Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bloo561

Dustloop Rankings

Hey guys, during the reformation of Dustloop last year I made a suggestion to make a dustloop ranking system of sorts. After thinking about for a while I thought I can rebring up the idea when the website is fully formatted and see if there is a interest in that kind of thing below. Below will be two images of a "idea" of a ranking system. I always thought that if we make a system like this it will give motivation and competition to forums and the communities inside them. Any thoughts or suggestions for this would mean a lot cause even though I'm not a staff member of Dustloop I feel the community as a whole would greatly benefit with this type of system.

part 11.pngpart 2.png

I'm not sure exactly what having a ranking system would do for the community (besides breeding competition and possibly bias, and it's hard to say if that would be beneficial or detrimental to DL in the long run given past experiences such as the award system): but now that you bring it up I do think we should start posting more tournament results on the forum.   

5 hours ago, Frost Monarch said:

I'm not sure exactly what having a ranking system would do for the community (besides breeding competition and possibly bias, and it's hard to say if that would be beneficial or detrimental to DL in the long run given past experiences such as the award system): but now that you bring it up I do think we should start posting more tournament results on the forum.   

That's exactly why a ranking system would be beneficial. It's hard to be bias with results and with us growing as a community and having more events from anime only tournaments to the massive growth in net play tournaments we have a chance to grow.

A ranking sheet comes with all sorts of fundamental flaws.

Based on tournament results: What if better players don't/can't come out to as many tourneys as a lower-skilled player?

Based on community feedback: Incredibly subjective and vulnerable to clique-based influence.

No matter what way it's done, people are going to argue with their preconceived biases. Personally, I don't see what a ranking system will do other than start fights and give people humorous shit to quote on social media. I mean, that sample ranking's BB ranking... that's just asking for flames so bright. Oh so, so bright.

E peens will be longer than the Empire State Building. Ordinary humans with the power to play blazblue will become Gods, their word "absolute". Wars, countless arrows shot between members.

but this has been said twice already. Tournament results? Yay. Rankings? Nay.

An' if y'all think e-peens are the the worst repercussion this plan has to offer, none of you are considering the egos already in play.

I'd like to believe such a system could work, however I don't think such a thing would operate without anything short of... anarchy. If such a thing were implemented haphazardly, I predict that the backlash would probably be legendary.

I think the idea of it has some elements of fun and usefulness. I enjoy the notion of a workable ranking system that would spur friendly competition and perhaps usher in further discourse within the community. Due to the climate of our FGC as I understand it, I think achieving those ends by introducing a system like this would require a great measure of careful thought and focused public discussion.

Everyone should begin by asking themselves "How could such a system be engineered to be helpful?" and "What hazards could arise from this that could be avoided?" within the context of our greater FGC.

9 hours ago, Chaoschao222 said:

Based on tournament results: What if better players don't/can't come out to as many tourneys as a lower-skilled player?

Based on community feedback: Incredibly subjective and vulnerable to clique-based influence.

No matter what way it's done, people are going to argue with their preconceived biases. Personally, I don't see what a ranking system will do other than start fights and give people humorous shit to quote on social media. I mean, that sample ranking's BB ranking... that's just asking for flames so bright. Oh so, so bright.

I believe you have misunderstood the purpose of the ranking/tournament. When you said "What if better players don't/can't come out to as many tourneys as a lower-skilled player?", it sounds like the point of the system is to fairly rank every single player in the community, but that's just not feasible for many reasons, no. The point is simply to rank players based on their tournament results. Where is the bias in someone legitimately winning and placing high in tournaments?

I dont think the american community lacks competitivity, but it can be improved and taken to the next level with a system that rewards and motivates even more the players for participating in tournaments. It's not a bad idea if it brings something positive.

3 hours ago, Tong said:

Where is the bias in someone legitimately winning and placing high in tournaments?

Look at the SRK system. There is an inherent flaw by using tournament results if a player isn't able to attend many tournaments. Few people would argue Nakkiel isn't one of America's best current BB players, but he's 27th on the (international) list simply because he's only entered 3 SRK-recognized tournaments.

3 hours ago, Chaoschao222 said:

Look at the SRK system. There is an inherent flaw by using tournament results if a player isn't able to attend many tournaments. Few people would argue Nakkiel isn't one of America's best current BB players, but he's 27th on the (international) list simply because he's only entered 3 SRK-recognized tournaments.

I believe something on a smaller scale is being proposed here, where it's easier and more feasible to minimize or eliminate these flaws. I dont think SRK's system is even compatible with what's trying to be achieved here, in fact, you can create and elaborate a system to suit any of your needs, but that's way beyond the point for now.

It all comes down to 2 things: 1- Will it be beneficial to the community (or DL)? 2- (if "Yes" is the answer for question #1) How to make it work properly?

There is two solutions to ranking system that could be used.

Solution 1: Make a 1v1 ranking system silimar to how most in-game systems do where you have to fight someone higher than you to rank up and to move out of ranking group/dan. Best example is any arc sys game or tekken ranking system.

Solution 2 :  Make a system where it will calculate a player's best performances given a certain time period. Meaning that players that go to more tournaments have the same oppounity as players who go to fewer. The best example to this is http://smashboards.com/rankings/

The only real problem I can see being born from this is that yea, its going to lead to bias and a lot of shit flinging.

I also doubt i'd have the time to run/update something like this... i can barely keep up with what we got right now

I see everybody's point and accept that maybe at the moment a ranking system is bad idea. Do hope it can be established someday. Sorry if I gave anybody trouble and thanks for listening to some dude who really cares about the scene.