Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chaoschao222

ArcSys OST Discussion

53 minutes ago, BlazGearRegalia said:

Also

- Susano'o's theme name is "MUST DIE" [or "HAKAISHIN" one or the other is right]

- and there is an Unlimited Izanami theme called "THE WORLD END"

They are also on the internet [as well as Es theme, "conciliation"]

If there's anything else, let me know

Actually it's must die while hakashin is not his theme at least that was what I heard.

MUST DIE is fucking amazing. Reminds me a lot of TSUKI NO SHIHAI but with Japanese vocals not done by Hashimoto.

THE WORLD END also sounds great, along with HAKAISHIN and God of War.

Not really a fan of conciliation.

3 hours ago, BlazGearRegalia said:

[I'm sorry, I got to let loose, this stuff is too good]

Regardless, this is what the edit button is for. There is no reason why you should be triple-posting.

Now that all (minus Mai) character and VS themes are out, it's nice to get a full picture of the OST.  It's 99% flawless, the only stain on it being Jaeger.

MUST DIE would be so much better without vocals.  Here's hoping for an instrumental version (not that the song is bad because of the vocals)

Can't stop listening to MUST DIE. It's officially my new favorite theme introduced in CF. The song itself is godlike but the currently unknown lyrics sound so hilarious and corny that it makes the package even better.

"MEOW MEOW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY"

12 hours ago, Vulcan422 said:

Can't stop listening to MUST DIE. It's officially my new favorite theme introduced in CF. The song itself is godlike but the currently unknown lyrics sound so hilarious and corny that it makes the package even better.

"MEOW MEOW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY"

I think it fits Terumi's chaotic nature to some degree, his laughter pitches all over the place sometimes, y'know.

Anyway, the only english words I can discern from the song is "WHEN YOU DIE!" "WILL YOU DIE!?" "I CAN'T HOLD IT ANYMORE"

couple that with the fact that the singer is basically growling nonstop whenever the song doesn't shift over into the calming and soothing line every once in a while or the kind-of insane ramblings at the start, I think the song is just about what Terumi is and what situation he is in, his plans were all foiled, everyone else is buddy buddy, the master unit is still fucking there and etc, and he's pissed, in Act 3 Arcade mode he just said that he was going to kill fucking everything.

The comparisons of 'MUST DIE' with the Revelator Raven theme are inevitable... but goddamn the vocals here are really cringeworthy. This is especially so in the first half of the track, where we have the pitched 'singing' with pig squeals (used occasionally in death metal) overdubbed with it. The problem with the pitched parts is that they sound like angry, comical wailing. If comedy was what they're going for, they've aced it in the first half.

The rest of the theme is pretty good - particularly the chorus sections with added strings and the harmonised vocals (not unlike some parts of the Raven theme), and the guitar solo (though I wish they extended the solo, they were on to something good here!). I really hope there's an instrumental version too. Vocals in Daisuke Ishiwatari's tracks have generally been good ('Sword Of Doom II' and the vocal version of 'Justice Sword' being the crowning examples of this in my honest opinion). The vocals in the Raven theme are, at the very least, carried with enough conviction to sound convincing. I'm not sure what led him to think having those vocals in 'MUST DIE' was a good idea.

Edit: 'HAKAISHIN' sounds damn amazing. The sitar and the flute solos playing over the riffs is bliss. It heavily reminds me of 'Bloodline' (which is always a good thing).

22 minutes ago, Rotlung said:

...goddamn the vocals here are really cringeworthy. This is especially so in the first half of the track, where we have the pitched 'singing' with pig squeals (used occasionally in death metal) overdubbed with it. The problem with the pitched parts is that they sound like angry, comical wailing. If comedy was what they're going for, they've aced it in the first half.

Huh, and here I thought the use of what I felt sounded like old traditional Japanese singing, used throughout Japan's history both in theaters of fiction and folklore, as well as by Buddhist monks during their chants, was a pretty freakin swell idea to use in a theme depicting a character that's more than loosely based off of Japanese folklore of old Japanese gods. It's honestly one of the parts I like the most from the track, with the way it's implemented. 

30 minutes ago, Rotlung said:

Vocals in Daisuke Ishiwatari's tracks have generally been good ('Sword Of Doom II' and the vocal version of 'Justice Sword' being the crowning examples of this in my honest opinion).

Ishiwatari didn't make SoD II, though, YUHKI did. Remember how the original Sword of Doom had a more whisper-y, apocalyptic-sounding choir singing the vocals? YUHKI decided to arrange the track to have a single vocalist sing those same vocals at the top of her lungs in a pretty good decision to signify the difference between CS Mu and CP Mu.

That aside, I'm noticing how most of the new tracks in CF's console version have that traditional Japanese-esque flare to them (aside from the tracks involving Es). I like it! Also, anyone else getting Muramasa-vibes from God of War?

2 hours ago, Rotlung said:

The comparisons of 'MUST DIE' with the Revelator Raven theme are inevitable... but goddamn the vocals here are really cringeworthy. This is especially so in the first half of the track, where we have the pitched 'singing' with pig squeals (used occasionally in death metal) overdubbed with it. The problem with the pitched parts is that they sound like angry, comical wailing. If comedy was what they're going for, they've aced it in the first half.

The rest of the theme is pretty good - particularly the chorus sections with added strings and the harmonised vocals (not unlike some parts of the Raven theme), and the guitar solo (though I wish they extended the solo, they were on to something good here!). I really hope there's an instrumental version too. Vocals in Daisuke Ishiwatari's tracks have generally been good ('Sword Of Doom II' and the vocal version of 'Justice Sword' being the crowning examples of this in my honest opinion). The vocals in the Raven theme are, at the very least, carried with enough conviction to sound convincing. I'm not sure what led him to think having those vocals in 'MUST DIE' was a good idea.

