Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amadeous

Jam Kuradoberi Parry Guide and Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to explain and find new information regarding Jam's parry in Xrd. It's very different from the older games, being a true special move and having a followup, along with quite a few other notable mechanics that are very important to her gameplay, but are not inherently obvious. As Xrd Revelator is still in Japan only, this information is untested and relies on information from players in Japan. Please post any new information regarding Jam's parry that is found here.

PARRYING

Parrying is done by a 46 input. However, players have found that holding 4 and pressing 6 during blockstrings does not give her a parry. In which case, they have said it's better to think of it as a 546 input. So it should feel similar to AC/ACR parry. Because it is not a 546 input however, it does lead to Parries coming out even when doing dash brake, if you don't dash brake with [1] rather than [4], along with other small maneuvers. So that's something to keep in mind.

FOLLOW-UP

After inputting 46, Jam can press the P button to unleash a 4-Frame punch that leads to a lot of hitstun on counter hit. She can do this regardless if the parry catches an attack or not; it is also the only attack she can directly do out of a parry. Afterwards, she can either press the P or K button for different attacks. 46PP is similar to her AC 6HH, without wallstick, but giving her hard knockdown in most situations. It also will work regardless if 46P counter hits or not. 46PK is a slow upwards axe kick that launches the opponent straight upwards for combos. However, 46PK will ONLY combo if 46P was a counterhit.

It's also important to note that 46P does NOT autocorrect if you parry a move that crosses up; Jam will attack the wrong way as the opponent lands behind her. In addition, 46P is heavily unsafe on block, being very easy to punish. To make up for this, she can still do 46PP or 46PK even on block, with 46PK being only -4, but the startup on the K followup is so great that she can be hit out of it between the blocked 46P and the K followup. Jam can fish for a CH with 46PP or try to be safe with 46PK, but it's rather obvious that you'd not want to be in this situation to start.

THE ANIMATION

After inputting 46, Jam will catch all mid and high attacks for 8 frames. During this time, she cannot tech throws and cannot block low at all. On frame 9, she is able to cancel into the P followup, but if the player chooses to not press the P button afterwards, she is in the animation for another 24 frames.

TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS

This is where Jam's parry gets a bit confusing. Because she can attack with the followup even when Parry does not catch anything, and she can special cancel into it, she actually has two different versions of the 46 Parry. The cases are:

-46 from neutral

-46 as a special cancel from an attack

The latter case is easier to understand: After pressing 46, Jam will catch mids and highs for frames 1-8, and on frame 9-24 she can follow-up into the P attack. Jam has no other options in this scenario.

When parrying from neutral, such as IBing an attack and parrying their next strike, gets a bit more interesting. Again, Jam will catch mids and highs for frames 1-8, but she has several options on frame 9:

-P followup

-Move right/left

-Crouch

-FD

It is important to note however, that while she can FD on frame 9, simply doing 46 FD P will still result in a P followup from the parry. However, this means that while parrying may seem to have a large whiff animation, it is only during the frames where she can catch an attack that she is truly defenseless to lows and throws. On frame 9 she becomes able to move, jump, or block low if needed.

IN SUMMARY

-Parry is done as a 46 input, but you can't hold 4 and press 6 out of a blockstring.

-After inputting 46, Jam catches mids and highs for the next 8 frames. On frame 9, she can followup.

-The only attack she can do out of it is a special move, that she can then cancel into one of two other special moves. She can do this regardless if she catches an attack or not.

-46PP is hard knockdown, 46PK sets up combos. 46PK ONLY works on Counter Hit or Air Hit

-46P is unsafe against crossups and safejumps. 46PK is safer on block, but can be hit in between the attacks.

-If she special cancels into a Parry, she can ONLY do 46P.

-If she does Parry in any other situation, she is able to move, crouch, jump, FD, or go into 46P starting on frame 9.

More information is being dug up on this move and I'll add to this post as it is found. Please use this thread for any official news of parry uses, or situations in which it is useful. It's very different from the GGXX series, so please assume nothing will work in a similar way.

I was going to do a detailed writeup on the properties of parry, but this post seems to cover most of the general mechanics behind it. There are a few more things though:

On successful parry, Jam can act on frame 7 and the opponent can act on frame 9, meaning she is +2.

Jam's only followups to successful parry are 46P, 236S, 236236H, dash, backdash, YRC, or another parry. While she can technically cancel into successful parry into block, she'll still be in the parry animation until frame 24 and will stay in the parry animation up until the blocked hit connects. If you do nothing for 24 frames she'll recover back into neutral stance where she can do most actions, meaning she can act again on the 25th frame (except I think that there's one more recovery frame where you can't jump). I think it's valuable to highlight here that jumping, crouching, or moving left/right will not cancel the parry animation.

