Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

solidscheme

It's time for Guilty Gear to take the crown it always deserved

Capcom has done the unthinkable with Street Fighter 5 and Arc needs to take advantage of the situation immediately. They need to show gamers of all skill levels that their game has everything they could ask for. How often does a fighting game company get to move into a bigger piece of this market? The beast is wounded. They need to strike now before it recovers. Guilty Gear has all of the parts needed for a complete package. Characters , balance, modes, lore and most importantly, depth. Arc, your time on the throne has come....if you would only act on it. Promote the upcoming game like you've never done before. Don't waste this opportunity.

With Guilty Gear as the premier game, this site becomes the stage of super high traffic. Right here on home turf. Dustloop has a better developed character section than these other sites and that's already a plus for the game. Bring in more Guilty Bits-like videos and things will just keep growing.

Exactly three things need to happen for the version after Revelator:

1) Simultaneous PC release

2) Rollback netcode

3) Super Screaming Ultimate Spinning Whirlwind has superarmor again

There is one problem with your idea, and that's that Guilty Gear is not and has never been direct competition with SF.  Mortal Kombat, sure, Tekken, maybe, but not Guilty Gear.  Guilty Gear's primary audience is the Japanese arcade scene, while SF goes for a global audience of console players.  Even if you ignore the fact that Guilty Gear's niche audience make sup 1 tiny fraction of the juggernaut that is the SF community, Arc probably don't care about capturing fans from SF because they have a completely different demographic.  It's a noble idea to want to bring in fresh faces to a community that would do well to have new blood, but it's just not feasible for GG.  The games and audiences are too different.

EDIT: Anyway, here are some things Guilty Gear could do to have more appeal without sacrificing its core gameplay and identity, in my opinion at least.

1.No more fucking endless revisions and rereleases.  Capcom, the kings and innovators of this nonsense, have given up on the module.  SFV proves that you can patch in new characters and story as extra content instead od making a new version of the game and charging ridiculous amounts for it.  While you're at it, stop charging for new color palettes and music.

2.Simultaneous releases on both console and PC.  As long as Japan gets the arcade version and the rest of the world has to wait a full year (at earliest) to play it, people are going to hold off on GG.  This creates an endless cycle where people are always "waiting for the next version" to pick up the game.  Cross play would also help tremendously.

3.Rollback netcode.  Some games have delay based netcode and play fine online, but if you want a global audience you have to accomodate them with rollback netcode.  As most fighting games are Japanese, they have little issue catering to Japan with delay based netcode as their country is small and has good internet.  If you want a global audience, it's time to follow suit with what SFV and MKX are doing.

Guilty Gear has plenty of tools going for it to make it appealing, with its fantastic tutorial and mission mode, but until it does these three things I really can't see it being any more than a niche game at best.  There's nothing inherently wrong with being a niche game as GG has a very passionate player base, but I don't think it will ever overcome that as long as it stays the way it is.

Sad truth is no matter how shitty Street Fighter V is, it still will be the number one selling fighting game just because:

1) It's Capcom

2) It's Street Fighter

Capcom honestly doesn't even have to try to keep the game afloat. The masses do it alone. Each and every year Street Fighter is always the number 1 fighting game. No game even comes close sadly. It really disgusts me because there is so much other talent out there that really have to try to make an impact unlike Capcom which can just show that big Street Fighter cock and everyone is ready to bend over without a moment's notice. 

Even with the poor launch of Street Fighter V being a very incomplete game and tons of net code issues, it will still continue to dominate no matter what happens. Street Fighter is the supreme fighting game just as Call of Duty is to first person shooters. The name alone holds all the weight in the cards.

FYI, shitting on every game that isn't Arcsys is only going to make people refuse to pick up GG (or BB, everything I'm about to say applies to that community as well).  I see people on DL all the time shit on SF, Smash, MK, whatever and trust me when I say that as long as you do that, you are only hurting the community.  Not because you dislike the games, but because you give the image of being elitist hipsters to anyone on the outside looking in.  

I am just stating a mere fact and not sucking Guilty Gear's dick. I have issues with GGXrd too (anyone that says their fighting game is perfect is honestly full of shit). Whatever the majority plays, that is what will dominate. That is simple fact. Even with our voices to speak about other franchises, it pales in comparison to what Capcom has with their loyal fan base. Basically, we are fighting a pointless battle so it's best to just do what you can and make the best of it instead of trying to overtake something that is impossible to overtake.

The thing is, building a bigger communtiy does not have to come at the cost of another.  Instead of complaining that a game more popular than yours exists, you should promote the aspects you enjoy to new players.  It's fairly easy to make GG look cool to casuals or the uninitiated because it has cool graphics and music and characters with unique gameplay.  As you said, you'll never reach SF numbers, so it's better to focus on growing your community because you will never replace SF.  

