Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheRealDMac

Mitsuru vs. Teddie

Please use this thread to talk about the matchup!

I'm currently filling in the gaps for Mitsuru, and may contribute notes to the thread myself once I'm finished doing my personal matchup grind.

I suppose I will give a somewhat thorough analysis of this match up. My gameplay is specific to netplay only, so if you're an offline player your experiences will vary. Also, I am at best an intermediate player, so take my info how you will.

Teddie is a difficult match-up to assess. Most of the match-up revolves around understand how good the Teddie player is. Once you do that, then you'll be able to handle all of his shenanigans to a reasonable degree. The key to dealing with Teddie is expect use of your own 5D. Mitsuru's 5D will break Teddie's persona. Go for this as much as you can because a broken Persona means Teddie's offense diminishes greatly. Like most characters in the game, you can space Teddie effectively with your 5A. Teddie does have options, such as his 5B, however its too slow and risky. By risky I mean that Mitusru can sweep under it if she decides to delay her pressure a bit.

The key items to look out for are the buckets, Oil Drum, and the bike. If he does the buckets, you can time a super jump to avoid it entirely. Do your best to not press buttons as the Teddie player will do his best to anti-air you. If you're grounded then practice switch-blocking. It's pretty important in the Teddie match. He will either cross you up, AoA, cross up and AoA, or double cross up. The bike and Oil drum are also similar in options for the Teddie player, except the Oil drum gives him more mix-up options and the bike is a bit delay. If you run into the car keys or Teddie happens to get one of these options out, be sure to end any combo with 2B so you can jump cancel and block afterwards.

A common set-up that Teddie will do involves block string > jump cancel Air turn > j.A. It's pretty tricky to pull off so you probably won't see this at lower levels play. It's mostly an intermediate and up skill. Higher level players will mix it up even more by feinting the cross up, which can screw up your blocks.

Some tips to dealing with Teddie. Watch out for the rage potion because afterwards in the item cycle is Pinwheel, which leads an unblockable. Because of Teddie's floatiness timing a 2B versus him can be tricky, however some Teddie players telegraph their options so you can get away with a 2B. This is mostly a lower level play though. 2D is useful in this match up since Teddie will sometimes summon items in the air and he can't block during it. Also another lower level play. 5D or 2D is safer for him because Mitsuru's 5D doesn't tag him during it. If Teddie does the bear circus do Super Jump, Air dash, Bufudyne to punish it. Most Teddies don't use it because of that, but it's always nice to have the option.

Overall I will say this match up is 55/45. Mitsuru's favor.

A couple quick things to note:

-Good Teddies will also incorporate throws into their item mix-ups. Keep an eye out and be ready to tech if necessary.

-DP is very risky against Teddie since if it's blocked, he can 2C FC for a 4k+ combo. Even if you have meter, he can 2B CH instead before you recover in time to super cancel. At the same time, it's also a really good option against him since it screws up a lot of his cross-up attempts. Do watch out for air backdash > j.C instead, since it'll catch Mitsuru due to her moving forward during the DP.

-Teddie's sweep has considerable range and goes under both 5A and Coup. However, it loses to 5B and can't really be converted into anything significant without meter or OMB. The same goes for 2D Teddie, but it's pretty rarely seen, although it has the benefit of ducking under throws (but is completely vulnerable to lows).

-5C > backdash > 5C isn't always safe due to Teddie's access to farther reaching and decently fast tools, like 5B and 236A.