Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan422

King of Fighters XIV (PS4)

Do you have a source confirming that Sony is actually funding KOF XIV's development and offering technical assistance in the same manner as with SFV? The fact that the game was revealed at a Sony conference isn't a confirmation of that in itself, and there should be no need for moneyhats now that SNKP found a wealthy buyer. They probably just decided to skip the Xbox One because there's almost no market for it in Asia.

Also, there's no precedent for any SNK game ever jumping to arcades after first debuting on console, and the KOF series hasn't already been absent from arcades for several main series entries, like Dead or Alive was from DOA3 to DOA5U. While Maximum Impact didn't arrive in arcades until its third entry, Regulation A was an entirely standalone game designed for the arcade market and not an update to MI2.

So since nobody has posted this, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNkGxgMkcBE

It is a comparison between KOFXIV and XIII with the (supposed) intention of indicating that "No really players, XIV is totally on the same level that XIII was The core gameplay is still that KOF spirit" . They even slow it down so you can notice the motion similarities easier. I dunno about you fellows but all I can see is how XIV looks so rough and lifeless as opposed to XIII but you know, personal bias and all that jazz.

Only people who are defending this thing are... markets who aren't KOF biased.

I can tell Mexico, Central and South America loathes this thing. 2002 aside, game just feels... meh.

Andy Bogard dashes into KOF XIV! And yes, confirmation for PS Experience that they'll actually have it. (Even though it was mentioned in a PS Blog article before, but better to know if it will either way. Also, some slight character model updates I assume.)

Literally beat me by a minute, seeing Andy's new design is giving me flashbacks to Falcoon's Another designs (or really, any of his "fanart" in general) this both worries and slightly excites me if he has involvement (and would give some believable weight to that "leaked" roster).

I can't believe I let my friend talk me out of going to PSX .v.

5 minutes ago, SolxBaiken said:

Angel is the ONLY thing bad about this thing so far . . . ALSO LAST BLADE 2!!!!!!! SNK gimme to babies ; w;

Oh, I know, I felt the same way with Last Blade 2. I was just like "What?! Holy shit!" And sent the news to all my fighter buddies.

The more footage I see, the more I feel like they just shouldn't have gone for the close-ups with the in-game models. At least you won't be seeing them for too long in the matches themselves? The game looks fine in motion, that's honestly the only thing that matters.

Not too surprised about having Kula back, and having Angel return is certainly interesting. My wishlist isn't that long, and half of it got confirmed already. Too bad that the chances of Vice or Shen coming back aren't so good.

1 hour ago, SoWL said:

The more footage I see, the more I feel like they just shouldn't have gone for the close-ups with the in-game models. At least you won't be seeing them for too long in the matches themselves? The game looks fine in motion, that's honestly the only thing that matters.

Not too surprised about having Kula back, and having Angel return is certainly interesting. My wishlist isn't that long, and half of it got confirmed already. Too bad that the chances of Vice or Shen coming back aren't so good.

Well, this seems to give some credence to an old leak, that had the following:

• China Team: 恶魇青年 (?), 糖葫芦 (Tung Fu Rue), 枕头少年 (?)
  • Japan Team: 草蕹京 (Kyo Kusanagi), 二阶堂红丸 (Benimaru Nikaido), 大门五郎 (Goro Daimon)
  • Fatal Fury Team: Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, 东丈 (Joe Higashi)
  • Art of Fighting Team: 坂崎良 (Ryo Sakazaki), Robert Garcia, 坂崎百合 (Yuri Sakazaki)
  • K’ Team: K’, Maxima, Kula Diamond
  • Kim Team: 金家藩 (Kim Kaphwan), 他师父 (Kim’s Master), 他师母 (Kim’s Wife)
  • Criminal Team: 犯人陈 (Prisoner Chang Koehan), 犯人蔡 (Prisoner Choi Bounge), 新人囚犯 (Newcomer Prisoner)
  • Women Fighters Team: 不知火舞 (Mai Shiranui), King, Alice
  • Ikari Team: Ralf Jones, Clark Still, Leona Heidern
  • Psycho Soldier Team: Athena Asamiya, 椎拳崇 (Sie Kensou), 摸元斋 (Chin Gentsai)
  • Yagami Team: 八神庵 (Iori Yagami), Mature, Vice
  • Mexico Team: Ramon, Angel, Tizoc
  • Palace Wan Team: 脸谱女 (Acting Mask Girl), 电属性少女歌手 (Teenage Girl Singer with Electric Element), 神秘兜帽男 (Mysterious Hooded Man)
  • South Town Team: Geese Howard, Billy Kane, 营家新人 (?)
  • South America Team: 巴西忍者 (Brazilian Ninja), 残障拳击手 (Handicap Boxer), 拉丁美女 (Pretty Latin Girl)
  • Alternate World Team: 娜可露露 (Nakoruru), Love Heart, 龙娘 (Mui Mui)
  • Mid-boss: 俄罗斯富豪 (Russian Billionaire)
  • Final Boss: 人形态非人类物种 (Non-Human Species)

This kof looks much better when played. The character models are still fugly, but at least it moves ok.

They got rid of the HD mode, I cannot be happier. The max mode system looks ok, similar to 2002UM

There is a just defend system, but we don't know (?) what it does yet

8 hours ago, Vulcan422 said:

Is it just me or did they replace Kyo's voice?

It seems like it, he sounds a bit older than he is based on what I've heard in the PlayStation Experience trailer.

Do they mean 50 characters at launch, or 50 characters after the final update to this release? There is NO WAY they can have 50 balanced, well-designed, full-fledged playable characters with new models ready at the game's launch. This isn't a Dragonball Z fighter with miniscule movesets and oodles of clones. Maximum Impact 2 really stretched its roster with all sorts of random clones, but this isn't meant to be that style of game...right?

1 hour ago, TAI-X said:

There is NO WAY they can have 50 balanced, well-designed, full-fledged playable characters with new models ready at the game's launch.

Depends on how long it's been in development.  If it's been going on for a while then who knows how many are actually finished right now.

13 hours ago, TAI-X said:

Do they mean 50 characters at launch, or 50 characters after the final update to this release? There is NO WAY they can have 50 balanced, well-designed, full-fledged playable characters with new models ready at the game's launch. This isn't a Dragonball Z fighter with miniscule movesets and oodles of clones. Maximum Impact 2 really stretched its roster with all sorts of random clones, but this isn't meant to be that style of game...right?

Both 98UM and 02UM have like 60 character rosters and they're balanced as fuck. And sure they weren't new games that launched with a roster that size, but that doesn't really matter. No game is ever going to be balanced out the gate, the size of the roster doesn't mean all that much in that regard. Getting that many characters in at the start is huge because you can fix problems later.

They say the game is 70% finished so I think it's been in development for a while.  If that roster leak turns out to be true I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the characters are all finished or close to finished, but that's definitely not the same thing as the game being done.

2 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

They say the game is 70% finished so I think it's been in development for a while.  If that roster leak turns out to be true I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the characters are all finished or close to finished, but that's definitely not the same thing as the game being done.

Also, this roster leak happened like in Jan-Feb. So, that means they likely had a while. Plus, I remember reading something at one point about how they started on XIV in 2012, though I can't seem to find that article right now.