Skye

[CF] Arakune Technical and Gameplay Discussion Thread (The Combo Thread)

Some Mothra usage in Take's matches in [Maxim Heroes] 3on3. Aside from Souji this is another player capable of OCV teams.

against Hibiki and here.

against Mu-12 and here

against Kagura

against Ragna (this setup is ideal)

6C combo for 5k dmg but instead of going into 6C rekka this is different.

6A combo for 3k dmg when unable to curse.

2B anti-air combo into full curse.

j.B combo for 4.8k dmg.

5A hitbox covers Arakune's rear. Seen it counterhit Bang's Hurricane fury and Mu-12's  63214B.

On 2/24/2016 at 1:47 PM, Davo87 said:

Ah I see, jC still works on those two chars. Well glad to hear jB is legit, cos jB starter into jB bug combo can do 4K dmg meterless. (pasted from above.)

After he ended jC with j.APQ in the corner, there is this really ambiguous crossup. 

edit: found two clearer footage. left and right

update: against Arakune. left.

The left and the right seem to be the same actions performed how is he choosing what side he ends up on?

Hooray demo.

To answer some questions we all had:

-P reject works purely on proximity. If the opponent is in any state (neutral, blocking, attacking, hit stun) the spider comes out if the opponent's push box (not hurt box) and clone touch. Blocking opponents will not be wrapped up, but the spider on block doesn't seem like an easy punish.  214B (the fake walk) seems the most useful at first glance since it puts your clone body right over them and activates P reject against pretty much every grounded state I've tried so far. YES, as the Pspider is triggered by the opponent's pushbox and not their hurtbox it does bait dead angles and DPs and has a pretty damn good hit box; it will catch C Divider pretty much 100%, and will catch a good portion of Azrael's.

- The wheel (j.236C) can be done extremely low to the ground now, and all hits are still overheads. I'm not sure why we didn't see this used a lot on JP play, but this seems like one of the cheapest things he got. IAD j. 4B, j. 236C in curse is like a ten hit string that must all be blocked high, confirms, and does good damage while still having a lot of low options. Considering the hit box on j. 236C it's probably a really good way to pin people down once you're in curse now.

- The recovery reduction on the cloud is extremely noticeable.

-The lowered height restriction on wall teleport is fairly low now. He can enter the wall exactly where a standing arakune's mask is/about where most characters 5As hit.

WHATS UP GUYS

Allow me to contribute to this list of findings.

Well, I didn't find anything new, just confirmed a few theories, mainly with curse set ups, but here are my impressions.

Good things

• If you played CPE, most of your curse set ups will transfer over to CF.
  • Cross ups are more stable in CF due to the C bug vacuuming towards Arakune, instead of a fixed direction
  • ODEA is as good as it first seemed, specifically for Arakune, if you have curse built up, you do lose a good chunk on successful EA, at about 25 curse (1/4th), you lose it all on successful EA, big part of his defensive meta will have to take this into consideration
  • PRECURSE COMBOS ARE FREE WE CT BOYS AGAIN
  • Teleports are far far more practical now, less chance of it blowing up in your face by pure chance, this is in part due to some teleports leaving Arakune airborne, which is a bigger deal than I originally gave it credit for.
  • 6b auto-guard, gimmick city at first, but proved to be a big buff to Arakune's RPS game.
  • His jump feels faster, are we back to 3f jump? idk, but Arakune felt so stiff in CPE and he's so fluid in CF, SOMETHING had to have changed.

Not-so-good things

• The 5a confirm is very tricky and will require consistent execution, the right IAD j.b, being close enough to the ground (but not too close) when hitting j.c, knowing which direction to press 6d and even the 6d > delay j.3d, which you'll learn there's way more leeway for delaying it than there was in CPE, it has to be pretty spot on. Just get a feel for it, but that some of Arakune's hardest precurse confirms yet.
  • 5a pushback, not a super big deal, just be aware of it, it's very noticeable and you'll find yourself out of range a lot faster than you're used to.

He's back, guys, and I'm back with him.