Here I thought this topic was gonna be a discussion on who Ogawa should have an exhibition with on launch day of Revelator to help promote it. I was about to suggest Bruno Mars.

12 minutes ago, Layer said:

Here I thought this topic was gonna be a discussion on who Ogawa should have an exhibition with on launch day of Revelator to help promote it. I was about to suggest Bruno Mars.

Nah man, Mocchi vs DJ Khaled, let's go.  

I've tried promoting Guilty Gear Xrd and Nitroplus Blasterz but majority doesn't like it. Usually, the response I get is: "it looks too difficult to play" or "this looks like a stupid weeaboo/anime waifu game". Even a lot of my friends won't play these type of games as they rather play Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat or Marvel Vs Capcom etc. One of my friends said that Anime/Air Dashers are honestly too easy to play and lack any depth. I don't understand that one at all.

When you hear that kinda of stuff a lot of the time, then people wonder why we don't share our tastes with anyone and keep it to ourselves.  

8 hours ago, ChexGuy said:

Exactly three things need to happen for the version after Revelator:

1) Simultaneous PC release

2) Rollback netcode

3) Super Screaming Ultimate Spinning Whirlwind has superarmor again

With Revelator being on PS3, PS4 and PC, it'll have the biggest potential audience.

6 hours ago, HGhaleon said:

I've tried promoting Guilty Gear Xrd and Nitroplus Blasterz but majority doesn't like it. Usually, the response I get is: "it looks too difficult to play" or "this looks like a stupid weeaboo/anime waifu game". Even a lot of my friends won't play these type of games as they rather play Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat or Marvel Vs Capcom etc. One of my friends said that Anime/Air Dashers are honestly too easy to play and lack any depth. I don't understand that one at all.

When you hear that kinda of stuff a lot of the time, then people wonder why we don't share our tastes with anyone and keep it to ourselves.  

Then you say "fuck those people" (don't actually do this) and you keep trying; you don't stop trying to promote something because a few people didn't like it.

You can explain to people what makes like GG different from the norm, maybe play a match or two and let them get a feel for it.

7 hours ago, HGhaleon said:

Sad truth is no matter how shitty Street Fighter V is, it still will be the number one selling fighting game just because:

1) It's Capcom

2) It's Street Fighter

Capcom honestly doesn't even have to try to keep the game afloat. The masses do it alone. Each and every year Street Fighter is always the number 1 fighting game. No game even comes close sadly. It really disgusts me because there is so much other talent out there that really have to try to make an impact unlike Capcom which can just show that big Street Fighter cock and everyone is ready to bend over without a moment's notice. 

Even with the poor launch of Street Fighter V being a very incomplete game and tons of net code issues, it will still continue to dominate no matter what happens. Street Fighter is the supreme fighting game just as Call of Duty is to first person shooters. The name alone holds all the weight in the cards.

That's a defeatist attitude brother. When Nintendo was king of the hill and looking untouchable, did that stop Sony from doing their thing. Look at the situation now. Nintendo is the after-thought and Sony is the front-runner.

Nintendo si the after thought because of their own terrible decisions (good riddance btw), not because Sony somehow overcame them and became the big boss, because now Sony and MS are in direct competition with each other and neither one is on top objectively, they trade places every other month or so.

Also, Revelator being ON PS3, PS4 and PC (which is unconfirmed) means nothing because there's simultaneous release, as far as many are concerned the game is already old news because it's been out in arcades for over a year and we're only just now going to get it.  This needs to change if GG or any anime game is going to be anything more than an extreme niche in the FGC.  The lack of cross play/rollback is also going to further splinter the community.

14 hours ago, HGhaleon said:

Read this topic and you'll understand alot of things about the scene, how to make it grow, the players and many other things.

Isolation and "keeping it to yourself" isnt the key and is extremely harmful in the long run (I know this very well, trust me!).

14 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

Nah man, Mocchi vs DJ Khaled, let's go.  

All I do is win win win no matter what! Got gurlfriends on my mind I can never get enough!

3 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

Nintendo is the after thought because of their own terrible decisions (good riddance btw), not because Sony somehow overcame them and became the big boss, because now Sony and MS are in direct competition with each other and neither one is on top objectively, they trade places every other month or so.

Also, Revelator being ON PS3, PS4 and PC (which is unconfirmed) means nothing because there's simultaneous release, as far as many are concerned the game is already old news because it's been out in arcades for over a year and we're only just now going to get it.  This needs to change if GG or any anime game is going to be anything more than an extreme niche in the FGC.  The lack of cross play/rollback is also going to further splinter the community.

