Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valentine

Pressure Strings

The GG forums have been collecting dust as of late, and Zappa was never a popular character to begin with, so let's pump a bit of life into this thing. I'm looking for pressure strings for all of his forms. This is what I've been doing (or attempting to do): Naked: Nothing. Run away and summon : / Sword: Swordswipe to back them away, 6HS if they start coming close, uppercut/2HS if they jump in Ghost: f.s is my best friend, or run in 2p, 2k, 5s, 5s, 5h, 236s (FRC) repeat and sprinkle in 5D or 6HS Dog: 2p, 2k, 2hs, 5d, repeat and sprinkle in 6HS, 8D, and hopefully catch them in a 2D Raoh: Darkness Anthems, run in and 5HS and go into pickup, or 5D into Edguy My Zappa pressure is suck, I'm well aware of that. Help me out!

With sword I usually do this: Run in>2P>5P>2D>236S>follow-up. -----------------------if 236S was teched out early and missed and they jump for me::2Hx2>sword DP....and if their like my scrubby friends then swordswipe for good measure because their gonna rush in. Run in>6K>5S (both hits)>236(FRC)>Swordswipe (wallbounce)>Swordswipe. If I'm aerial coming to the ground I usually j.K>(hit ground)5S/2S/5H. Ghost: Run and curse. If they get close, well, I am for 2P>5K>2D>236K/S=Curse. Actually, I pretty much end everything with 2D with ghosts. XD Run and curse dammit! XD Dog: I fucking suck with the dog... 6P>5D(get closer during neck stretch)>2P>5K>6D>(get a little closer b/c 5K may push em far away at this point)2P>2K>5H>6D>5P2P5K>(run in a little) 6D>2S>6DD. ---Thats the farthest I've gotten in a blockstring before. Though I don't remember if I used any FRC's. Probably did. I was in a panic mode. Try to get your dog behind your opponent. It equals fun when they have to guard two sides and the dog is on them when they try to attack. Raoh: I simply suck with the big man so I pray. Pray that 5S>5H>edguy connect. That or bellows malice. I prefer bellows malice. It just looks cooler.

With sword I usually do this:

Run in>2P>5P>2D>236S>follow-up.

-----------------------if 236S was teched out early and missed and they jump for me::2Hx2>sword DP....and if their like my scrubby friends then swordswipe for good measure because their gonna rush in.

If they block the followup, you're free to get combo'd :/

Run in>6K>5S (both hits)>236(FRC)>Swordswipe (wallbounce)>Swordswipe.

Zappa doesn't have a 6K, and 5S only hits once.

I'll have to try some of the dog stuff, and I totally forgot about that ghost string ><

Naked Zappa (even better with the Dog) has a lot of different options to link together. One of the most effective things to do is throw in random 2HS into the string. The opponent is looking for an opening and they will think they can escape during the start-up. Then they try and they get counter-hit. Also watch the push back, and use 5Sf spit to stagger them and then run back in to continue. Sword combos should always start with 6P, 2S, period. There's too many good options from this that either lead to the BnB air combo or 6HS mix-up. Ghosts 5P all day. It's stupid but it'll get back any ghosts lingering on the screen while keeping your opponent where you want him. And usually as soon as I get the ghosts, I 236D toss. Again, 5P to get them back and repeat (for the most part, you'll need to get creative). Don't ask me about Raoh, I just end up using 5HS DAK all day and max range.

Sorry about that, I wasn't paying very good attention there was I. Those were some things comin' from a guy who uses Zappa after Butterfly boy and Bacon. So, my knowledge of said attack properties is pretty much nothing. XD

