Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zephyrion22

Sin vs Potemkin

This is the thread to discuss about the Sin vs Potemkin Match-up. A quick overview will be made available once players from both sides give sufficient info

Sin vs Potemkin

-Round start

-Neutral

Sin's efficient moves against Potemkins and Potemkin''s possible answers

What tools you shouldn't use, or use sparingly against him

Potemkin's efficient moves against Sin and Sin's possible answers

What tool you shouldn't use or use sparingly against him

-Offense/Defense

discuss what works or doesn"t work for Sin against Potemkin when  pressuring or on wake-up, and Potemkin's defensive options that are useful or not in this Match-up

discuss what works or doesn't work for Potemkin against Sin when pressuring or on wake-up, and Sin's  defensive options options that are useful or not in this Match-up

i am a potemkin player and i was struggling in this particular match up a lot, i think this is the worst potemkin match up 8-2(maybe zato is in the same category). Any advice in the specific match up?, i saw FAB beat sins players doing things like just>potemkin buster his 2k>2d , j.d his beak driver in close range, also predicting with slide head, and his DPs on wake up. but to me looks sin has no reason to go crazy, after all he can just chip potemkin and build risk meter doing beak driver in safe ranges forcing potemkin to jump and waste meter blocking with flawless defense. also he can eat if he force you to block a super (the fireball super) or with YRC (i think potemkin can only 5hs that), any advice? 

Well, this is coming from a Sin player but maybe my point of view can help

This MU is definitely in Sin's favor and his a very hard one for Potemkin, however it's not unwinnable by any means, once you understand what the MU is about

-Beak Driver is normally your main issue here : it's 2 hits, so it blows Hammer Fall : However the first hit actually has less range than the second, so at Beak's max range or so, you can actually Hammer Fall through the second hit and force the first one to whfff completely, and get an YRC mindgame from here. It's tricky to do at first, but it's very useful once you get a hang of it. You can also Slide Head on prediction sometimes, as the slamming part low profiles Beak Driver. Once the Sin player does it from close enough for the two hits to connect correctly  you can use Mega Fist or 2D on prediction to bust it. The core of the MU is actually in this point : Stay grounded and show him Beak Driver is not a move he can just liberally spam. you have much less answers when airborne so don't go there unless you need to. If you stuff all the ill-spaced Beaks correctly, the Sin player should be a bit more careful with them, so use it to your advantage

- There is no reliable answer for the super, but just think he is blowing up his meter to get food, so it's not all that bad in the end ! If he is not doing it on oki or  in a tight blockstring, you can 236P YRC and FD. He'll have to prevent you from getting closer by hitting you, and if he still makes himself a sandwich, you can punish him !

-If he actively pressures you, as you said, it's IB mindgames. Whenver he does 236K  and try to reset pressure or delay his 236H, you can IB > PB. if he doesn't let any holes, you'll auto-block. If he leaps on you, you have good enough AAs  and a decent airthrow to kill him, along with the HPB if he really gets too jumpy.  If you see him getting low on food, get ready to Hammer Fall when he is about to eat to ruin his day.

- His DP can be quite annoying for Potemkin since he relies on safe-jumps, and Sin's DP can be made safe on block with  special cancels. A good way to beat it is to OS a backdash during your safe-jump (inputs looks like this : forward jump > 4j.H> quickly press 4 before landing > press a button. On block you'll get jH followed by your next button. But if your .jH whiffs, you'll get a backdash. If you did it right, SIn's DP will whiff and you can punish it with PB. As usual, careful with Blitzshield !

Other people can give you advice on the MU, but the core of it is still to wait for the mistake and capitalize on it. You just need to be very patient. Sin is not very scary on block, as he doesn't have great oki or mixups so let him chip you as he wants, ultimately, he'll make a bad decision and you can turn the tables on that !

In my experience playing on the Sin side, the toughest Potemkin's are those who can keep constant pressure and mix up a command throw with it as well. The potemkins I have the easiest time with are those who rely way too heavily on getting that face slam hard knock full screen and then try to close the gap. Its too slow of a move and too easy for sin to close in when it whiffs. 

oh and I cosign on everything Zeph said as well, and I will emphasize his point that compared to the rest of the cast, Sin is not scary on block and he can only maintain constant pressure for so long, so if you are in the corner, best just to wait for him run low on calories or make a mistake (command jump).