Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan422

King of Fighters XIV (PS4)

lol, their parent company may be based in China now but its not like everyone was let go, I really don't think most of you understand how company acquisitions work. Also, no Japanese production is just that, nearly every project has international contractors; typically from China and Korea. Regardless, the key staff are definitely SNK employees as they've been working on this for about 2 years (publicly).

You all make me sad . . .

Also, "the game can't improve that much in a year" you clearly underestimate how much Japanese companies slave drive their employees lol and look at SFV that shit's improved a shit ton since it's initial announcement. And I still don't understand the correlation between graphics and solid gameplay, which is really all anyone should care about.

I wish we'd at least get confirmation on Solo or Team Play primary cause right now we only have Kyo, Iori, and Leona as confirmed characters

When and where was Leona confirmed?

And, this game is graphically unacceptable for a $60 PS4 title. If this was from some no-name company no one cared about and only released on PSN, i'd be more forgiving. This looks awful. SNK really needs to stop trying to do 3D anything.

SNK has been constantly updating the image they use for the recruitment ad for KoF development, Leona was the latest model, shown months before XIV's announcement. And no, the models on the ads are completely different style than that of the pachislot game. Sides, Leona is pretty much a given.

Now where's your source that this is a retail $60 game!? ' ^'

We're seeing alpha footage, I have no reason why everyone is jumping down SNK's throat so early, especially when there are bigger, more prevalent issues to sweat lol. At least wait for a real trailer.

Life must be difficult being so short sighted .v.

We should be celebrating the fact that SNK, the literal Phoenix of the game industry, fights and claws its way so hard to continue bringing a beloved series for over two decades in a medium where it is becoming increasingly difficult to produce the scale of surface level quality that shallow minded consumers to validate their spent dollars but are then quick to turn on should the product fail where it matters most.

KoF is back again, that brings literal tears to my eyes and I cannot wait to see more of this new hope. That was, is, and always shall be my first impression.

You're not seeing alpha footage of a game that's less than 7 months away. The graphics can change some, but not that substantially, and SNK has a track record of bad-looking 3D.

Don't get me wrong, i'm still going to try it, and if it's good then i'll just deal with the jank graphics (I dealt with ugly ass SF4 for how long, and that wasn't even good really). I'm not going to skip it solely over graphics, but the gameplay needs to be stellar in exchange. If it is, i'll say nothing and enjoy it. 

We have the broadest projected release date next to "Coming Soon" as we have no idea when in 2016 they're planning for this, I doubt this will even make Q2, no way are they planning Q1, not to mention we know how bad comapnies (especially the Japanese of late) are at keeping to schedule *coughP5cough* plus the fact the SNK has been publicly recruiting people for high end 3D artist for 2 years keeps me hopeful. I don't think for a second that SNK wanted to show XIV in its current state but Sony (who is likely footing some of the bill) was like "it's now or never" that is likely why the teaser site made a point that more trailers were on their way from the get go.

Also if that's how you feel, why be so aggressively antagonistic? lol

Still not changing my mind at how horrible this game looks

And this comes from someone who tolerated Neo Geo graphics for years

Expectations are low

I agree with SoXBa, I really don't care how it looks bad when they showcased it, besides, as mentioned before, its still work-in-progress, so yeah, I'll wait for better results sooner or later, and wait to try it out if possible.

I wanted a dream match title, it's tradition dammit T-T

Also, apparently the new shareholders/owners/whatever want to turn SNK into a mass-media thing (like marvel).

I thought the Chinese deal had fallen through?

edit: I don't see anybody being aggressively antagonistic, or even antagonistic at all lol

And this comes from someone who tolerated Neo Geo graphics for years

Tolerated, WTF? Eolith aside, the Neo KOFs had consistently impressive graphics given the hardware. Not on the level of SNK's own Last Blade or Garou, mind you, but very well drawn and appealing. Several of KOF 99's backgrounds are still jaw-dropping today.

Unless you're referring to how they kept using upscaled Neo sprites for the characters in Atomiswave games, though I thought they still looked fine against the backgrounds of NGBC and XI. Some of the new Neo-resolution sprites they made for the Atomiswave were downright awesome, such as Neo Dio & Jyazu's reappearances and Ocha-Maru in SS Tenka.

I wanted a dream match title, it's tradition dammit T-T

Also, apparently the new shareholders/owners/whatever want to turn SNK into a mass-media thing (like marvel).

