Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rele

[Xrd] Millia Critique Thread

Post videos of your gameplay and ask for advice here!

I'll start out with one of my somewhat recent ranbat performances where I managed to place 2nd (vs Faust).

WF starts at 1:19:10

GF starts at 1:44:00

Think my biggest problem in this matchup is I play Faust's game too much. I don't move around items as efficiently as I could. Not sure though how to do this better. Mini-Faust in particular gives me a lot of problems.

I also did a lot of full run-up to go under f.S and fishing rod, but I failed to mix it up with iad to get around 2H so I ran into them a lot.

Anything else you could point out, go ahead. Roast me.

For the zoning, I think you should avoid jP wiff or any whiff move. Faust won't come toward you most of the time. So if you want to do a jP, I advise dash-jump-jp or airdash jP.
Air dash-pin as a zoning move in this match-up is kind of risky because Faust anti-air is very high and can touch you. But it seems to work in your video. I prefer doing jump forward-pin.

Look at the Karinchu vs Nage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIF-YhqhNXE
You'll see that Karinchu avoid to whiff his moves and when a pin whiff, he try to escape the situation.
He does airdash jP,  jump forward jS, dash 2K, 6H, jump forward-pin, jump-airdash back-pin-land-secret garden.

We watched this on stream last night. I didn't watch the whole thing, just 3 games of WF. 

Sorry that I don't have specific timestamps, I'm just going on memory from last night.

1) You should be more aware of your ground whiffs. For example, there is a part of the match where you dash past him and whiff 2K, then hit 5K anyway. You lucked out and got the hit, but you should consider judging the situation whenever you whiff a normal.

2) You should assume JP is going to hit when you do it. For example, if you're jumping towards the opponent, do something like JPKP or JPPP, if you're airdashing you should JP > JH. You miss a bunch of crucial conversions because you didn't set yourself up for a conversion properly.

3) If you're using 2H, use JK to confirm. You have more time/it's easier to confirm.

4) Establish your round start more. Let him know that you're willing to fS (which Faust has to go out of his way to respond to) before you do other stuff.

5) I agree with Jackal, airdash pin is a little risky. If you're going to do that, it should be because you think he's going to AA, 2H or throw an item. If he dashes deep with 6P or uses JH, he can tag you. I feel like you were a little to liberal with it.

6) The commitment to low profiling his normals were good, but don't be afraid to stop and judge the situation.

7) Try using 6P and 2H for ground vs ground as well - they are active, they beat scapel pull/fS/other moves, and it trades in Millia's favor. They also beat drill, which you got hit by a bunch from over committing to low profiling pokes.

8) When Faust's back is to the corner, try to space yourself so that you can threaten his pokes. As in, it should be outside 2D range. If you think drill is coming, dash 5P. If you think any ground poke is coming, use fS.

9) Maximize your conversions. There was a point where you did 5H > RC > dash 2KKS 2H > JKSH > ETC, which really drops your damage. On another note, even if you can't do dust loop, just hitting mixup > H Tandem (hits) > 6H(1) > JSD > iad JSH does a significant amount of damage.

Wow cool, thanks. I watched the stream archive to see what you had to say about it. Some stuff you mentioned:

1) 6K haircar: 100% agree with you. I don't know when/why I started doing this, probably hit a bunch of bad players with it :X

2) "There was a point where you did 5H > RC > dash 2KKS 2H > JKSH > ETC, which really drops your damage." - That combo started with 2KK (so it went 2KK 5S 5H RC dash 2K 5S 2H j.KSD etc) and Faust was already at guts-HP, so at the time I probably thought that adding in more small hits will give me more dmg than doing the usual route. I was probably wrong about this. (EDIT: went into pmode, doing the normal route at this health% with this starter squeezes out 2-3dmg more, pretty irrelevant). I know I sometimes do it even when the enemy is at full HP and it's also a bad habit I started doing for whatever reason. I usually do the 6H(1) etc combo after a hit disc mixup, I just never seemed to be able to open him up in winner's final :X

3) 2H/ air to air j.P conversions: yeah I usually do these, I had to facepalm quite sometime myself when I looked at this again. I was also hesitating way too often during knockdowns to get a disc out fast, I dont know why I'm thinking so slow.

4) There was a situation where I did somewhat delayed disc, 6K against 50 meter Faust. I'm pretty sure I intentionally delayed it because I know King_Rasta likes to do wakeup super, and if you do 6K late you go over it and CH it. If you do it asap the super wins. That's too hardread-y though, I could just go for airdash-mixups instead.

5) pin secret garden: the way I did it I get weakish mixups off it (1646), I have to do backdash 5K into 6K/2D to be safe against reversal throw. If i go for 1828 I can actually go for immediate tkbm/haircar and it will all connect. Both of them are fine imo. I don't agree with your general opinion that pin into sg is bad overall, even against Faust, but that's just me I guess.

