Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Henaki

matchups

My main problems with Potemkin:

- Hammerfall. Johnny for the most part doesn't have good strings that are fast enough to deal with Hammerfall. Not that random Hammerfall owns me, but calculated Hammerfalls are a huge hassle since at most ranges, all Johnny can do is 1 hit pokes, or hit a coin after a poke if he has enough space.

It also beats Johnny's jH because he doesn't have anything fast enough to hit Potemkin out of Hammerfall before Hammerfall hits on CH, then I take stupid damage/stun.

- Anti-airs in general. Johnny doesn't have enough Hammerfall-safe strings that are good to work win on pokes alone, so you have to attack. Johnny can normally approach from the air on a lot of characters due to either jH creaming their anti-airs, or because the risk/reward ratio being in his favor. However Pot's 6P does better than most other AAs in this regard, and he gets a damaging no-Tension combo off 6P CH + knockdown and potential setups, more than Johnny gets without Tension or a coin.

Really I just have issues getting started, and that's bad because Johnny needs to hit a coin and have Tension, and that's just a pain to get when you have to rely on playing really safe against Potemkin till you get a shot.

A few advantages I've had:

- Pot is big. You can do silly mixups on him, like adS> H -> whatever and you don't even need a fuzzy guard setup for it. Also you can do hilarious combos, like the DB FRC jH > D combos even early on during combos, or silly loops like jK > S > H > D, land, rejump into combo... and funnier things like D, coin, iadH XX Ensenga (1-hit)

- Johnny's good oki can't be backdashed by Pot. Again, mostly the size issue, but Johnny can punish Pot for backdashing away from JI DB FRC oki with adS > H -> whatever.

- better pokes. Usually I can outpoke Pot except for Hammerfall issues and sometimes Slide Head... but it's usually in my favor at midrange if I keep those moves in mind.

My main problems with Potemkin:

- Hammerfall. Johnny for the most part doesn't have good strings that are fast enough to deal with Hammerfall. Not that random Hammerfall owns me, but calculated Hammerfalls are a huge hassle since at most ranges, all Johnny can do is 1 hit pokes, or hit a coin after a poke if he has enough space.

It also beats Johnny's jH because he doesn't have anything fast enough to hit Potemkin out of Hammerfall before Hammerfall hits on CH, then I take stupid damage/stun.

- Anti-airs in general. Johnny doesn't have enough Hammerfall-safe strings that are good to work win on pokes alone, so you have to attack. Johnny can normally approach from the air on a lot of characters due to either jH creaming their anti-airs, or because the risk/reward ratio being in his favor. However Pot's 6P does better than most other AAs in this regard, and he gets a damaging no-Tension combo off 6P CH + knockdown and potential setups, more than Johnny gets without Tension or a coin.

Really I just have issues getting started, and that's bad because Johnny needs to hit a coin and have Tension, and that's just a pain to get when you have to rely on playing really safe against Potemkin till you get a shot.

A few advantages I've had:

- Pot is big. You can do silly mixups on him, like adS> H -> whatever and you don't even need a fuzzy guard setup for it. Also you can do hilarious combos, like the DB FRC jH > D combos even early on during combos, or silly loops like jK > S > H > D, land, rejump into combo... and funnier things like D, coin, iadH XX Ensenga (1-hit)

- Johnny's good oki can't be backdashed by Pot. Again, mostly the size issue, but Johnny can punish Pot for backdashing away from JI DB FRC oki with adS > H -> whatever.

- better pokes. Usually I can outpoke Pot except for Hammerfall issues and sometimes Slide Head... but it's usually in my favor at midrange if I keep those moves in mind.

How fast is Mist Cancel? Because if it's fast enough you could just do something like S.f > Cancel over and over to bait out Hammerfalls. Besides, couldn't you just do that with a Lv2 ready, and then do S.f > MF if he goes for the hammerfall? Or too hard to hit confirm that?

How fast is Mist Cancel? Because if it's fast enough you could just do something like S.f > Cancel over and over to bait out Hammerfalls. Besides, couldn't you just do that with a Lv2 ready, and then do S.f > MF if he goes for the hammerfall? Or too hard to hit confirm that?

Too hard to confirm usually, Mist Cancel isn't THAT fast either. It recovers quickly but there's still recovery and it's enough that you can't consistently save yourself from Hammerfalls... maybe if you catch him from far off and at the beginning of his Hammerfall...? It doesn't work enough for me to rely on it, I usually go for coin if I don't have L2 already.

Too hard to confirm usually, Mist Cancel isn't THAT fast either. It recovers quickly but there's still recovery and it's enough that you can't consistently save yourself from Hammerfalls... maybe if you catch him from far off and at the beginning of his Hammerfall...? It doesn't work enough for me to rely on it, I usually go for coin if I don't have L2 already.

Hammerfall is a really slow move, Mist Cancel should be fast enough if you poke with S.f at max distance and cancel it immediately. I mean, Hammerfall is at fastest around 21F startup. With distance it just gets longer and longer.

Heh, I did that at the start of a round just yesterday. Anyways, though risky you can throw Pot out of hammerfall at close distances(a step closer then start distance). This of course can't be done well during strings(if at all), but I suppose if you know your opponent well enough... Not something I'd normally consider, but it's there. Usually you have to hold forward for a moment to close the gap just a little bit more.

Hammerfall is a really slow move, Mist Cancel should be fast enough if you poke with S.f at max distance and cancel it immediately. I mean, Hammerfall is at fastest around 21F startup. With distance it just gets longer and longer.

Heh, I did that at the start of a round just yesterday. Anyways, though risky you can throw Pot out of hammerfall at close distances(a step closer then start distance). This of course can't be done well during strings(if at all), but I suppose if you know your opponent well enough... Not something I'd normally consider, but it's there. Usually you have to hold forward for a moment to close the gap just a little bit more.