Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Myoro

BBCF Izanami General

BBCF_Header_General_Discussion.png

Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to the Izanami General Thread!

Let's begin by posting the info we've collected thus far on the character!

I'm still not too sure. Do all her moves count as overhead when she's floating? I saw a video showing her version of wolf break, so I wondered if that's not the case.

40 minutes ago, spesialo said:

I'm still not too sure. Do all her moves count as overhead when she's floating? I saw a video showing her version of wolf break, so I wondered if that's not the case.

Not every move. Her projectiles act normal, its just some of their trajectories (2D) change based on floating or not.

Her normals and specials are harder to tell since most people only float to extend a confirm or to troll a Tager (you're asking for an anti-air if you try to approach in striking distance at neutral).

Ground-to-Float

For me, the float seems to keep the properties of her normals, it just lets you use them at other heights other than the floor itself. I need hands on to actually tinker with things to see if any subtle properties change in float vs their ground version. 

The teleport low attack (I call it Death Dipper since its like Ky's Stun Dipper) actually removes her from float and tracks to opponents on the ground so that one definitely doesn't become an overehead.

Sorry I dont know about all her other moves though.

Maybe someone else will know for sure how her other normals change in float.

Im pretty sure none of her normal move on float is an overhead. She does have a standing overhead where she can combo for free on it. 

Float mode looks like a way to extend pressure, a combo tool and a mixup tool when shes falls from the air to the ground. 

We could guess its also foot invul, which could lead to some baits in a near future. All around she looks like a pretty decent character so far. Not too weak nor OP. My only concern is her timestop DD. It looks too strong as it is. It's like an underpowered version of the old black hole

Well I got to say I'm loving Izanami so far, i'll definitely main her but to be honest I doubt she'll be a popular character. She feels like that one character everyone will try to sub, then give up after a few weeks. As an izayoi main she looks amazing to me, even though im pretty sure those floating normals aren't overheads, but her style just calls out to me, I definitely plan on switching out Izayoi for Izanami.

Just to confirm the following for ribcage:

blocks some distortions like carnage scissors. Lose to yukikaze.

blocks EA.

Has hitstop similar to GP?

2 hours ago, Davo87 said:

Just to confirm the following for ribcage:

blocks some distortions like carnage scissors. Lose to yukikaze.

blocks EA.

Has hitstop similar to GP?

The hitstop - GP relation is understandable, but come on, Yukihaze is an unblockable move!

4 hours ago, Axiomatic said:

Not every move. Her projectiles act normal, its just some of their trajectories (2D) change based on floating or not.

Her normals and specials are harder to tell since most people only float to extend a confirm or to troll a Tager (you're asking for an anti-air if you try to approach in striking distance at neutral).

Ground-to-Float

For me, the float seems to keep the properties of her normals, it just lets you use them at other heights other than the floor itself. I need hands on to actually tinker with things to see if any subtle properties change in float vs their ground version. 

The teleport low attack (I call it Death Dipper since its like Ky's Stun Dipper) actually removes her from float and tracks to opponents on the ground so that one definitely doesn't become an overehead.

Sorry I dont know about all her other moves though.

Maybe someone else will know for sure how her other normals change in float.

The GtoF doesn't keep all the normals' properties tho, low ones hit mid during Float.

4 hours ago, ViolaSorel said:

Well I got to say I'm loving Izanami so far, i'll definitely main her but to be honest I doubt she'll be a popular character. She feels like that one character everyone will try to sub, then give up after a few weeks. As an izayoi main she looks amazing to me, even though im pretty sure those floating normals aren't overheads, but her style just calls out to me, I definitely plan on switching out Izayoi for Izanami.

I'm definitely going to sub her, she looks amazing, and I don't give up on learning a character that easily... Maybe main her depending on how she feels, but I'm thinking Mu just looks like too much fun to stop maining her. I'm way too excited to learn more about her, can't wait to find out about console release... 

I said I was gonna play her once she was released and I won't go back on my word, even though her battle design is a mess. 

Does the float have start-up frames or can you float immediately/while executing other moves?

