Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suzaku

BlazBlue Setting Material Collection Information

Just info dumping some of the stuff from the BlazBlue Setting Material Collection book. I'll clean up and organize it better later. There will be a mixture of stuff that's new and stuff that's already known, but I'll try to keep it down to just new information.

The book also has 12 short stories, one for each of the playable characters, just like the GG2 Overture Setting Material Collection book. They vary in length, but I'll try and get some of them done. I'll at least do Hakumen's, which is fairly short.

Spoilers follow, naturally.

Ragna the Bloodedge: Spent time in his youth with Jin and Saya in a church, watched over by Nine's younger sister. She was killed by Terumi in 2192, during the attack in which Ragna lost his arm and Saya was kidnapped. Ragna was originally blond with green eyes like Jin, but the trauma of the event turned his hair white. Ragna's weapon is named "Blood-scythe".

Jin Kisaragi: During the attack on the church he changed and joined Terumi. The reasons for this behavior and the circumstances surrounding his adoption by the Kisaragi family are unclear. His Nox Nyctores is named "Ice Sword: Yukianesa".

Noel Vermilion: She was created on December 25, 2194, by Sector Seven as "dimensional boundary contact medium No. 12". Though she was originally fated to die, distortions caused by each iteration of the time loop resulted in the probability of her survival eventually increasing. She was adopted by the Vermilion Family, and her parents are named Edgar and Claire Vermilion, a noble family that lives out on the frontier. Her Nox Nyctores is named "Demon Beasts: Bolverk", which she calls "Demon Guns" (pronounced the same in Japanese).

Rachel Alucard: Exists outside of the time loop, and has watched it for several iterations, so she is familiar with everyone. As an heir to the Alucard family, it is her duty to keep an eye on Terumi. She owns one of the Sankishin, the Tsukuyomi Unit, and also installed the dying Jin in another of the Sankishin, the Susano'o Unit.

Carl Clover: He is pursuing his father, Relius Clover, who's behind the current state of his sister. He has an aunt and uncle, though they aren't named. His Nox Nyctores is named "God Machine: Nirvana", and is an automaton incorporating elements of Ada Clover's body.

Hakumen: The name of his Nox Nyctores is "Evil Slayer: Ookami".

Nu: An Anti-Sankishin unit created to contact the Boundary. The 10th Nox Nyctores, "Sacred Light: Murakumo", is a sword that transforms into armor, and is actually part of her body.

Valkenhayn: One of the Six Heroes. He's keeping track of Terumi along with Rachel, and is an exceptionally strong fighter.

Ada Clover: Carl's older sister, who was incorporated into the Nox Nyctores automaton, Nirvana, known as an Organic Unit, by her father Relius Clover.

The Black Beast: Something "pitch black" caused by the fusion of Ragna and Nu in the Cauldron, which was thrown back in time along with Jin and caused the First War of Magic. Ragna is its body, and Nu is its heart. It's corpse was laid to rest beneath the church with Nine's younger sister as its guardian.

Kokonoe: The daughter of Nine and Jubei. Her mother and aunt were both killed by Terumi, and she wishes to erase Terumi from existance. She hates Hakumen, but cooperates with him because she needs the Susano'o Unit to defeat Terumi and can't figure out how to seperate him from it.

Saya: The younger sister of Ragna and Jin. Her body was frail and she was bullied by Jin, who tried to kill her out of his jealousy for the relationship she and Ragna shared. It's not entirely clear if she's dead or alive, but she was kidnapped by Terumi. She is the origin for both Noel and Nu.

Jubei: One of the Six Heroes. He was the first of the group to meet Hakumen and has known him longer than any of the other Heroes, but it's unclear if he knows his true identity. His Nox Nyctores is "Dream Sword: Musashi".

Nine: A genuine witch and presumably the magician that began teaching humanity about Ars Magus. She was murdered by Terumi because she "knew everything".

Sister: The younger sister of Nine, aunt of Kokonoe, who lived with Ragna, Jin, and Saya in the church while watching over the corpse of the Black Beast. She was killed by Terumi. (Note: She's called "Sister" (シスター, Shisutaa), which may simply refer to either her being Nine's sister, or possibly a nun.)

Hazama: A Captain in the NOL's intelligence department who issues orders to Noel and company. He is actually possessed and controled by Terumi.

Yuuki Terumi: One of the Six Heroes, he is actually a ghost of sorts, currently possessing Hazama. He's a mysterious schemer, and murdered Nine and her younger sister. His Nox Nyctores is named "Dual Snakes: Ouroboros".

Relius Clover: Carl's father and a genius alchemist known as the "Puppeteer". He created Nu's body, and was also responsible for incorporating Ada into Nirvana. He's mysteriously disappeared.

