Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fatewalker

Colorado GG/BB match thread *2009*

i actually don't really like drawing other peoples characters that much. the 3 i have on DA are alli've ever done. the Sol and Dizzy ones i was asked to do. checking your DA now.

i was the black dude that was drunk and krsjin was the white dude that were in the room. edit: just saw that you were here in colorado :( unfortunately a guy at work got fired and new dude is being trained so i can't come up to ndk on sat.

Sooooooooo, I got to play vs PhaethonH. It was pretty cool, I learned some new tricks. I also learned just how underplayed Carl really is, and just how quickly the crowd can go from loving Carl to hating him. He's pretty good, but I have a feeling he was sandbagging pretty hardcore, even when I told him to try. D: Buuuuuuuuuuuut, that doesn't mean he didn't do cool stuff. Carl's super is more broken than the clap loop, srsly. Gonna work on getting my execution on point this week. I'm really stoked for PIF.

Well, I do, but I want to do higher damage loop set-ups. EDITED OUT STUPID STUFF THAT DOESN'T MATTER! Also, I was playing on a stick that was really sludgy, and I got used to slamming the stick around to do pretty much anything. Now that I'm back on a JLF, I end up IADing because I'm putting too much force into movements, and blowing past the points on the stick. That prolly didn't mean anything to you, but yeaaaaah. Also, my character requires a bit of technical prowess. I don't have super easy mode gatlings and cancels, knamean? That and you can't use the buffer trick on any Nirvana portion of a combo, and I have to know exact fallspeeds for certain loops, allecan, blah blah blah. tl;dr - I'm getting used to a JLF stick again, want to do more damage, and Carl requires you to actually be technical to play him. =(

:D Maaaaaaaaan I still have no Noel exp, and no one seems to have solid advice on playing vs her. Despite being "overplayed", she's pretty underplayed on high-level, and not too many people seem to know what she has going for her. Ghei..

Alrighty. So at NDK, I tried to steer some BlazBlue people over to dustloop, to this thread in particular. Best of the time there was Saturday with BB in the halls, going by accepted Casuals rules. Although I'm beginning to think we should have gone with a loser-stays policy to give newcomers a chance to brush up. It's a shame the rig was a fail on Sunday. Transport infrastructure fell apart :( I'd like the NDK BlazBlue people to post up in this thread, follow up on the experience at NDK and get some discussion going on what went right, what went wrong, mostly about the unofficial rig. And also any talks of coordinating future BlazBlue sessions, face-to-face or online.

Hey, this is Jamaal. I guess I'll post on Dustloop a little. I liked my cozy home at Extrafresh though :(

We ALL know the NDK tournament went horribly wrong, no lie. It'll ALWAYS go wrong in some aspect, and it's as I told you and many others, "They said to give them suggestions, but if you do prepared to get chewed out for it." It's a yearly thing we've probably gotten more accustomed to than we know. It's a small(er) time con with people running who don't really play fighters, and don't understand that just because we're all forced to use the same controller doesn't make it fair to the newer players. It just makes us all suffer. Just how things are.

All things regardless, and especially with how well you were doing with the controller, I feel you handled it pretty bad. Yeah, we're mad, but enjoy yourself more. If you spent all that money coming here, at least loosen up, and don't throw a fit man. You seemed like a completely chill guy and I wasn't expecting that from you at all on a free tournament run by an ANIME convention, and I was disappointed at this. =/ Just some future outlook man.

NDK was fun as a whole. I was glad there was a separate set-up on Saturday night, that was pretty funsies. I didn't hear anything about a loser stays rule or anything for the few moments I was there. If I had, I would have agreed. Or randoms, both leaves, etc. That's one thing I understand about NDK's game policies and it would have worked well with how many people were waiting. Still, anyone doing good did various things to keep a line flowing, playing lesser characters, giving up controllers, etc. This was awesome and if it could be done again next year, I'd be all for helping make it happen again! Otherwise, I enjoyed NDK.

When's the next time you'll be down, Fred? That is, if you already have intentions of coming back to visit your homies. :) Can't spell Colorado without Get-Togethers. We'll always get something organized for whenever. Including your epic return!

Hey, this is Jamaal. I guess I'll post on Dustloop a little. I liked my cozy home at Extrafresh though :(

We ALL know the NDK tournament went horribly wrong, no lie. It'll ALWAYS go wrong in some aspect, and it's as I told you and many others, "They said to give them suggestions, but if you do prepared to get chewed out for it." It's a yearly thing we've probably gotten more accustomed to than we know. It's a small(er) time con with people running who don't really play fighters, and don't understand that just because we're all forced to use the same controller doesn't make it fair to the newer players. It just makes us all suffer. Just how things are.

