Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

solidscheme

It's time for Guilty Gear to take the crown it always deserved

On 2/17/2016 at 1:20 AM, ChexGuy said:

Exactly three things need to happen for the version after Revelator:

1) Simultaneous PC release

2) Rollback netcode

3) Super Screaming Ultimate Spinning Whirlwind has superarmor again

1) Yes

2) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, rollback netcode is the worst shit ever! Go back to delay netcode and call it a day.

3) What?

On 2/21/2016 at 7:18 AM, Clamper said:

Two things don't help GG:

1. Adding all this otaku stuff like Elphelt (btw no, it isn't a balanced game with her around). 

2. Selling policy of selling every single update as a separate game. Heck even i who am a FG player by life dropped Blazblue because of this. Let alone all casuals who are trying to get into the game. 

The great irony is that this is the exact attitude that makes nobody want to play your game.  Honestly, Guilty Gear players need to get over yourself.  Your shit has been weeb as fuck pandering from day 1, and all of your denial about how it's "totally a dark gritty serious metal game you guys, really" is just pathetically insecure.  Instead of circle jerking about character designs and pretending to be something you're not, you should actually do something to play shepherd and get new players on board, like...

On 2/20/2016 at 3:59 PM, StrawberryGL said:

I'll be doing my best to attract players to Xrd by advertising our locals and keeping netplay alive. If you're experienced, be sure to try to add accurate information to the wiki pages. All we can do is play our game and encourage other people to try it too, I hope everyone keeps trying their best!

This individual is doing.  Make your game look as cool and fun as possible, and when new players take interest, give them a hand and try to pinpoint what they like most about it so that you can help them get the most out of the experience.  While I am no fan of GG, I think it has a lot to offer to fighting game fans looking for an alternative to the main trio of SF/MK/Smash, provided they're willing to deal with god awful release schedules and vastly inferior delay based netcode.  

Just now, Poultrygeist said:

The great irony is that this is the exact attitude that makes nobody want to play your game.  Honestly, Guilty Gear players need to get over yourself.  Your shit has been weeb as fuck pandering from day 1, and all of your denial about how it's "totally a dark gritty serious metal game you guys, really" is just pathetically insecure.  

What I find hilarious every time I see a comment like that towards the new characters is that you know that if they were vets they'd be perfectly acceptable and if someone like Bridget or May were the newcomers they'd call them otaku pandering trash as well, I know someone will try to jump through hoops trying to explain why May and Bridget are OK but Elphelt and Jack-O aren't but you know it's true. It's time to take off those nostalgia goggles. 

On 2/22/2016 at 2:02 AM, ChexGuy said:

brb dying of laughter at how stupid this comment is

Show your non otaku/FGC friends a match between Elphelt vs May in japanese and watch how much they'll get into this. :vbang:

This shit doesn't appeal to normal people in the West. 

6 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

The great irony is that this is the exact attitude that makes nobody want to play your game.  Honestly, Guilty Gear players need to get over yourself.  Your shit has been weeb as fuck pandering from day 1, and all of your denial about how it's "totally a dark gritty serious metal game you guys, really" is just pathetically insecure.  Instead of circle jerking about character designs and pretending to be something you're not, you should actually do something to play shepherd and get new players on board, like...

This individual is doing.  Make your game look as cool and fun as possible, and when new players take interest, give them a hand and try to pinpoint what they like most about it so that you can help them get the most out of the experience.  While I am no fan of GG, I think it has a lot to offer to fighting game fans looking for an alternative to the main trio of SF/MK/Smash, provided they're willing to deal with god awful release schedules and vastly inferior delay based netcode.  

This thread isn't about how GG is, was or has been, it's about making it appeal to a wider audience. Adding more and more things like this besides the ones it already has won't help.

BTW yes, they ARE going overboard on Xrd.

3 hours ago, Clamper said:

Show your non otaku/FGC friends a match between Elphelt vs May in japanese and watch how much they'll get into this. :vbang:

This shit doesn't appeal to normal people in the West. 

"Normal" people do not make hasty assumptions based on a single match. Or character designs, for that matter. Rather than blaming GG devs for what they've been doing from the very beginning, why not try fighting that attitude? Do show people an Elphelt vs May fight. In Japanese. And then point out how Elphelt's playstyle is basically an FPS in a fighting game. Or that May is a rare case of a heavyweight female character. And don't act like it's impossible, most local players around here picked GG as their first fighting game back in the late 90s, and a lot of them never even watched anime.

