Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monarch

[CF] Nine the Phantom General Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Dark Ranger88 said:

So, if Nine has no normal overheads...then shouldn't her spell circle betray her mixup? Like if you see that a Nine has ended a combo with "rock" at the ready, what's to stop you from staring down the spell circle and reacting to that. If the rock spell disappears from the spell circle, then you know the overhead is coming the instant she uses it. Until then, block low.

I'm specifically talking about this Na guy who was bodying everyone with rock lol.

Kunzite is just MvP, very fast, multi-hit, very safe (which means you're probably dealing with pressure afterwards). Even if you're blocking the damn thing, you can't do anything about it if spaced properly. So yeah, it's a easy, universal and rewarding on short term spell, especially if you compare it to other setups which are hard to set and unreliable or escapable. JP players will mix it up in due time, but if you're putting your money in the machine, might as well do that until answers are found. I do hope there will be reliable answers to Kunzite though, otherwise Nine will be really linear^^

If nine has 3 runes stacked already when she uses her next normal or normals, does only the top rune change per normal or does it always replace the oldest rune?

Someone should make a Nine combo video with Earth, Wind & Fire's "Do You Remember" as the audio. Because srsly, ppl are definitely going to remember that character's bullshit some 4-5 years down the line...

Since there's been no consensus on what notations should be used for spells (to my knowledge) I thought I might make one last proposal.

Let's just use [XYZ] where X is water Y is Wind and Z is fire. The only time X is ever seems to be used anywhere else is in situations where a character has something like 214A 214B 214C and 214D and they're different versions of the same move and you want to abbreviate mention of all of them into one command. Not onlly does Nine not have these types of specials but [XXX] has no command next to it so it can't really be mistaken that way.

If it sweetens the deal for any fellow megaman fans, X is blue and Z is Red in this situation.

It shouldn't be that hard to memorize really.

4 hours ago, Myoro said:

Since there's been no consensus on what notations should be used for spells (to my knowledge) I thought I might make one last proposal.

Let's just use [XYZ] where X is water Y is Wind and Z is fire. The only time X is ever seems to be used anywhere else is in situations where a character has something like 214A 214B 214C and 214D and they're different versions of the same move and you want to abbreviate mention of all of them into one command. Not onlly does Nine not have these types of specials but [XXX] has no command next to it so it can't really be mistaken that way.

If it sweetens the deal for any fellow megaman fans, X is blue and Z is Red in this situation.

Why on earth would we use these random letters?

On 12/16/2015, 2:30:11, Agni of Wands said:

What does Quas Quas Exort do?

What move are you talking about? That doesn't match any spell name or special move I know of.

7 hours ago, Myoro said:

Check out the combo thread, I started writing combos using the [W/A/F] notations. If people have complaints with that I'll change them accordingly. 

They're making a joke about Invoker. He's a character from a moba who's schitck is that he has up to any combination of three fire/ice/air orbs that he can swap between to alter his stats and then one spell that causes whatever combination of three orbs he has at the time to combine into a spell. Quas and Exort are the names of his Ice and Fire orbs respectively.

the corresponding spell for nine would be her fairy, incidentally.

21 hours ago, Myoro said:

It's worth pointing out that Nine has 6X, 4X, and j2X command normals on top of 5X/jX/2X. I still use X to talk about her set of normals regularly. Still don't see anything better than what Frost Monarch wrote other than gem names.

I don't particularly mind whichever way, but considering she has no negative edging, wouldn't most intuitive simply just be [ABC] notation for it? After all, those are the normals you'll be hitting with. At least in my mind, I don't associate her spells with elements as much as what buttons I used prior to it.

Look she's a complex character, When it comes down to what we should use for her Element runes annotation [x/x/x] it all comes down to the player, We all have different brains & We all learn in different ways so just Use which ever helps you understand it best, That's pretty much it, So stop trynig to alter the General one at the moment [W/A/F], If you don't understand the general one then just use your own. Like I use the color of the runes : Blue for Water | Green for Air & Red for Fire = [B/G/R]
that's the one that I use & I understand best, So yeah If you don't understand the most Simple & General one being used right now then just make up your own for your own use.

9 hours ago, Elemenope said:

I don't particularly mind whichever way, but considering she has no negative edging, wouldn't most intuitive simply just be [ABC] notation for it? After all, those are the normals you'll be hitting with. At least in my mind, I don't associate her spells with elements as much as what buttons I used prior to it.

Combo wise, this is ok. But spells might have to be mentioned individually, and that's where the different elements will have to be referred to.

Activating Flax Nature buffs the damage for the element that was last used, regarding specifics such as "for how long" and "how much damage", we don't know yet. 

It's been a while since I've posted interesting Nine things I've seen so I thought I'd start back up again since this is an interesting time in a new character's development since It's been about a month. Nine players are starting to get comfortable with their tools while people facing Nine are starting to get more familiar with what she's capable of and developing matchup strategies. This time I mostly nabbed footage from a very recent Shadow set.

