Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jais

Raven Q & A

Feel free to ask any questions regarding Raven, here. :eng101: If you are asking a question, please bold your text. :eng101: If you are answering a question, please quote the question. This will make it a lot more user friendly for new players to the scene. Thanks.

How do you make the yoyo stop in place on its way back

**Hit Me:**
**Can you bait DPs with Hit Me?:**
Yes, if you absorb an attack, you are not considered in hitstun or blockstun, so the opponent cannot RRC.
**Can you absorb bursts?:**
Yes, but the game will treat it like a gold burst and the opponent will gain 100% tension and burst gauge back.
**Can you absorb unblockables?:**
Yes, including Faust's Hack 'n Slash and Potemkin's Slide Head. However, Bedman's sheep super can still stun you.
**Are status effects applied when you absorb a move?:**
No. Absorbing Faust's poison will not poison you and Bacchus Sigh will not put mist on you. Also Faust's platform will not launch you!
**Is Hit Me damage affected by guts?:**
Yes, although it is unscaled.
**Does getting hit during Hit Me start put you in counter-hit state?:**
Yes.

**Excitement Gauge:**
**Which specials get different properties after getting filling up the excitement meter?**
Command grab becomes easier to combo from: <https://twitter.com/NateHawke/status/733262460828913664>
Scratch does more damage: <https://twitter.com/NateHawke/status/732956393439940608>
And Stab Super has more hits, the higher level you are.
In addition to special moves, Raven gets an overall damage buff listed here: <https://twitter.com/kedako_faital/status/736239510678175749>
**Does excitement go down over time?:**
No.
**How should we count excitement gauge levels?:**
We will be calling the empty excitement gauge level 1. So counting from 1-3.

**Airdash:**
**How does cancelling the airdash so that you fall work?:**
First of all, check out this infographic: <https://twitter.com/gg_keeponrockin/status/735846824834011137>
Sometimes it's difficult to fall out of the airdash because it was started too low. There weren't enough downward pointing arrows for you to cancel at.
**How do you fall after the opponent blocks the glide attack?:**
You must make contact with the opponent early enough in the airdash to be still going in a downwards direction and then cancel into a whiffed jump normal. This usually means you have to start fairly high up when you glide, but not so high that your jump normal makes contact. The way I do it is forward jump and complete the airdash motion at the apex of the jump.

**How do I unlock Raven?:**
Raven comes with online pre-orders for free, but if you didn't get him, you can unlock him via in-game currency, fish for him or buy unlock DLC.

**Do Raven's projectiles go away when he gets hit?:**
Yes.

**Can you airdash after a double jump?:**
No, Raven's airdash uses up an air action, so after a double jump, you can't airdash and after an airdash you can't jump cancel.

**Is it possible to FD break with j.2K?:**
No.

**Is Raven's instant kill a strike or a throw?:**
It is a strike.

**Do Raven's needles slow down the opponent's normals?:**
No. It only affects movement speed.

*if you don't see your question, ask in here!*

11 hours ago, o Nereus o said:

Is there anywhere i can get Raven's frame data?

Some frame data from the JP Line chat was posted in the Discord server. Hope it is fine if I just repost it here

Spoiler

Jump 3F
Ground dash Complete invul 10F~26F

特殊技(Command Normals)
6P 9F (-16F)
4P 5F (-1F)
6HS 20F (-4F)
J2K 12F
滑空(Glide) 21F (Cancellable on 17F)

通常技(立ち) (Standing normals)
5P 7F (-5F)
5K 7F (-5F)
c.S 8F/19F (+2F)
遠S(f.S) 10F (-10F)
HS 10F/13F (-12F)
D 27F (-1F)

通常技(しゃがみ)(Crouching normals)
2P 6F (-2F)
2K 7F (-1F)
2S 9F (-5F)
2HS 15F (-12F)
2D 9F (-10F)

