Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meepro

Preparing for cpe... in cse?

Hey guys,

I'm on pc so I have to wait just a little bit longer to finally get cpe. I main Litchi, but I always wanted to be able to have at least a decent Carl as my first or second sub, however the steep learning curve combined with cse being outdated discouraged me from finally picking him up so far. I could do the first 9 out of his 15 challenges until I decided it's probably not worth it to grind some more with him.

So.... simple question: Does it even make sense to get a feel for the character in cse to have an easier time learning him in cpe? Or is he too much of a different character in those 2 versions? 

Any practice is to your benefit, especially since Carl's modus operandi doesn't really change much. Carl tends to focus more on movement and positioning than he does anything else, so practicing ls going to mostly be getting into the habits that most benefit his playstyle and moving Nirvana.

The hard part of Carl is getting the sync right, after that it's converting random hits into knockdowns for his oki and mixup game. That's been his basic strategy since CS and for the most part every iteration since has just tried to enforce that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I feel like the hardest part is his movement and positioning for mixups, like Marisa said. The combos are easy enough to adjust to each version imo, as it's simply (carl) (ada) (carl) (ada) with moves inserted until knockdown. I guess I can put some things to try and work on until you have CPE:

Try to learn the unblockable setups that are pretty much the same every game. Practice allecans, and how to use them in solo combos and crossups. Practice for unexpected confirms, like an offscreen high speed volante hitting, and using vivace when the enemy slides to resandwich them. These are all things that you can learn in older versions, I believe. Good luck!

Mmh... I actually have my troubles with learning combos, since i never really played any other fighter and got cse for only 4 or 5 months. Granted Litchi's combos aren't exactly easy as well, but I'm just now at a point where i can do her combos consistently enough to think about learning another character. 

I went through the archives here and people posted some tutorial videos that sadly got taken down from youtube, so I'll try if I can do some stuff from the combo thread. I remember from the challenges that I'm having trouble figuring out the rhythm of holding/releasing D while doing stuff with Carl. Maybe I will have a better feel for it now, since I have to hold D for Litchi's staff launch in some situations, even though its not as complex as Ada.

I believe one (or more) of the challenges I did used allecan, but I didn't do it from an iad - so yeah... gonna grind that a bit as well.

Thanks for your responses so far :)

Oh, sorry, I assumed too much about your negative edging experience. Definitely just playing Carl will teach your the rhythm for doing his combos, even if they change, so you have the right idea. Get used to hold release, and also walking her during your air combos into a 8D in the corner, it'll help you a lot. I was awful at it at first, but just start simple and stay dedicated and it'll come naturally! Curious, do you play on pad or stick? I played on the Vita and got used to playing with D on my R trigger, that will help a lot if you're playing on pad with default controls.

I wanted to try a stick, but wasnt sure if it would pay off for me - So 2 months ago I bought a really cheap one for 30€ and must say that I like it. Not gonna buy a quality one until this one breaks though :)

I'll probably start my journey with Carl in a few days and see how fast I'll get stuck with something ^^