As for "Going overboard" on Xrd, they took out Bridget and Dizzy before adding Elphelt and whatever other characters offend you. The fanservice ratio is almost exactly the same, it's just that you don't want to admit it because you are used to the old fanservice.

What exactly is going on with this "Girls are icky" attitude, anyways? I thought it's a bit too late for most gamers to care about social stigmas. We are already considered to be irredeemable nerds by the general public, why bother putting on airs before other nerds?

I'll humor you for a moment.  Let's take it back to the original Xrd trailer, the one with just Sol and Ky.  In this trailer you are IMMEDIATELY bombared with loud as fuck J-rock with cringey Engrish vocals while the two characters fighting are an edgelord with a ton of belts and a ridiculous sword with gigantic Yugioh hair vs an androgynous fuckboy who looks like he stepped out of Fate Stay Night or some shit shooting lightning bolts while both of them fly all over the screen like DBZ characters with flashy visual FX going off everywhere.  Anyone who is going to be put off by "ew gross icky anime" is already so, they've lost interest at this point.  All you're doing right now is proving me right.  Nobody wants to play with Guilty Gear players because they do shit like this, it's the same reason why the Melee scene, despite being incredibly massive and loyal, has difficulty growing (that and the game has a very high skill ceiling, which I guess you could also apply to GG).  Maybe if you spend less time trying to posture on your game's "image" and "designs" and more showing people why you like it, you wouldn't have to complain about why your game is dead on the internet.

Now I'm going to share some advice for people hoping to get their friends into GG, or any other fighter.  This is the exact process I used to get like 6 people to pick up BB in my local scene. 

First you obviously have to bring the game to your meetup.  Sit in the lab and do your thing.  If someone asks you what game it is, tell them and explain why you think it's cool and worth picking up.  Do NOT say "Oh this is totally better than SF/MK/Smash" unless you are talking to someone who you know will not take it too seriouslly because this can come off as extremely condecsending.  You don't want that.  The next thing you can do is go to the select screen and help them find a character that they think looks cool, and then go back into the lab and show them some neat things with them.  For example, in GG's case maybe your friend sees Chipp and thinks he looks cool.  Pick the guy and do his jump install bnbs, or show them YRC teleport shenanigans or anything else that may impress them.  If you've got their attention now, offer to let them sit in training themselves (especially if you set dummy to P2 so you can play along with them) or even play the tutorial.  Another thing you can do is let them borrow your copy of the game, provided they own the console it's on.  Trust me that this did work for me and unless you play with the most closed minded people alive, it should work for you as well.

23 minutes ago, Poultrygeist said:

First you obviously have to bring the game to your meetup.  Sit in the lab and do your thing.  If someone asks you what game it is, tell them and explain why you think it's cool and worth picking up.  Do NOT say "Oh this is totally better than SF/MK/Smash" unless you are talking to someone who you know will not take it too seriouslly because this can come off as extremely condecsending.  You don't want that.  The next thing you can do is go to the select screen and help them find a character that they think looks cool, and then go back into the lab and show them some neat things with them.  For example, in GG's case maybe your friend sees Chipp and thinks he looks cool.  Pick the guy and do his jump install bnbs, or show them YRC teleport shenanigans or anything else that may impress them.  If you've got their attention now, offer to let them sit in training themselves (especially if you set dummy to P2 so you can play along with them) or even play the tutorial.  Another thing you can do is let them borrow your copy of the game, provided they own the console it's on.  Trust me that this did work for me and unless you play with the most closed minded people alive, it should work for you as well.

I agree 100 % with this however I disagree about GG always being like this, it used to be a dark gritty hardcore game which has gone from dark to downright silly, I personally hate the silly over comedic animations but the game is still very well done and it is my favorite fg.

Also I think it is the best time for showcasing GG, with SFV's release we might get a new wave of players looking for something fresh and new and compared to how easy Xrd is compared to its previous entry, its highly more manageable.

I stuck around since the first GG and I never imagined it would evolve so much, the community just keeps getting better and though some see Xrd as a weak entry in the series, I think its going to get better.

I also personally think while some hate on SFV or SF as a series, this is arguably the best game to learn your basics, which sadly many arksys beginners skip over especially in BB. These basics carry over very well here (mainly footsies/space control).

