Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monarch

[CPEX/CF] Nu-13 Strategy Guide

BBCF_Header_Character_Guide.png

Table of Contents:

• Introduction
  • The Basics
  • Neutral Game Breakdown
  • Tips and Tricks
  • Closing

Introduction

Welcome to the Nu-13 strategy guide. The purpose of this guide is to give players who are learning Nu a starting point and offer guidance, while expounding on some of Nu's more technical aspects for experienced players. Obtaining a better understanding of how Nu works as a character and zoner, and her weaknesses and strengths are just a few of the things that I hope you will take away from this guide. If you have something to contribute to the guide, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to include it.

Nu is different than most characters in the cast because her drive serves as a zoning tool to keep the opponent at a distance and away from her. Nu is not only the strongest zoner in the game, but also one of the strongest characters in the CPEX iteration. This is mostly due to how strong her drive is and the options that she has during and after them, her good damage output can also be credited to this. While she may be a strong character, she is not without her weaknesses. Learning how to zone is essential to playing Nu, and without a solid understanding of neutral and matchups, you won't get too far. What's more, she has very few reversal options, making it difficult to get the opponent off of you once they're in: keeping the opponent zoned out is critical to your success. 

Some resources that will assist you include:
BBCPEX Nu-13 Wiki - Useful for explanations on each of Nu's moves
BBCPEX Nu-13 Combos - Combo Resource 
BBCPEX Nu-13 Overdrive Combos - Combo Resource

A little about myself:

Hi, I'm Frost, but some call me Azure as well. I've been playing Blazblue for about four years now, and two characters that I took a liking to first coming into the game were Tsubaki and Lambda. I favor characters that have great mobility, and Tsubaki and Lambda fit that category quite well for me. When Nu returned in CP, I was a bit reluctant to try her because of her new mode change: but I also took a liking to her and Lambda in BBCPEX.  Besides working to better myself as a player, I also want to do everything I can to help those who want to learn the game or a specific character. I don't mind receiving or giving critique, and especially compiling information for the benefit of others. With that being said, I hope you find this guide of use.

The Basics

As I explained previously, at her core, Nu is a zoning character. She is designed to keep the opponent out and chip at their health until they are defeated, but she can be played differently depending on what type of playstyle you have. Strictly zoning, I'll go a bit into the mechanics of her "D" strings.

What separates Nu from Lambda is that she can chain up to four D based normals before she has to jump, special, or teleport cancel if she wants to continue pressuring or comboing the opponent: of course she can also cancel a D attack into any of those options at any time in the string. But after the fourth D attack, she cannot cancel a D directly after the special. So "5DD > 4DD > 5DD > 4DD > 214B > 5DD" would not work, but "5DD > 4DD > 214B > 5DD > 4DD" would.  Additionally, she can delay the followup of an additional D attack, "5D (delay) D". Here is a visual of what was said so far if it sounded confusing on paper. Now that you know how her D strings work, I'll explain a few D blockstrings that you'll be using often and what they can do.

Blockstrings:
  • 5DD > 4DD > 5DD > 4DD - The most basic D blockstring consisting of two 4D overheads, try not to use this too much due to its simplicity. 
  • 5D dl.D > 4D dl.D > 5D dl.D > 4D dl.D - An alternate version of the above blockstring, delaying the additional attack in between D's will keep the opponent on their toes, but can also give them an opportunity to use a super between the gaps of the blockstring. Can also stall for time if you're waiting for gravity seed to recharge. 
  • 5DD > 4DD > 214B > 4DD > 5DD - A blockstring that can catch an opponent off guard due to the double overhead after gravity placement. 
  • 5DD > 4DD > 236D~C - A blockstring that has an overhead and low, some opponents won't expect the low due to how fast it is, and if you condition them to expect a 5DD after a 4DD. (If the opponent instant blocks 4DD, they can jump out of 236~C)
  • 5DD > 4DD > 236[D] > 4DD - A blockstring that catches jump outs, because of the frames after 236[D], if the opponent tries to jump out after it: they'll be caught by the 4DD. 
  • 5DD > 4DD > 5DD > 4DD > 214D~C - Close ranged blockstring used if the opponent tries to punish the recovery animation of 4DD. Preferable over using 236D because you can combo off of a CH 214~C. 
  • 5D > 4D > RC > 4D > RC > 4DD > 5D > 4DD > 5D > 214C > 4DD - Fullscreen blockstring that has five overheads.. for when all else fails and you really need the win.