Further reading:

About the Nox Nyctores and Sankishin

More about the Nox Nyctores

The names of the Hierarchical Cities

Story Mode NPC Profiles

Official Short Stories

• Memory of Blue (Ragna the Bloodedge)
  • Purgatory Hell (Jin Kisaragi) - summary
  • THE BLUE (Noel Vermilion) - summary
  • Trust You (Iron Tager)
  • Capricious Us (Taokaka)
  • Endless Waltz (Rachel Alucard)
  • The Diary (Arakune)
  • Borderline (Litchi Faye-Ling)
  • Puppeteers (Carl Clover)
  • Fortune favors the bold (Bang Shishigami)
  • Innocent Black (Hakumen)
  • an evil sign (Nu-13)

Teach Me, Ms. Litchi!

Terminology Guide

Edit (02-16-10): Ragna's official short story, Memory of Blue, completely translated.

Edit (06-22-10): Terminology Guide (1/8) translated. Links to short story summaries added.

Oh this is brilliant! Thank you so much for acquiring this information, Suzaku! I was a bit confused on some parts of BB's story but this made mostly everything clear to me now. Once again, thank you!

This just leads two one question. How the hell does Nu and Ragna become the Black Beast if in the true ending if Ragna is saved by Noel(? I can't really remember)? Does this just mean that there are two time lines that exist one with Ragna falling in and one without?

This just leads two one question. How the hell does Nu and Ragna become the Black Beast if in the true ending if Ragna is saved by Noel(? I can't really remember)? Does this just mean that there are two time lines that exist one with Ragna falling in and one without?

Time loops?

The true ending results in everyone breaking free from the time loop, so Ragna and Nu never become the Black Beast and don't get warped back in time and Jin doesn't become Hakumen.

I wonder if there is an Amaterasu Unit.

Since my post about the Sankishin and the Nox Nyctores seems to be getting lost, I'll repost:

The Sankishin (三輝神, "Three Sacred Treasures") are also known as the Original Units (オリジナルユニット), and served as the inspiration for the Nox Nyctores, though little else is known about them.

First is the Amaterasu Unit (アマテラスユニット), also known as the Master Unit (マスターユニット). Its whereabouts and owner are unknown. It's named after Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess.

Second is the Susano'o Unit (スサノヲユニット), owned by Hakumen, who also weilds a Nox Nyctores, implying that he has extraordinary strength. Its full capacity is unknown, though it seems that Hakumen's soul is bound to it; when Jin was on the verge of death, Rachel installed him into the Unit. Because he was not fully salvaged from the Edge (狭間, Hazama), he's apparantly operating at only about 20% of his full capacity. It's named after Susano'o, the Storm God.

Third is the Tsukuyomi Unit (ツクヨミユニット), owned by Rachel. It's described as an ultimate defense and resembles a giant golden shield. It's named after Tsukuyomi, the Moon God.

The Nox Nyctores causality weapons, (事象兵器アークエネミーJishou Heki Arch Enemy, "Arch Enemy causality weapons") are a set of ten weapons. The first nine were created during the First War of Magic based on the Sankishin, to combat the Black Beast. Only those with the highest proficiency in the Proper Use of Ars Magus can wield them, and even then, there is a signifigant risk of mental burden on the user. It's said that the Nox choose their masters.

One of the primary functions of Nox Nyctores is to unburden their owners of "needless" emotions and enhance others; this has a profound effect, for example eliminating feer, but owners may also find themselves losing their compassion, remorse, etc..

Among the Nox Nyctores, the Murakumo Unit is unique in that it was produced after the Dark War, and is actually an Anti-Sankishin Core Unit (対三輝紳コアユニット, "Tai-Sankishin Core Unit"), created in a Cauldron (窯, Kama) as a means to make contact with the Boundary (境界, Koukai), where its soul exists. During the Ikaruga Federation's 12th attempt to produce one, together with a Sector Seven research team, the experiment was interrupted by an attack from Take-Mikazuchi and that resulted in the creation of Noel, in an incomplete state. Afterwards, three base bodies were stolen from the NOL and Nu was created in Kagutsuchi. Ragna's already destroyed the two others.

No. 01 - Highlander: Take-Mikazuchi (巨人(ハイランダー)・タケミカヅチ)

- Owned by the NOL. Its form is that of an attack satellite. The kanji for Highlander is literally "Giant" and is localized as "Gigant". Take-Mikazuchi is a Japanese thunder god and patron saint of warriors.

No. 02 - Hyouken: Yukianesa (氷剣(ヒョウケン)・ユキアネサ, "Ice Sword: Yukianesa")

- Owned by Jin. Its form is that of a Japanese sword. Hyouken is localized as "Mucro Algesco". Yukianesa, "snow woman", is a Japanese fairy.