Edit: 'HAKAISHIN' sounds damn amazing. The sitar and the flute solos playing over the riffs is bliss. It heavily reminds me of 'Bloodline' (which is always a good thing).

1 hour ago, GVGguy said:

Huh, and here I thought the use of what I felt sounded like old traditional Japanese singing, used throughout Japan's history both in theaters of fiction and folklore, as well as by Buddhist monks during their chants, was a pretty freakin swell idea to use in a theme depicting a character that's more than loosely based off of Japanese folklore of old Japanese gods. It's honestly one of the parts I like the most from the track, with the way it's implemented. 

Adding to what GVG said, we're talking about TERUMI here. You know, the sadist that went insane and plans to cause all sorts of hell while getting amusement from seeing everyone suffer. That, and he is ruthless and will use any tactic, no matter how underminded it is, to achieve his goal. Add that and his new aqired power, and uh, you got yourself an all powerful god of insanity... And what kind of theme do you give an all powerful god that's insane? Something that'll fit both how terrifying and how nuts he is. Wait a second, this ought to explain the point better:

14 hours ago, Mirage of Void said:

I think the song is just about what Terumi is and what situation he is in, his plans were all foiled, everyone else is buddy buddy, the master unit is still fucking there and etc, and he's pissed, in Act 3 Arcade mode he just said that he was going to kill fucking everything.

That ought to do it...

On a note, while everyone's comparing MUST DIE with TSUKI NO SHIHAI, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say MUST DIE sounds like the result of slapping together SUSANOOH, Black Onslaught, and Silent Scream in one song.

1 minute ago, BlazGearRegalia said:

On a note, while everyone's comparing MUST DIE with TSUKI NO SHIHAI, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say MUST DIE sounds like the result of slapping together SUSANOOH, Black Onslaught, and Silent Scream in one song.

That is a brilliant way of putting it. 100% agreed.

Out of curiosity, does Central Fiction allow you to toggle the original themes back on for the older characters? It would unify the soundtrack style across the board, I would think.

Spoiler

That and some of the YUHKI remixes continue to be ass. lol

I would want it like 3SOE, though. Where you could "set" the song to just be in use automatically whenever it's needed. Or at least like an "original" or "arranged" setting in the sound options like they do for the Astral Heat music. Ah, well...

13 hours ago, GVGguy said:

Ishiwatari didn't make SoD II, though, YUHKI did. Remember how the original Sword of Doom had a more whisper-y, apocalyptic-sounding choir singing the vocals? YUHKI decided to arrange the track to have a single vocalist sing those same vocals at the top of her lungs in a pretty good decision to signify the difference between CS Mu and CP Mu.

That aside, I'm noticing how most of the new tracks in CF's console version have that traditional Japanese-esque flare to them (aside from the tracks involving Es). I like it! Also, anyone else getting Muramasa-vibes from God of War?

I didn't know about the relation to old traditional Japanese singing, but point taken. However, its rap-like nature, and it being combined with such a downtuned riffs (I'm guessing drop C?) brings nu-metal to mind, sorry.

I stand corrected regarding 'Sword Of Doom II', since I just remember the composer's name when it comes to soundtracks. Actually I only recently found out that the vocalist who sang on 'Sword Of Doom II' is also the vocalist from Light Bringer which I remembered as a Japanese power metal band with very good, soaring vocals.

And yes I do get that the track is ultimately about Terumi who is basically unhinged or something (I try not to read too much on Central Fiction for now to avoid spoilers), so thematically that might fit with the crazy (but still cringeworthy) vocals.

MUST DIE is basically Terumi re-embracing his nature as a God of Destruction while in the Susanoo unit now that he's back at full strength.

The first bit of MUST DIE's vocals are undeniably a little comical on the first few listens for sure, but I can't think of anything that's grown on me faster or more effectively. While I dig the comparisons and assessments of what it's a sort of blend of, I also think of it (particularly the latter half) as kind of less strictly Susanoo's theme, and more the culmination of BB's story theme. I really only think so because it stands out and resonates with me much, much more than any of the new tracks added by the story. 

I get the reason for the couple of tracks that start out orchestral and melodic, but the fights they were selected for were over too quickly for their purpose to really sink in. I think the story this time around would've benefited from some dynamic music changes, unlimited form activations, difficulty spikes, and more rounds in the last few fights. Maybe it's just because I main Ragna, but I thought it the fights themselves came and went without the impact I wanted the music to give them. My remembrance of fighting Unlimited Hazama in Continuum Shift while Ao-Iconoclast set the tone kind of wins out here.

Why is HAKAISHIN such an amazing theme. Its the embodiment of a "FINAL BOSS" and its between the two most-hate fueled characters in the series. It doesn't even feel like it overstays its welcome despite being seven minutes long.

There are people who seriously dislike MUST DIE (or its vocals)? Wow. Talk about lack of taste... nah, I kid.

Still, it's probably my favorite new theme now. The Kabuki Theatre like singing mixed with rough distorted vocals, is just gold.

On 10/10/2016 at 3:21 AM, Oniros said:

I'm not digging the songs from the console release at all. The only exception are the Es themes and those come from the Xblaze games.

I'm not crazy about them either, not the main themes anyway, not even MUST DIE, the music in the story mode menu is great though. But sometimes some songs don't click with me right away but I end up loving them.