Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan422

King of Fighters XIV (PS4)

God, the new MAX mode sounds so simple but oh so elegant!! Same with wall splat andi really hope they don't steer away from their current direction with Just Defend.

Must resist urge to explode in hype, expectations, and wises >.<

Be like me.

Have no expectations.

Nothing to be crushed, nothing to be excited about until the game is done. :v:

Well, only thing I think about this game... despite the improvements, it still looks like ass.

On 12/7/2015, 6:22:35, JohnGrimm said:

Both 98UM and 02UM have like 60 character rosters and they're balanced as fuck. And sure they weren't new games that launched with a roster that size, but that doesn't really matter. No game is ever going to be balanced out the gate, the size of the roster doesn't mean all that much in that regard. Getting that many characters in at the start is huge because you can fix problems later.

I am unconvinced by this. 2002UM was the culmination of about thirteen years of refinement and experimentation building on top of the playstyle and sprites that were introduced in '96. XIV represents another clean break with the previous generation of the series with none of the same code or assets, and aside from what's been spat out by the hype machine, so far there's little reason to assume that it won't turn out almost as broken and insubstantial as XII did.

And I'm not even that concerned with "balance" in the usual sense, more about whether it feels like it all holds together and flows in a satisfying manner with a high degree of control, regardless of which character is picked. MvC2 is a game with a severe power imbalance in its roster that I would still say has excellent "balance" and flow all around. A poor example of this is 2001, which felt like it was completely falling apart at all times, with a weak sense of consistency in mechanics and graphics.

Remember that XII's reveal wowed a lot of people, including myself, and early impressions were fairly glowing. Then we actually got our hands on it. There's even fewer veteran staff left at SNKP, now. And if Street Fighter V can't even launch with 20 characters, how can KOF be expected to handle FIFTY right out of the gate? They aren't cheap and fast to make like little Neo-Geo sprites, either.

7 hours ago, TAI-X said:

I am unconvinced by this. 2002UM was the culmination of about thirteen years of refinement and experimentation building on top of the playstyle and sprites that were introduced in '96. XIV represents another clean break with the previous generation of the series with none of the same code or assets, and aside from what's been spat out by the hype machine, so far there's little reason to assume that it won't turn out almost as broken and insubstantial as XII did.

And I'm not even that concerned with "balance" in the usual sense, more about whether it feels like it all holds together and flows in a satisfying manner with a high degree of control, regardless of which character is picked. MvC2 is a game with a severe power imbalance in its roster that I would still say has excellent "balance" and flow all around. A poor example of this is 2001, which felt like it was completely falling apart at all times, with a weak sense of consistency in mechanics and graphics.

Remember that XII's reveal wowed a lot of people, including myself, and early impressions were fairly glowing. Then we actually got our hands on it. There's even fewer veteran staff left at SNKP, now. And if Street Fighter V can't even launch with 20 characters, how can KOF be expected to handle FIFTY right out of the gate? They aren't cheap and fast to make like little Neo-Geo sprites, either.

Well in SFV's case it seems to be quality over quantity, because every SF game launches with a very small amount of characters.  16 is a reasonable number given how unique and well-designed they all are, and the fact that we've had opportunities to play the game for ourselves and give feedback to Capcom has also been a tremendous help.  For someone like me who disliked XIII's nerfing of midrange normals to encourage rushdown gameplay, I'm at least happy that XIV has undone that.  That doesn't mean it's instantly 10/10 hype but it does show me that they seem to be interested in making things make more sense.  I do agree that a 50 character roster seems like too much because I"m again a quality over quantity person.

9 hours ago, TAI-X said:

Here's the difference, people have put hands on XIV and say the game is good, despite the visuals. XII got a lot of oohs and ahs because it was so pretty, but the core game itself was heavily flawed and barebones. Also, those Neo Geo sprites were only cheap because, as you said, they kept reusing them. It's really easy to make tons of games when you have to make next to no new assets. Making a game like that today from scratch would be a chore to say the least. And even though XIV is a new game, it's clearly using the old games as blueprints on how to design this one. As Laban as said in his breakdown over at SRK, the game is taking the best elements from the entire series and putting them together, and it's doing a good job of it right now. Not to say the game is or will be perfect, but by all accounts of people who have played the game so far, they're doing a good job.

