Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skitz

Baiken/Anji Strategies: Countering the Counters

I'm mainly a Potemkin player and in my local GG scene I'm what you would call the 'second best.' There are only like 7 of us that play the game and I manage to do well against S tier characters like Sol and Slayer, and even manage to score a majority of the wins against characters like Dizzy (though my friend that plays her is a mediocre player) that Potemkin has a disadvantage against. I haven't found any Axl/Testament players in my are as of yet so I'm still curious as to how much difficulty they could give me. However, two characters in particular are frustrating me and I lose heavily against them: Baiken and Anji. It's all because of those $%*#ing counter moves of theirs :mad: My friend, who is argued as the 'number one' in our local scene, spams them every chance he gets. I managed to beat him a good deal of the time through strategy and predicting his moves, but he counters that by predicting my strategy and countering with his strategies. Normally, I can deal with this, but every time it is those damn counter moves that give him the majority of wins no matter how many times we go back and forth and I manage to get ahead in the slightest. So, basically, I'm looking to the Dustloop community for aid and tips against these counter moves. Any bit would help honestly, and I'm sure there are a lot of players who find their countering to be an annoyance as well.

Welcome to Dustloop, Skitz! I recommend checking out the Potemkin match-up thread for advice on how to handle Baiken and Anji. The thread seems a little disorganized, but at the very least you could pose your questions to them; they'd be able to answer your questions better than the general DL community, and they'd be more likely to answer them in the first place.

Also, purely for the record, neither Sol nor Slayer is S-tier. Sol is C-ish; Slayer is a solid A-tier. S-tier in GGXXAC is Eddie and, debatably, Testament. Check out the tier list thread for more information. If you're looking to take your GG to other players, check out the Matchfinder forum and post in whatever thread seems relevant to you.

I have always been debating with my friends on Sol's tier class, but seeing how wicked he could be and how ungodly simple it is to flow into combo chains I always assumed S tier. And Slayer? Come now, he's close to S but I'll give him an A. The things you can do with Slayer are worse than Sol. Eddie and Testament...Yeah, when I think about it, definitely S tier material. Don't know how they slipped my mind. Though, I have yet to come across an exception Eddie/Testament player. As for the Potemkin Match Up thread, I did give that a look but it doesn't mention anything on how to deal with the counters. Though helpful in some respects, it didn't give me much on Baiken. It just tells you to avoid them and Tatami Mats, the latter of which I already know how to abuse.

I have always been debating with my friends on Sol's tier class, but seeing how wicked he could be and how ungodly simple it is to flow into combo chains I always assumed S tier. And Slayer? Come now, he's close to S but I'll give him an A. The things you can do with Slayer are worse than Sol. Eddie and Testament...Yeah, when I think about it, definitely S tier material. Don't know how they slipped my mind. Though, I have yet to come across an exception Eddie/Testament player.

As for the Potemkin Match Up thread, I did give that a look but it doesn't mention anything on how to deal with the counters. Though helpful in some respects, it didn't give me much on Baiken. It just tells you to avoid them and Tatami Mats, the latter of which I already know how to abuse.

What I'm saying is that you'd be better off asking about how to deal with counters in that thread than here. Someone there would probably have a better answer than any random passers-by in this section of the site.

What I'm saying is that you'd be better off asking about how to deal with counters in that thread than here. Someone there would probably have a better answer than any random passers-by in this section of the site.

Ah, I see. Thanks. Is there a way to move this thread to that particular section?

Ah, I see. Thanks. Is there a way to move this thread to that particular section?

There is, but it involves moderators. Just copy-paste your question into a new post in the match-up thread.

Would agree with the buster plan.

Well, yes, Pot Buster is a life saver but counter moves like Baiken's 412 S and especially 412 HS escape Pot Buster most of the time. Did anyone find a way to compensate for these moves?

Baiken can only do 412S and 412H after blocking a move. You can't block a Pot Buster since it's a throw. Just don't throw out a bunch of normals before you do it, if you're worried about counters (although you can Pot Buster to grab all of the grounded counters anyway, if you're in range).