Anything else both of you mentioned, I agree or I wasn't aware of it. Thanks for taking the time to look at it. I really need to work on getting some stability into my gameplay, I know I can do all these things you said, I'm just way too sloppy still.

If more people start posting their stuff here, I think it would be appreciated if you looked over them and commented on them on your stream again. It was kinda nice to see what someone had to say about it as he was watching it. If you don't mind, can I take that part of the stream and upload it to my YT channel for archival purposes?

I don't agree with your general opinion that pin into sg is bad overall, even against Faust, but that's just me I guess.

I'm agree with you. I think for some match-up, Secret garden is very good and for this match-up, it's extremely better than disc.Faust cannot mash anything, reversal, throw you without taking any risk and even if he escape from the air, his airdash is very bad. So he will just stay in the corner and you can try to AA him with jK or you can just jump-IB-throw.
Now look at the disc setup during the last round of EVO between Woshige and Nage. You can see the setup weaknesses when you have a good Faust who do smart stuff to escape. You have: IB-throw, IB-2P, 6P, 2P (if you do nothing or backdash) and of course, blitz and super.
In the corner if you don't want any problem with disc, you need to time your disc and your move correctly. For TK Badmoon, you need to delay disc and meaty TK Badmoon. For haircar, you do disc asap and meaty haircar or you delay disc and delay haircar. So that way, the haircar blockstun will increase Faust sprite and the disc will touch.

Just for clarification's sake, I think Secret Garden is (rightfully) amazing, but it's more the way you set it up I disagree with.

As I mentioned on the stream, optimally you want to be spaced at least one character length away so that you don't have to waste frames jumping/backdashing away from the opponent.

Also to add to Jackal's mention on how to set up disc - dashing and doing H Tandem should be enough to fulfill the "delay" that's mentioned.

I don't think it's that much of a difference - pin > sg > backdash is roughly the same amount of frame advantage and space as 6H > sg. It's just that I mainly practiced pin > sg more because of the potemkin matchup, where 6H > sg after a single launch combo is a free pot buster. And 6H after pin can be weird against Faust so I didnt feel comfortable using it when I didn't practice it.

Can i just say that pin 6h garden is something u should not do like ever. backdash garden is wack and seems like a funny idea. i would rather go for a pin garden close range then back dash and do it. sometimes even pin rose or pin disc.

also i guess ill post my playin bluenine (alex smith) here

anyone see anything glaring besides my lack of execution on everything under the fuckin sun. disappointing i know. played like ass :(

38 minutes ago, Synyster17 said:

Can i just say that pin 6h garden is something u should not do like ever

Depends on the matchup, some characters can't do anything about 6H sg, so it's perfectly fine to use it against them.

I watched the video. Don't really know what to criticize, I don't think I would've played this better than you. You basically bodied him 3-0 too, so you must have done something right, apart from some dropped combos and missed punishes. It's way easier to give tips in a losing match. Maybe Jackal/LK/someone else has something else to say though.

IIRC,  Pin > 6H > Garden is most definitely minus, so I think it's only applicable against characters with very slow face up wake up speed (with the exception of Chipp). Even then, I can't recommend it if they have the meter for blitz.

40 minutes ago, Lord Knight said:

IIRC,  Pin > 6H > Garden is most definitely minus, so I think it's only applicable against characters with very slow face up wake up speed (with the exception of Chipp). Even then, I can't recommend it if they have the meter for blitz.

Elp can get out of it im sure of that much cause u know lost savage jump blitzing. so that leaves Sin? i think he can slide no?

Just for clarification's sake, I think Secret Garden is (rightfully) amazing, but it's more the way you set it up I disagree with.

As I mentioned on the stream, optimally you want to be spaced at least one character length away so that you don't have to waste frames jumping/backdashing away from the opponent.

@LK: Agree. I see what you are talking about. You need a relaunch combo or a specific combo with no airdash to do that. Do you know one specific combo that work on most of the cast ?

@Synyster: You play very well. I don't play this match-up that way. I'm more carefull and do more 6H, AA and SG. I saw only two mistakes:
- After you drop more than 3 disc YRC, why don't you stop wasting your tension ? In the last match, disc S was the solution and you can tell me it's because of the match-up. Match-up is important, understanding how your opponent plays and adapt to his play is important too.
- At one point, you AA with 5A when you're opponent is very high in the air. Be carefull. It's not the good AA for this situation. 2H and 6P is better and lead to more damage.

@Synyster - first off, congrats on your win. Nice job getting the IK at the end too, lol.