1 hour ago, LeonD said:

The hitstop - GP relation is understandable, but come on, Yukihaze is an unblockable move!

Guard point works on unblockables in BBCF such as Makoto's UB punch. But ofcos not Yukikaze.

1 hour ago, LeonD said:

The GtoF doesn't keep all the normals' properties tho, low ones hit mid during Float.

Its obvious GtoF normal based lows are going to hit mid during float otherwise it will break the game. 

1 hour ago, Moy_X7 said:

I said I was gonna play her once she was released and I won't go back on my word, even though her battle design is a mess. 

Does the float have start-up frames or can you float immediately/while executing other moves?

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one move that has a jump into float cancel. Can't verify until I get home though. I'm thinking any jump cancellable move is also float cancellable to keep up the pressure. 

21 minutes ago, Axiomatic said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one move that has a jump into float cancel. Can't verify until I get home though. I'm thinking any jump cancellable move is also float cancellable to keep up the pressure. 

Ya, it looks like she has an anti air (not sure what move, looks like she does like a backflip kick thing that I've seen people cancel into float and combo off of it).

11 minutes ago, Deadman9917 said:

Ya, it looks like she has an anti air (not sure what move, looks like she does like a backflip kick thing that I've seen people cancel into float and combo off of it).

If you are referring to her upward kick that puts her a bit in the air (not a backflip), that's her 6A.

Based from Kiryu and Sugi's video, Izanami can choose to jump cancel from 5C or 6A>float: 

6A (rising kick)>f.5B>f.5C>f.3C>JC> falling j.C: example.

If you jump cancel on 5C you can do f.5B>f.5C> fall>5B>5C twice but looks strict. Or getting a Fatal Counter 2C>5C>f.5C>falling j.C>5C loop corner carry.

If the opponent is ground bound say after FC 214A, 214B, its 5C>6A float combos.

For corner: 5C>6CC (groundslam) >214A>5C>2C>fireball. 

1 hour ago, Chaoschao222 said:

If you are referring to her upward kick that puts her a bit in the air (not a backflip), that's her 6A.

ya, that one. I just said that because it looked like a backflip to me (based on the few videos I've seen of her so far). Either way, it look like she can canel that into float (I can't really tell if there's a jump cancel first or not)

Well, we can´t really say much about her being hard, as there is a serious lack of represantable footage so far.

My guess would be, that she might be easy to pick up, but her setups and barrier management will need some work.

Her neutral game is a bit weird, but I'm still getting used to it. Her combos themselves are easy, but neutral and pressure are sorta tough. Her normals have way too much recovery on them to just use on their own, really need to cover yourself with float/mode change when you can. Floaty jump is something that takes getting used to as well, but I suppose the idea is to jump>float>airdash kinda low if you want out of the corner or something.

On 2/4/2016 at 8:47 AM, MaximusMurkimus said:

So overall, would you guys say is she a intermediate/expert level character?

Will probably go free/Stylish mode with her most of the time until I get comfy.

I haven't had hands on with her, so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

What -Seo  (who does have hands on experience) brought up definitely rings true from the matches I've seen. I've seen Izanami's struggle against Tager of all people because of those recovery gaps in her moves during combos that leave her open to a command grab. I think part of it stems from the fact she is a more "Jack-of-trades" type that has zoning and normal options but she lacks dedicated pressure right now. I definitely feel she has great spacing and footsie potential because of these options though, but I need frame data to see what is useful for poking, whats worthwhile for combo filler, etc since footage only carries you so far.

Our notions of intermediate level and expert level characters may differ MaximusMurkimus, but I would quantify her as a intermediate level character. The only characters in Arc Sys games I consider expert level are competitive Slayer with his FDCs/BDCs and bite loops, Accent Core era I-No, and Carl cause of coordination execution (Tao too if you're playing her like she is supposed to play). If you struggle with links or resets then you can increase such a list.