I've been to anime cons where the tournaments weren't handled so badly, so "being an anime convention" doesn't fly with me. Anime Expo 2009 (CA) tournament was handled in a way I did not expect, but it did go smoothly and in a proper bracket. Fanime 2009 (CA) BB tournament was run by someone who, while he may stumble a bit in the details, puts lots of heart into doing it properly. Arguably the NDK tourney was run smoothly, in the sense that driving a steamroller on the highway runs a smooth rush-hour commute. :I:

Nor do I accept the "free" excuse. I paid for con registration, part of that money went into the game room and their tournaments. The entry fee was buried in there somewhere, as far as I care -- even badge was required to get in. So it's not "free" in even the loosest sense.

But, yeah, I'll admit my reaction was at an intensity far past what is considered normal. That's how I am. I'm passionate about a few things, but of those things, I have very strong feelings -- what I lack in quantity is made up for in quality. I don't think that's a justification at all, but it is an exposure of a latent facet of my personality. IOW, it can happen again.

A tournament is where I expect to perform at my best. At NDK... on a pad... no, sorry, but I can't even do a piss-poor demonstration on pad. The only reason why I was able to actually do anything on the XB360 pad is because it's so big I could use it as a tiny unanchored stick. I don't feel it's anything to be proud about... it felt like racing a training-wheel BMX bike in a He-man tricycle race billed as a motocross.

But most of all was how they were unable to keep their communications straight. I already went on very long rants about West Coast Warzone 2009 (CA), partly about how what they were saying before the tournament and what actually transpired were at such polar opposites as to border on disgrace. I rate NDK tourney far worse, as not only were there failures in communication, there were great wins in miscommunications :pissed:

NDK was fun as a whole. I was glad there was a separate set-up on Saturday night, that was pretty funsies. I didn't hear anything about a loser stays rule or anything for the few moments I was there. If I had, I would have agreed. Or randoms, both leaves, etc. That's one thing I understand about NDK's game policies and it would have worked well with how many people were waiting. Still, anyone doing good did various things to keep a line flowing, playing lesser characters, giving up controllers, etc. This was awesome and if it could be done again next year, I'd be all for helping make it happen again! Otherwise, I enjoyed NDK.

Don't get me wrong. The NDK VGR screwups didn't mar my entire time there, despite the inordinate amount of bits and air I'm expending on it. Taken as whole, NDK was on the enjoyable side -- meeting new people, getting some decent comp, planning our conquest of Colorado... I mean... uh... enjoying some good games. The Saturday casuals were the highlight of my time there. THAT was some pretty good times (although I don't know where you kept running off to). But reminiscing in that is best shared with others who were there, which is why I'm trying to get NDK attendees to post up and share. I don't want to engage in lengthy unilateral monologues about the highlights of Saturday. Most of my concentration was on exposing BB to people interested in learning the game for real, so my memories of actual interactions at the casual rig has to be jogged by others.

So, post up, dangit :P

When's the next time you'll be down, Fred? That is, if you already have intentions of coming back to visit your homies. :) Can't spell Colorado without Get-Togethers. We'll always get something organized for whenever. Including your epic return!

Hard to tell. Upcoming tournaments near my home town are 9/26, 10/10, 10/31. Any visit to Colorado, I would like to have overlap with a tournament, but not required. I'm open to suggestions for timing another visit. At earliest, October; November might be more doable, depending on what crops up locally. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you guys again. :thumbu:

EFL Paid in Full- 9/26/09 http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7004

NVGA Holiday Bash- December '09 http://www.ccct2k.com/Bash.php

NVGA Fighter Frenzy- january of 2010 http://www.ccct2k.com/FF.php

NVGA Colorado Cutthroat Consol Tornament- june 2010 http://www.ccct2k.com/CCCT.php

i plane on making it to most of these. stupid Meet goin the way of PIF.... i'm sure there will be more EFL tournies later in the year also.

I need someone to clear this up for me... There seems to be a bit of a split personality thing involved with the NDK VGR/tournament... On the whole, the NDK VGR left me with a sour taste. I see C3's name attached to the NDK VGR -- or at least tournaments -- so right now there's a bit of stain on C3's name in my mind atm. My issue comes down to this: Is the NDK VGR/tournament reflective of C3's usual modus operandi? If not, why/how was the NDK VGR not reflective of C3? If so, why should I go to a(nother) C3 tourney?

NVGA had no say in the VGR. All they did was give winners of tournaments free admission to a C3 event for their respective games. NDK runs their game room, not NVGA. NVGA does a few things wrong. Casual set-ups isn't one of them. Honestly, Greg should have told the NDK staff to fuck off.