These are only a few of the blockstrings that you can use, I couldn't list all of them because of the multiple options that you have such as gravity well and spike chaser cancels: those were just meant to give you an idea of what you can do. As you may have noticed, which D normals you can use to extend pressure are quite interchangeable, and you'll get the hang of where to use them in a blockstring as you learn which D is better suited depending on the opponent's range from you. Now that I've explained more about D blockstrings, I'll stress the intricacies behind "how" you use them.

The blockstrings I listed above are not gapless, and can be jumped out of via IB's or disrespected depending on how far away the opponent is. None of Nu's D blockstrings are air-tight technically, and that's a danger that you learn to accept and be aware of while playing her: you must be aware of what can happen depending on the matchup you're facing. I'll give you a universal example of what can happen: 5DD (blocked) > 4DD (blocked) > 236D. During 236D, the opponent can instant air dash while you're in the animation of summoning 236D and punish you with an air normal like Ragna's or Jin's j.C. Of course, that's just one example. Here's a list of characters that can interrupt your D blockstrings with a super.

Characters that can interrupt Nu's D strings with a super:

• Ragna - Carnage Scissors
  • Jin - Touga Hyojin and Yukikaze
  • Celica - Casque Veloute
  • Relius - Vol Tedo
  • Makoto - Big Bang Smash
  • Taokaka - Hexa Edge and I'mma Beat The Crap Outta You
  • Hazama - Eternal Coils of the Dragon Serpent
  • Hakumen - Shippu and Yukikaze
  • Kagura - Supreme Dragon's Inferno
  • Litchi - All Green and All Terminals
  • Terumi - Messenga and Renshouga
  • Izayoi - Justice Phorizer
  • Amane - Rensoukyaku
  • Azrael - Blackhawk Stinger
  • Carl - Arpeggio of Oblivion (OD only)
  • Rachel - Tempest Dahlia
  • Bang - Fatal Eruption Daifunka and Hyper Shadowstep Strike (OD only)
  • Lambda - Calamity Sword (OD only)
  • Nu - Legacy Edge

As you can see, a vast majority of the cast have options to disrespect D strings. With that being said, it's important to be mindful of this and to not autopilot your pressure (and it's very easy to fall into this habit once you get the hang of it). Watch how your opponents react to one D at a time, and center your blockstrings around how your opponents behaves accordingly.

Punishment Game:

Nu's punishment game is great in terms of damage and options, being able to punish opponents with her near full screen D's, and even a fullscreen super punish by using Legacy Edge (236236D). Since her only two FC's are 236[D] and 6C, your main up close punishes would start with 6B: don't go out of your way to use 6C or 236[D] as a starter. If they happen naturally, then work with it. I'll list a few examples to give you an idea of what combos you have at your disposal.

Midscreen Meterless:

• 5DD > 4DD > 5DD > 236D~C > 214C > 5B > 6A > 6C~66> 3C > 214D~C (2699, +22)
  • 6B > 3C > 236D > 214B > 5DD > 4DD > 2DD > JC > j.DD > j.6DD > j.DD > JC > j.2DD > j.DD > j.6DD > j.214D (3599, +30)
  • 6B > 3C > 214~C > 214A > 5C > 6C > 236[D] > 66 > 5DD > 236D~C > 214A > 5DD > 6D > 2DD > JC > j.DD > j.6DD > JC > j.DD > j.6DD > j.214D (4752, +37)

Corner Meterless:

• 6B > 3C > 623C > 214A > 5C > 214D~C > 6B > 6A > 6C > 236[D] > 6D > 2DD > 6D > 2DD > JC > j.6D > j.214D (4430, +33)
  • 6B > 3C > 236D > 214A > 5C > 6C > 236[D] > 5DD > 4DD > 2DD > j.DD > j.6DD > j.DD > JC > j.2DD > j.DD > j.6DD > j,214D (4400, +34)
  • 6B > 3C > 214~C > 214A > 5C > 6C > 236[D] > 6D > 2DD > 6D > 2DD > j.DD > j.6DD > j.DD > JC > j.2DD > j.DD > j.6DD > j.214D (4795, +38)

Useful Tools:

• Pokes: 5D, 5A, 2A, 2B
  • Anti-Air: 6A, 2C, 2D, 6D, 623C
  • Air-to-Air Pokes: j.B, j.D
  • High Attacks: j.214D, j.214[D], 4DD
  • Low Attacks: 2A, 2B, 3C, 236D, 236D~C
  • Neutral Tools: 5D, 6D, 2D, 4D, j.6D, 214D, 214A/B/C, 2B
  • Strong Starters: 6B, FC 236[D], FC 6C

Neutral Game Breakdown

Nu thrives at the long range section of the stage, where she can zone opponents in comfort without worrying about getting hit. There is no matchup where you would want to close the distance between you and your opponent, but there are characters whose gameplan may interfere with yours: (ex. Carl's Doll, Arkaune's Bugs, etc.)