The parry input itself has 11 frames of leniency, meaning if we count the initial 4 input as frame 1, you have until frame 12 to input 6 to get parry to come out. During this time, you're free to input 4/5 and not interrupt the input window.

EDIT: You can input 7/8/9 during this window as well but it's a bit harder because you don't want to jump

This has been said everywhere repeatedly but I guess it's worth mentioning here as well. To get 46PK to work in a combo, the 46P can't hit on the first active frame, except on 46P CH. This means that the opponent has to fall into the 46P and land on it on active frames 2-6. Additionally, the preceding combo can't be too long or there won't be enough untech time for 46PK to ever combo.

More Advanced Things:

Parry FD OS:

4 > 6 > 4/1 + P + K/S/H
On successful parry, if Jam FDs with P + another button, she'll get 46P. If the parry is unsuccessful, she will just get FD instead.

Parry YRC OS:

4 > 6 > 4/1 + PK~S
Similar to the FD OS, this one will YRC on successful parry and FD otherwise. Input is slightly less lenient on this one, as the YRC must be kinda plinked from the FD input to ensure YRC doesn't come out on unsuccessful parry.
Using P as one of the FD buttons allows you to OS the OS by getting 46P if you mess up or don't have meter for YRC

You might be able to do a similar OS with the other followups (i.e. 46236236H~4P/K/S for Bao OS) but the inputs are harder are less rewarding. I've never been able to pull this off successfully, however.

Parry Fast Cancel:

For some reason, inputting any non-4/5/6 input (i.e. 1/2/3/7/8/9) within 3 frames of inputting a parry will allow you to cancel the parry stance on the 3rd frame, likely to help against accidental parry inputs. While this limits the parry catch window to 2f instead of 8f, it has the amazing property of not leaving Jam in parry stance on successful parry, allowing Jam to be +2 and able to do any action

The input here is 46 (catch) 36H to grab, although you could really do any move you wanted. Again, this only works if you cancel parry on the 3rd frame or earlier: any later and the parry will behave normally.

EDIT: Did some minor testing. It doesn't seem like this is available on wakeup because idk it'd actually be pretty good

Something something trip guard proximity os something something etc.

I'm still not 100% sure why this works, but it's essentially a proximity OS that will parry if the opponent attacks and will throw out a normal if they don't. The normal must be input within 3 frames of landing i.e. within the first 3 frames of the parry. More importantly, I have only been able to do this after landing, either from a jump or a backdash, which prompts me to think it might be related to trip guard stuff. This is of limited practicality, but maybe someone more versed in mechanics could use this information for something useful.

EDIT: Not possible on backdash. Just reviewed the frames and as far as I can tell the backdash version is not actually the proximity OS

Super Anti-crossup advanced parry tactics

If you press 46 against a crossup one of the following will happen depending on timing:
1) You parry if they hit from the front and you block if they hit from behind.
2) You parry regardless if they hit from the front or from behind
You can combine this with other things as well, such as doing 46PK to OS 46P or FD, etc.

You can OS throw with parry by inputting 4H > 6 quickly to either throw, or cancel the 4H input into parry in its startup frames. In this case the parry will come out at least 1f later than the throw would, and it's the special cancel version of parry meaning the followups aren't great and it takes 24f to recover. Thus, it's not a particularly great option, but I suppose it could be valuable to know.

And I think that's every marginally valuable piece of information I know about parry. I might be forgetting some things because I know a lot of pretty useless information as well, so sorting out my thoughts has been slightly difficult. Useless information includes things like parry interactions when using both the D Pad and Analog Stick on a pad.

So some things.

Because you can do a silly OS along the lines of this: 

to OS DP, Backdash, and hit with a combination of Hitstop OS and Proximity OS (Input proximity OS during safejump j.H hitstop and another button afterwards. If they block the j.H, the proximity OS won't go off and you'll get a button. If they reversal or backdash, you'll land quicker and then proximity OS parry the reversal or 6K the backdash. Stylish but impractical), I decided to look into my Proximity OS thing a bit more:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15ZpikTm5MI4ERNgbSEEkGGvl7o7maRuOu-jr-aValFk/edit?usp=sharing

TL;DR: Looks like you have to input parry something like up to 1 frame before landing, input a button within 3f of the parry actually coming out, and it seems the stick can't return to neutral during the 46 input because i have no goddamn idea

TL;DR TL;DR: It's not worth it to add a proximity OS to this because you can generally recover from the parry and punish backdash anyway and the input is really fucking hard

As for why you'd want to parry a DP, it's because they can't RC the parry. You could also do this with Blitz if you're a not-Jam but it's a bit riskier on backdash. 

Another thing, when you dash cancel the parry, you are stuck in the dash for 6 frames, meaning you are can do any action but are -4 here.