It's way too soon for another dream match after the plotless XII, and fans are starving for a new saga after over ten years since Sacred Treasures started. I don't expect the Chinese "multimedia" plans to pan out any differently than how SNKP had already been operating on their own post-Atomiswave, except that there will probably be even more licensed crossovers with Asian MOBAs and the like. The influx of cash brought by the purchase will no doubt do them some good in enabling them to work on stuff we might actually care about, and may be responsible for giving XIV the push it needed to finally get a formal reveal. SNKP's change of ownership might even result in them focusing less on pachinko, since that shit's illegal in China (at least on paper lol).

Was kind of hoping that IGS would buy them out instead, though. Taiwan > mainland, and IGS has always been SNK's closest spiritual brethren in the Chinese-speaking world, even designing their own cartridge-based arcade system very much like the Neo. They also made Martial Masters, which I'd say is at least a better fighter than the Eolith KOF entries and XII.

Neo Geo graphics until KOF2000 = awesome

The rest are just a bunch of recycling, some of them tolerable but seeing shit dated from 1996 became too tiring

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

The rest are just a bunch of recycling, some of them tolerable but seeing shit dated from 1996 became too tiring

Well the original SNK went bankrupt right after and for the most part the gameplay wasn't any better until Playmore happened

It's way too soon for another dream match after the plotless XII, and fans are starving for a new saga after over ten years since Sacred Treasures started. I don't expect the Chinese "multimedia" plans to pan out any differently than how SNKP had already been operating on their own post-Atomiswave, except that there will probably be even more licensed crossovers with Asian MOBAs and the like. The influx of cash brought by the purchase will no doubt do them some good in enabling them to work on stuff we might actually care about, and may be responsible for giving XIV the push it needed to finally get a formal reveal. SNKP's change of ownership might even result in them focusing less on pachinko, since that shit's illegal in China (at least on paper lol).

Was kind of hoping that IGS would buy them out instead, though. Taiwan > mainland, and IGS has always been SNK's closest spiritual brethren in the Chinese-speaking world, even designing their own cartridge-based arcade system very much like the Neo. They also made Martial Masters, which I'd say is at least a better fighter than the Eolith KOF entries and XII.

I'm not too familiar with the business world/aspect of the whole thing (although from how you put it I'm more than happy with what happened), I was just regurgitating what Wikipedia said.

as far as having a reboot/new saga (any idea which it is?) instead of a dream match, the dream matches were always my favorite BECAUSE they had no plot, I'm not against having a story, but losing characters because of the plot is irritating to me. I know it lets them add more characters without making the roster impossible to balance (at least I assume that's part of it), but losing your main sucks... sorry I got off topic (I think)

Well, other than that, I've read on my soicials that SNK-P is (possibly) closing their Pachi-Slot business, so yeah, now they can actually focus on KOF XIV more. Ugh, sooner or later, their Patch-Slot stuff was gonna bite them in the ass.

Just hopefully they can improve on the game more than that 1st trailer from TGS. And hope to see that their 2nd trailer has more effort, and maybe some character reveals.

as far as having a reboot/new saga (any idea which it is?) instead of a dream match, the dream matches were always my favorite BECAUSE they had no plot, I'm not against having a story, but losing characters because of the plot is irritating to me. I know it lets them add more characters without making the roster impossible to balance (at least I assume that's part of it), but losing your main sucks... sorry I got off topic (I think)

Ultimately it didn't mean much in XIII anyway. Mature and Vice were brought back as "ghosts," long after they had been killed by Iori in '96 (they even have transparent alt colors). SNKP paid good money to get that Mature sprite for XII and they weren't going to let it go to waste, continuity be damned. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ash got the same treatment for XIV, despite having been erased from the timeline.

Color me unsurprised that SNKP's overinvestment in pachinko turned out to be a colossal waste for everyone involved. The industry's days have been numbered for years now, because the younger Japanese generations who grew up with video game controllers in their hands have no patience for that noisy bullshit. I still feel like they're only finally pulling out because the Sinos in charge said so, though.

It looks fine. I'd guess you'd prefer everyone to be mud-painted, square-jawed, bulbous steroid freaks sculpted out of clay.

I like KOF normally, these graphics are just like, PS2 quality.

So what do we know about the roster? I know we have Kyo and Iori, and someone mentioned something about Leona. But is there an estimated size yet? Is it still going to be split up in teams of 3?

I haven't really been keeping up with 14, I'm assuming there won't be much new information until the thing in Dec, but it never hurts to ask.