Sign in to follow this  
Skye

[CF] Arakune Q&A/FAQ Thread

BBCF_Header_Q&A_Thread.png

Questions and Inquiries go here, any Q&A will be added to the first post, read through them, your question may already be answered.

Q. Is Arakune's Moth Super his EA

Fast Answer: No

In Depth Answer: The Moth Super is a curse exclusive super, like any DD it costs 50 meter. The moth stays on screen as long as curse it active, it's guaranteed to come out, does 1700 damage, doesn't advance the combo timer and is untechable on air hit. Arakune's EA is something different.

Going to commit to this character and having a Round 1 arcade with CF might help me learn Arakune.

However I was originally never an Arakune player so learning him is difficult. I already have some of the basics down, but are there any beginner resources that can help bring me up to speed?

Primarily looking for bug management and how to properly utilize curse neutral.

Hi GCYoshi, Theres no longer a need to conserve bugs curse is back to timer based. If I can get my hands on arcade, I would get down all his instant curse options and then learn curse mixups, guardcrush setups, oki setups and resets. 

In CF, the new B bug is very good at calling out players that try to jump, tech roll or mash out of pressure. On your neutral tech, B bug blows up any oki setup they throw at you. It may still have a blind spot, so it would be cool if you can check on that.

Along with the Guardcrush C bug, you want to vary your crossup timing with forward teleports, airdash and 214B teleport. In the corner there are more options, such as dive, low dash pinwheel, wall teleport and his crossups are much harder to read. Go invisible with 236B can hide your startup animations for PQ teleports.  

In the CF gameplay discussion thread, Noted topics or combos have video links. Or go to CF video page 2 and watch the recent Tomoyuki, Take, Monorisu and Giketomato videos. 

Since you have access, we might ask you to test some things for us in later future. Thanks!

Btw... Regarding the B bug, if someone ever bursts on you during curse, as you tech your B bug can punish them depending on their height. On most cases you can just forward roll tech and bugs will pin them down.

I think since you are a Bedman player, some of your aerial approach like attacking with j.4B is very similar to j.6S /j.6H. Should you j.4B from too high on block remember you can cancel to j.4A.

Other stuff:

j.6A/B/C is like j.6S but you can keep doing it without using jump stock. 

j.4C works similarly to j.3H for feints at close range or j.4B (1hit) cancel into j.4C .

Zoning:

j.22A/B/C is one of your counter to anti-airs as it gives plenty of blockstun for you to land with jB. But as Arakune, you can also delay j.4B, use air APQ/CPQ to get in or airdash j.4A+B to get in.

j.22C followed by j.6D nets good curse meter on block. After they get hit by 2C>6D should you read their neutral tech, do tk j.22C then ground 22C for two spiders.

Sure I'll try to test stuff, despite not knowing the character well. I need to find a time where no one is playing and just training room lol.

Hey GCyoshi, here is a few things you could test in your own time. Cheers!

- could 6B guard point lows? negative on block?

- Landing positions of ground/air APQ at the corner. Does it crossup?

- invulnerability startup frames of BPQ and CPQ on neutral.

- Here's a tough one. Can you reproduce the APQ setup and choose sides like in the Giketomato videos?

After he ended jC with j.APQ in the corner, there is this really ambiguous crossup. 

edit: found two clearer footage. left and right

Hey all! I'm a Zato player from East Coast, and I'm pretty determined to pick up Arakune in CF. I used to play him way back in CT, but he seems more complicated now.

Some people tell me I should main Relius. But what do you think would transfer over as a Zato player? Anything besides negative edge?

I dont think Arakune has as much negative edge as Zato or Carl even. You can just buffer bugs most of the time. If you want Zato character, Relius is closer. While Zato is an aerial character, he does not neccessarily have to approach from the air. Where as Arakune requires to be on the air a lot more. Lets just say in CF, once you get down into training mode for Arakune's precurse combos, your character is pretty much ready to cause salt with jB and 5A. 

On 4/12/2016 at 8:47 AM, Davo87 said:

j.22A/B/C is one of your counter to anti-airs

Is this even true any more? didn't it get slowed down again? As terrible as CPEX arakune is aerial spider is so so good so if i'm mistaken i'd be very happy

j.22a/b/c are not very good anti-anti airs, there's too much recovery. Your ideal anti AA is a well timed double jump j.4b, in a pinch or a bad situation with disjointed hitboxes, j.d is your next bet.

10 hours ago, Shigekazu said:

May I ask a question is arakune broken? If so why are people playing different charcters?

I don't think hes broken. He's definitely better, but better doesn't have quite so much meaning since he was really low tier last couple blazblue releases.

I think the biggest issue is he can basically full curse from just about any starter...even 5a.