I won't start throwing up new threads until the official full release October 6th, but I have a full on video tutorial planned. Now I know I've let you guys down in the past concerning this and it's exactly why I want to get it right, last time I tried, the recording equipment  belonged to someone else and my work life soaked up so much time that my free time was spent doing other shit and the project fell behind and ultimately died. But now I own my own recording hardware and software and a mic for voice commentary and I have a rough draft already written out for an 8 part video series where I cover pretty much everything including (but not excluded to);

• Movement
  • Pre-curse combos
  • Curse set ups
  • Curse combos
  • Oki
  • Normals
  • Specials
  • Drive
  • Supers
  • OD
  • Defense
  • General Combo and Curse Theory

I'll dedicate a weekend on the footage and edit it all together and make a thread not unlike my CP 1.0 Combo Thread where I did pretty much the same thing, but in written format. The Thread will coexist with the video series and reference each other all throughout so there's a resource that you can read notations with and see a list of combos all while having visual demonstrations to help ease the learning experience. I want a couple weeks to make the adjustment to CF Arakune, then I'll revise my rough draft and make preparations for recording the first available Saturday I can get, if life doesn't bend me over, I can have everything up the first weekend of the full game's release.

Just got the JP demo.  Haven't really had a chance to read through everything yet fully, but I don't think it's been mentioned yet:

IAD buffer finally works on Arakune (inputting 96).  This must mean he jumps faster now?

Either way, after CPE being an immense disappointment as an Arakune main, I'm overwhelmingly glad to say that I love this iteration of Arakune.

Went full retard mode and tried to post this comment in two wrong threads before posting it here... >__>

Having a real IAD is amazing. I had one question for veterans of the character. How do you IAD into empty low?

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 9:12 AM, DrKatz said:

Having a real IAD is amazing. I had one question for veterans of the character. How do you IAD into empty low?

Airdash j. 4C whiff causes the fast fall. 

A few extra frame data changes: 2B is now 8 frames making it his fastest low and a better starter than 2A (though it's minus on block, looks ~-2), the new B bug is 13 frames, and 6A hits crouchers on frame 24 this time around.

Just got my copy of BBCF in last night. Played around with the new Arakune for the evening. I like the ease and universality of some of the full-curse midscreen combos.

The change to the curse bugs no longer costing curse meter is interesting. Though, I feel like they also have a longer cooldown period before they can be resummoned. A couple times I dropped my standard CD bug -> Pinwheel -> CD bug in the corner.

Is there any reason to use the 2C combo routes? (eg. XX>5B>2C>XX)

It seems like it is pretty much always better to use the 6B combo routes instead for more curse/corner carry... (eg. XX>6B>jc>J6D>XX)

I need to play around more with his new curse DD (moth) to get used to having it in the toolkit.

I like the XX>3C>ODC>EA option as well. If you have an early lead with a bit of curse meter it could really swing the momentum and put you in AF with enough time to get your burst back quickly.

On 10/13/2016 at 8:36 AM, Kezia said:

Is there any reason to use the 2C combo routes? (eg. XX>5B>2C>XX)

It seems like it is pretty much always better to use the 6B combo routes instead for more curse/corner carry... (eg. XX>6B>jc>J6D>XX)

Midscreen, 2C is just used in situations where 6B won't reach, like a max range 2A confirm. In the corner you get full curse off either one so it's less of an issue, you can just use whatever is more expedient based on what normal you're confirming off.

I found these combos on the first page of this thread. Looks like transcribed from a Souji video. Can anyone confirm if they are still valid combos?

1. IAD j.4B>5A>6B>JC j.6D>IAD j.B(1)>j.C>j.D|>j.A>j.A>j.B(1)>j.C>j.D>Bird>JC j.C>j.D>Bird>Wheel>6 Cbugs>Fog/Invis>6A
  2. 6A>6B>JC j.6D>IAD j.B(1)>j.C>j.D|>j.A>j.A>j.C>j.D>Bird>JC j.C>j.D>Bird>Wheel>6 Cbugs>Fog/Invis>6A

I am having a hard time connecting the IAD j.B(1)>j.C>j.D|>j.A.