通常技(ジャンプ)(Jumping normals)
JP 6F
JK 8F
JS 7F
JHS 9F/15F/21F
JD 8F/13F

Special Moves:
波動(236)P 13F(-9F)(密着時)
空中波動(236PK) 21F(密着時。PKで変わらず角度だけ違う)
波動(236)S 17F (-3F) 空中波動(236)S 12F
コマ投げ(Command throw) 27F、
対空版(Anti-air version) 20F
波動(236)HS 46F (+41F)
空中波動(J236)HS 54F
ここされ(Hit me) 5F(Before armor activates)目からアーマー?当身?判定

覚醒(Overdrives)
爪(Stab) 7F+1F (-55F)
突進(Dash) 7F+2F (-29F)
※暗転までのフレーム+発生(Start up + first frame active)

3 hours ago, Danaiden said:

Some frame data from the JP Line chat was posted in the Discord server. Hope it is fine if I just repost it here

Reveal hidden contents

Jump 3F
Ground dash Complete invul 10F~26F

特殊技(Command Normals)
6P 9F (-16F)
4P 5F (-1F)
6HS 20F (-4F)
J2K 12F
滑空(Glide) 21F (Cancellable on 17F)

通常技(立ち) (Standing normals)
5P 7F (-5F)
5K 7F (-5F)
c.S 8F/19F (+2F)
遠S(f.S) 10F (-10F)
HS 10F/13F (-12F)
D 27F (-1F)

通常技(しゃがみ)(Crouching normals)
2P 6F (-2F)
2K 7F (-1F)
2S 9F (-5F)
2HS 15F (-12F)
2D 9F (-10F)

通常技(ジャンプ)(Jumping normals)
JP 6F
JK 8F
JS 7F
JHS 9F/15F/21F
JD 8F/13F

Special Moves:
波動(236)P 13F(-9F)(密着時)
空中波動(236PK) 21F(密着時。PKで変わらず角度だけ違う)
波動(236)S 17F (-3F) 空中波動(236)S 12F
コマ投げ(Command throw) 27F、
対空版(Anti-air version) 20F
波動(236)HS 46F (+41F)
空中波動(J236)HS 54F
ここされ(Hit me) 5F(Before armor activates)目からアーマー?当身?判定

覚醒(Overdrives)
爪(Stab) 7F+1F (-55F)
突進(Dash) 7F+2F (-29F)
※暗転までのフレーム+発生(Start up + first frame active)

Just a note: 5P appears to actually be -6 instead of -5; similarly 6H appears to be -8 and not -4.

I'd like to add a question here since I spent some time playing around with Raven in training mode. I went through the Raven notes from noraneko that someone posted here earlier: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s296/sh/f5d7fda2-5ab2-4c88-bd44-8e76b176e7e7/22cabd906a4c255f922fa28aa5098fc9

I was looking specifically at Raven's options after scoring a knockdown and the notes list the following in the setplay section:

Raven setplay:
after hitting with the tip of 2D>236H>superjump airdash:
>airdash hits, gatling (overheads)
>cancel airdash into j.K, land 2K (high, low)
>cancel airdash into j.H (j.H whiffs), 2K (low)
(cancel airdash refers to cancelling the vertical part of the airdash into normals)

The superjump airdash looks like it works pretty well, but I find it a bit tricky to space sometimes. What I'm having problems with is making j.H whiff to land and go into an immediate low with 2K. I can do it fine with j.P if you do it early and I found that I can do it with j.H if I do very late, but only if the opponent is crouching and doesn't have a big hitbox. I also noticed that if they are crouching you can, depending on your timing with whiffing j.H and superjump angle, sometimes also land behind them for a really quick 2K crossup.

So I guess my question is, can someone tell me if it's possible to do the superjump airdash j.H whiff into low if the opponent is standing? I just can't seem to do it without j.H hitting, no matter my timing. Perhaps my spacing is bad, but I've tried superjumping both straight up as well as backwards but I can't get the j.H whiff to happen. It's easy to do with j.P, but that one is a lot more telegraphed since you need to do it early.

edit: Gave up on the super jump. I guess I'll just do regular jumps instead since I can get that to work consistently.

