Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BassCannonKaplan

Why do you play BlazBlue?

This is an interesting topic that I thought I'd bring up. I see so many people playing SSBM or Street Fighter nowadays as the only fighting games that they play. So, I was wondering why you've been dedicated to BB for so long? Is BB a side game for you or is it the only fighting game that you play and why? Its not at EVO anymore and its falling from popularity... Don't get me wrong, I really like BlazBlue... but why pick it over other fighting games?

Why do I play it...? C'mon TC, does this really need to be a question, lol. :v:

Usually for some people, they play it either for the story, or they play it and like it. :kitty:

Story, music, feel, characters, flow of the gameplay, the fact that I've poured this much time into it already and see no reason to stop now, etc.

Take your pick. In a very short time I became a rather hardcore BB fanboy. 

I still play whatever fighting game happens to be around, like Tekken, Dead or Alive (I'm not proud of this one), Street Fighter and GG among others but I'd be completely satisfied with BB if it were the only option. (I think I'm beginning to annoy my friends though, because I'm always so eager to play BB and typically merciless when I play my mains against them.)

It just plain felt better than every other game I was experimenting with.  And now I've got way too much time invested to switch unless they do something super dumb.

My favorite part of your post is the implication that BB players play nothing but BB or that you pick it "over other fighting games."  But I'll answer anyway.

To me BB is a natural evolution of GG in terms of system.  The way I see it is that BB took GG's game mechanics and improved them in every way possible to make something that I actually enjoy.  There's also a bit of other games in there, you could very easily make out inspiration from Marvel, VSav, etc which are all great games in their own right.  This combined creates a system that to me is my favorite of any fighting game.  You have a ton of options but they are all very controlled and it all meshes together to create something very tight and organized but also encourages freedom of the player.  There are shit characters but the balance in CPE is pretty lenient that allows you to do well with most of the cast relative to how much work you're putting in.  

When I played games like GG, I appreciated the system for being unique but I found it to be extremely tedious and not to my liking.  So when BB came out and did the same system in a new way, I gave it a try,and in terms of pure system I feel it's gotten better with every installment.  YMMV on characters though, I know I definitely don't like CPE Relius as much as CP 1.1.  

Or if that couple of paragraphs offended your sensibilities in some way, how about this answer.  I play it for the same reason I play 99% of the video games I play, because I enjoy it more than I do others.  

Well I disagree with Poultrygeist about BB's system being a evolution (Its the complete opposite IMHO), I love both games, I just prefer GG in every way.

But BB's story and the way the characters' stories are intertwined with each other is an absolute masterpiece, along with each character's drive being extremely unique, it is downright fun to play, It doesn't matter if it isn't in EVO I am pretty sure the fanbase will live on just like SF3, MVC2 and DS3

Yea, I don't really agree BB improves on GG's system, rather it simplifies them...but eh, I guess that would count as an improvement in certain ways.

Anyway, I play BB because I like its system mechanics (even if team blue have no idea how to properly balance it) and character archetypes. Also, the characters are a big reason as well, I find all of them unique in their own way. 

That said, I really do wish some things were better handled; sometimes I feel like I'm playing a bind man's game lol.

5 hours ago, Arcus Diabolus said:

Story, music, feel, characters, flow of the gameplay, the fact that I've poured this much time into it already and see no reason to stop now, etc.

Take your pick. In a very short time I became a rather hardcore BB fanboy. 

I still play whatever fighting game happens to be around, like Tekken, Dead or Alive (I'm not proud of this one), Street Fighter and GG among others but I'd be completely satisfied with BB if it were the only option. (I think I'm beginning to annoy my friends though, because I'm always so eager to play BB and typically merciless when I play my mains against them.)

The struggle is real. I've rarely managed to get my friends to play BB after they cut the Special buttons from CT. That and I kinda learned to play well enough to beat some casuals.

But moving on to the point of the topic, It's easier for me to explain what I don't like about BB. Seriously, The gameplay is really good, every character looks and feels unique, the game has a lot of depth and as much as I get dizzy with this plot sometimes, i freaking love it.

Too bad that the CP hitstop kinda scares away new players, and I wouldn't count out Central Fiction from next Evo, especially if it gets a Console Release near December or January.

@ViolaSorel @BlackYakuzu94 I understand, that's why I very deliberately chose to clarify that it was an improvement to me instead of using objective language.  My logic behind this is that I feel like GG just throws you a bunch of tools and ties them to the same meter to balance them, which I dislike.  In comparison BB ties its modified version of FD to its own meter, and the throw system eliminates the need for throw OS.  Improvement is subjective though so that may not be better to you, but it is to me.  And that's the only person I can speak for.

15 minutes ago, Volt said:

The struggle is real. I've rarely managed to get my friends to play BB after they cut the Special buttons from CT. That and I kinda learned to play well enough to beat some casuals.

But moving on to the point of the topic, It's easier for me to explain what I don't like about BB. Seriously, The gameplay is really good, every character looks and feels unique, the game has a lot of depth and as much as I get dizzy with this plot sometimes, i freaking love it.

Too bad that the CP hitstop kinda scares away new players, and I wouldn't count out Central Fiction from next Evo, especially if it gets a Console Release near December or January.

