Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

www.keeponrock.in

Raven Pre-Release Speculation and Analysis Thread

With the new Kum vs Raven Exhibition video released by arcsystemworks: 

I have compiled a screenshot of most of his normals here: http://imgur.com/DVLIRd5

And also I started up a public google doc for analysis:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jG0FBWhJMg8XBCuip3c1_4dk5O6bYKIKJpXXHGAC5os/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Basically the idea is, solid info goes into the doc, ideas down here. :> Have fun!

I'll start off with a few ideas:

• Raven has a dropkick (j.2K) so maybe he can do FD cancels like Faust and Chipp!
    • But it seems closer to May's j.2K than the other two. Can May FDC with her j.2K? Even if Raven could, would it be useful? His jump arc is very similar to May's so it may only be useful during his airdash and even then, doing a normal at the start of his airdash will have him drop out of the airdash and later in the airdash he's already very close to the ground.
    • edit: Faust, Chipp and May can all do FDCs with j.2K/j.2H, but of the three, only Faust can FDC out of his dash. Raven has a unique dash so maybe he can do it out of his dash too, but it could go either way.
      • Raven's jump does not have very much horizontal distance, but it has a lot of vertical distance so his FDC may behave closer to May's. It would be difficult to jump over the opponent and use it to fake a cross up, but you could decrease the height of a jump or super jump with it...
  • "Hit me Here" has very short total frames! Maybe he can do stance cancel pressure?
  • During LOX's match with FAB, he goes for a lot of j.H during his airdash.
    • It looks like he was trying to land early during his airdash with the idea that since j.H has longer start up it would whiff and he would land, but the airdash momentum keeps carrying him forward. Maybe it's not possible to land early once your airdash has horizontal momentum or maybe j.H has too little start up?

His Excitement Gauge seems to have more than one level, comparing Famitsu Reveal and the Gameplay. Full gauge may have even better benefits.

Unfortunately, you can't carry the amount in Excitement Gauge between rounds, what makes the player to risk his own health to build up, plus his purple health depletes completely once hit out the Stance and takes around 5 sec to the purple health regenerate.

The gauge seems to fill by hits not per damage (need to be confirmed) and at https://youtu.be/YKQn4rSgAxE?t=14m56s thegauge seems to be filled at the very start alone, maybe because his health bar was already flashing.

On 5.3.2016 at 10:51 PM, JustaMaskedFreak said:

The gauge seems to fill by hits not per damage (need to be confirmed) and at https://youtu.be/YKQn4rSgAxE?t=14m56s thegauge seems to be filled at the very start alone, maybe because his health bar was already flashing.

You can stay in Stance by holding the K button. If you won't get hit, the Gauge fills slowly up .

Has anyone seen someone try to cancel his airdash with a pinwheel to stop his momentum before hitting like Jedah can in VSAV? Seems like once you start the dash everything carries the momentum. Wondering if he'll be able to stop it with his j2k and FDC for an overhead too. 

His needle projectiles look hella fast. His lockdown potential with the airdash and the buzzsaw thing look like it's gonna be killer. And those normals...! f.5S and 2D specifically. Looks like his mid range game is going to be great. I cannot wait for this dude. 

I wonder how his "Masochist" Stance is supposed to be applied? Like when you'd wanna go into it and stuff. 

Seems like it's probably more safe and impactful to use it earlier in the fight, since the gauge never seems to drain (as far as I can tell).

I suppose it's also a matter of confidence. You might be able to tank an Overdrive and then immediately launch into a combo, and regen the lost health while you're doing it. But if you fuck up you would probably have been better off blocking. I think it'll take a lot of experimentation to get it figured out.

Of note, it is YRCable and special cancellable. If it's super cancellable, that would be strong. By default, we could see it in certain zoning situations but because it looks like hits rather than damage amount fill it up, it will probably take multiple uses to fill it up on average.

It mostly becomes a guessing game for that. Can't be too close or you probably get throw mashed. Do it too early and it will be obvious, no one good reversal.

My idea is to throw the wheel, yrc, then enter pain stance. Depending on how fast it recovers, it could force reversal characters to take Raven's pressure, although without a ground overhead that's not 5D, not much in the way of setplay mixup.

