Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special-K-

Zappa AC Combos

I've almost finished compiling the combos from the Zappa tutorials. Some of them are going to be inaccurate, either due to my still somewhat limited technical prowess, or just not understanding how they work. All the same, there are some damn good combos in there.

the JI combo is 2hs (2 hits) sj s, k, s, dj s, hs spin. you get more hits usually. That sounds like the standard combo w/o jump install. I dont even know if its worth it much outside of fancier corner combos.

I can only get 2p 2k and never just a 2k after a naked 5h frc... I'm sure its more distance / character / standing dependant, however.

5d summon totally whiffs on venom everytime. unless its just really tight, but I just cancel it like usual... could be distance, either way.

I was talking about non-ch DP. I get those sometimes, too. It helps being able to react to a non ch and still get damage...

And I posted this but realize I gave my PS2 to a friend so I am GG-less for awhile... boo hoo

either way we should all collaborate...

Oh yeah, that's true. I'm terrible at air combos so ignore me anyways rofl.

2K doesn't chain on everyone, but I can usually throw it in anyways and still catch them. It's a tricky timing...

Hmm maybe I just cancel it really tightly every time then? Never really noticed...

Oh, but on non CH don't you HAVE to FRC? From my experience, nothing connects if you don't FRC. When I do FRc I still use 2H unless it's a counterhit, or else the hitstun doesn't last long enough (except for a SJ j.P which ruins the damage with proration anyways).

Wait, do you not have to FRC on CH with the DP? Wtf?

You don't have to but it's very difficult to combo on most characters if you don't. In general, only the really light charas will still be in the air by the time you can attack (bridget, for example, can be caught with a 5S, maybe even 2HS). FRC'ing is your best chance, period.

Any AA counter hit usually doesn't need an FRC if its on the tip. But for grounded dp frc, yeah, do it every time. I know 2h, but I couldn't ever get it to work on Eddie and some other characters, I know my timing cant be that bad, so it cant work on everybody...

Hmm interesting, I don't have my system but I'll test it once I get a chance to see what's up. And also, WHAT, Zappa feels a lot easier on a pad for me... ESPECIALLY the dog since I can have it on a trigger.

I don't think Zappa is any better on pad or stick. I play stick so thats how I roll though. I couldn't play him on pad simply because I haven't done it in forever. =/

Also which JI sword combo are you talking about? 623HS(CH FRC) one where you do sjS jk js jcS jD works on everybody midscreen. You can't do much in the corner because of push back. I only do that specific JI combo on some of the light female characters. For everybody else, you can get in 1 or 2 extra hits. If you don't wanna do it thats fine. A good Zappa player does not need to have fancy combos. He's just only more fun to watch and thats where it ends. Honestly the JI combo I felt was more vital in slash before 623HS recieved proration in AC. I still feel AA CH 2H JI combo is still good though.

Cool, thats what I thought. I always try it on characters in the corner and start whiffing stuff. I see a lot of more versatile combos with smaller hits in the corner off the JI. I just dont get if the 2h 2nd hit is worth all the pushback or not.

I still can't quite wrap my mind around JI, or how it even works. Like, it just confuses the hell outta me. I like Zappa on stick more because the pad feels too congested for my tastes. Especially when I have the dog. It's all mental, really.

I don't think Zappa is any better on pad or stick. I play stick so thats how I roll though. I couldn't play him on pad simply because I haven't done it in forever. =/

Also which JI sword combo are you talking about? 623HS(CH FRC) one where you do sjS jk js jcS jD works on everybody midscreen. You can't do much in the corner because of push back. I only do that specific JI combo on some of the light female characters. For everybody else, you can get in 1 or 2 extra hits. If you don't wanna do it thats fine. A good Zappa player does not need to have fancy combos. He's just only more fun to watch and thats where it ends. Honestly the JI combo I felt was more vital in slash before 623HS recieved proration in AC. I still feel AA CH 2H JI combo is still good though.

Which move is Jump installed in that one? Is it DP? Cuz that sounds really awkward to me...

Cool, thats what I thought. I always try it on characters in the corner and start whiffing stuff. I see a lot of more versatile combos with smaller hits in the corner off the JI. I just dont get if the 2h 2nd hit is worth all the pushback or not.

Yeah, I tested last night, 5D Summon doesn't work on venom. Totally thought it did. I guess you'll have to do a impossible dust to get the summon off that huh? Also, tested DP FRC 2H on Eddie, the whole combo works so...

I still can't quite wrap my mind around JI, or how it even works. Like, it just confuses the hell outta me.

I like Zappa on stick more because the pad feels too congested for my tastes. Especially when I have the dog. It's all mental, really.

Jump install is essentially canceling a move with a jump, but before the jump comes out (because jumps have startup) you do ANOTHER move on the ground and it keeps the 'air' state, even though you're actually on the ground. Once you do another move that puts you into the air or, alternatively, do a jump off of another Jump cancellable move, you can do a super jump for more hits then do another jump, which isn't normally possible.

Example: Naked 2HS 8 6HS RC j.k 9j.S j.D is one. It's kind of absolutely terrible but it's just an example, and you can use it to learn how to do Jump installs since 2HS is such a long move. The way that you know it works is that after the 6HS RC, you can jump in the air.

Which move is Jump installed in that one? Is it DP? Cuz that sounds really awkward to me...

