Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raiza57

Revised JB/JC vivace/setup/OS.

As many of you, my fellow Carl players, are aware, we possess a UB reset that is safe from all supers and UB resets. While we may not be punishable, if the opponent Dp’s, we are forced to block which leaves us susceptible to being pressured if the opponent has 50heat. Applying a theory, inspired by SKD’s own idea, which utilizes your opponent’s frame window, this can allow you to OS their options on wake-up. Elaborating a bit more, this setup combines the use of any safe jump, specifically our UB reset, with vivace to avoid possible reversal options.

To do this, combine the input for Carls unblockable reset j2c>ja>ja>jb/jc During this time do not use  ada. During the Ja>ja release the D button, and then, instead of doing 3D simply allow Ada to turn off; in order to get Vivace B immediately after pressing JB input 236B. If done correctly, you should have completed the input for Vivace, and pressed the B-button after the 236 input, during the active frames of JB (As soon as the JB connects with the opponent). If the JB whiffs(Forced to miss due to invincibility frames from either a super or DP), Carl will Vivace and be completely safe.

“Well gosh Akira, it’s nice that you can make the DP whiff but, what if they don’t DP? Ada won’t be able to cover us and we won’t get a UB reset.” This is only partially correct. While it is true that you do lose the ability, to perform the UB reset you do not lose the ability to continue pressure. Actually , more mix up options open up for Carl at this point. Always, always always!!!!! Press 2a>2a(hold D), the reason for this is that if you have done Vivace, the timing for the press of the D button in order to avoid potential DP’s will be the same. If you have done Jb/Jc>2a>2a(Hold D) because the opponent did not use a DP, then you will need to react within the time of doing the 2a>2a(hold D); then perform the following string. 5a(2D)>5a>2B>5B>6B>2D.

If you haven’t already guessed if the opponent tries to attack you, even on IB’ing a 5-frame 5a from the opponent will trade with 2D. All DP’s will be blockable, so simply hold down-back after 6B. Some opponents may get opened up by this pathetic excuse of a ‘Hard to blockable’ setup, so pay attention! If the opponent blocked this 2D, you have the option to go into a Ja fuzzy; which will lead into an UB reset or RIGHT BACK INTO THE SAME SITUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a potential loop into death. Since Ada will be turned off with each repetition you will conserve meter. The only option for the opponent to escape would be to potentially eat the 2D and get combo’ed.

“Oh cool!! That sounds really nice Akira but, what if they just DP me? If I use vivace that puts a very large distance between us and we both recover around the same time. So why would they ever not DP?” Do you remember that part where I said always hold down the D button during the same time? If you do this, Ada will turn on Mid Vivace. By reacting to the vivace, you can attack using Ada to punish with either Anima (Fatal 4.5K meterless) oki or, if you find Anima starter to difficult you can go into Tenerezza and apply a 66-jump JC to follow up the combo(Assuming here, didn’t test this route because it’s clearly less optimal).

Please remember, the requirement for this situation is that you can properly safe jump the opponent. Therefore characters that have special attacks or supers with frame 1 super armor, such as Tager's MTW DD or Noel's Fanrir DD which stop the safe jump, will stop this setup completely. There is a time and place for everything; characters that lack reversal options would get hit regardless, so there is no essential need to do the JB/JC vivace OS. But you can still preform the safe jump setup and exclude Ada's 3D to utilize the setup and potentially go back into the Jb/Jc safe jump loop.

This, more or less, sums up the theory that I was going for. The concept is that if the opponent truly wishes to escape they must juggle the option of either DP’ing and eating the 4.5k combo or eating the 2D OH from the follow up option. Keep in mind, this does make utilizing 50 heat to loop into another reset worth the heat. Please post any comments, questions or concerns; this situation may still have holes in them so lets work together to plug those holes. Good luck my Carl players, and GODSPEED!!!!!!!!!

Edit- Alright, after a quick conversation, backdashing on frame 1 will allow the person to escape and punish Carl completely. However, there is a way to interrupt this, by simply replacing the Vivace with the current setup with your own backdash and leaving Ada on. This setup will still function fundamentally the same. But slightly better for spacing and punishing. Please be aware, this setup should be used interchangably with your UB Jc/4D reset. As time progresses, I believe creating character specific setups will be necessary.

PS: Please thank Raiza for being kind enough to wake up even though he has work in the morning to copy and paste this. Also, a combo video showcasing some more dangerous Carl tech along with snips of this reset will be in the video. If you havent already, please subscribe to my YT channel-> Maurice Jackson
By Akira-Shiro