Close Range:
Most of the time this is the place you least want to be if you can help it. Despite your decent pressure options, you have much better options at the long range area. Your options to pressure the opponent include 5B stagger pressure (which you can create "throw reject miss" setups off of), Crescent feints (explained in more detail in "Tips and Tricks"), 2A pressure and TK j.214D or TK j.214[D]. By using 5B stagger pressure, you can get a great confirm off of 5B (as seen in the combos above), which can push the opponent away from Nu, leaving you the options to separate your distance and set up a gravity well or spike chaser. If you can't open the opponent up, then you can opt for a grab, TRM, or 5B > delay 6B blockstring that can punish an opponent trying to punish a throw break during 5B stagger pressure. Using close range j.214[D] during pressure will put you at great frame advantage, allowing you to continue pressure, bait a reversal, or return to neutral. You're vulnerable during the startup of it though, so it's not something to be abused. While j.214D doesn't have frame advantage, it can catch the opponent off guard due to how fast it is, or if the opponent expects you to do j.214[D]. If none of these options work, then you can try to return to neutral by using a blockstring like "5B > 2B > 2C > 214A~44". All of Nu's normals can be cancelled into a gravity well, teleporting after a well can allow you to slow the opponent down long enough for you to return to midscreen. Simple blockstrings like 2B > 5B into an instant air dash backwards followed by j.6D is a good way to keep your opponent alert and afraid to make hasty decisions. Your main objective here is to try and open them up with the aforementioned methods in order to get a knockdown which will allow you to return to long range. If you can't open them up, return to neutral with the use of a close range gravity well into teleport (if you're too predictable with this you can be mashed out of out of gravity), or an instant air dash. 

Visual References:

5B Pressure Setup: Grab
5B Pressure: TRM Setup
5B Pressure: Counter Hit Confirm
5B Pressure: Crescent Feint Mixup
Gravity Seed Blockstring Example
j.214[D] Blockstring Example

Mid Range:
Spacing is key in mid range, as this is the range where you'll need to stop the opponent from getting in on you if they're that close, or where you'll have to air backdash in order to get away. 2B and 3C are great normals to use when you need to play the spacing game, as they can poke an incoming enemy from a pretty good distance, and the confirm you'll get off of it can push the opponent away. You shouldn't be using too many D normals here, as it's hard to assess what the opponent will do without enough space for breathing room. 5D will catch any opponents who rush in carelessly, but they could also IAD or simply jump over it at this range. Anti airs to keep in mind would be 2D, as it will catch most aerial attempts to get in like IAD's and Ragna's Belial Edge, and other specials alike. 6A can also be used, but with only head invul, it must be used with care: the same can also be said for the situational anti-air 623C. 214D~C is also a good special to use when the opponent is at a range where they can't punish the recovery, but could also get hit if they press a button. 

Visual References:

Anti-Air 6A Confirm
2B Confirm
Anti-Air 2D Confirm
Anti-Air 623C Confirm
214D~C Confirm

Long Range:
Long range is where Nu can dominate most of the match from in relative safety, with good reads and reactions. The options at your disposal are plentiful once you get your opponent blocking a D string. Summon a Gravity seed to ensure they'll stay in one spot for a bit longer, or if you think they're getting a bit too jumpy: use spike chaser to make them stay in one spot long enough for you to apply more pressure. You'll want to make sure your spacing with Spike Chaser is on point though, as it can be punished quite easily if you're not cautious, as I stated above. Using the 236D~C is a good way to catch an opponent off guard if they're far away enough from you to the point where 236D~C won't show up on the screen until it hits from behind them. 236[D] is slightly plus just like j.214[D], if successfully blocked, then you can use 4D to prevent an opponent from jumping out of your blockstring. 4D isn't the best answer to this all the time though, if an opponent expects you to use 4D then they can run forward for free and put you at a disadvantage. If you ever feel like your losing the advantage at this range, using 236236D will give you enough time to reset the pace of neutral and get your long range game started again. Your success at this range is determined by what you do after your D strings, and how well you can adapt to the opponent trying to adapt to your zoning style. If you stop their air approaches with 6D very often, you may notice that they'll try and run straight towards you in hopes that you'll whiff 6D. You'll encounter minor adaptions like this in your opponents play after a while, and eventually you won't be trying to fight the character, you'll be trying to think a step ahead of your opponent and beat their mindset. Maintaining the upper hand at this distance is all about keeping your pressure varied and fresh, so that your opponent doesn't know what to expect next. 

