Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vulcan422

King of Fighters XIV (PS4)

I still can't shake this sneaking suspicion that Falcoon's the one who designed a majority of the newcomers (especially when I look at Sylvie >.>).

I know he couldn't have done the returning cast redesigns because I actually like them and Falcoon isn't the best at playing with other people's toys . . .

It was said a few times on the stream, if nothing else.

11 minutes ago, Tsuki Garyuu said:

I am so motivated to wanna destroy anyone playing Sylvie. Anything to never see that face when I lose.

FT100 me, bruh! ' w'

5 hours ago, SolxBaiken said:

You can't even compare this to the likes of the Maximum Impact series or Samurai Shodown Sen (both truly ugly games) but at the end of the day, I could truly care less about the graphics, so long as the gameplay held up; and XIV looks really polished.

Man, eff off, MI and SS Sen, besides the horrid ways they are, they're still good to me in my eyes. Sorry SoxBa...>.>

Also, I read off from someone's post at G-Faqs, turns out that DLC List was fake/false/etc. I did say to take it with a grain of salt.

Don't get me wrong (despite it's faults) I love the Maximum Impact series (especially 2 and Reg A; I STILL mourn the cancellation of 3, though that did lead to XII . . .) from a gameplay perspective, but MI and Sen are legitimately ugly games visually, they were piss poor, dated, and just not well constructed (not even to a point where you could at least argue they were stylized). Worst of all, they ruined the aesthetics of their games, which is king in my eyes.

XIV is a culmination of learning from those (and their time making premium pachinko games) past mistakes. If no one can see that, they are not appreciating the devil in the details of these titles graphically and are just bitching at surface value.

The only good that came out of "Minimum Instance" is how much Alba & Soiree Meira and Luise should be far, far away from that game and be included in the 2D KOF canon. And if the DLC list really is fake, I can still hold out hope.

I actually really like a lot of Falcoon's (original) characters, but really MI was more a spiritual successor to Fatal Fury (which that canon, whoo boy!). Was the story batshit nutty? HELL YEAH! But it was an interesting experiment that felt very much like the NESTS saga (which if it weren't for aliens, would be waaay nuttier than MI).

I still pray we one day get characters like Chae Lim, Xu Lon, and Jivatama in canon ; -;7 and a Metal Slug team would be hype (Marco/Fio/Mars People).

6 hours ago, NeoStrayCat said:

Also, I read off from someone's post at G-Faqs, turns out that DLC List was fake/false/etc. I did say to take it with a grain of salt.

Welp, Eiji being on Iori's team did seem rather suspect...

B-but mah Whip?

Well who could really want to be on Iori's team?  Most people that were with him either betrayed him, got murdered, or got murdered super hard and still hangs around like ghosts.

Anyone looking for some more XIV actions, KVO 2016 is holding an exhibition tournament with the same 24 character build as the recent unveiling event.

EDIT: link replaced with stream archive.

Gonna use this post to jot down random thoughts.

- Man K's redesign is super simple but super sleek~<3

- Huh, there is NO invincibility of any kind on Max activation; just saw a Luong get thrown during the startup/pose (didn't play but they still activated and had some bar wasted during throw animation/recovering from knockdown D: )

- Luong's sweep reaches FAR

- Kim's EX Hangetsuzan doesn't look nearly as scary as it was in XIII lol (good D: )

- Seems you can do this sort of "dash cancel" Max activation, but it appears to drain about half of your Max gauge (like the actual stock, not the length of the bar)  hmm . . .

- The crumble/wall stick on a CD looks to last a long time (can run up and hit or throw a full screen projectile and have it connect) but the hit stun looks weird, hopefully this is just people unfamiliar with the system because they look too satisfying not to open up some juicy combo routes.

- King of Dinosaurs' full EX throw super looks so sick, especially on a Super Finish screen lol

- Oh god . . . Choi has a Child's Play color . . .

- With the way meter and Max mode work (needing to spend a bar of Super to activate Max but in return you get access to "free" EXs and 1 "free" Super; reduces meter requirement of EX and Climax Supers by a bar too) it looks like having a decent battery up front will be even more important than before. So will Special whiffing to build meter.

- Hops look like they'll be pretty strong in this game because anti-airs look super real; I've seen a lot of characters with normals that just whiff clearly whiff on crouchers and even a few that whiff on people standing(? only saw this issue with Luong, who I suspected would be more of a juggle/punish character)

- Man, even using DCM (Dash Cancel Max) you can still do A LOT of damage; this game doesn't look like it will be as combo heavy as say the '02 series or XIII, instead opting for quick, damaging combos instead, a bit more akin to '98 series. I see where people get the feeling it feels like a hybrid of the two philosophies (still waiting on an XI: UM rendition system ; w; )

- Hard to tell how bad/good Ryo's parries are at the moment.