No. 03 - Majuu: Bolverk (魔獣(マジュウ)・ベルヴェルク, "Demon Beasts: Bolverk")

- Owned by Noel. Its form is that of a pair of handguns. Noel calls them Demon Guns (魔銃, Majuu), localized as Arcus Diabolus. Bolverk is Odin, disguised in his human form.

No. 04 - Kishin: Nirvana (機神(キシン)・ニルヴァーナ, "God Machine: Nirvana")

- Owned by Carl. Its form is that of an automaton. Kishin is localized as "Deus Machina". Nirvana is a transendant state of enlightenment and tranquility in Buddhism.

No. 05 - Mujin: Musashi (夢刀(ムジン)・六三四(ムサシ), "Dream Sword: Musashi")

- Owned by Jubei. Its form is a pair of kodachis, one stored in each end of the sheath. Its apparantly named after Musashi from the kendo manga/anime series "Musashi no Ken" (note: this is not the same kanji as the legendary Miyamoto Musashi).

No. 06 - Zanma: Ookami (斬魔(ザンマ)・鳴神(オオカミ), "Evil Slayer: Ookami")

- Owned by Hakumen. Its form is that of a nodachi. Ookami means "Howling God".

No. 07 - Raigou: Muchourin (雷轟(ライゴウ)・無兆鈴(ムチョウリン), "Roaring Thunder: Muchourin")

- Its owner and form are unknown. Muchourin means, very roughly, "Untolled Bell" (or more literally, "bell without omens").

No. 08 - Jasou: Ouroboros (蛇双(ジャソウ)・ウロボロス, "Dual Snakes: Ouroboros")

- Owned by Terumi. Its form is unknown. Ouroboros is the symbol of a snake eating or biting its own tail. Jasou refers to a "set" or "pair".

No. 09 - Houyoku: ??? (鳳翼(ホウヨク)・???, "Phoenix Wing: ???")

- Its owner, name, and form are all unknown.

No. 10 - Shinki: Murakumo (神輝(シンキ)・ムラクモ, "Sacred Light: Murakumo")

- Owned by Nu. Its form is that of huge sword that can transform into armor; it's actually Nu's true form. Murakumo means "Gathering Clouds", derived from Ame no Murakumo no Tsurugi, the "Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven".

Edit (10-28-09): Updated terminology to more closely follow the official localization.

The true ending results in everyone breaking free from the time loop, so Ragna and Nu never become the Black Beast and don't get warped back in time and Jin doesn't become Hakumen.

So Hakumen ceases to exist? If so why would Kokonoe decide to work with him if she figured it all out?

So Hakumen ceases to exist? If so why would Kokonoe decide to work with him if she figured it all out?

There's no reason that Hakumen shouldn't just continue to exist in the present timeline, alongside the present Jin.

I guess, it just seems like the story is breaking its own rules by allowing Haku-men to exist.

if they pull out hakumen i'm gonna :arg:

and yeah i think he can exist... since he's from another timeline i guess it doesn't matter too much. unless he like went into the time warp AGAINNN as haku... so there were like two.. and he did that every time... and then there are like 20 by the time the wheel of fate is broken :psyduck:

I guess, it just seems like the story is breaking its own rules by allowing Haku-men to exist.

Think of it like this. Hakumen was brought towards the current time. Since he was in the boundary it means he exists in the current timeline. The time loop was stopped and Jin didn't go back in time to become Hakumen again, BUT a past Jin did become Hakumen and is alive right now. So in reality, since they are from two different instances of existence, they are allowed to exist among each other. This Jin now no longer has the future of becoming Hakumen and is a separate Jin from the one fated to be Hakumen.

Not sure if that was clear enough but yeah, 2 Jins from different timelines.

Great stuffs here. Yeah, Hakumen and Jin can be considered as different existences. The extra infos about the Nox Nyctores is interesting. Perhaps the unknown ones will show up in the future games? The Muchourin, doesn't one of the Six in Hakumen's arcade ending carry a bell-like object as well? Funny that Nu's actually the giant sword, but it works. Can't wait to see more.

... Why is there a time loop to begin with? Is Ragna and Nu's joining the end of the time loop and it resets? Or... something?

Lots of TIME PARADOX. That's just how it is. What confuses me is if Ragna & Nu didn't become the Black Beast, then there wouldn't have been a war, then there wouldn't have been the Six Heroes, then no one would have learned how to use Ars Magus... from there my mind just stops. I guess parallel existences can be used to account for this too though....

^ Ragna and Nu from a past timeline became the Black Beast. The Nu and Ragna in the True End time line are also different instances of existence and are not the same Nu and Ragna as the other ones. Also, it's nice to know that Terumi and Valk are the six heroes definitely instead of just speculating.