Tips & Tricks

Nu has a variety of tricks up her sleeve that allow her to reset the opponent, optimize certain combo routes, or provide okizeme setups. I will go into detail about most of these abilities below.

j.214D~C "Feint" Mixup

Nu has the ability to cancel her j.214D by pressing "C" afterwards, doing so has quite a few uses. By tiger kneeing this during close range pressure, you can create situations where it will be difficult for the opponent to tell whether or not if you will go for a low, overhead, or throw. You can further augment this by using j.214[D], making it even more difficult for the opponent. Feinting can also be used to extend aerial D string combos: by feinting during the first jump cancel after a j.6D,  you can restart the D string without jump cancelling, then jump cancel again and finish the D string combo for a total of three reps instead of the usual two. You can also do this after a 623C, and other proration dependent combos. Outside of combo usage, you can feint a blocked j.6D used in neutral to continue pressure as seen in the "Gravity Seed Blockstring Example" video above. You can also feint a j.214D in order to bait anti-airs: since feinting j.214D stalls your fall time slightly, it can throw off an opponent's previously well timed anti-air. Lastly, you'll come to notice a time when you hit your opponent with 4D at a distance where you can't use 236D~C to combo off of it: by tiger kneeing a crescent cancel during a D string, you can virtually reset your pressure allowing you to put yourself in a better position where you can combo off of an overhead hitting. (This reset is best used at fullscreen distances)

Visual References:

D String Feint Example
j.214D Feint (Baiting Anti-Airs)
D String Feint Reset

Teleporting and when to use it

By pressing "44" or "66" after a blocked or hit "D" button or 6C, Nu will teleport backwards into the air or forward respectively. This is an evasive maneuver used to avoid or get past an opponent who is too close to you. But it can also be used for other things, for example: if you use a forward teleport after a correctly spaced D attack, you can cross up your opponent and hit them with a high, low, or grab them. This can be used as an offensive measure to surprise your opponent, but this teleport is not invincible and you can be hit out of the startup of it: so be careful not to use it too predictably. 6C teleports are mostly combo staples, but if you happen to use it in neutral or if it's blocked, you should consider making up its recovery by teleporting backwards.

Visual References:

Teleport Grab
Teleport Crossup (Low)

214D~C Okizeme Options

A common confirm that you'll get is a ground D string (ex. 5DD > 4DD) into 236D~C > 214C > 5B > 6A > 6C~66 > 3C > 214~C. You have three options after 214~C: TK feint mixup (explained above), 214D, or 236D~C. 214D is an option that you should use if you feel your opponent might try to quick wakeup or roll, your options after a successfully blocked 214D are about the same as they are in any other situation. 236D~C will come out just as the opponent normal techs, forcing them to block low and allowing you enough time to get up close and pressure them or create distance. The problem with 214D and 236D~C is that if the opponent chooses to not tech, then they are rendered useless: which is why a lot of players opt to use TK feint mixup. (j.214[D] after feint mixup loses to rolls) Though this doesn't completely invalidate the use of the two other options, it's up to you to decide which is worth using giving the circumstances. One more important thing to note is that if you land the combo written in the beginning with your back to the corner: use 214B in place of 214C to put the opponent in the corner instead of you. 

Visual References:

214D Okizeme
236D~C Okizeme
TK Feint Mixup Okizeme
D String Sideswap Combo

TK Special Resetting D String Count

As I explained earlier in this guide, Nu can use four D moves in a string before she has to cancel into a special and let the count restart before she can continue her pressure. But, by air cancelling (tiger kneeing) a special in the middle of her combo, she can reset her count without dropping the combo. Take for example this standard corner combo: 5DD > 4DD > 5DD > 4DD > 214D~C > 214A > 6C > 236[D] > 6D > 2DD > JC > j.DD > j.214D, you wouldn't normally be able to use another D attack until after you used 236[D], but this method allows you to do: 5DD > 4DD > 5DD > 4DD > TK 214D~C > 214A > 6D > 2DD > 6D > 2DD > JC > j.DD > JC > j.6DD > j.214D. The advantage to using such a route is that the latter route is burst safe in comparison to the former.

