Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citadel19

Ram seeking to level up!

5 hours ago, angrybruiser said:

Are there no mixups for Ky that are stronger than a regular overhead/low or left/right 50/50?

Not that I know of. I've tried coming up with ways to add a high-low mixup in addition to the sideswap in a KK4K setup that doesn't involve a fuzzy guard but I cant get it to be very tight. It can either be jumped out of or just doesn't combo properly. 

I don't understand you're saying risking jK fuzzy is a gimmick. It's a solid setup that I learned from watching japanese players who do it all the time.

Take this setup, for instance, and test for yourself if you want how easy it is to block:

combo > wallsplat > cSfS > 6H > cS > 6S > cS > cS2D > 2H > dashjump j2S

Now you either do falling jP into land 2KP after j2S - OR you land 2KP - OR you land into rising jK for the fuzzy. Pretty easy to execute, utter hell to block. If your opponent wokeup standing in fear of the overhead he blocks the 2H standing, and you land. Now he's fucked while you can take your time and wait a bit because now you can go for unreactable 2KP/rising jK. Do you know how a fuzzy works? He's not stuck in a standing block animation, if he thinks you'll do a low he have to crouch to block it, but his hurtbox still is considered standing so if he crouches and you do rising jK he gets hit by jK and then the 2S picks him up and you get a full combo. If he thinks you'll do the rising jK he have to continue standblocking, and this is where 2KP will hit him, and then he gets picked up by 2S.

Advantage of this setup is that if he blocks correctly - which is a complete guess - you don't lose pressure at all, if you went for the low he still have to block the 2S and you can continue pressure or finish the 2KPK for a slowerhead that's plus on block / 2KP~2D (both these hits at the same frame so no switchblocking possible here), if you did rising jK - again - he blocks the 2S so you can just land and walk up continue pressure to your liking.

Honestly, the corner 4K oki, I'm not a big fan since it's IMPOSSIBLE to make it a good meaty without meter so I almost never go into it without it. Since it requires meter you won't get good damage with it anyway because of proration. However, against Ky you can do corner 4K oki into 2H > backdash YRC jK/land 2K, which is particularly good against Ky since both of those options are safejumps against him. Against every other character, only the jK option is a safejump, while 2K can get DP'd. Well not by Ky. I made a video for this setup so enjoy.

15 hours ago, Maadhum said:

Not that I know of. I've tried cg up with ways to add a high-low mixup in addition to the sideswap in a KK4K setup that doesn't involve a fuzzy guard but I cant get it to be very tight. It can either be jumped out of or just doesn't combo properly. 

I messed around in the lab yesterday and I can actually land all of the options on Ky now, even the j.k> jc> j.k that I said whiffed I can get it to work if I cross them up. Before I discovered that, I also just thought of doing air dash while falling for two quick overheadsto catch switchblocks, but that was a ghetto backup solution that's not needed since 2x j.k works.I even found a 4th choice vs Ky in this, as you can do you YRC swords, then dash over j.p, j.k and do double OH from front, as well.

I'm at work atm so cannot check your video yet. I will do it later, but I already know to thank you for your work and effort. It's even better for me since then I'll have access to a lot in the corner!

You have all been great, thanks!

Just crouch block the 6H/2H and you never have to worry about rising jK hitting you. 2D 6H 669 j2S  jP land jK probably doesn't combo on crouching, leaving you with you just the standard high/low jump in mixup. It works because nobody plays this character and knows these things. 

The value behind the KK4K YRC setup is the amount of options you have. While it does awful damage, it has a much higher chance of hitting than the typical 50/50 jump-in mixup you get from a meterless knockdown. 

Good to hear jK djK works on Ky too. I'm awful at actually doing that mixup on the shorter characters so I just settle for the sideswap mixup most of the time. 

50 minutes ago, Maadhum said:

Just crouch block the 6H/2H and you never have to worry about rising jK hitting you.

I'm Ram, I read that you're going to crouchblock to avoid the fuzzy/low. So I do falling jP and now you eat a combo into another mixup. You don't do falling jP into rising jK, why would you do that...

This mixup works because it's a good mixup, not because of lack of knowledge.

I thought the falling jP was part of the initial setup. I just tested this knockdown setup with the falling jP and you can actually block 6H crouching and stand before jP hits. She cant do another overhead after the jP so its safe to crouch afterwards. If you can avoid stand blocking 6H or 2H on wakeup, you don't have to deal with rising jK being an option, leaving her with two different options: overhead jP or 2KP. Which is just a 50/50 jump-in mixup but with bad starters. There is no third option if they know whats up. 

Hmm interresting, I tried that during testing but didn't make it work.

Though, instead of falling jP you can do airdash instead. There's a lot to be done to make this hard to block.

In any case, blitz blows up every option from this, so sometimes I go for just doing 2D > 6H ~ jumpback j2S into either airdash jK or land 3K if they have meter.