Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheRealDMac

Mitsuru vs. Yosuke

Please use this thread to talk about the matchup!

I'm currently filling in the gaps for Mitsuru, and may contribute notes to the thread myself once I'm finished doing my personal matchup grind.

Already well-known, but I'll put it here anyway. When Mitsuru does her auto combo, or any combo that ends with a grounded droit A, Yosuke can mash 5A to beat Mitsuru doing 5A. Your best answer after doing that combo is to either back dash or block.

I suppose I will give a somewhat thorough analysis of this match up. My gameplay is specific to netplay only, so if you're an offline player your experiences will vary. Also, I am at best an intermediate player, so take my info how you will.

Gonna elaborate on this match-up more because I have a lot more experience with it these days. The unfortunate thing is that my experience still isn't sufficient since there aren't many Yosuke players on netplay that are highly skilled. At any rate, lets get this on with.

Yosuke is a tricky guy. He flings all over the screen making it really difficult to pin him down. Because of this, his air glade will destroy many a Mitsuru player. The key to dealing with him is spacing. His neutral game is superior to Mitsuru's however your j.A has its uses. A good normal to use versus him is 2D because they like to approach from the air (but don't spam it because you're open from a ground approach). The best way to learn this match-up is probably to experience it and memorize the many shenanigans he has. After a knockdown he will switch sides to go for an overhead cross up. Like Aigis, a good Yosuke player will be wary of this because Mitsuru's DP can hit behind her. Thus he will often feint cross ups versus Mitsuru because he can bait the DP and punish for serious damage.

Some advantages Mitsuru has that makes the match-up trouble for Yosuke is her superior range. She can pressure him sufficiently in the corner. However he has the best DP in the game. It's very difficult to punish. A method you could do, if you're expecting his DP, is to do a delay 5B (full charge 5B. The interface is kinda wonky with notations). It's a strong punish against DP happy Yosuke. A safer option is to stagger from time to time until you see the DP and punish with Droit A or CH 5A > sweep > etc if you're close to the corner. Overall, Droit B works really well in the match up because you can reach him as he lands. That's why you'll rarely see a Yosuke player shoot out those kunai knives in the air because the recovery is super bad.

Some tips and tricks. Yosuke's most dangerous move versus Mitsuru is his sweep. Unlike most sweeps, Yosuke moves pretty far when he does it, plus he gets a knockdown so he can perform his shenanigans. If Yosuke is reckless with his persona never pass up on a chance to break it since doing so ruins some of his options plus he can't burst if it's broken. Be wary of his Mirage Slash, the teleport low he does, because it goes under 5A and fatal counters. It's used sparingly versus Mitsuru because if you block it, he's essentially screwed. Also, unlike most characters, Yosuke has a good 2B anti-air. So don't telegraph your jump-ins. Be incredibly wary of Sukukaja. I haven't found an adequate way to deal with it aside from blocking. Which means he'll attempt throws at some point. Though if he does it fullscreen, I suppose doing bufula D could be useful. Yosuke also has a good 5A, so if you auto-combo, blocking or back dashing afterwards is your best bet.

Overall I would say the match-up is 45/55 Yosuke's favor. It's probably something like 40/60 in competitve play but I haven't faced one that made me think "Yosuke is incredibly good vs Mitsuru" yet.