Are we sure this is j.D and not j.2D? I have tried both...

I have two scenarios happening: 1. the j.B>j.C>j.D happens too high in the air, I can't land fast enough to recover and jump again for the follow up. I'm thinking maybe my issue here is that the IAD is not early enough? Somehow I need to try and catch this lower to the ground...

2. I tried IAD j.4B instead and land too soon to even hit j.C.

Anyone getting these combos down?

12 hours ago, Kezia said:

I found these combos on the first page of this thread. Looks like transcribed from a Souji video. Can anyone confirm if they are still valid combos?

I am having a hard time connecting the IAD j.B(1)>j.C>j.D|>j.A.

Are we sure this is j.D and not j.2D? I have tried both...

I have two scenarios happening: 1. the j.B>j.C>j.D happens too high in the air, I can't land fast enough to recover and jump again for the follow up. I'm thinking maybe my issue here is that the IAD is not early enough? Somehow I need to try and catch this lower to the ground...

2. I tried IAD j.4B instead and land too soon to even hit j.C.

Anyone getting these combos down?

It's IAD j. 5B, j. 4C, the 4C input keeps him lower to the ground and lets you recover in time. That combo works like 90% of the time as written, but the other 10% if they were at the tip of your 6B range when you confirmed, you'll have to let the j. B hit more than once before the j. 4C. The timing to get that sequence at the right height is a little tight, but on the bright side if you can get that one bit down (the jump cancel airdash j. 5B, j. 4C) you're home free. That's about the hardest thing he has to do in this version.

The more common version that you should probably learn since it more closely mimics his other pre-curse confirms is xx, 6B, j. 6D, jump cancel airdash j. B, j. 4C, j.D, 6D delay jump cancel, j. D, curse ender of choice. You basically just bounce them between 6D and j. D which is how his corner confirms work as well. If the bell bug on 6D isn't coming out, you're jump cancelling it too early.

8 hours ago, 9:02 PM said:

It's IAD j. 5B, j. 4C, the 4C input keeps him lower to the ground and lets you recover in time.

Wow! Thanks! I hadn't even thought to try j.4C. I'll try that out when I get back home tonight.

2 hours ago, Argent Zero said:

IAD = Instant air dash?

Yeah. I think technically it's only an 'instant air dash' if it's off the ground, but you're jump cancelling the j. D with the same 956 input so it's easier to just write it as IAD.

If you are jump cancelling into the air dash, for example in this combo, I find it easier to just input 959 (same trick worked for some Millia combos in GG).

xx>j.D>959>j.B(1)>xx

On the ground it has to be 956 or you risk a double jump instead of the air dash. If you are jump cancelling you are already on your double jump and cannot triple jump.

Thanks for the information 9:02! I was able to almost pull the mid-screen full curse combo (IAD is really hard and frustrating). I'll keep at it. At least I got the corner setup just right.

Yeah the BnB combo has a few intricacies that aren't readily apparent. I spent a few hours working on this combo last night and still can't hit it reliably.

I don't know if you are in the discord group, but you should join up if you are not. We have had some discussions going on about it over the past few days.

The IAD needs to be done very late after the j.D.

Also the j.b>j.4C part is a bit tricky. You have to tap 4 instead of hold it, if you hold it too long it will change the direction Arakune falls after he hits.

Discord is a relatively new voice/text chat platform, similar to things like Skype or teamspeak. It is different in the sense that it also has text channels where people can discuss different aspects of the game, post videos and set up stickies etc. It is software that runs either on a computer, or a smartphone (I have both) and is free to download.

It is much more active than the forums these days.

Here is a link to the reddit thread: Blazblue Reddit

and here is a link to the google doc that has the specific character channels (you need to click the link to the Arakune channel to be "invited" to it): Character Channels

Also note, the BnB should be j.5B>j.4C

j.4B is a tough habit to kick for this combo lol

Tell me about it, ive been working on this since CF dropped on consoles and its rough trying to stabilize his basic BnB.

Also I play rachel and arakune and BOTH of them are now IAD happy with their basic routes...I actually hate it haha.