Izayoi MU note: Much like you can cancel out Izayoi's Sonic Saber with Rachel's 5B to avoid her getting any stocks, you can cancel them out with Nine's normals for the same effect
https://youtu.be/gznnSnvd1mM?t=116

Here, Shadow uses Flax Nature in neutral. It's hard to tell what his full intended use was for the buff but I did notice that under the effects of the buffed wind aura, wind normals and spells do decent chip damage on block.
https://youtu.be/gznnSnvd1mM?t=146

Fairy into Uvarovite (AAF) Setup. We saw this a bit earlier in the thread too but this one is more set up to get a high/low mixup during the fire shower. Not a setup you always want to go for. There is a gap to get out when Nine throws out the Uvarovite as you can see by the Izayoi player trying to up back barrier out only to get caught by the fairy's downward blast. A reversal probably would've gotten them out of the situation. Still, I think it's definitely a nice option to go for every now and then when the element of surprise is on your side.
https://youtu.be/gznnSnvd1mM?t=550

Here's a different setup that Shadow tries to go for, just to show off more of how Fairy oki can lead to some interesting free form blockstrings. This time he tries to go for an Andratite (AAW) setup.
https://youtu.be/gznnSnvd1mM?t=755

Sometimes Fairy spell can be useful from neutral too
https://youtu.be/gznnSnvd1mM?t=818

This looks interesting. God Hand > Seed did work, but it definitely doesn't look like a true unblockable here, since Seed activated quite some time after Rain ended, and God Hand hit just a little earlier than that.

However, it might have been an UB if he omitted one normal before using Seed, so it would hit while Rain was still active.

Even if this was indeed an UB though, the real issue would be how to reliably make them block until Rain comes out. Shadow did a decent job regardless. I also just noticed that it's an "improved" version of the third setup Rurouni posted above

I really hope some new strong tech gets discovered; her tools make it pretty obvious that she was meant to be a setup character, but there's nothing particularly strong that we know of atm. And there will soon be a time when people don't block Rock with their face, therefore I hope something new comes up until then.

Im not great or anything but it seems like nine is very strong, and scary. Im starting think that characters without any neutral prescense or short range have a hellish time dealing with her. Just making an uneducated assumption here.

Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but during overdrive, Nine automatically receives a Flax Nature buff when she uses a spell: the nature of the buff is still dependent on the last element used.

Hitting projectiles with a normal will count towards stocking the spell gauge, so it'd be difficult to lose any fireball wars with that in mind.

Messed around with Flaux Nature a bit yesterday. 

Duration seems to depend on how many stock of a current spell has been used. As for damage I couldn't really test anything since the training mode on cabinets is very limited and (to my knowledge, I can't read Japanese well) there is no damage display option.

For example :

1W/1A/1F - 3-4 in game seconds

2W/2A/2F - 5-7 in game seconds

3W/3A/3F - 9-12 in game seconds

Also with this, if you have a mixed spell up such as WFF (Rock), when used for Flaux Nature, the highest number element (in this case F) would get the buff. Whenever you have one stock of each (WAF) I believe (still need to test) the last element that hit will be the buffed option.

Hope this helps, I still have a whole lot to learn with her  

Thought I'd post this. It's a few notes I wrote like a month ago but got lost in my many, many notes and things to do. Not really noticing anything new in particular these days so the next time I post, I'll probably focus more on matchup tidbits. Probably Carl next since Saki vs Ryuusei or Chiri is a pretty common occurrence at Playspot Big One (Early Preview: This matchup is SOOOOOO boring, lol)

Fairy goes away on block - https://youtu.be/N8bspwDhfU8?t=4342

Seen Shadow messing around with this a bit in his sets a while back. When nothing is in the active slot, 5A > 5C > Electric Orb For pressure reset or force them into taking to the sky. Or you can vary it up with 5A > 5C > 3C to get Kuzinite instead - https://youtu.be/FZjNmqGvpu0?t=362

Random Nu-13 notes I took since this is when one of the few MUs that interest me:
Teleport dash can be good to get past Ds and punish the whiffed D in some cases but on the other hand, careless teleport (air) dashing can get blown up by Luminous Slave - https://youtu.be/ZwDx3epC8Cc?t=4164
Strategically placed gravity seeds can be problematic to deal with - https://youtu.be/N8bspwDhfU8?t=4328

Fun character is fun. That dash is a commitment, looks like we have to know where we are going already, no waiting to react to if the foe reacts to the first teleport.

she feels fluid and very easy until it gets to the block strings and spells. Boy is there a lot to learn even after eating months of videos.

currently experimenting with her random spells super in combos, since it scales pretty good and can combo from several of the level 3 spells