Capcom has been making terrible decisions for a few years now (Street Fighter X Tekken, Capcom Fighting Jam, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, etc.). It's just no one has capitalized on it. Sony brought in content with their software/hardware that you were hard-pressed to get with anything Nintendo was doing. Sony made video-gaming more acceptable and they were once considered something only children should do. It used to be that women would laugh at a guy playing games, now they're in the stores buying their boyfriends/husbands, or themselves games/consoles. Nintendo tried to keep the industry revolving around their ideas of kid-friendly fun, but Sony brought with them the edginess that created what we have today.

Street Fighter being a game I've been playing since Spring 92' has a tremendous reputation. Nintendo, with it's iconic characters like Mario, Donkey Kong and Link are even more known. That didn't stop Sony from running over them for three generations out of four (Nintendo ran to the casual market for breathing room with the Wii). Sony took advantage of the situation just as Arc can do now. Nintendo used to be synonymous with the term videogames and they're sitting on billions of dollars. Capcom couldn't even get Street Fighter 5 in development without the aid of Sony. The only thing holding Guilty Gear back from taking the world-wide spotlight is it's developers and promoters. Street Fighter has stopped evolving and the time to take the throne is now. Enough of this "will Guilty Gear be allowed at EVO this year?"

By the way, PS4 is steam-rolling over X1. Microsoft doesn't even show it's monthly sales numbers anymore.

My point stands that if any series "overtakes" SF as the main fighting game, it's going to most likely be MK or Smash.  As long as Arcsys continues only caring about their consistent market of the Japanese arcades and not taking a risk with a broader audience, GG and all its sister series will stay a niche.  I see what you're trying to say though, and I'd actually like to discuss the Nintendo/Sony thing with you further because it's something that interests me, but I don't want to derail the thread.

I don't think they can't do much more to be honest,  maybe with a bigger publisher in USA investing some money in marketing and tournaments, the game will reach more people but I can't help to think GG and BB will always be niche games no matter how much effort they put into it.

For sure they can do a better job, specially in Europe, but first they need to care about the western market enough, looks like things are changing little by little though.

18 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

Nintendo si the after thought because of their own terrible decisions (good riddance btw), not because Sony somehow overcame them and became the big boss, because now Sony and MS are in direct competition with each other and neither one is on top objectively, they trade places every other month or so.

13 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

My point stands that if any series "overtakes" SF as the main fighting game, it's going to most likely be MK or Smash.  As long as Arcsys continues only caring about their consistent market of the Japanese arcades and not taking a risk with a broader audience, GG and all its sister series will stay a niche.  I see what you're trying to say though, and I'd actually like to discuss the Nintendo/Sony thing with you further because it's something that interests me, but I don't want to derail the thread.

Bro, I fully understand what you mean with Arc looking at only the Japanese market as reference. Like the console character poll they had last Fall. Only Japan had any say on who should be added. Japan is smaller than California, but they were used exclusively to dictate what the rest of the world will receive. The same with the loooong wait for the updates of games that are being played now (since last year) in Japanese arcades. Yes, they will stay niche if this continues and will only have themselves to blame for not taking what can be theirs easily. How many Americans/Europeans like Rock music? How many competitive gamers like depth? Guilty Gear has everything needed to be the premier fighting game.

I really think it's a pride thing to be honest. I Remember Nintendo's former President saying this about the global gaming market: "In Japan, I can be my own antennae, but abroad that doesn't work." http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-looks-outside-japan-next-systems-leadership/

It's a great game. I'd say unquestionably the best fighting have out there right now. SF5 may get it's act together, but right now GG already holds that crown. You gotta believe at least some people will migrate to GG.

I'll be doing my best to attract players to Xrd by advertising our locals and keeping netplay alive. If you're experienced, be sure to try to add accurate information to the wiki pages. All we can do is play our game and encourage other people to try it too, I hope everyone keeps trying their best!

Two things don't help GG:

1. Adding all this otaku stuff like Elphelt (btw no, it isn't a balanced game with her around). 

2. Selling policy of selling every single update as a separate game. Heck even i who am a FG player by life dropped Blazblue because of this. Let alone all casuals who are trying to get into the game. 

13 hours ago, Clamper said:

1. Adding all this otaku stuff like Elphelt (btw no, it isn't a balanced game with her around). 

brb dying of laughter at how stupid this comment is

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:18 AM, Clamper said:

2. Selling policy of selling every single update as a separate game. Heck even i who am a FG player by life dropped Blazblue because of this. Let alone all casuals who are trying to get into the game. 

Have you seen what R. Mika and Laura look like in Street Fighter 5? I will admit though that they went waaay overboard with Blazblue's Makoto. Like seriously, how do you expect to gain a bigger audience when children see a squirrel dressed like a prostitute? That's not cool.

Yeah, if they're going to charge 59.99 USD; then they really REALLY need to make sure it's worth it. I couldn't touch Chrono Phantasm Extend because there was only one new character and a balance patch worth talking about (even with a discount). It was even worse that they announced Central Fiction months later. The over-saturation of titles and the region division they're causing in the community is very toxic.