On 2016-06-03 at 9:39 PM, ramzar266 said:

Someone mentioned Raven having a safe jump setup? Anyone have footage or notation for it?

https://twitter.com/Mefi_Nidhoeggr/status/735530239342878721/video/1

On 2016-06-04 at 1:25 AM, SQNR said:

I'd like to add a question here since I spent some time playing around with Raven in training mode. I went through the Raven notes from noraneko that someone posted here earlier: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s296/sh/f5d7fda2-5ab2-4c88-bd44-8e76b176e7e7/22cabd906a4c255f922fa28aa5098fc9

I was looking specifically at Raven's options after scoring a knockdown and the notes list the following in the setplay section:

The superjump airdash looks like it works pretty well, but I find it a bit tricky to space sometimes. What I'm having problems with is making j.H whiff to land and go into an immediate low with 2K. I can do it fine with j.P if you do it early and I found that I can do it with j.H if I do very late, but only if the opponent is crouching and doesn't have a big hitbox. I also noticed that if they are crouching you can, depending on your timing with whiffing j.H and superjump angle, sometimes also land behind them for a really quick 2K crossup.

So I guess my question is, can someone tell me if it's possible to do the superjump airdash j.H whiff into low if the opponent is standing? I just can't seem to do it without j.H hitting, no matter my timing. Perhaps my spacing is bad, but I've tried superjumping both straight up as well as backwards but I can't get the j.H whiff to happen. It's easy to do with j.P, but that one is a lot more telegraphed since you need to do it early.

edit: Gave up on the super jump. I guess I'll just do regular jumps instead since I can get that to work consistently.

I also use regular jumps.

Against 6P's, you're going either have to not do it or cancel into j.S for the deeper hitting hitbox. To whiff against high blitz, I like using j.H but some others like j.K. Even j.S is probably fine, but j.P is fairly difficult to do and j.D has landing recovery so don't do those ones.

If you're doing a ball setup and baiting blitz, you're going to have to make sure you're not within range during the third hit of the ball, or else charged blitz will reject you by proximity.

On 6/8/2016 at 11:37 PM, MoralHazardPay said:

What's the best way to whiff the airdash and go low?

I've found it's a bit easier to whiff j.2K or j.H after swoop so Raven can land early and go for another mixup. On a side note I think someone really should start a combo thread for Raven. I would also suggest a social thread but I kinda feel this Q&A thread has become that. :v: 

On 6/10/2016 at 0:27 AM, Zilvake said:

I've found it's a bit easier to whiff j.2K or j.H after swoop so Raven can land early and go for another mixup. On a side note I think someone really should start a combo thread for Raven. I would also suggest a social thread but I kinda feel this Q&A thread has become that. :v: 

I'll do a lot of clean-up in another week or so, still waiting for this character to get vetted out. I am not the mod of this forum so I'm a little limited on what I can do without a large amount of effort. I plan on mirroring my Bridget forum as far as topics etc. Should be good, I'm always open to suggestions too :)

Is there a trick to Raven's air to ground combos off an airdash? The pros make it look so easy but it seems no matter how much I try the combo doesn't continue as Raven lands. It's a part of my game I really want to master since I plan on using this character

Do a 4 hits air dash combo (air dash (1) > j.S (2) > j.P (3) > j.S (4))  then press S immediately (or after a very small delay), raven will perform a c.S on landing thanks to the buffer. Works great.

You can also do j.S > j.H (2 hits) but it's a little bit harder as you will have to delay more.

Are there any moves that 'break' or bypass the 'HIT ME' stance? I see in the questions that 'Bedman's sheep super kan still stun you.' but is there anything else significant.

What are some good command grab resets you've found to be effective?

Most of the videos I've found are week one, any favorites you use for reference? Personally I learn these types of things better by reading about them. 

Mainly interested in the air command grab resets, but really anything you think worth mentioning would be appreciated.

So after running the tables at my local meetup for some time using this character, people have started just chicken blocking my swoops.  What do I do against this?  Cancel dash, jump and air grab?  Or is my timing just too loose?

EDIT: To clarify, this is airdashing in neutral, not on oki.