Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

Valkenhayn vs Hakumen

So can anyone from either side give me a breakdown of what neutral is like in this matchup? I can't figure out if I should just try and tag Valk out of the air with jabs or just brave the storm until I get enough meter and a lucky ass read.

So can anyone from either side give me a breakdown of what neutral is like in this matchup? I can't figure out if I should just try and tag Valk out of the air with jabs or just brave the storm until I get enough meter and a lucky ass read.

That's basically it. Valkenhayn controls the pace of the match, and you want to kill him in 2-3 reads. Easier said than down of course, its definitely in our favour. We still have garbage options on defense, so applying pressure is still effective.

Most Valk's will go for w.6D > w.jA > w.5C xN. So if you are blocking him, you want to IB w.5C and punish his command dash. Of course it gets harder when the Valk knows how to wolf brake.

Your 4C is good at keeping him honest on the ground, and you can catch him if he's wolfing around on the ground with your Gurren or even better, Kishuu.

There's not much to it besides that honestly. Make the read, kill him. But like you said, you'll have to brave the storm, lol.

If I recall, 4C doesn't hit him in wolf mode anymore, but I have to confirm; I know it definitely got a hitbox nerf, but I don't know if that effects hitting him too.

Appreciate the words, but one last thing; is there any distinction to wolf brake? Like some some sort tell or visual cue that gives it away. I want to know, even if its just a fraction of a second.

Wolf brake typically has a very brief visual cue where he spins in the air, if done correctly, for a few frames (or a lot of frames depending on the brake) and in certain ground loops it will only appear as him wolf dashing into the ground (a few white "dash" lines trailing him to indicate the direction).  It may be hard to see depending how it is used, especially during his pressure, and it is even harder to see coming from certain strings like w.5C loops.

I'm not an expert on Valkenhayn myself, but I have been researching him a bit in the past few weeks.

I would suggest looking at these videos regardless of whether you play with or against Valk if you have difficulty understanding how he moves with wolf form.  First one is on wolf brake, second is on movement in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZR8i5xIz2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maA5Nu0u-TA