Just so you know, Zappa ISN'T about pressure unless he's Raou. Zappa's about mixup. Zappa lacks really really good pressure strings unless he has Raou (even dog isn't good at pressure strings so much as good combos-- the pressure isn't very effective until you setup for an unblockable, while Raou's pressure cranks the guard bar, chugs chip damage, and eats their tension). So while it's good to have good pressure goals to allow yourself room for safe maneuvers, Zappa isn't safe without tension. Naked: 6P/5K rushdown into 2K/c.S (depending on spacing), f.S/2HS (again, spacing). From here you can go for mixup if you have tension, assuming you didn't hit, by using 6HS RC or 5HS FRC. Or, you can reset and rush back in for tick throw or mindgames 5D to bait throw attempts. 2HS and f.S are your best pressure finishers because they give you a lot of room on block and keep the opponent in blockstun for a long time (in f.S second hit's case, you'll have slight frame advantage to boot). Never summon without tension. Forcebreak can sometimes be used for mixup in this scenario. Sword: 5S is a great opener as it helps get counter hits. 6P and 5K are your other counter/mixup pokes, 5D still works as throwbait too. 6HS is ok on block but you always wanna throw out a DP at close range or a swordswipe when your even just a little farther to make some distance and keep them from tossing out a reversal (best if you FRC to bait the reversal and punish with 5S). A good combo/pressure string with the sword is 6P c.S f.S/2S 2HS Swordswipe. 5HS is also a good finisher for it's huge range. Triplets: Obviously the gods of pressure strings and can be about just as effective even if you were just comboing. I'm just going to say refer to the 'unlimited' ghost combo or watch Nang-in to see how to pressure with the triplets. Dog: Do dog combos like they weren't blocking and just go for the unblockable setup whenever you can. Done. Raou: Duh. Anything into Darkness anthem into anything into darkness anthem into anything... Really, just toss in a 5D at some point if spamming Bellows mallice and DA doesn't work. Or tick throw. Again, Zappa's about mixup, not pressure. Don't even both with cranking the guardbar unless you have Raou, there's no point to it.

Honestly I believe the dogs pressure strings is down right nasty. Way better than Roah's. Its full of intense lock down and frame traps. Yes it doesn't do the chip that Raoh does, but Raoh doesn't keep the opponent sitting still as well as the dog does with out meter. Taking advantage of the dogs ability to attack twice in succession is key. In terms if pressure strings and pure lock down I would say that it goes: Dog Stooges Raoh Sword. Besides unblockables you can try to go for the 5HS over head and go in to a 2HS loop as well. Sorry but the dogs pressure is too sick to be undermined, as mixup only. But technically in the end all pressure should go into a mixup at some point anyways.

Honestly I believe the dogs pressure strings is down right nasty. Way better than Roah's. Its full of intense lock down and frame traps. Yes it doesn't do the chip that Raoh does, but Raoh doesn't keep the opponent sitting still as well as the dog does with out meter. Taking advantage of the dogs ability to attack twice in succession is key. In terms if pressure strings and pure lock down I would say that it goes:

Dog

Stooges

Raoh

Sword.

Besides unblockables you can try to go for the 5HS over head and go in to a 2HS loop as well. Sorry but the dogs pressure is too sick to be undermined, as mixup only. But technically in the end all pressure should go into a mixup at some point anyways.

Without a doubt the dog's lockdown and pressure is vicious, but it lacks the tools to really monopolize damage off of cranked bar like Raou. There are two reasons you want to pressure your opponent: Mindgame them into making a mistake, or to basically break through their guard by overwhelming them. And even then it's still all about making them make a mistake so you can get huge damage combos off the cranked bar, but only Raou can really do it. Even the dog's pretty good damage doesn't really get that much better with cranked bar... But I'd have to agree when referring to pure pressure, the Dog takes the cake.

...It's a spambot, not a troll. Seriously, are all of you guys this horribly bad at recognizing when something is not human? You guys would all be the worst Turing judges ever.

...It's a spambot, not a troll. Seriously, are all of you guys this horribly bad at recognizing when something is not human? You guys would all be the worst Turing judges ever.

Of course it's a spambot. And spambots are created by trolls.

It's sad when the only attention the zappa forum gets are spambots and trolls.

sigh

........That was the worst attempt at a recovery I've ever seen. Spambots are created by companies trying to make money. That bot is searching other forums (mainly NeoEmpire, apparently) and copying posts that it considers relevant to the thread title, pasting them here, and hoping we'll follow its PS3 tag or the links in its signature. Trolls are not involved in this process at all.

........That was the worst attempt at a recovery I've ever seen. Spambots are created by companies trying to make money. That bot is searching other forums (mainly NeoEmpire, apparently) and copying posts that it considers relevant to the thread title, pasting them here, and hoping we'll follow its PS3 tag or the links in its signature. Trolls are not involved in this process at all.

Yes, I'm not new to the internet. Doesn't mean he's not trollin'.