We talking about what we dislike too?  Alright, I'll be fair.  I wish they didn't feel the need to update the game so often just to add in more story.  I don't dislike the story but it's not the main draw to me at all so I feel like a second class citizen when I have to buy a new disc just for more features I don't really care about.  I don't really understand why they can't patch new characters/balance into the console version.  That's exactly what Capcom did with both AE and Ultra.  And of course it's frustrating when you have certain characters that are just naturally always powerful because of how well they mesh with the system or to be blunt good god am I tired of playing guessing games every time Valk knocks me down.

The characters and gameplay mostly, then the story. Just dedicated way too much time learning this game and my mains that it's just kinda stuck around, don't think there'll be any other fighting game like it, for me at least. Playing it just feels incredibly, I dunno, comfortable? Like I'm a big fighting game junkie, started out and got really invested in Tekken, but then Blazblue came out and almost totally replaced it in terms of relevancy.

tl;dr i'm just really attached to this game in general, even if the story gives me massive headaches sometimes.

19 minutes ago, epikku attaku said:

as of the moment, bbcpex is my 2nd favorite fighter, behind ah3lm. and its rather pointless trying to explain why.

I got a better question. why play sf? or any fighting game in general.

Simple, well at least to me who has played fighting games for most of my life.

To me it sparks the interest of my competitive nature, from Sf2 to BBCPEX the fact remains that playing with another player is always the funnest thing about any fighting game. Its a contest of skill. smarts and reflexes among other things, to me nothing well ever match the feeling of fighting someone around the same skill level and going back and forth with them over and over.

Why play SF?  Well first of all, every SF game is different.  It may be the same series but each sub series has its own system and style.  As for why play it, because it's a very different experience from BB and GG.  It's more slow and deliberate, and its neutral is far more reactionary.  On paper that may sound boring but it has many advantages.  That, and without SF none of this would exist at all.

21 minutes ago, Poultrygeist said:

Why play SF?  Well first of all, every SF game is different.  It may be the same series but each sub series has its own system and style.  As for why play it, because it's a very different experience from BB and GG.  It's more slow and deliberate, and its neutral is far more reactionary.  On paper that may sound boring but it has many advantages.  That, and without SF none of this would exist at all.

Honestly most SF players I know have a strong neutral game , as well having a tendency to rely on their normals, which translated well to GG and BB.

23 minutes ago, ViolaSorel said:

Honestly most SF players I know have a strong neutral game , as well having a tendency to rely on their normals, which translated well to GG and BB.

I feel like someone who's good at SF will have an easier time adjusting to any fighter than if they just jump into it raw.  After all, SF is pretty much the building blocks of the genre as we know it.  

This was my first anime fighter.

I play for the characters, story, and making new friends. Contrary to my salt/frustration that bubbles up at times, I really do appreciate most of the people I fight.

Azrael keeps me playing BB.  I've played since CT but I was kind of lukewarm towards every game after it, until CP.  Azrael has a much more tolerable combo duration and just the pure fun factor that I was looking for.

3 hours ago, Effenhoog said:

Azrael keeps me playing BB.  I've played since CT but I was kind of lukewarm towards every game after it, until CP.  Azrael has a much more tolerable combo duration and just the pure fun factor that I was looking for.

Azrael is definitely one of the best things to happen to BB, there's really nobody like him in the series.  He's shaping up to be very good (again!) in CF too.

1 hour ago, Poultrygeist said:

Azrael is definitely one of the best things to happen to BB, there's really nobody like him in the series.  He's shaping up to be very good (again!) in CF too.

I don't really get what the big deal is about this guy.  But that second clause is true for pretty much the whole cast. Except Nu/Lambda. x.x

25 minutes ago, Airk said:

I don't really get what the big deal is about this guy.  But that second clause is true for pretty much the whole cast. Except Nu/Lambda. x.x

I agree with that, can't wait till CF comes out, definitely maining Izanami

17 hours ago, epikku attaku said:

as of the moment, bbcpex is my 2nd favorite fighter, behind ah3lm. and its rather pointless trying to explain why.

I got a better question. why play sf? or any fighting game in general.

SF is fighting games right down to their most basic elements, there's a lot less emphasis on combos than in BB or GG and its more about simply outplaying your opponent in neutral and offense. Every fighting game really offers something different, Marvel players have to pretty play do or die and get the proper setup for a touch of death combo, so neutral is extremely important there as well as managing your assists. I'm not too familiar with NRS games, but I imagine Mortal Kombat has similar mechanics.

1 hour ago, Airk said:

Muscled badass goes around steam-rolling the entire cast with nothing but his bare hands and laughs like a maniac while doing it. Add the fact that he's Asura in Japanese and Wesker in English, and there's no reason to not love Azrael. It also helps that he's been consistently good since his debut unlike the other CP newcomers :V

1 hour ago, Airk said:

He's hilarious.  He's a big character who actually doesn't struggle which is rare for this type of game, and the way he just completely oppresses everyone once he establishes himself is just amazing.  Not to mention he's extremely satisfying to play because of how hard he hits and because of those extremely loud bone crunching sound fx.  He is the gorilla dream.