- Wow, you can squeeze out an EX attack pretty late in Max, saw a Ryo pull out an EX fireball while the bar was visible but essentially empty (magic pixels!!)

- Huh . . . so Just Defend appears to keep whatever damage you would have lost (red life) from block chip damage on screen; it doesn't recover and [currently] haven't seen what happens to it when you block more chip moves (only saw against normal block, red life didn't vanish or move). The Guard gauge appeared to function as normal, so if I had to guess . . . potential buffer? So either A) you can't win by chip, have to make a direct hit or B) could potentially reduce the amount of life taken from chip damage. Will be looking out for this more . . . (sucks because I have to keep rewinding to check for it, since the Just guard spark is kind of subtle and the system message now longer appears).

- Don't like Vice's "aren't I cute, teehee" front victory screen pose . . . (though I do like that everyone gets 2 different poses if they're in the front or back)

- Athena's backdash > j.6B looks mad annoying, especially since she can do it close to the ground in rapid succession, though not immediately apparent how useful it is outside of potentially less risk when gaining distance.

- Yeah, raw Super cancel (especially for EX Supers) just looks like you aren't using your meter or getting damage effectively; unless you're going for a Climax cancel or you're airborne it seems best to try and center combos around Max activation > small string > Super (these sort of combos did WAY more damage and better utilized meter, so can't wait to see people get more familiar with the system)

- Raw Max seems super bad, simply because you're at a greater risk of just wasting it since you have to get in, and with how faster the gauge drains (plus how big a chunk an EX attack takes) it just seems better to Max cancel or DCM; you won't get a much meter/time but you really don't need it to do BIG DAMAGE!

- I can see raw Max benefiting characters with good "passive" EX attacks (like projectiles or special movement actions).

- Athena has like the easiest Climax to combo into lol.

- Interestingly (and personally) I feel like Mai is "big", like her overall model takes up a lot of space, which I felt the opposite about in XIII where Mai seemed oddly "small".

- Athena's EX Psycho Ball is huge o.o looks really annoying to deal with since it moves slow and just is out there forever, the player did a sneaky double teleport into a cross-up (definitely one of the better "passive" moves where a raw Max would be justified)

- Saw a nice little combo after a CD crumple where a Vice player used her rope in Special to do a little string (can't wait to see more follow ups)

For those interested in checking out arguably the best NESTS entry (excluding '02: UM) KoF 2000 is heading to PS4 as a PS2 classic this Tues. (May 3)

Sadly doesn't look like it'll include netplay, but there's always that Share Play tech.

Hmm, I'm conflicted about how to feel about Yappari Esaka (love the title by the way lol, though nothing will beat the naming convention of Esaka Continues ; -;7 ), for the most part it is a very solid song (though I heard it waaay too much during the full reveal stream) but the beginning is kind of . . . off, since the new main melody echo feels out of place as the song persists, thankfully it eventually gets toned down some and the song full embraces its new awesomeness. I really, Really, REALLY want the Arranged song to be the RoF exclusive edit of Esaka?

Daimon look good, and I love his Climax (mi gusta, MY EYES!) though it does suck that he pretty much just got an HD(ier) version of his Neomax from XIII, I've always found it odd how un-flashy Daimon has been compare to the rest of Team Japan lol.

I dunno, I've been loving the hell out the new Esaka ever since I heard it, especially with the echoing synth melodies. First time it was teased was during the supposed custom versus intro of Kyo vs. Iori (really wish that's a real thing across more characters. If GGXrd won't do it, then KOFXIV must), and the melody made me *feel* that scene happening. Of course, I've only realized now that it's a new Esaka and that's more reason to love it even more. Hell, Yappari Esaka might just top Esaka Continues just for adding the signature leitmotif of past Esaka pieces in the background.

Ok, new Stormy Sax is sex lol also Mature looks really cool; her redesign fits her better than Vice (really just take away skirt frills and I'd be fine with it) and what was shown of her Climax looks awesome. And I'll say it again: new properties of CD look really good~/video]

That Honky Tonk . . .

Really liking Departure from South Town though it runs into the issue that most Team Fatal Fury themes have . . . they really only best fit Terry lol. Joe looks fun, now let's see if he learned anything from Hwa Jai lolol

And yeah, can't wait to see footage from new 36 character build; the choices this time around are interesting (King came back lol but Mature was left out :\ though we do get to see Mui Mui and Geese's butler, so yay~)

8 minutes ago, SolxBaiken said:

Really liking Departure from South Town though it runs into the issue that most Team Fatal Fury themes have . . . they really only best fit Terry lol. 

I think what should have fixed that is if Joe and Andy themselves looked like bikers. lol But damn this song is good. Maybe I ain't heard a lot of KOF soundtracks, but it was about time we got some "biker" rock in this team.