Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vegta12

Accidental Venom Match-ups

For BAIKEN it's a bit harder to combo since the weird hotbox. Other characters that share this are KY, MAY, EDDIE where usually off a throw you can't 66>6P. Midrange it's best to stick with CR loop to push towards the corner or a normal 3 ball setup combo. A variation on usual corner combos are 6P>6HS>Pb>66>6P>6HS>Sb>66>5S>DC. Do it mainly for style points since the end looks pretty cool. :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Characters with that funky hitbox can still be hit with 6P, 6H off throw. Instead of dashing forward, just WALK forward and delay the 6P a slight bit. After that the rest is gravy.

-Learn to IB or even better SB his EXE beasts. -Learn to IB his strings. -No point of FDing him out since EXE Beast will just lock you down and you'll look like a fool for wasting meter. -Learn to 1F jump i.e. pressing FD as you jump in which not "dust cloud" appears so you get out of EXE Beast pressure and tick throw setups.

Something I gathered out of N-O's blog this morning. This is appears to be his current venom matchup chart. Keep in mind I'm doing this with a web page translator, I can't read Kanji to save my life yet. But according to the N man himself, these are the matchups (venom's number first) 6-4: Johnny 5.75-4.25 - Axl, Anji 5.5-4.5: Robo, Ky, ABA, Hoss, Bridget, Dizzy, Sol 5-5: Pot, Chipp, May 4.75-5.25: Zappa, Jam, Ino 4.5-5.5: Faust 4.25-5.75: Testament, Baiken, Slayer 4-6: Millia, Eddie The top and bottom don't suprise me a bit. Where I am kind of shocked is that apparently May is an even matchup. I always saw her wrecking venom, but i dont know how to fight that character to save my life. Dunno looks pretty kosher to me at least, what do you guys think?

I never studied May matchup properly because our local May player is hard to get to , but somehow when I'm against her in a casual play I get destroyed a few matches , then I adapt. She is so stupid - especially her sprite hitbox during jump animation\most of her normals . Jpn or not , this list actually looks OK to me - ONCE you've put the time to learn the matchups. Because look at chipp or Po - they can also , like ,literally destroy you if you never studied how to fight against them. Air Gear Hikki , Against Chipp CONSIDER being patient and see the pattern of Chipp's movements (tripple jump) , poke with precision (2s and 5s still work great) , you can summon Balls , but don't expect to win the match with them, spamming them around. Just summon and observe if it's worth hitting them right away (usually not). They are still helpful. That's N-O's way of fighting Chipp. I don't usually try to rush Chipp down.

oh did i say japan? lol edited the post sorry but i dont have any match up against chipp yet.. but i think you just need to be careful when summoning balls and anticipate teleport by airthrow or just 6P.. but since chipps jH starts in 8 frames so its better to 6P than airthrow.. you also need to 5S/2S a alot to prevent chipp from knocking you down with 2D(9 frames) beware of chipps 6P(1-11 invisibility) iirc 5S always lose to this move. ED:@HIKKI you should read the frame data or play chipp against venom so you have more idea how chipps think.

yeah chips 6p always gets me...:i so it's like this for me, i always try to rush him cause he gets annoying when he jumps around everywhere. i'll keep that in mind though. stank you

Well what generally happens when you play against Chipp? If you give a clearer description of what you're having trouble with, it would be easier to help. :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

yeah chips 6p always gets me...:i

so it's like this for me, i always try to rush him cause he gets annoying when he jumps around everywhere.

i'll keep that in mind though.

stank you

I believe that running away is better than actually rushing Chipp down (at least until you have him scared enough that you can pin him in a corner). It's really hard to hit him and you really need to get him with a 6P or 6HS but at the same time you don't want to commit to any pokes with super long recovery. And as Incoan says, your 5S and 2S are great for jabbing at him. Balls are your friend, run, warp, summon more.