That being said, I think there is a lot of stuff you can work on even though you won.

Again uh, I watched this last night, so I might have forgotten stuff. The real top of mind for me was that I noted that your neutral awareness is quite lacking. As in, I don't think you consider space in your movement/placement of normals. There are a bunch of examples of this - 

A) Airdash JH - Why? All of May's aerials beat this.
B) Whiff ground normal > press another normal - While this can be situationally OK, you pretty much did this everytime
C) Whiff air normal > throw mash/4H - When it works out, it's cool because you get the knockdown. When you get the trade, honestly, that's OK too since 5H is attack level 4, so it'll probably trade in your favor. However, you're leaving yourself vulnerable to people who are willing to wait for it. Also, if your air normal connects (thus, you won't be able to throw them when you knock them down) you get 5H on block, and your gatling options are incredibly limited. On top of that (and this happened), if for some reason you land on the wrong side unexpectedly, you get 6H - which has massive recovery.

I think your defense was a bit shaky too, but he didn't get many opportunities + you won 3-0, so I can't say too much about that.

@Jackal - You don't need to relaunch or dj to get optimal spacing for Garden. It's a combination of jumping straight up or away (which is character dependent) and making sure you do a certain amount of hits to force pushback, thus giving you the proper positioning when you land. You'll know you did it right if Millia is standing on the pin when she does SF > land > Garden.

For example, you can do (knockdown) > H Tandem > Bad Moon > cS(2) > j8SD > dj iad JKSH(3) > Silent Force > Garden and that should give you perfect spacing 100% of the time on the majority of the cast.

Hi people. So i played another couple Matches at a local and got rocked by Sol and May (the same May that i beat last tournament) This time it didn't go so well for me. first off for the sol i really have no idea wtf i could of done better besides the following

1. not dropping so much shit
  2. baiting better (Blitz comes to mind as well as DAA)
  3. ground and air neutral

for 1 its kind of obvious for me but for 2 and 3 im lost. baiting blitz i know i can do but i just need a better mindset maybe??? i know the sol match generally like ie the fs 2d 6p game on the ground etc etc but like damn man i just don't know. i have nothing written down about Sol at all in any shape or form.

anything else is also helpful and i mean alot cause i just don't know what else is going on (sucks that i sub this character 2) so someone plz help thanks :)

for the may match i haven't watched it yet so i will do that later and see if i need any help thanks again

You play very well under pressure. I'm impressed.

I can see easily two mistakes.
- When you tech, you need to be more on the defense against Sol or try to escape him. If you look at the video again, you'll see that you were touched by jH and 5K a lot.
- You dash too much during your pressure. Firstly, you can't dash like that if your opponent mash all the time. Secondly, you dash too far. You're always in Sol throw range. If you were against a japanese, you'll be throw in no time. Anyway, the sol player decided to mash and this strategy broke your pressure. You need to add to your pressure some frame traps. For example: jS-land-2S // jS-land-small dash-2K // jS-land-dust // 2K-2D etc...

On 12/20/2015 at 2:56 PM, Synyster17 said:

Hi people. So i played another couple Matches at a local and got rocked by Sol and May (the same May that i beat last tournament) This time it didn't go so well for me. first off for the sol i really have no idea wtf i could of done better besides the following

1. not dropping so much shit
  2. baiting better (Blitz comes to mind as well as DAA)
  3. ground and air neutral

for 1 its kind of obvious for me but for 2 and 3 im lost. baiting blitz i know i can do but i just need a better mindset maybe??? i know the sol match generally like ie the fs 2d 6p game on the ground etc etc but like damn man i just don't know. i have nothing written down about Sol at all in any shape or form.

That's some good advice from Jackal, I also wanted to give some comments on things I noticed on your matches vs Sol (as I play both characters):

- Far S - you mentioned this yourself, but it's really an amazing poke against Sol, especially when he's running all the way in and bullying you like that.  At worst you'll get hit by Sol's own far S (which leads to nothing), but more likely you'll beat out Sol clean.  It's also good to just do after a blocked jump in, if you feel the opponent is mashy.  Once you have meter, you can convert some of these into 5H RC -> air combo, which is a huge payoff.

- Jump D - I would avoid using this move air to ground against characters who run lower to the ground (Sol, Millia, Chipp) since it'll most likely whiff and you'll eat a punish during your landing recovery.  It's a great air to air at times, just try to not jump in with it.

