Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citadel19

Ram seeking to level up!

Hey Rams!

So just another Ram player trying to level up and get better with Ram! I know a lot has happened since the patch and how we almost were neutered in a way but that isn't going to stop me from getting better with Ramlethal. So I was wondering if someone would be interested in showing me a few things or other tech. I know a few things about Ram, I've been playing her since just before the patch came out but really I just want to get better! I hope to hear from you soon and thank you for your time!

PS4 tag "IwasLeft2Die" if you want to get a hold of me there. Thanks again!

Send me the Line invite as well. There's a couple of things I need to discuss in terms of match-ups for the google doc I'm working on. My Line id is srkilley.

Checked out Line, it sounds stupid. Per user invites? Would be nice if you guys used Discord instead. Doesn't even have to register to use it.

If any euros read these forums, it seems the most active eu gg/bb community uses Discord. https://discord.gg/0TRfv0uy1A3qUbRe

I used Discord with my local FGC and it's great. I, personally, find it a lot better than Line. If people here are interested in a Discord chat we can set one up.

Why not have the discussion in the Ram forum where everyone else can see it too?

Do ram players have an active sub forum mod? Just lots of stuff not updated.

This Discord app sucks, but I'll deal with it for all this sweet Ram info.
Has anyone tried turning "mute all sounds" on and had the app bitch at you?

This Discord app sucks, but I'll deal with it for all this sweet Ram info.
Has anyone tried turning "mute all sounds" on and had the app bitch at you?

I've turned off all sound notifications and had no issues with the app after wards. I'm using both the web browser and the PC version of the app so not sure if it's different for the mobile version.

Yeah I'm having a few problems, including that with this app.
What was wrong with Line again? I use it for a couple of other character chat groups and it works great, this seems like too much hassle.

Awesome!

Well it may be good on our parts to figure out when would be best to talk strategies and the like. Just my opinion, I do better when I know that the people I'm talking to are right there with me so to speak.

Yeah I'm having a few problems, including that with this app.
What was wrong with Line again? I use it for a couple of other character chat groups and it works great, this seems like too much hassle.

The line linked in the other thread never worked and when asked about it nobody provided another invite link so other people didn't know whether it was still active or not.

Sorry if this is inappropriate, but I just thought I'd necro this thread and hijack it instead of making a new one. Given how much of a beginner I am, this seemed a more appropriate thread.

So, guys, I'm a pretty new gg player in general, and I've been trying to pick up ram. At the moment, I'm stuck on trying to learn some of her setups, particularly her fuzzy guards. For instance getting a knockdown in the corner, then doing j.6HS, YRC, j.2S, falling j.k -- this is where my stuff falls apart. I can hit the j.k part. But against anyone but like, Potemkin and Slayer, I can never successfully jump cancel the j.k into another instant j.k for the double overhead.

Could someone give me some tips? Particularly on how to do this vs. chars like Ky and Chipp. For me it just feels like they're just a bit too short, because if I hit the j.k a bit lower (where it looks like another j.k cancel would hit them), it's too low to actually jump cancel it.

Hope anyone can help and that I didn't ruin anything by asking here!

That fuzzy straight up don't work on a lot of different characters, but there's a more consistent and stronger setup than the one you're mentioning, in the corner, maybe you might have more success with it. It's the one I'm using the most at least since it's decently easy and powerful.

If you have one sword equipped you can do (if S-sword equipped, just swap with H if reversed): Wallsplat > cSfS > 6S > cS > 4H > (6S hits) > cS2D > 6H > IAD j2S / dashjump j2S > land neutraljump jK

Corner variation if both swords are deployed in corner: combo combo end combo with j8D land 2H > iad j2S / dashjump j2S.

If they block the 6H standing and trying to crouchblock (since you landed) they will get fuzzied by the rising jK, then hit by 2S for a full combo. If you think they'll read the fuzzy and continue standblocking, just do 2KP when you land. If you did dashjump j2S you also have the opportunity to do IAD jKjH before you land, or even jP before you land if you suspect they'll wake up crouching. This fuzzy works on every character except May and Faust.