As for how the game can have the size of roster it does, clearly the game has been in development for a lot longer than anyone knew about. That of course brings up the question "if it's been in development for so long, why does it look so bad?" Part of that is that the trailers we are seeing are, to be expected, very outdated. We know of 9 characters at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if there are about 20 or more characters in the current dev build. Additionally, SNK was never known for their 3D graphics. In fact, they're notorious for having terrible 3D graphics. And as much as people like to joke, XIV is actually turning out to be one of their better if not their best looking 3D title. People will argue that Maximum Impact looks better, but I would argue that Maximum Impact really just has a more appealing general art style and better skin textures. As far as the texturework in other areas and general modelling is concerned, XIV looks WAY better. For instance, the ice effects on Kula's attacks and in particular her supers actually look fantastic, the stages all look very nice as well, and clothes have some very nice detailed textures. What's making XIV look so bad right now is the skin textures, the hair, and the lighting, which still looks unfinished as of the most recent trailer and screenshots.

Basically, after people have played the game and given their thoughts on it, I really don't have any doubts in my mind that they can pull it off. I think as far as the gameplay is concerned there's nothing to be worried about. Maybe the graphics will still be bad by the time the game wraps up, and maybe that's a deal breaker for a lot of people, but if they deliver on the mechanics like they so far have, it's a slam dunk in my book.

Here's the 1st translated version on the Famitsu interveiw.
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s561/sh/c629cfb8-baa5-4bce-93a9-7b87588cb7f2/89816b2d826be219

KOFXIV 2nd Famitsu interview translation by Professor from MMCafe:
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13571.shtml#72069

They are aware of it!

N%20Kuroki_zpsqxhb69fk.png
N. Kuroki. (One of the staff members came to SNK with Oda.)

The KOF XIV producer Yasuyuki Oda liked this fan post asking him to put teams on the background. We'll really have it?
Screenshot_2_zpshzmfb7lk.png

A game with 50 characters and more than one tierlist based on if the character is in max mode or not / team position ( access to EX specials / longer max mode timer ) ?

THE POSSIBILITIES !

17 hours ago, Grim-reaper said:

A game with 50 characters and more than one tierlist based on if the character is in max mode or not / team position ( access to EX specials / longer max mode timer ) ?

THE POSSIBILITIES !

KoF tiers don't work that way.

Well it did work that way in kof XIII where some character's tier depended on what position you put them in ( the main examples being Vice and claw iori ).

What i meant in my message ( wich is bound to happen if they put enough thought into the EX moves ) is that even though a character could suck in a normal time he could very well skyrocket in the tierlist with optimal team positioning. Giving him access to more stocks and longer max mode timer for maximum access to EX moves that could potentially change his combos/confirms/pressure/neutral game.

It's the main new gameplay feature i'm hype for in this kof.

18 hours ago, Grim-reaper said:

Well it did work that way in kof XIII where some character's tier depended on what position you put them in ( the main examples being Vice and claw iori )

I don't know of a single XIII tier list that takes team order into account.