Visual Reference:

TK Special Examples

j.6DD~66 > j.C~j.623C Combo Route

This is a route that increases the overall damage of normal aerial D string routes, but it can be difficult to use without proper timing of j.C~j.623C: doing j.623C immediately after the first hits of j.C can be hard at first. You must also take into the account how far away from the opponent you are when you teleport, some distances are too far to cross or the opponent may be at an awkward angle and the route will not work. In those types of situations it's better to just use the standard D route. This route can work off of almost any combo that involves an aerial D attack (which happens to be most of Nu's combos), I will perform a few of these in video examples below. (j.B is an appropriate substitute for j.C if the timing is too demanding. You can also just use j.623C without the use of j.B or j.C depending on the situation, usually when the opponent is at an odd angle)

Notes:

20 hours ago, Nakkiel said:

CPEX: It's not relatively critical, however I want to note that you should not be using 3C as a combo confirm unless you are Seedless (you should always be confirming in to 214D~C otherwise). The P2 is worse compared to 2C and certain routes are pretty proration sensitive (most notable using j.6D~66~j.B/C routes) and you're losing up to 200-300 damage. It's also worse as a hitconfirm considering 3C is not jump cancelable like 2C is.

For j.6D~66~j.B/C, the choice between j.B or j.C is also character-specific. Generally, skinny characters like Noel, Jin or Litchi will require j.B to keep the link stable.

Visual References:

j.6DD~66 > j.C~j.623C Combo Route (623C Starter)
j.6DD~66 > j.C~j.623C Combo Route (6B Starter)
j.6DD~66 > j.C~j.623C Combo Route (FC 6C Starter)
j.6DD~66 > j.C~j.623C Combo Route (j.214[D] Starter)

Overdrive Combos

Nu's overdrive combos are best suited for situations where you're accommodating for a normal that you can't jump cancel: 3C is a good example because you use it frequently in midscreen combos and it's often an ideal normal the opponent will choose to burst at. By using OD there, you'll be able to maintain momentum without risking the idea that you guessed wrong by trying to bait the burst with an RC. Outside of those scenarios, it's best to use OD when you plan to use the OD version of Calamity Sword: since that's a DD used to secure rounds because of its high damage. The video below will give you more insight into what I mean exactly.

Visual Reference:

Nu-13 Overdrive Combos

Closing

This concludes the guide and everything I feel that newer players should know in order to start them off in the right direction. Regardless if you're experienced or not, I hope this guide was of some assistance to you. If you still have any questions, feel free to PM me or post here. 

CPEX: It's not relatively critical, however I want to note that you should not be using 3C as a combo confirm unless you are Seedless (you should always be confirming in to 214D~C otherwise). The P2 is worse compared to 2C and certain routes are pretty proration sensitive (most notable using j.6D~66~j.B/C routes) and you're losing up to 200-300 damage. It's also worse as a hitconfirm considering 3C is not jump cancelable like 2C is.

For j.6D~66~j.B/C, the choice between j.B or j.C is also character-specific. Generally, skinny characters like Noel, Jin or Litchi will require j.B to keep the link stable.

Looks great - I'll give this a full read later but this seems to build a solid foundation of understanding for those new to the character.

The only thing that jumped out at me is that I'd add that they can act parser not only after any drive move but also 6C in the "Teleporting and when to use it " section.

20 hours ago, Nakkiel said:

Added

12 hours ago, Daramue said:

Looks great - I'll give this a full read later but this seems to build a solid foundation of understanding for those new to the character.

The only thing that jumped out at me is that I'd add that they can act parser not only after any drive move but also 6C in the "Teleporting and when to use it " section.

Slipped my mind entirely since it was implied in an aforementioned combo, thanks.

Agh!    Main v-13 here, but now I have to keep thinking and thinking whether to remain play this character..  it seem most people have jumped shipped... :( 

Why Arc System never actually make a balance game, either nerf too much or buff too much!   They could have at least nerf all the current S tier characters/ buff all the B characters from Arcade version before console version,  I feel that this version of v-13 is unbearable..  T_T