My point is instead of fighting one another they should use each other and work together to make a better FGC, BB teaches good execution, Sf teaches the basics footsies/ space control  and GG ties them together

4 minutes ago, ViolaSorel said:

I personally hate the silly over comedic animations

You mean like this one?  :P

I like your last sentence, even though I think execution in GG is less of a necessity than in BB, it's important to remember that there's no reason for us as consumers/gamers to be in competition with each other OUTSIDE of the game.  You can play more than one game and even if you don't there's no reason why your game has to succeed at the cost of another.  This is not purely a GG problem either, as you see it with everything.  KOF fans bashing on SF, Melee and Sm4sh infighting (and to say nothing of Smash vs the rest of the FGC as a whole), hell pretty much anything involving anime games or MK/KI is going to get shit from the opposite camp.  However I do think that this is a good time to introduce people to new games since so many are having difficulty even playing SFV.  But as I said, don't present it as a replacement or superor to SF, but rather an alternative.

19 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

As lazy as, say, Jack-o's design is, it's not gonna put people off the game by itself especially compared to SF5 which has eyesores like Birdie and R.Mika littering the cast. Honestly, things like Sol BadGuy's name has probably put more people off Guilty Gear with their first glance over the years. It's not something that can be helped really and we're not in the depths of, say, release SkullGirls (arguably now with Big Band still being much better than the rest of cast IMO) or Nitro Blasters or whatever where it is pretty much filled to the brim with waifu bait characters. Guilty Gear has those waifu bait characters but it's also got a bunch of other characters and archetypes going for it. 

I think tightening up the release schedules and even getting more cross-play is the way to go if Arcsys wants to make the series more popular outside Japan. It's hard to grow a scene for the game when the EU publishers are useless pricks and when by the time it gets localized there's yet another game looming on the horizon.

I'm really glad the PC ports have been doing really well (especially after some of the porter staff were being cunts about people wanting the Xrd port) and that's a big step forward. Other than that, if you want people to try your game, don't be a memekid (haha man this guilty gear is so anime dood there's like this dude bridget who looks like a gir- wait where are you going) or try to put other games down.

Whoah there brother, most of your post is pretty agreeable but I can't get onboard with anyone who hates Birdie.  He's the best.

But yes, definitely.  Fix the fucking release schedules.  This NEEDS to happen if any anime is going to get traction outside of Japan.  

Well I think the reason why GG( well all arksys games) isn't popular is the fact that its completely different from any fighter, It's off putting to some because they get one look at the tutorials and realize that they may be in over their heads, as opposed to SF where they look at the simple mechanics. Sf is easy to pick-up while any arksys games take awhile to understand, and yes arksys is downright harder mechanics wise, but if you look at the level of competition SFV has and how many people know their stuff, it is downright hard to even matter in this game.

Nah, GG is not completely different from the other fighters. You might say that about Smash, but even then, I wouldn't be so sure about it. It all comes down to the fact that people had more time to get used to the feel and game flow of SF with its long arcade history (just like Smash has been a crowd favorite even outside of tournaments). Unfortunately, GG has to fight SF on its home turf, and it can't really win this fight without even attempting to become a presence.

You are all cute.

GG will never get the popularity it deserves in the West, because it's way too hardcore for the casual audiance, who are the people who can make a game popular or not.

I'm not even speaking of the character design here. The gameplay is a huge stop to any non veteran in fighters, where the game shouts to your face "you suck" all the time.

SF makes you think you can manage, even when play like a monkey. 

18 minutes ago, Zouf said:

You are all cute.

GG will never get the popularity it deserves in the West, because it's way too hardcore for the casual audiance, who are the people who can make a game popular or not.

I'm not even speaking of the character design here. The gameplay is a huge stop to any non veteran in fighters, where the game shouts to your face "you suck" all the time.

1. You are grossly overestimating GG's difficulty.

2. Most casuals don't even care about getting good, playing the arcade mode once or twice and looking at the cool specials is usually enough for them. And GG has both, unlike, say, SFV.

6 hours ago, Zouf said:

You are all cute.

It's like poetry.  The exact condescending elitist behavior I talked about earlier decides to actually manifest itself within this thread.  I legitimately can't tell anymore how many of you even WANT GG to grow and succeed, or if you want it to stay a secret boy's club forever to keep out them damn casulz or anyone below intermediate level.  

There's so much dumb in this thread, its pretty laughable. 

You want people to take anime seriously? Just take your fucking PS3/PS4/PC/whatever to your local meetup, put that shit on and play it until somebody shows interest. I'm tired of this defeatist "Oh nobody likes our game" attitude, people like that only contribute to the problem.

And as for "GG is too waifu bait", well whether people like it or not, that's what is popular nowadays and if it draws people to the game, who the fuck cares if they think Elphet/May/Makoto/Noel is cute, the fact is you got someone to play the game. So please stop this close-minded and elitist mindset and just go out and advertise your fucking game. 

