Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alecmerkel

Intermediate Millia Strategies

Beginer Millia Talk thread I started last year: 

First of all I would like to thank anyone that has posted and advice or tips on this board. It great to see everyone sharing and being helpful. Since than I would like to say that I can do all combos with her and have no execution problems besides secret garden and the GroundGrab>5k>jK>jS>jD>IAD>jS>2HS.  I've only been able to see people do that combo on the fightstick without having to RC the grab. Can anyone confirm if this is only a fightstick combo? I cannot do it on the pad for the life of me.

Right now I'm having lots of problems applying pressure to create openings. I see a lot of top players get in to the BnB by starting it of with 2K (ex:DASH 2K>2S>2HS>ECT...) I did notice that this does ruin the dmg on the combo. Also, I can do this set up in practice but every time I try on a player I get thrown. Heck lets just say that I get thrown a lot..... it sucks. 

Also my OKI is just bad, both neutral OKI and Corner OKI. My corner OKI is never meaty enough, and 7 times out of ten I get hit out of my 236HS set up. This happens even more midscreen.

Also when you Catch people with the DUST COMBO (DUST AIR jD>jD>jS>jD>IAD>jS>jHS.) 

I've  notice I don't have time to throw a disk, they usualy just mash out. I've had limited success with YRC > DASH 2s>combo ECT

Anyways, like always thanks in advance. Sorry for all the question! Hopefully someday I can go to EVO right? lol

1) The throw combo is character-specific, I don't remember on who.

2) 2K is fast and low profiles a lot of stuff so it's more useful in neutral that it seems to be.

3) For Oki first you have to search for ways to make them respect: Bait DPs, mash and throws, there are different ways. Obviously some of them change if you're in the corner. Backdash or just block low are common ones.

4) The dust combos with Millia are very restricted if you want the knockdown for 236H, I recomend you to do this one: 5D > [9] > j.DD > IAD > j.PH. This guarantees a 236H setup.

ill try one at a time (this is IMO) check the red text

5 hours ago, alecmerkel said:

Beginer Millia Talk thread I started last year: 

First of all I would like to thank anyone that has posted and advice or tips on this board. It great to see everyone sharing and being helpful. Since than I would like to say that I can do all combos with her and have no execution problems besides secret garden and the GroundGrab>5k>jK>jS>jD>IAD>jS>2HS.  I've only been able to see people do that combo on the fightstick without having to RC the grab. Can anyone confirm if this is only a fightstick combo? I cannot do it on the pad for the life of me.

This throw combo only works on faust and nobody else

Right now I'm having lots of problems applying pressure to create openings. I see a lot of top players get in to the BnB by starting it of with 2K (ex:DASH 2K>2S>2HS>ECT...) I did notice that this does ruin the dmg on the combo. Also, I can do this set up in practice but every time I try on a player I get thrown. Heck lets just say that I get thrown a lot..... it sucks. 

2k is burst safe so that is why lots of people opt for it. if you getting throw for it then hang back and watch them whiff a button and then you can punish them

Also my OKI is just bad, both neutral OKI and Corner OKI. My corner OKI is never meaty enough, and 7 times out of ten I get hit out of my 236HS set up. This happens even more midscreen.

The 236H will never hit meaty after a jh knockdown, throw knockdown, or sweep knockdown. I would watch Millia's like Woshige and Nakamura to see what they do and learn from them

Also when you Catch people with the DUST COMBO (DUST AIR jD>jD>jS>jD>IAD>jS>jHS.) 

I've  notice I don't have time to throw a disk, they usualy just mash out. I've had limited success with YRC > DASH 2s>combo ECT

This depends on the character and the wake up they have, as well as DP's and what not

Anyways, like always thanks in advance. Sorry for all the question! Hopefully someday I can go to EVO right? lol

Anything else just ask me

On 1/6/2016 at 2:31 PM, alecmerkel said:

Getting optimal combo starters (2S x Disc, 2S 2H, j.S into a ground confirm and full launcher series, etc) require extra effort and generally have a limited confirm window.  2K is an excellent and versatile combo starter, hitting low and being chainable into itself, which is why it has additional damage proration.