My main issue seems to be at the end, that final j6b > jump canc > jc > jd, my next j6b whiffs because arakune is too high and/or the opponent wasn't launched by the final jd high enough. im about 50/50 with the stability of this part...anyone figure this out?

Also does anyone know why sometimes arakune players after one of the jd's they will do one of his fake teleports and do the spider grab route? when and why do they do that? Im having trouble discerning why I'm seeing this and when I should do it.

On 10/18/2016 at 0:32 AM, 9:02 PM said:

The more common version that you should probably learn since it more closely mimics his other pre-curse confirms is xx, 6B, j. 6D, jump cancel airdash j. B, j. 4C, j.D, 6D delay jump cancel, j. D, curse ender of choice. You basically just bounce them between 6D and j. D which is how his corner confirms work as well. If the bell bug on 6D isn't coming out, you're jump cancelling it too early.

Are you sure its just 6D > JD, I thought JD would be to close it won't be under the bell bug right? Are you sure its not J3d?

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:30 PM, GoBL1N said:

My main issue seems to be at the end, that final j6b > jump canc > jc > jd, my next j6b whiffs because arakune is too high and/or the opponent wasn't launched by the final jd high enough. im about 50/50 with the stability of this part...anyone figure this out?

Also does anyone know why sometimes arakune players after one of the jd's they will do one of his fake teleports and do the spider grab route? when and why do they do that? Im having trouble discerning why I'm seeing this and when I should do it.

Are you sure its just 6D > JD, I thought JD would be to close it won't be under the bell bug right? Are you sure its not J3d?

The BnB you are working on seems to be different than the one I was referring to. Could you list the full combo route?

I'm doing: 5A>6B>j.6D>jump cancel air dash>j.5B>j.4C>j.D>6D>j.3D>jc.6B>j.236C etc. etc.

In regards to the teleports, without the footage I would say it likely depends on the amount of curse meter prior to the starter. If you only need 3 curse moves to get to full meter you may want to change up the route so you end in j.236C earlier for oki.

... and yes, j.3D. In the corner you can use j.D (and I find it easier too, I'm used to jumping forward a bit then j.3D midscreen, in the corner you want to jump straight up and j.D).

4 hours ago, Kezia said:

The BnB you are working on seems to be different than the one I was referring to. Could you list the full combo route?

I'm doing: 5A>6B>j.6D>jump cancel air dash>j.5B>j.4C>j.D>6D>j.3D>jc.6B>j.236C etc. etc.

In regards to the teleports, without the footage I would say it likely depends on the amount of curse meter prior to the starter. If you only need 3 curse moves to get to full meter you may want to change up the route so you end in j.236C earlier for oki.

... and yes, j.3D. In the corner you can use j.D (and I find it easier too, I'm used to jumping forward a bit then j.3D midscreen, in the corner you want to jump straight up and j.D).

According to the quote you follow up 6d with jd:

"his other pre-curse confirms is xx, 6B, j. 6D, jump cancel airdash j. B, j. 4C, j.D, 6D delay jump cancel, j. D "

But after reading your response perhaps you were referring to the corner, yeah I jd in the corner. You did say j3d as well the second time. Thats what I was referring to.

Regarding the teleports, go here and go to 1:03:48, this is what i mean:

The rachel player bursts out, so we don't get to see it finish but this is what I'm referring to. If I see any other examples I will get back to you, I've seen this quite a few times not exactly with that starter/scenario, but I have.

Agreed about your last statement, using JD and not j3d helps, the pushback from jumping straight up and doing jd is actually a good thing haha because sometimes the opponent went over my head in the corner.

While were at it, does anyone know why opponents are getting guard crushed in the corner by invisible arakune just sitting there? I know the C bug crushes, but I don't see arakune doing mixup, he just sits there invisible...Use the same video I linked above and now go to 1:13:35, this is what I mean. I don't get why hes getting crushed, maybe I'm not seeing something because arakune is invisible? Or am I just over analyzing this? Did the Naoto player just...decide not to use barrier even though its pretty expected for a c-bug to bite on wakeup?