Dashjump / IAD have their different strengths and weaknesses, IAD variation can be a safejump if done properly but without yrc there's no immediate overhead to fear and if they know about this they can just crouchblock on wakeup everytime they see you do it (but honestly I've NEVER met a player that does this, 95% of the time i do this variation they standblock..), and the dashjump version, if you do it so you have room for IAD jK / falling jP you will always be vulnerable to wakeup DP's.

The main strength of this fuzzy setup is how easy it is. If you did a variation where they have to block meaty 2H on wakeup, you can literally land and stand on the ground for almost a second before doing the rising jK, and this increases the chances of them crouching afterwards. Another advantage is that if they block this you don't lose pressure at all, after you've played your hand they'll still have to eat the blockstun from 2S, giving you enough time to continue corner pressure.

The appropriate thread about this would be either the OKI-thread or gameplay discussions. :P

Not on the topic of fuzzies, I saw that a lot of people are talking about the line-group and wanted to mention that the discord group is growing. Link in my signature. Discord > Line. ;)

I wasn't sure it'd fit into either of those since I'm such a beginner. Would rather not clog up actual discussion with my gief-tutorial questions.

With that said, while I am a beginner, I really struggle to see how that setup would be stronger (against the chars the one I mentioned would work against.) Like, what you're suggesting seems to more rely on people not understanding ram's setups/lack of MU knowledge rather than being a great mixup. (Please don't take this the wrong way, it was just from how you explained it and how I visualize it - clear things up for me if I'm mistaken! It's just, compared to the YRC fuzzy this seems like a ghetto fuzzy) Especially since the one I'm talking about would use the kk4k to bring them out for corner crossups, as well.

The only thing I really struggle with in terms of that setup is doing the fuzzy on small chars (which you now confirmed wouldn't work) and correctly sideswapping to hit in front after I've done the kk4k->dashjump which generally causes me to cross them up always, so it seems I have to airdash back and I assume swordplace to fall and do a falling j.k. Only issue with that part, for me, is that I waste the latter part of my YRC doing the airdash, and so I fall too much once I start doing 2S to actually land the j.k in time.

But now that I realize I can't actually fuzzy on a lot of chars like that, are there genuine fuzzies for those chars, or are all of them just essentially ghetto fuzzies where the mixup isn't really a mixup if people know the MU? If so, I'd be super interested, but if not, I'm curious as to what people would use as an alternative for these chars where I can't do the fuzzy. Just go straight for oh/low mixups?

On 1/16/2016 at 11:49 AM, angrybruiser said:

But now that I realize I can't actually fuzzy on a lot of chars like that, are there genuine fuzzies for those chars, or are all of them just essentially ghetto fuzzies where the mixup isn't really a mixup if people know the MU? If so, I'd be super interested, but if not, I'm curious as to what people would use as an alternative for these chars where I can't do the fuzzy. Just go straight for oh/low mixups?

Yes. Specifically for the KK4K setup, you can still switch sides or do a jump-in mixup on the way down. 

You're right about rising jK being a gimmick, if they know whats going on there's no reason they should get hit by it. I'm a bit confused on the setup you're trying though. After the j6HS YRC you can choose to either airdash back j2S land 5P1K or do the j2S first and then airdash back jK. If you want to fuzzy guard jK, you cant swap sides.

1 hour ago, Maadhum said:

Yes. Specifically for the KK4K setup, you can still switch sides or do a jump-in mixup on the way down. 

You're right about rising jK being a gimmick, if they know whats going on there's no reason they should get hit by it. I'm a bit confused on the setup you're trying though. After the j6HS YRC you can choose to either airdash back j2S land 5P1K or do the j2S first and then airdash back jK. If you want to fuzzy guard jK, you cant swap sides.

Hi! Thanks for the reply!

I'm talking about the 1 part of this setup video 

pretty much, not sideswapping after the second j.k. Or rather, I was hoping for something like that for chars like Ky, or similarly strong setups where your mixup options are better than 50/50. Like, in that video, it's a fuzzy into either overhead/low/sideswap. But for Ky, it only becomes a left/right mixup since you can't do the second j.k. Are there no mixups for Ky that are stronger than a regular overhead/low or left/right 50/50?