I took Blazblue down to my campus last week and had like four people wanting to play; the tv's were ass with 2 seconds of lag, but hey, I got people somewhat interested at least.

6 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

It's like poetry.  The exact condescending elitist behavior I talked about earlier decides to actually manifest itself within this thread.  I legitimately can't tell anymore how many of you even WANT GG to grow and succeed, or if you want it to stay a secret boy's club forever to keep out them damn casulz or anyone below intermediate level.  

Yes, that behavior is extremely toxic and it's insulting to those "casuals" who WANT to be better players. WE weren't always so knowledgeable about fighting games. Already putting the situation in defeat-mode for new players is not healthy. 

Ok with that out the way, I have something a little different here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3GRzhJRavE

See this trailer? What Arc needs to do is make it (a new trailer) so new players understand what is going on with the game. The fighting/gameplay in this trailer is extremely brief and most of it is blocked off by the giant portrait of the characters. If I was a new player and was curious of what Guilty Gear has to offer, I would want to see what makes every character in the game special. Give the viewer a clear understanding that Venom uses a pool-stick and pool-balls for offense and defense, Jack-O is a lockdown character that uses a Patapon-like technique to succeed, Bedman can created "echoes" of his previous attacks for confusion, Chip is a stick-and-move ninja, Etc. Show the back-and-forth strategy with the Blitz Shield mechanic. Show how specials can be roman canceled. Announce each character's name. Let the player get a full grasp of the coolness and flash (like the overdrives). The main thing is to build a relationship up between a player and any specific character/s (and game modes) they might be interested in.

I'm really sorry to break this to you, but as far as america goes FGC is synonymous with capcom and a lot of those people will not ever seriously branch outside of capcom games. The amount of times I've had some marvel or SF player say "yo that game looks sick," buy said game and then never play it frusstrates me to no end. Also,

On 2/17/2016 at 10:58 PM, Poultrygeist said:

FYI, shitting on every game that isn't Arcsys is only going to make people refuse to pick up GG (or BB, everything I'm about to say applies to that community as well).  I see people on DL all the time shit on SF, Smash, MK, whatever and trust me when I say that as long as you do that, you are only hurting the community.  Not because you dislike the games, but because you give the image of being elitist hipsters to anyone on the outside looking in.  

Some of you guys know what you're doing and I wish you good luck in attracting new players.  Just remember that you outnumber the elitist jackoffs and hipster assholes, and use that to your advantage.  Be as welcoming as you can and show off what you like about the game.  Give your friends an opportunity to try the game out, encourage them to do the tutorial, help them find a character, etc.  I know you can do it.  It worked for me, I'm confident it will work for you if you try.

Eh, I think they would be better off if they removed Elphelt's design, aged May, and put clothes on Dizzy.  Honestly just showing people Faust is usually what gets people into the game when I try and sell it. 

On 2/23/2016 at 2:46 AM, ViolaSorel said:

I agree 100 % with this however I disagree about GG always being like this, it used to be a dark gritty hardcore game which has gone from dark to downright silly, I personally hate the silly over comedic animations but the game is still very well done and it is my favorite fg.

i'm sorry you can't see how fucking goofy guilty gear has always been

1 hour ago, Pomparomp said:

i'm sorry you can't see how fucking goofy guilty gear has always been

I know GG has always been silly, but with xrd's animations it gets over emphasized, and tbh I hate sin, solid playstyle but he just insults me to no end. I feel like he's beginner character that teaches nothing to said beginner about the game's mechanics. The reason I say GG used to be dark and gritty was because in the first game the art style and backstory for most characters were dark, damn Zato-1 even did a fatality back then. Yes, there's the whole May aspect of the game,she brought a innocent aspect in game where assassins, knights,gears and a deranged psychopath were fighting to kill each other.

3 hours ago, Pomparomp said:

I'm really sorry to break this to you, but as far as america goes FGC is synonymous with capcom and a lot of those people will not ever seriously branch outside of capcom games. The amount of times I've had some marvel or SF player say "yo that game looks sick," buy said game and then never play it frusstrates me to no end. Also,

The people I've turned onto GG and BB were all hardcore SF players looking for a more competition, or they adored fighting games and honestly Arksys games are like a drug to these types of people. 

2 hours ago, Poultrygeist said:

May is 22, that's older than half the roster of King of Fighters!

Sadly Kyo is destined to be in high school forever

21 hours ago, Pomparomp said:

I've been playing Street Fighter since early 1992. That has no affect on which game I prefer. That defeatist attitude keeps showing up.