- Teching: air teching is really strong in Xrd, since they added a bunch of invicibility to it since XX, so for the most part the only way you can get punished hard is by airthrow done on prediction.  Against Sol, I'm a fan of back teching then doing immediate double jump to gain more height (this keeps you safe from air throw), then coming down with either Turbofall, air dash, or air dash into Turbofall/Pin.  Neutral teching late also works well, but this can be punished hard by Wild Throw if the Sol sees you going for it often.  Teching in the same spot without double jumping is generally not so good, unless it's a really low air tech (eg. after you get hit by Sol OTG 2K xx Gunflame, you can forward tech and j.K him safely, if you're close enough)

What’s up guys wondering if I could get a critique/tip for my 2 losses from a local weekly tourney the first I lose to a fried 3-2 and the second link l lose 3-1. It’s a local Zato player I’ve beaten him twice in tourney but lost to him like 6 times in tourney lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/ontimeslackers/v/42874571?t=03h31m59s

http://www.twitch.tv/ontimeslackers/v/42874571?t=04h08m55s

Hi guys! I'll try to record some online matches to get some feedback, I wanted to ask for your opinions and tips, anything is welcome.
 The video is a bit long, but I hope you can watch some at least, I'll try to upload shorter videos.
Note: Im having problems with my pad lately, have problems with 3 and 1 inputs, sometimes mess my 2144, 2366 execution after a throw to set up a disc
 No, I don't have a stick for ps4, I'm poor :c

44 minutes ago, Kain_Dizengarth said:

Hi guys! I'll try to record some online matches to get some feedback, I wanted to ask for your opinions and tips, anything is welcome.
 The video is a bit long, but I hope you can watch some at least, I'll try to upload shorter videos.
Note: Im having problems with my pad lately, have problems with 3 and 1 inputs, sometimes mess my 2144, 2366 execution after a throw to set up a disc
 No, I don't have a stick for ps4, I'm poor :c

I would say your defense is a bit off (lacking MU knowledge?) and your neutral decisions about dealing with the shadow. Sometimes you decided to go after him without the pin and you got punished by Zato.

6h garden is not a legit setup in this game. anyone can jump blitz and get out of it.

your air to ground game in this MU is not that good. first round of game 3-4 show this. either A change it up or B don't go air to ground

your corner oki is good but you mid screen one needs work. Zato got out to many times without you mixuping him up (jump back, backdash, etc)

when you were in the corner you always-ed did super jump turbo to get out. granted he never punished you for doing it except once, but keep this in mind. you could also air dash out, pin, ETC

some corner combos could have gone into 5h 236s instead of just 2d

anyway thats it for the first 10 minutes. kind of hard to judge netplay matches but i did my best. also just a tip, if you playing online pick Central Organ Tower. It helps to minimize lag online.

I'm returning to the game after some time off (college, work, etc), and sadly, there isn't  many people that have good conection to play with here (I'm from Chile) and none here in my city u.u, so don't have that much MU knowledge yet, I have a decent base I think, but I'll try to get into the game and learn that as much as I can.

1 hour ago, Synyster17 said:

I would say your defense is a bit off (lacking MU knowledge?) and your neutral decisions about dealing with the shadow. Sometimes you decided to go after him without the pin and you got punished by Zato.

6h garden is not a legit setup in this game. anyone can jump blitz and get out of it.

your air to ground game in this MU is not that good. first round of game 3-4 show this. either A change it up or B don't go air to ground

your corner oki is good but you mid screen one needs work. Zato got out to many times without you mixuping him up (jump back, backdash, etc)

when you were in the corner you always-ed did super jump turbo to get out. granted he never punished you for doing it except once, but keep this in mind. you could also air dash out, pin, ETC

some corner combos could have gone into 5h 236s instead of just 2d

anyway thats it for the first 10 minutes. kind of hard to judge netplay matches but i did my best. also just a tip, if you playing online pick Central Organ Tower. It helps to minimize lag online.

Good points there, I'll check that, specially the midscreen Oki, that's definetly something that should be better.
I'll try to go after the shadow only if I have the pin, to make it safer, and try to kill it some other way before tryng to go agressive.

is Pin SG the way to go here? At least in this match up? Because, at least for me, 6HS SG is quite useful if timed right against some enemies, specially those that can wake Up DP, or wake up Super. Don't let them jump or attack without risking being hit.
  Thanks for the help. I'll try to post more videos later
 Any advise against Ino, that match up is really hard for me and there isn't any match up thread here for her :c

On 3/18/2016 at 2:13 PM, Kain_Dizengarth said:

is Pin SG the way to go here? At least in this match up? Because, at least for me, 6HS SG is quite useful if timed right against some enemies, specially those that can wake Up DP, or wake up Super. Don't let them jump or attack without risking being hit.

Any advise against Ino, that match up is really hard for me and there isn't any match up thread here for her :c

anyone can jump, blitz, air dash and escape 6h garden. most characters can actually just run forward and throw you for doing it. Sol can command throw you i believe.

there should be a MU thread under either old threads or the MU threads