If you are getting thrown for trying this, you're getting too close or otherwise approaching without any cover.  If you're dashing in, you could get damaged much worse than just getting thrown for your efforts.  The short story is that you need to generate scenarios where your opponent can't mash or can't say with certainty what you're going to approach with.  If we take the scenario where you're dashing in and getting thrown, hypothetically your other options are to stop at sweep range and punish their whiffed 5H throw whiff input with your 2D, or stop at 2S range and stuff their button preemptively.

It's probably easiest to judge this with video, but if you're getting hit out of disc you're dashing too far forward or starting your disc too late.  Not every setup will let you meaty with whatever you want.  If you're having trouble making your setup meaty, start with just doing meaty 2K.  Meaty oki is more difficult midscreen, certain setups will require you to YRC in order to meaty your opponent.  Again, this is easiest to judge with a video or an exact situation to dissect.

Generally, anything more than Dust > j.DD dj.IAD-SH is going to result in a potential air tech or be character specific.  The damage gain is pretty insignificant compared to getting your best oki, so I would tell you to always go for the combo I just mentioned (both midscreen and corner) unless you need the combo to kill.  You can also learn more optimal corner variations such as j.DDDH(3), but it's not as important for your game as learning other things right now.

You didn't mention the Pin at all, but it's your most threatening neutral tool.  If you're pressuring your opponent and recognize that after 2K 2S you're not hitting your opponent, you can jump (or j.IAD) cancel your 2S.  This sets up a mixup where you can jump straight up and then either land and go low, throw the pin and dash up for a confirm or additional pressure, air dash in with j.S, j.KS, j.S x Pin, empty airdash throw, airdash j.K > tick throw, etc.  The important idea is that your opponent can't respond to each situation in the same way, so they have to start making decisions, and that's where you create your openings.  The fact that you mentioned that you often get thrown tells me your approaches are haphazard.  Your opponents should be scared to throw you because they should be concerned with getting hit by your 2D or counterhit by Pin, or counterhit by your 2S, etc. 

I've been getting better with spacing. I've had more success lately with DASH 2k>2s/5s>2HS ect

I continue to get punished hard when i attempt to 2S. I also have great success even against better players DASH> dust, just the dust combo I use leaves me no OKI.. I'm sorry for this question because we would assume that I would know notation by know, but what inputs are j.PH (jump PandHardslash??)or j.KS (j.Kickslash???) Are those option select inputs?

37 minutes ago, alecmerkel said:

I've been getting better with spacing. I've had more success lately with DASH 2k>2s/5s>2HS ect

I continue to get punished hard when i attempt to 2S. I also have great success even against better players DASH> dust, just the dust combo I use leaves me no OKI.. I'm sorry for this question because we would assume that I would know notation by know, but what inputs are j.PH (jump PandHardslash??)or j.KS (j.Kickslash???) Are those option select inputs?

It's just the button sequence.  Do j.P followed by chaining into j.H, j.K followed by chaining into j.S.  j.DDSD IAD j.SH or whatever notation you want to use is considerably less verbose than typing out j.D j.D j.S j.D dj. IADF j.S j.H, etc.  And as I mentioned in my previous post, switch to using j.DD dj. IADF j.SH for your vertical dust combo, unless it's your forward dust combo you're having trouble with?

Well I rarely use the forward dust ever. But I have messed around with it.

I've tried in the corner mostly, DUST>6>6HS(1)>236S(Wallbounce)>5k>j.K>j.S>j.D>IAD>j.SH

It works sometimes, but many times the opponent ends up behind me after 236S.... Really annoying actually.

I feel like this is the best place to ask this but does anyone have a list of throw combos? And hopefully execution tips? 

I know about throw 5S 236S jksd iad jsh for Sol, Axl, and Millia. That isn't hard but requires corner and is very specific. Same with throw 5k jksd iad jsh. I can only get that consistently on faust. And even then the jS after IAD whiffs a lot...

