Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AraragiTheVamp

Questions about Millia

I have a few questions I wanted to ask about Millia. mainly just some combo stuff. 

So Millia's BnB's are anything that can lead into her 2H> j.S> j.D> IAD> j.S> j.H then her oki. But I've also seen I believe was 2H> j.K> j.S> j.D> IAD> j.S> j.H then oki (There might have been a j.P at some point I can't remember right now). So I wanted to know what was the purpose of the combo and when I should use it? I've also heard and read that a lot of Millia's combos are character specific and such (and it seems they're mostly combos that involve the pin?) and I was wandering what are her actual universal combos. I saw that there was a combo discovery thread but wasn't an actual combo forum like others on Dustloop so I'm kinda confused on how and when certain combos are useful. 

Also can someone possibly add me to the discord chat for Millia player's? Read that it was a helpful group, especially since I'm new to GG and this character so it would be a great help, my username is the same as it is on here. 

Millia's universal combo route goes like this:

launcher > filler 1 > j.D > iad > filler 2 > j.H

you change the fillers depending on character, height, how deep into the combo you are (pushback/gravity/hitstun deterioration). In general you want to maximize the damage while still finishing the combo, so in most cases j.S as filler 1 and 2 are the most optimal, but sometimes these won't work. For example if I antiair Sol with 2H and he's very high, I'll do j.K j.D instead because it's more reliable on his hitbox. Or on a character like Leo, Potemkin or Ky, I often opt for j.K j.P as filler 2 because they are heavy and tend to fall out of j.S if they are low.

You can also implement various delays to compensate for height, like delaying j.H after j.S to get them higher in the combo.

Millia's combos in Xrd really aren't as character-specific as previous iterations anymore, it just takes some experience and feel for the moveset.

Hope this helped.

On 3/2/2016 at 6:13 PM, Rele said:

Millia's universal combo route goes like this:

launcher > filler 1 > j.D > iad > filler 2 > j.H

you change the fillers depending on character, height, how deep into the combo you are (pushback/gravity/hitstun deterioration). In general you want to maximize the damage while still finishing the combo, so in most cases j.S as filler 1 and 2 are the most optimal, but sometimes these won't work. For example if I antiair Sol with 2H and he's very high, I'll do j.K j.D instead because it's more reliable on his hitbox. Or on a character like Leo, Potemkin or Ky, I often opt for j.K j.P as filler 2 because they are heavy and tend to fall out of j.S if they are low.

You can also implement various delays to compensate for height, like delaying j.H after j.S to get them higher in the combo.

Millia's combos in Xrd really aren't as character-specific as previous iterations anymore, it just takes some experience and feel for the moveset.

Hope this helped.

Usually the filler 1 for me is j.KS, it seems to be more stable and universal.

On 2/6/2016 at 1:29 PM, heavymetalmixer said:

Usually the filler 1 for me is j.KS, it seems to be more stable and universal.

It also depends on what your launcher is; off of grounded 2H this is good, but off of other hits it won't work. For example off of 5PP anti-air jKSD will drop, so it's best to just do jKD, off of air hit 5S>2H its best to go straight for jD, etc, etc.

I find with Millia you eventually get a feel for adjusting things on the fly to achieve the optimal positioning in your combos, in both filler segments, after the launcher and after the IAD.

New question of similar nature if someone doesn't mind.

I often see someone like nakamura end the BnB typically JH then relaunch with 2H and do it again. Id like to understand when/why you do this as opposed to letting them land in knockdown state and setting up Oki.

Is it based on the starter? One would think that if you CAN you would always relaunch and do the BnB a second time in one long combo. So I guess what I'm asking is, do you only not relaunch and re-BnB if due to the starter the combo will drop? is it a hitstun deterioration thing?

1 hour ago, GoBL1N said:

New question of similar nature if someone doesn't mind.

I often see someone like nakamura end the BnB typically JH then relaunch with 2H and do it again. Id like to understand when/why you do this as opposed to letting them land in knockdown state and setting up Oki.

Is it based on the starter? One would think that if you CAN you would always relaunch and do the BnB a second time in one long combo. So I guess what I'm asking is, do you only not relaunch and re-BnB if due to the starter the combo will drop? is it a hitstun deterioration thing?

Well, I often do that when I need just a little bit of damage to finish off the round, or when I just want to land some extra damage.

It doesn't depend on the starter at all, but there are a lot of ways to launch your opponent a second time, the easiest one is by doing Silent Force in the 2nd or 3d hit of JH (It depends on the height the opponent is and weight of the character) and then going with 5K > JK > BnB or 5K > cS > JK > BnB. The second one is what you say you see Nakamura doing often, it's kind of hard to explain, but depending on the height of your opponent while you're doing your combo you can pick them up again easily with 5K/cS. You can try going with 2H > JS > JD > IAD JK > JP > JH > Land 5K > cS > jK > jD > IAD > jP > jH against Elphelt/I-No so that you can get the feeling of what I'm talking about. (If you want even more damage or just fancyness, try doing this at the end of the combo: jH (2 hits) > Silent Force > Winger)

The thing here, is that you need to add a couple of hits into your combo in order to relaunch without Silent Force, the basic BnB goes like Launch > jS > jD > IAD jS > jH, if you want to pick them up with 5K for example so that you can keep the combo going, you need to add either a jK between the Launch and the jS or going with IAD jK > jP > jH instead of IAD jS > jH.

Once you get the hang of what I'm talking about, you'll just need to delay your hits without adding extra buttons to relaunch your opponent, anyways, try doing the combo I wrote above against Elph/I-No (I could get certain parts wrong, since I just go with whatever I feel I need to hit/delay if I want to do a relaunch combo) and see if that's what you're talking about.

Thanks for the explanation. I will give it a try. I just didn't understand why you would ever choose not to relaunch them if you could. Its just more damage isn't it? and I don't see any inefficient resource usage since it doesn't use meter or anything like that.

I don't know about any other guys, but I myself won't use it all the time because of how much tension the opponent gain by doing so, the damage isn't worth it in the long run if you give free dead angle attacks/reversal supers by spamming the relaunch combo.

Biggest reason to not do relaunch is because of the burst it builds for the opponent. On average a normal bnb builds around 1 letter, while doing a relaunch builds 2 letters in total.
Since Millia is so good at forcing damage after knockdowns it's more worth it on average to not do relaunches and go for oki after the bnb.

Rule of thumb for me: Only do relaunch if the opponent has burst (even then I won't normally do it), or if it wins you the round even if he builds burst with it, or if you get an extremely good starter so the extra dmg is worth it (built up risc, CH 6H for example)

Thank you thats a perfect explanation. I didn't know hitting them built burst, meter I can assume but I was under the impression that burst only builds over time (I think Blazblue is that way) and had nothing to do with taking damage.

I'm pretty sure besides burst building over time (with the recovery rate being higher on low HP), burst recovery while taking dmg is a function of the amount of hits of a combo. If you want to see what I mean, go into pmode with May or Jam, empty the opponent's burst and hit them with their reversal supers ;)