I don't have too much matchup experience against him, but I know that if you're standing around you're going to get mixed up really hard :/

More input for Potemkin matchup please. For some reason I tend to get Potbustered when Potemkin blocks my S Mad Struggle. What's the better thing to do after a gatling chain into 2S? S CR gets evaded by Forward Megafist, and HS CR gets beaten by Hammerfall. The only way I win this matchup is alot of turtling and ball setting and shooting. Once I got him blocking, it's alot of c.S (3 hits), S CR. I also avoid ending strings with DC as it also gets beaten by Hammerfall.

S mad struggle is busterable only if you do it from a wrong height. Your link timing is probably off. After 2S I used to do carcass raid which was not a good idea in the middle of the screen (I think Potemkin can trade hits with you with his pokes since the CR ball has to fly a longer distance). Megafist is blockable - it's not that much of a threat. Ball summon after 2S is safe enough if you are that scared. Or even a teleport. Or don't gatling into anything. Or stinger aim. I mean, there is no best way (unless you spend tension). Potemkin theoretically has counters to a lot of things Venom does (otherwise he would have no chance to win). Just accept it and plow through. Stay safe but don't chicken out. :)

Use 5S since it has far reach than 2S. And you can also cancel out potemkins hammerfall anytime with 5S>... 2S then 5S>...summon. Lol carcass raid isnt good against potemkin since he has slidehead and hammerfall. If you are a nanashi type venom then you should just rush him down with tickthrows/dry throws/FB Madstruggle/Madstruggle etc. If being offensive doesn't work then try to summon air balls and zone him out. Of course you still have to close in at the right time, its your choice. summon more air balls Dubious curve beats(1-11 feet invul)... slidehead (you can actually dc out of pots 6h>slidehead string needing to IB) Stinger Aim H for some chipp damage 5S>2S string beats... hammerfall ball+ jh/5h beats.. hammerfall double morbid isn't good bec it has bad recovery

Seriously, air summons are your friend in this match. As long as pot doesn't have meter for HPB, the air is probably the safest place you can be with some distance between you and Po. Make sure you know how to 1 frame jump too, this applies to all matches but it comes in extremely handy in getting out of slidehead. Also S double head at max range is actually very useful against Po, it will stuff almost everything he does (unless he p busters you, but if po is inputting p buster at that range, then....either he's in your mind, exploding your heads, or he's bad). S DhM is one of your best opening options against Pochop. Typically empty jump and ball hit tick throws work well against potemkin, don't get too blatent or predictable about it, just make sure you add them to your mixups to keep him honest and less likely to mash on buster.

We seriously need a match up thread so we can merge everything said about the match ups.. XD Maybe we should vote MCR(evo08 ve rep) to become the new moderator since the current one isn't active at all.

Well, Titan is active, but I remember him saying something about not making a match-up section....... Kyon, did you forget about BlackSnake? He got second in singles and had the winning team in teams. >_>

LOL I wouldn't mind trying mod status but I'm definitely not pro with Venom yet. Blacksnake is really, really on the ball with VE. I was there and watched the whole thing. His style isn't like anything I've seen before. It's super-aggressive and uses a lot of balls. If you've watched N-O...imagine if N-O was on the offensive all the time instead of zoning. It might be a bit unorthodox at times, but it looks really badass. I could try and ask him if he would like to mod these forums, but he doesn't really care much for them because our activity has always been shit.

I wouldn't take that vid to heart. You have to play differently against Baiken as a rule of thumb. You should watch the Blacksnake vs. Elvenshadow matches for a better idea of what he really plays like (those matches were siiickkkk). All I can say is: Kuro Hebi knows how to please that crowd.

Yea there is absoultely no dispute that Prucha is the best US Venom, and when he's at his best, he is on a level that can compete with the japanese. He Knows his shit for sure, and he has a load of experience with the character.

I wouldn't take that vid to heart. You have to play differently against Baiken as a rule of thumb. You should watch the Blacksnake vs. Elvenshadow matches for a better idea of what he really plays like (those matches were siiickkkk). All I can say is: Kuro Hebi knows how to please that crowd.

Link?