Sorry I left out some of the combo because I assumed you would know what which combo I'm talking about.

623HS (CH FRC) 66 5S 8 2HS (2hit) sjS jK jS jcS jHS/D.

4 Corner look at this combo. Notice how you input an up motion as the 5S hits (hence the 8). Do that quickly and then perform a 2HS. If you super jump cancel the 2HS you'll notice that you'll be able to jump a second time. =D Understand?

Sorry I left out some of the combo because I assumed you would know what which combo I'm talking about.

623HS (CH FRC) 66 5S 8 2HS (2hit) sjS jK jS jcS jHS/D.

4 Corner look at this combo. Notice how you input an up motion as the 5S hits (hence the 8). Do that quickly and then perform a 2HS. If you super jump cancel the 2HS you'll notice that you'll be able to jump a second time. =D Understand?

Oh, ok, I know that one. Well, not really KNOW it since I don't often get the DP to land midscreen or in an ideal situation to do that combo, but I've seen it before. I'll learn it later:vbang:

Example: Naked 2HS 8 6HS RC j.k 9j.S j.D is one. It's kind of absolutely terrible but it's just an example, and you can use it to learn how to do Jump installs since 2HS is such a long move. The way that you know it works is that after the 6HS RC, you can jump in the air.

i don't think you can jump cancel jk... you probably meant js

but who cares, just an example (crappy) combo.

Oh yeah, it was j.P derp. I forgot that's why you used j.P instead of j.K, since j.S is too long and j.HS hits the wrong way lol. I've been fooling around with zappa's air moves to see if they are good in certain situations; Dog j.P of course, has the falling pressure ability, but everything else is almost completely combo-only except for the few obvious ones (sword j.HS crossover trick, ghost j.HS crossover/pressure trick). Naked/dog j.S is surprisingly good jump in, since it's pretty quick and looks a little awkward, and has good range; This is interchangeable with j.D if you need more room or are thinking they'll get hit (blowback effect). j.D also pushes them back more, while j.S puts you (normally) just outside of there grab range, allowing you to do 2K once you land or something. J.D also has backwards range, as we all know. I think off a j.D (maybe has to be counterhit) you can do 2HS on lighter characters into an air combo... I can't test it right now but I'm pretty sure that should work. Aside from that extended ghost combo, the ghosts don't have too much do they? It's mostly just mixup and pressure tricks. Anyone got ideas for them?

Oh yeah, it was j.P derp. I forgot that's why you used j.P instead of j.K, since j.S is too long and j.HS hits the wrong way lol.

I've been fooling around with zappa's air moves to see if they are good in certain situations; Dog j.P of course, has the falling pressure ability, but everything else is almost completely combo-only except for the few obvious ones (sword j.HS crossover trick, ghost j.HS crossover/pressure trick). Naked/dog j.S is surprisingly good jump in, since it's pretty quick and looks a little awkward, and has good range; This is interchangeable with j.D if you need more room or are thinking they'll get hit (blowback effect). j.D also pushes them back more, while j.S puts you (normally) just outside of there grab range, allowing you to do 2K once you land or something. J.D also has backwards range, as we all know. I think off a j.D (maybe has to be counterhit) you can do 2HS on lighter characters into an air combo... I can't test it right now but I'm pretty sure that should work.

Aside from that extended ghost combo, the ghosts don't have too much do they? It's mostly just mixup and pressure tricks. Anyone got ideas for them?

i believe both naked/dog jd and js will just get yourself anti-aired... unless they don't expect it.

i just dont think zappa is meant to be a character in the air except for sword hs/s and ghost jhs/toss. everything else is free anti air and doesnt even get you much if you land it. Jd is only worth it in the corner because you can combo/summon off it but its quite hard to land a random jd.

non naked IAD jp is okay, but usually only useful if you jc it off a ghost/sword normal.

also sometimes its fun to do midscreen c.5s jp delay jhs... usually doesnt do anything though.

Jumping Attacks 101: jP - Good, fast, mashable, JCable. Decent air-to-air, crappy jump in. jK- Longest range, good air-to-air, doesn't hit downward enough to jump in with. No JC. jS- Again, none of Zappa's jumping attacks have any kind of downward angle, and the other attacks come out fast, keep it to the combos. jHS- obvious. jD - Too slow ot be practical, but has a strong hotbox once it finally gets out there. Best used as a crossup. It's really tricky, but at one point in the animation it an hit behind him for a very ambiguous crossup that can lead to aircombos off the launch. Sum and point - Naked Zappa's air normals suck unless they are knocked down. Stick to mashing jP.

Oh, yeah, I'm the biggest advocate of "STAY THE FUCK OUT OF THE AIR" but I was just mentioning a few things I noticed. j.S is relatively safe as a jump in because you can IAD while doing mind game stuff, but only good if the enemy has no idea wtf you're doing. I know how easy zappa is to anti-air, but corner j.D will totally confuse anyone (as it'll still crossup in a weird way if you land 'on' them with it).

I use the ghost IAD jS on tall characters, the ghosts have to be tailing you pretty well without the jS whiffing because they might be so far behind you. From there I might do a jK landing combo or jHS. I use the sword jS for everything, seriously. I just randomly start air poking, it's extra annoying and JCable. With the dog it's only jP until something connects and then I start trying other buttons depending on my momentum.