In terms of execution, she doesn't appear to be any worse than the majority of the cast (she ain't Carl or Tao), but she certainly isn't braindead like Terumi or Ragna. I have to agree with Juraya in that she definitely seems like someone you could just pick up and not have to dedicate yourself to (:AM: good luck trying to sub this guy). Just how crucial her meter management is for setups and pressure ("Susanoo" eats A LOT of barrier for what you get) will definitely evolve with time. But the sheer fact she has meter to manage for systems steps her up from others like Ragna,Terumi, Noel, etc. 

Izanami definitely strikes me as Team Blue's attempt to recycle the idea of CP 1.0 and 1.1 Nu and P4Us Aigis with her mode change between a offensive groove (Izanami has a mode where she can't block!) and a "defensive" (seems more like a conservative mode than defensive mode imo) groove that allows for blocking but only some follow ups to certain normals. Where Izanami shines is all the options she has to use like "Susanoo" to sacrifice future barrier that you would normally want for defense for temporary offensive pressure or playing at a distance with her ranged specials or  in addition to her two modes. What we have yet to see is just what options are actually viable competitively; I'll tell you for free the 100  meter time stop is way too gimmicky for conventional use (I do have some thoughts of its viability on fatal hits leading into float to  buy enough time for the start up but alas It'll be months before I can put time in the lab). It may very well turn out that the best way to play her is to use Izanami like any other character and just capitalize on float mechanics.

Her neutral seems to lose out to the Murakumos and Litchi while her up close pressure fails to match up to the likes of Azrael or Ragna. Izanami doesn't have mobility like Valk or Tao either. I guess what I'm trying to say is she doesn't appear to excel in any one particular area. Like, if I pick up Kagura in CPEX, I know I have some problems but I hit like a truck with a spiked bumper though. Thats partly why I think of her as an intermediate level character; she doesn't have a predefined niche like others do. By extension, thats why I think I see her struggle against people with a niche, like Tager who may not have as big of a toolbox but the tools he does have he uses very well. This is in contrast with a character like Nine who has gdlk range who we all saw had a very clear and definitive playstyle. I'd hate to see her turnout like Naoto who had promise but is missing the special sauce that would let him be competitive in this game.

In summation, Izanami appears very versatile like a Swiss Army Knife, but just like one of those knives, you may never use the dedicated fish scaler (read: Za Warudo). Sometimes you just need something sharp or straight to the point like your normals, but the minisaw or other features can definitely help you out in certain circumstances. Finding whats useful and whats not is all part of the game though! Just give it a few months for people to find tech for neutral, etc.

I definitely would like to hear other peoples impressions in case I'm mistaken or failed to account for something.

(This was way longer than I intended)

I still think that the main issue people are having with getting the hang of her pressure is the current under-utilization of her drive. It's active state is incredible on paper for pressure, but I think people are a little gushy about it because you sacrifice your ability to block. It kinda reminds me of how a lot of people were hesitant to really use Amane's Drill back in the day (a few still are) despite the fact that level 3 drill back then was even stronger than it is now. Being unable to block in case you fuck up your pressure can be really daunting,  even with spooky skellington barrier )to back you up, so I'm still not really sure if it's a matter of her drive's benefits failing to outweigh it's downsides, or if people just aren't comfortable with the ebb and flow of her stance system/willing to go valk-tier aggro with her. Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, oh no, he said said:

I still think that the main issue people are having with getting the hang of her pressure is the current under-utilization of her drive. It's active state is incredible on paper for pressure, but I think people are a little gushy about it because you sacrifice your ability to block. It kinda reminds me of how a lot of people were hesitant to really use Amane's Drill back in the day (a few still are) despite the fact that level 3 drill back then was even stronger than it is now. Being unable to block in case you fuck up your pressure can be really daunting,  even with spooky skellington barrier )to back you up, so I'm still not really sure if it's a matter of her drive's benefits failing to outweigh it's downsides, or if people just aren't comfortable with the ebb and flow of her stance system/willing to go valk-tier aggro with her. Time will tell.

Well this is the same idea everyone had about Izayoi, and people still get discouraged from picking her up even though she got buffed and became easier to play. So I wouldn't really be surprised if this version of Izanami discourages people from ever playing her.

Does Izanami have to wait for her "purple triangle bits" to respawn before she can exit projectile mode?