The throw 5k jk iad jkph combo is currently beyond me. Any tips on execution? Currently, I'm having trouble landing the first jK low enough so that it doesn't whiff.

I guess 2nd question: What do you guys do after using S disc YRC as a sub for H disc? ATM after doing S disc, my current mixup is TKBM or 2S xx stuff. Is there an overhead option that nets me damage and a 236H setup? Cause so far all TKBM gets me just the setup (don't get me wrong, that's effing fantastic, but I wanna know if I can get more).

My execution is horrible so I only do them on Faust (5K j.KSD IAD j.PH(1) fastfall) and Potemkin (5K j.KSD IAD j.KPH(1) fastfall), both can be done in midscreen too.

sdisc yrc isn't really a substitute for hdisc, it's more a way to force them into blocking a meaty and being able to confirm if they blocked/got hit/mashed/reversaled. so you dont get usual hdisc setups. midscreen it's best imo to mixup between throw and low/anti jumpout. you usually dont get anything from 6k and tkbm is risky but you can throw it out once in a while. in the corner you can do the usual 2s/6k into sdisc to confirm, or go for throws as well.

if you want to practice j.k iad j.k throw combos, start with this one on faust:

throw 5k j.kpk iad j.ksh land 5k j.ksd iad j.ph fastfall

this will give you more time between launching with 5k and having to do j.k iad j.k

i can't really give you a tip for executing it, you have to get a feel for it. try buffering the iad asap before the j.k actually hits (hard to describe).

16 hours ago, Skyy said:

I feel like this is the best place to ask this but does anyone have a list of throw combos? And hopefully execution tips? 

I know about throw 5S 236S jksd iad jsh for Sol, Axl, and Millia. That isn't hard but requires corner and is very specific. Same with throw 5k jksd iad jsh. I can only get that consistently on faust. And even then the jS after IAD whiffs a lot...

The throw 5k jk iad jkph combo is currently beyond me. Any tips on execution? Currently, I'm having trouble landing the first jK low enough so that it doesn't whiff.

I guess 2nd question: What do you guys do after using S disc YRC as a sub for H disc? ATM after doing S disc, my current mixup is TKBM or 2S xx stuff. Is there an overhead option that nets me damage and a 236H setup? Cause so far all TKBM gets me just the setup (don't get me wrong, that's effing fantastic, but I wanna know if I can get more).

Throw combos are here: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s330/sh/cc9f800a-b787-47a5-8189-2ee0e2d723e9/889cec84af02baf856d16461e23b1b84

To do 5K > JK iad JKPH, I suggest you try to get 5K as early as possible, and then buffer the IAD after you hit JK. This combo is very possible, I do it in tournaments! I think, at the least, you should get throw combos on Faust, Pot, Millia, Axl, Sol, Slayer, and Elphelt. Those characters are the easiest imo.

After S Disc I don't necessarily do a mixup (unless it's in the corner), but as other's have said, you can't really do the same kind of thing as H disc - consider it a safe way to set up pressure.

On 1/29/2016 at 7:17 AM, Lord Knight said:

This combo is very possible, I do it in tournaments!

I think it's safe to say you're a lot better at it than I am!

Ty for the help, will definitely be putting in lab time.

On 1/31/2016 at 2:15 AM, Skyy said:

I think it's safe to say you're a lot better at it than I am!

Ty for the help, will definitely be putting in lab time.

I dunno if this will helps for you, but i had the same issue with these throw combos like 5K > JK iad JKPH. I was doing it like (5K) then hold my stick to (9) and press k as soon as i saw the jump and then do IAD etc. which was totally tigh but possible. (So i don't recommend practise this! xD)

It takes a while until i realize (and it makes click in my head) you have to buffer the jump, the buffer for these throw combos feels more like an JumpCancel or Jump Install. So throw > 5K > JumpCancel > jk > JumpCancel > IAD > JKPH. 

After i got this, the throw combo was much easier ^-^