Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrBearMaul

Axl MU List Discussion

I know we have matchup threads, but I wanted to spark some discussion maybe on how other Axl's felt his MUs as a whole are? I've never really seen any real discussion about how Axl really fares outside of my own judgments/watching/playing stuff so maybe we could work on a defined tier list of sorts? Come to some sort of agreement and talk about it.  

IMO, he's got 3 really good matchups and 3 really terrible matchups. Axl tends to smack around Slayer, Potemkin, and I-No as they have trouble getting in his blind pots and their offensive maneuverability can be seriously limited by his 5P, 6K, and Rensen. His two absolutely godawful matchups are Chipp and Millia because they give zero shits about your chains and are able to ignore much of your defense. I'd also say that Elphelt is a really bad matchup as you have to smack the grenade out of the air or she's in for pretty much free.

Everyone else is kind of in the middle. There are some matchups which lean a bit against Axl like Ky where Stun Edge YRC beats any non-Rensen poke into a full combo, and others which lean a bit towards Axl like Leo where you can keep him out reasonably well so long as you make sure he never gets out a H Boom YRC or knocks you down.

Honestly Axl has a ton of good matchups and a few bad ones in Xrd 1.1.

I'd list I-No, Pot, Leo, Bedman, Sol, Ram, Faust, Slayer, and Zato as all having significant trouble with Axl to varying degrees (In roughly that order by how bad it is, I-No being the worst), either because they can't zone him out (Ram, Bedman, Faust, Pot, Zato), or because they simply can't approach him in a safe manner (Zato, I-No, Sol, Slayer, Pot, Leo).

Slayer actually has a decent way of getting in with dash YRC and a decent way of getting out with BDC bite or BDC jump, but he still gets bullied. I say Zato struggles because it's true, but obviously if you give Zato an inch he'll take a mile so I'm not willing to say it's better than even for sure.

Axl still really struggles against Venom, Chipp, and Millia mostly because they can keep him locked out of most of the guesses he's usually trying to make (Millia because roll and pin and multiple airdashes, Chipp because teleports and the 3F jab doesn't hurt, and Venom because a lot of your normals get tagged by balls, obviously). 

Elphelt I think would actually be in his favor if not for one fairly big issue: Shotgun in the corner. Axl's lack of a 5F normal means that he's especially vulnerable to tick throws, and Elph has an unthrowable command grab and options to cover you trying to jump out, which means that you're either going to guess right with a DP or a jump, or take one million damage for trying. Still, it's way more doable than his other bad matchups because at least you win the neutral pretty convincingly if you know what you're doing (Grenades are really easy to deal with if they're not already on top of you. Her best bet is to use them to cover the space she wants to be in, and even then you can just straight up neutralize it with rensengeki once it's on the ground). I think this matchup falls around 5.5-4.5 in Elph's favor. Very manageable

I'd call everything I haven't mentioned even or as near as makes no difference. Ky v Axl is among the more turtley matchups in this game on both sides, Sin beats you on damage but loses on momentum, and May is just a callout game.

Axl's really strong this game.

As this is MU discussion ^ all makes some sense. I think on paper Axl is better than he is. As a no-name, non-ranked, -non-respected player I feel that he immediately becomes super low teir when put in a corner. Block right or guess right are your only options in most cases, IMO.

My general issue with Elphelt is that she can do a high grenade toss and see how you react; it's going to lock you down if you don't either hit it or take evasive actions, which gives her room to get in. You can stop her from doing this by keeping the pressure on, but if you lose momentum at all it's shotgun loops for days.

Yeah, Ram is a lot easier after they broke her knees; she did quite well back in 1.0 against Axl.

As for Zato, he can kind of skip past pokes with Break the Law YRC and bring Eddie with him, so I have a lot of trouble there.

Venom is definitely a bad matchup for sure; I'd actually put May as a reasonably good matchup. The only thing you really have to look out for is 6H going over here when used too close as a surprise overhead, but resen is pretty oppressive in that matchup. You don't want her to get setup with Seaworld of course, but that's pretty similar to not letting Ram setup either.

Leo's a good matchup, but it's a bit too swingy for me to think it's great. All Leo has to do is tag or trade with one far ranged normal and H Boom YRC to start putting pressure on you and he'll destroy Axl up close.

I swear, people are so unwilling to just block for a second. I don't buy all these matchup descriptions where "If they get close you get destroyed." Very true of some characters, like Millia or Elph, but sometimes it's okay to have to block. Most characters have to block sometimes, and you can utilize IB, FD, and throw to get out of many characters' pressure, not to mention that having a DP, a fast low-profile normal, and a 4F counter are all pretty nice. Axl mainly suffers when tick throws come out, but even that's pretty manageable in most matchups.

I swear, people are so unwilling to just block for a second. I don't buy all these matchup descriptions where "If they get close you get destroyed." Very true of some characters, like Millia or Elph, but sometimes it's okay to have to block. Most characters have to block sometimes, and you can utilize IB, FD, and throw to get out of many characters' pressure, not to mention that having a DP, a fast low-profile normal, and a 4F counter are all pretty nice. Axl mainly suffers when tick throws come out, but even that's pretty manageable in most matchups.

I find that it isn't so much that you can't just block for a while but that Axl has terrible defensive mobility. You block for a while but still need to make a hard read to get out of many situations thanks to crappy air movement and no jab. I actually find dealing with Slayer pressure easier than most other characters because his style of "give them enough rope to hang themselves" is already in line with what you already do on the defense, so you've just got more options (that get horribly punished if you screw up) to choose from. It's why I find the Leo matchup to be pretty scary even if in Axl's favor; he can do reasonably safe pressure with gatlings into 6K for a while then start doing tick throws and stance mixups