Another interview...

http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031749/20151216086/

Another interview...

http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031749/20151216086/

Summary done by Professor //www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13571.shtml#72174

Summary:
    - The concept for KOF14's development is "The most easy to play KOF ever"
    - They want to make the game so that it plays naturally for fans of 98, 02, and 13 which were the most popular.
    - Since Producer Oda was in the FF/AOF dev team, he wasn't really involved with the KOF series up until now. This will be the first time that he's on a KOF project from its plot stages.
    - SNKP's been away from console development for quite some time now, so this will be the beginning for them to build up their 3D knowledge and skills
    - When asked "If KOF14 succeeds, could we be seeing the comeback of other franchises such as Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, or Samurai Showdown?", Oda replied "If everyone supports us, we might be able to bring things all the way there."
    - When asked about Trailers 1 and 2, Oda said the renderings were mostly the same but they changed the lightnings amongst other various tweaks. They want to continue improving the game's quality
    - As reported earlier, all 50 characters will be playable at launch. 16 teams (3 characters each) + 2 characters.
    - The game is roughly 70% done. They'll be starting to work on game balance.
    - The game is designed to play like KOF13 just during MAX mode where you can use EX moves and 3 levels of Supers that can be canceled in their order of hierarchy. With enough studying it's possible to juggle opponents like in 13.
    - For beginners, there's the automatic and simple "Rush Combo" system
    - The devs are still tweaking the game's Just Defense system through trial and error

7 hours ago, Vulcan422 said:

Yo, we're getting NGBC Robert?

Please for the love of God let him have the Almighty Idle Stance.

I still think KOF XI Robert is my favorite Robert.

20 hours ago, Vulcan422 said:

Yo, we're getting NGBC Robert?

Please for the love of God let him have the Almighty Idle Stance.

Um, to me, that's actually his 2003 outfit, slightly modified with the colors of his outfit being a bit different (on his vest/shirt combo portion). So no, its not his XI/NGBC outfit, and I doubt he'll have that suave idle stance anyways, as he'll probably have the one he had from XIII.

Curse being at work, can't watch new trailer but I'm loving the redesigns for Terry, Maxima (.o.), and Clark (lol, went on a "diet")

Kingosaurs (as I'll refer to him) looks to be a new take on The Griffon, which is both good and bad (chances of entry shrinking D: ). I'm super interested in team composition. If there really is a "Team Mexico" with Angel (ugh) on it, it would make since for them to all be heels (Raiden for leader? .o.)

I'm impressed. It still kind of looks like a PS2 game, but it looks fun, and they improved the animation decently. Plus, i'm a big Tizoc fan, and raptor Tizoc is great.

EDIT: Actually, Raptor Tizoc wasn't mentioned in the leak. I wonder if that invalidates it, or SNK just later changed him, because he's still clearly Tizoc.

I don't like this new version of Tizoc. With this game's PS1 graphics it makes him look like a humanoid Alex from Tekken.

SNK pls give me back my Griffon Mask.

So they added jiggle physics to the all the girls before fixing everyone's plastic looking skin? Nice to see they have their priorities straight.

Is there any word on when the game will be playable again? They've said that everyone is currently in a playable state but the few times they've had a playable demo it's been the same 6 characters. I just want to see some King and Angel gameplay already man and those teaser clips in that new trailer don't help quench my thirst.

3 hours ago, Daidouji said:

Is there any word on when the game will be playable again?

PS Blog article mentions possibly it'll be played again at the C3 show in Hong Kong.

12 hours ago, SolxBaiken said:

Kingosaurs (as I'll refer to him) looks to be a new take on The Griffon, which is both good and bad (chances of entry shrinking D: ). I'm super interested in team composition. If there really is a "Team Mexico" with Angel (ugh) on it, it would make since for them to all be heels (Raiden for leader? .o.)

Leaked list mentions "Ramon" being in the lucha team with Dino-Tizoc and Angel, and since there's a Mexico stage, its less likely for Raiden to return. (Unless otherwise noted)

Also, some of you still shilling on the graphics again, c'mon, seriously guys. >.>

On 2/18/2016 at 2:40 AM, Daidouji said:

So they added jiggle physics to the all the girls before fixing everyone's plastic looking skin? Nice to see they have their priorities straight.

Speaking as a software dev, it may sound silly but it's a matter of choosing your battles. Non-plastic skin is actually surprisingly hard to do, while basic jiggling breasts pretty much are the Hello World of physics engines, to the delight of programmers everywhere.