In the top 30 rankings there usually 1 arakune on average listed there and he definitely looks beatable in high level japanese play. I think one of the main issues is that the average NA player doesn't want to learn how to deal with him. They would rather just enjoy some kind of unspoken contract where no one plays arakune and so therefore no one needs to learn how to defend against him. They don't know how to handle his crossups or just try to mash out...and get punished for it. If you watch toushinsai, he's quite beatable.

Just my 2 cents there.

As an arakune player, I guess I'm glad hes not so weak anymore, he used to just get disrespected and destroyed before at higher levels...but I don't like the overall thematic change. I liked it better when curse was harder to get, but was also more rewarding.

On 11/2/2016 at 11:39 AM, Zahlzeit said:

For people crazy enough to play pad Arakune, how do you have your button layout setup?

pad arakune? man i cant help you there I have a stick and couldn't imagine arakune without one.

Hey guys, any advice on how to control bugs when doing same button gatlings (for example, and in my case, C-bug when doing 5C>236C) and just in general?

I'm doing the hard-tier #9 combo in Challenge Mode and when I get to the 5C>236C part of the combo, C-bug comes out immediately after the lick and before wheel, which is messing up the whole thing for me.

Oh, and I'm using pad. I wonder if I should try out stick though...

16 hours ago, Desert Fox said:

Hey guys, any advice on how to control bugs when doing same button gatlings (for example, and in my case, C-bug when doing 5C>236C) and just in general?

I'm doing the hard-tier #9 combo in Challenge Mode and when I get to the 5C>236C part of the combo, C-bug comes out immediately after the lick and before wheel, which is messing up the whole thing for me.

Oh, and I'm using pad. I wonder if I should try out stick though...

5c 236c? are you talking about j236c? I dont think 236c does anything in particular. Im also trying to figure out when you would ever 5c (lick) into wheel? The only way you can delay that bug is by holding down the C button.

Your going to have to get used to piano-ing in inputs, and negative edging. Arakune is a strange character all around. Forget everything you know about 2d fighters haha.

5 hours ago, GoBL1N said:

5c 236c? are you talking about j236c? I dont think 236c does anything in particular. Im also trying to figure out when you would ever 5c (lick) into wheel? The only way you can delay that bug is by holding down the C button.

Your going to have to get used to piano-ing in inputs, and negative edging. Arakune is a strange character all around. Forget everything you know about 2d fighters haha.

Yeah, it's j.236C. I derped. :s Many apologies for that.

I'm also wondering the same thing. 5C>j.236C is rather unorthodox to me. This is the notation for the combo I'm talking about:

5B > 5D > 3C > OD-cancel > 5C > j.236C > C and D bug make contact > 236236C

The mystery for me here is how to get C-bug to come after wheel (in other words, get C-bug to connect so that D-bug can hit) so that D-bug can make contact and let me do laser super. Perhaps I'm not doing it fast enough.

Right you are, chief. For me, playing Kune for the first time was a total brain twister since the fundamentals you mentioned were completely alien to me lol.

On 11/18/2016 at 7:41 PM, Desert Fox said:

Yeah, it's j.236C. I derped. :s Many apologies for that.

I'm also wondering the same thing. 5C>j.236C is rather unorthodox to me. This is the notation for the combo I'm talking about:

5B > 5D > 3C > OD-cancel > 5C > j.236C > C and D bug make contact > 236236C

The mystery for me here is how to get C-bug to come after wheel (in other words, get C-bug to connect so that D-bug can hit) so that D-bug can make contact and let me do laser super. Perhaps I'm not doing it fast enough.

Right you are, chief. For me, playing Kune for the first time was a total brain twister since the fundamentals you mentioned were completely alien to me lol.

geez that combo they are making you do looks so weird man...take the challenge mode/practice mode combos with a grain of salt, they sometimes arent what the top tier players are doing. Yeah...I can't see that combo working unless you hold 5c down until you absolutely have to let go to the wheel, because OD will force curse up, at some point you have to let go of c on that 5c...the best thing you can do is hold it until its time for wheel. Maybe the wheel has to be low to the ground? theres a weird double overhead setup with low to the ground wheel I see players do but its always in the corner after jb.

challenge modes also usually provide a sample play, I would see what they expect you to do, i know guilty gear shows samples so you can see what completion looks like.

but also, dont put too much time practicing this lol, 5c lick during curse is a rare one, I only see it after a guard crush...and that means C bug already happened.

The answer to the question here is:

When you OD-cancel there is a very brief window in which curse bugs will not come out. You need to hit and release 5C more quickly after the OD-cancel. The Cbug will not come out, and you can go ahead and do j.236C as normal.

It is a very wonky combo and not something that is very practically useful.

Sign in to follow this