Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan422

King of Fighters XIV (PS4)

Interview with translation

OK, a proper translation from Orochinagi, courtesy of

ALX

http://www.orochinagi.com/2015/10/interview-with-kofxiv-producer-kofxiii-hits-top-3-sales-charts-fgc-ebook-free-pdf

Quick Summary:

• Yasuyuki Oda was the battle designer for SF4…..!
  • SNK are aware of public concerns over KOF14
  • Producer’s favorite is KOF94
  • Producer is amazed at popularity of KOF in China, but doesn’t mention which one ^^ (KOF97')
  • KOFIV is a new saga.

Yasuyuki Oda was the battle designer for SF4…..!

This is...worrisome. Were there really no veteran employees up for the position left at SNKP, or at least staff from XIII? Unless you count Critical Counter in XII, KOF's still never had a real "comeback mechanic" to date and I'd prefer it stayed that way. Sure, the earlier games gave you infinite SDMs at low health, but they still had no special priority advantage, and most of them were highly punishable while being difficult to land consistently.

I'm sure he likes '94 the best because it has no short hops and plays the closest to Street Fighter II. I've never heard of anyone else calling '94 their favorite - I'd hope that anyone with a preference for those stiff, early mechanics could recognize that the similar '95 is an improved and superior game in every way.

Dumbing down SF's gameplay and using really crappy models worked for SF4, maybe they're hoping the same combination of stupid-simple gameplay and terrible models works in KOF14?

9 hours ago, Leonard-Helsing said:

Just throwing this out there, but apparently he also worked with the old SNK before. Make of that what you will.

He doesn't have any known credits before SFIV, though he might have used a pseudonym that isn't known. He may have had some marginal position at SNK for a short period of time; Capcom and SNK staff used to jump back and forth between the two companies pretty frequently in the nineties. At any rate, SFIV stands as the defining work of his career and a strong indicator of what we should expect from him. He was also the lead director of the Arcade Edition update.

Oh jeez, get ready for some revenge meter.

That said, this was kind of expect; as fighting games get more mainstream, they attract a more casual crowd and therefore, they create mechanics to help benefit casual play. Even Guilty Gear did this and SFV is currently doing this. Its happening.

Can people please stop considering comeback mechanics as some Devil's ploy against hardcore gaming? They are not inherently bad, and SFIV ultras are far from being the worst example of them. A comeback mechanic alone is never enough to let a newbie win against a more experienced opponent.

On 10/30/2015, 3:39:48, SoWL said:

Can people please stop considering comeback mechanics as some Devil's ploy against hardcore gaming? They are not inherently bad

This is true, but when they're handled badly, they invariably wreak an awful effect on the overall game that comes close to ruining it. Of course, Ultras are hardly the only thing fundamentally wrong with SFIV.

and SFIV ultras are far from being the worst example of them.

They are the #2 worst, behind MvC3's X-Factor. Ultras are terrible in part because they completely lock your opponent out of using certain moves safely once you have enough Revenge meter (i.e. no more fireballs against Abel once he has an Ultra ready). SFxT's Pandora is a legitimately good and risky comeback mechanic that deserved a better game, though. Other positive examples that improved their respective games (or at least didn't interfere much with them) are Tekken 6's Rage Mode, DOA5's Power Blow/Power Launcher, and Xrd's Hell Fire.

Glad to see my favorite character, Leona return but 2 little disappointing design on her. Yellow tank top? (i prefer the same black color for KOFXIII) and a short ponytail? (it's needs to be longer than that...) :/

new trailer

looks instresting to me but i think they need to go bak to how kyo was and make him a little buff he looks way too young now and why use a the looks like didnt put too much thought into his design  not to mention his voice and apperance doesn't fit well together but the other character they did well on

Sigh, I am truly sorry but I simply can't get past the aesthetics here. I love Leona and it is (usually) always nice to see her but geez this design looks..."alien". Not as bad as Kyo but still pretty darn close. At this point I fear for the next reveals rather than feeling hyped (which is probably the complete opposite of what game trailers ought to do). I can only hope that they don't use Vanessa and Shen Woo (my 2 most favorite characters) for this game. And I know most people will tell me that "aesthetics do not matter" in a game and I can respect that opinion, but please remember that games are a visual interactive medium. Trailers are supposed to look appealing and make you excited for something, yet this is having the reverse effect on people judging by the dislikes of this video and SNK removing comments.

I'll make my final judgements on the game post-release but from what has been revealed so far, and this going purely by the 2 trailers we've had: it doesn't look good for either visuals or gameplay (the movement looks stiff and awkward, not mention how the red-background during Iori's Neomax clashes with the now 3D design). I'll keep an eye out for this game but I am not getting any hopes up of seeing anything improving.

This game looks like ass. Graphics and animation wise it looks even worse than SFIV

Heck, Dreamcast's DOA2 models look WAAAAAY better.

RIP KOF

• South Town Team: Geese Howard

I no longer give any fucks about the graphics.

If this is true, SNK CAN HAVE ALL OF MY GODDAMN MONEY. THE GEESE MAY FINALLY BE LEESE ONCE AGAIN!

I still think the models themselves are fine, but something about the ropey animations coupled with the camera placement indeed feels really off. I think the aesthetics would have held up much better had this been another Maximum Impact game with 3D movement and the characters much closer to the camera. Hell, it doesn't even look as appealing as any of the Hyper Neo Geo 64 fighters.

I'm with Vulcan in not trying to judge how it plays until unedited video of a full match with a visible HUD is available. Of course, my opinion is probably going to skew towards the negative, because snappy editing always makes things look more exciting than they actually are, and this trailer still made it seem anything but exciting.

Have they said ANYTHING about an arcade release yet? If this is really going to be the first main series KOF that goes straight to console, it doesn't speak well for the amount of faith they have in it. There should at least be multiple open beta tests like with SFV if they don't want the game to be utterly broken out of the gate.

3 hours ago, TAI-X said:

I still think the models themselves are fine, but something about the ropey animations coupled with the camera placement indeed feels really off. I think the aesthetics would have held up much better had this been another Maximum Impact game with 3D movement and the characters much closer to the camera. Hell, it doesn't even look as appealing as any of the Hyper Neo Geo 64 fighters.

I'm with Vulcan in not trying to judge how it plays until unedited video of a full match with a visible HUD is available. Of course, my opinion is probably going to skew towards the negative, because snappy editing always makes things look more exciting than they actually are, and this trailer still made it seem anything but exciting.

Have they said ANYTHING about an arcade release yet? If this is really going to be the first main series KOF that goes straight to console, it doesn't speak well for the amount of faith they have in it. There should at least be multiple open beta tests like with SFV if they don't want the game to be utterly broken out of the gate.

Sony's footing KOF14, so it's coming out on PS4. That's as much as we know about releases. But, it stands to reason it'd come straight to PS4 in that case, and probably an arcade revision later.