Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheRealBobMan

[Help] Issues using OBS to record +R on Steam

Hey, I'm having trouble with OBS not picking up the sidebars in +R when I try to record from Steam.  Example video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frEveoCTJ5o

I've since figured out how to edit the scene settings and quality settings, but I still can't get the side bars to appear.  This let's you see that the background textures aren't perfectly squared off, you can see cornered characters sticking off the edge of the screen, etc.

Someone has to have tried this and run into this issue.  I'm sure I'd eventually figure it out if I keep playing with it, but can anyone help me out and save me some headache?  I don't care about streaming at the moment, I just want to record some stuff.  My side bars are actually drawing in-game, but OBS just isn't picking them up.  That's why this is really confusing.  If I can auto-lock the scene size so that the game play fills the window without the side bars that would be an acceptable work around, but I can't get that to work well either since the game is outputting widescreen.

While I don't have +R on Steam, I have done quite a bit of streaming with OBS and may be able to help. Since every different game seems to act differently, you'll have to experiment to see what you can get to work. You might have dramatically different results based on what OS you're using too.

I'll try to list a bunch of things you can try that may help:

- First try running OBS as Administrator to see if that helps (Right click OBS shortcut or exe/program and select "Run as Administrator").
- On Win7 I tend to have the most success with "Source: Add -> Window Capture" properly picking up a game. If that doesn't seem to be working you can also experiment with Game Capture. I tend to avoid using Monitor Capture, but use whatever works. If one capture type doesn't capture everything properly, try to see if another capture type does.
- Toggling Windows Aero on/off will affect how OBS captures stuff with the above sources (Window Capture, Game Capture, etc), and will affect whether or not windows ontop of the application you're trying to capture will be captured or ignored. Sometimes games will be really picky and OBS will only pick them up with a certain source capture type, and with Windows Aero set to on or off. Make sure to experiment!
- Sometimes changing the ingame resolution of a game while running will give incorrect binding boxes for the Edit Scene button in the Preview Window. Try to set the game up in the correct final resolution you want to use, then reopen it so it launches with the correct resolution/size to make sure you have correct binding boxes.

Good luck with getting it to work!

You could try NVidia Share (formerly known as NVidia Shadowplay) to record gameplay, I've been having issues with OBS Studio where as I never had a single problem with the older versions of OBS.