How does he seem to play to you guys? Zoning or Setplay? 

An employee of PQube uploaded a little Raven teaser

Surprising how long active Wachen Zweig HS is. He also confirmed that it is possible to follow it up with 2H and if Roman Canceled it is possible to do a full midscreen combo with 236S (Grausam Impuls).

23 hours ago, JDE said:

How does he seem to play to you guys? Zoning or Setplay? 

His okizeme potential seems very solid with j.D-j.scharf kugel looking fairly easy to apply. As for his zoning, we will have to see about how the slow down on the needles can be abused as it looks like they don't lead to very much besides the debuff if you don't YRC it. I'm not too sure about scharf kugel in neutral either. Maybe it can be used, since it stays around for quite some time!

Edit: I'm sure using the needles when you jump and such will serve as a good complement to airdashing though, much like how Bedman will mix up his airdashes with task A. Like pretty much any character in Guilty Gear, the zoning tools Raven is given are most likely going to be used to help him get in.

Raven demonstration and Q&A from PLAY Expo Blackpool, via MBA Gaming

They go through every move he has and explain where and how they can be used
Oh, and his full theme is listenable... and it's awesome.

On 5/2/2016 at 3:48 PM, Danaiden said:

Raven demonstration and Q&A from PLAY Expo Blackpool, via MBA Gaming

They go through every move he has and explain where and how they can be used
Oh, and his full theme is listenable... and it's awesome.

Yeah raven looks awesome cant wait to hit the lab with raven. Is there a movelist out already ? 

34 minutes ago, Chewie891 said:

Yeah raven looks awesome cant wait to hit the lab with raven. Is there a movelist out already ? 

Suzaku created three post in the main thread:

• Translation of his and Haehyun's biography and moves + inputs
  • Detailed overview of Raven's and Haehyun's moves
  • Rundown of Raven's moves

Okay, I have questions.

1. Is this guy hard to use?

2. Can I use pad?

I like the whole lock down thing he has goingon and I want to try him.

19 minutes ago, susano said:

Okay, I have questions.

1. Is this guy hard to use?

2. Can I use pad?

I like the whole lock down thing he has goingon and I want to try him.

1. Dunno yet.

2. Yes.

14 minutes ago, www.keeponrock.in said:

1. Dunno yet.

2. Yes.

Okay, guess I'll have to see for myself.

Not sure where to post this but I just got the game a few days ago and wanted to share a few setups with air 236HS. Haven't tested in real match yet but could be a good starting point.

From normal throw (midscreen only):

Throw > Running jump > jS > jD (2 hit) > j236HS > wait a bit and airdash > (projectile hits once) mix between glide hit into combo / jP whiff land into low into combo

>> j236HS from this setup should be low enough to hit most characters crouching with 1 hit, but may whiff on some, need to test more.

EDIT: Actually I assumed it would work on characters around the same height or taller than Sol but after testing on everyone it whiffed on Leo and Kum for example so it may also have to do with their wakeup animation or timing.

Characters it works on:

Elphelt, Sol, Ramlethal, Sin, Johnny, Chipp, Millia, Zato, Potemkin (for him all 3 hits obviously), I-no, Slayer, Venom, Axl, Bedman (2 to 3 hits if done well), Jam.

So it's still a pretty good portion of the cast.

Some characters like Axl, Ino, Elphelt, Millia or Jam seem to be a bit harder than others, and generally you want to get the jS hit after the running jump as late as possible. If done well you can get even 3 hits on Bedman.

From a 236S combo finish:

When you use 236 S to finish a combo, you cannot setup an okizeme with 236HS but a tked j236HS should work perfectly unless you're too far.

236S (KD) > j236HS > land > IAD > mixup

>> Maybe I'm doing something wrong but in this setup I've not be able to get the jP whiff trick to work, as the character is too close. Mixing between glide hit > jS > jP > jS / glide hit > jHS > 2K seems like it could throw off the opponent's timing to block but doesn't seem great. So a simple empty jump into low / airdash into mid mixup could just be the way to go here.