If you're afraid of counters, use jump cancelable moves like 5K and c.S/f.S. You can avoid most of them on reaction. Again, cancelling any normal with hammer fall (break) allows you to "eat" the counter hit. Finally, doing 5P is a great way to avoid counters, as it has a small hit recovery and you can combo into anything on hit. Generally against Baiken, she will most likely try to avoid you by throwing tatamis. Once she gets you to block it, she will rush toward you. Remember that 6P beats most of her J.HS. It gives you a counter hit and very big damage !! The Slide head unblockable on wake up owns her a lot. Learn the timing and abuse it ! She doesn't have much health, so you should be able to win in 2 combo. So never give up on defense ^^ Against Anji's, the best thing is to do low hits like 5K, 2K and 2D, as it breaks his autogards most of the time. Again, your 6P beat's his air attacks, but it's harder as he can delay his landing with his j.D... His fujin is unthrowable, so don't try to PB it if you don't want to get counter hit... He can zone you with his shitsu (buterfly). Don't rush on it. In one of his fujin follow, he'll throw fans at you. Just flivk them, as it's the only solid pressure option he has whithout tension... His others (cross ups, low, whatever...) can be punished on reaction and/or when instant blocked. If you're not confident, use the combo 5K, 2S, 2D for the oki to punish them. Hope it helps...

If you're afraid of counters, use jump cancelable moves like 5K and c.S/f.S. You can avoid most of them on reaction.

Generally speaking as someone who sometimes plays Baiken, I'm usually not too worried about people jumping out of my counters, since p counter can still land if the jump isn't spaced right (especially on a large target like Pot) and Baiken has pretty solid AA. It seems to work for some people, though, so if it works for you, I guess keep doing it.

Usually what works best against me (or for me when I play against Baiken) are quick recovering moves that can be used to bait counters, and then punish on block or whiff. I'm not sure what Pot's best moves are for doing this, but I'd guess 5P or any air move that recovers instantly on landing done very low to the ground. However, these are not failsafe, as pretty much any move is still vulnerable to buffered counters no matter how quickly it recovers, but those are very hard to do consistently. I'm much more afraid of that and throws than people jumping. =P

And reacting to counters is pretty hard: p counter comes out in 12 frames and FB counter in 11, so those two are pretty much unreactable. S counter comes out in 17 and H counter in 19, so they can be hard to as well, and Pot has a 6F jump startup, so you pretty much have to 1F jump if you want to react to them.

His fujin is unthrowable, so don't try to PB it if you don't want to get counter hit...

Actually, this is incorrect. Fuujin has no throw invulnerability. His 3S does, though.

Actually, this is incorrect. Fuujin has no throw invulnerability. His 3S does, though.

My bad. I was referring to the "Rin" part after the fujin : "1-22F invincible to throws."

Because it's a slow move, you may be tempted to throw with a PB... Best thing to counter it is to throw a low hit (5K ou 2K) before it hits you.

My advice on doing jump cancelable moves was in order to not give a free counter to Baiken. It at least give you the chance to block.

Hammer fall FRC can be a good way to bait counters too ! The block stun is huge, and you have the advantage. So you can go for a throw.

lolz For bacon her couters are annoying sometimes but are useless in the match MAINLY. For superman,sakura,run, and the anchor are whateva it is = just cancel your normals into HF. As long as u frc or rc hf ur good. Max range f.S,2S, and HS cancel to heat/HF if they do superman or 2HS if you're feeling randy. no need to jump cancel strings, just do safe options. 5p is the only starting normal u need 5k/6k jus to mix it up sometimes. Dont jus mash out strings ,and delay them sometimes. 5p on blox> buster wins this match. Cuz u have so many options off of 5p. If they block 6k u better cancel to either jump/2hs>hf/SH/mirror/pb. 5p options 5p>buster 5p>5k nothing>buster If u think sakura, anchor ,or run is coming just pb after said normal. If u missed punishment for a run counter, just normal grab her. Anchor safe jump j.s owns it. Even if it hits , it won't be counter. Free whateva. but really, I mean really. Just knock her down and unblox her til u advance to the next round. So u guy are getting hit by anji's gp's? Real talkz, he's only gettin those from a telegraph jump in, ass and lucky on 5k/6k/hf mixup, and a burst punisher. Just tight'n up and dont throw out random moves. Funjin just 5k/2k/HF that shit.