Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SandyBelle

[CS1] Lambda General Discussion

I agree with Skye here, giving lambda a safe panic move other than her burst would negate her intended weakness.

I rather think they've done a fine job rebalancing top tier Nu into lambda without really changing how she plays for the most part. I also like the way they managed to add two whole new characters and make them mid tier.

Now if only they hadn't been so heavy handed with Rachel.

I'm not sure if you can call it a safe panic move. But if it makes you feel better i will take a very large punishable (ragna infernal divider) reversal srk over a 10-12sec cool down..

That's the thing though... They didn't want Lambda to have rush-forward moves along with a DP. DPs are usually AA also, remember? Lambda has her D swords, a reversal, rush-fowards and decent melee which can always chain into a 236B for push-away. She's incredibly solid. Leave her be. She's awesome.

Well, with that character rebalance coming, we have to expect something new- hopefully not another nerf: "You can't jump cancel any of your D moves, 6A, or 2C!" If that happens, I would cry.

...when are they going to introduce Forced Rapid Cancels? x.x

Axis and I agreed that if BB has FRCs, the game would descend into lunacy.

As awesome as that sounds, BB is not GG, and I don't want it to be too similar to GG, otherwise, I'd just play GG.

It'd be really silly if they did, though. But at least Gold Bursts don't give 100 Heat and Heat charging is much harder in CS.

However, I did happen to play The Midnight Carnival recently and it was extremely difficult playing Dizzy with half a moveset (when you look at AC+). I can see how far GG has come.

V-13 is back babY!!! I knew she could not get owned like that.

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Lambda may be doing good, but she's nowhere near, and I'm disappointed in anyone who wants a comparison to even exist.

Players who have had extensive gameplay with Lambda should create a topic with useful and viable gimmicks. They don't win games alone, but they certainly help with mind games, I'd really love to see them; stuff like TK cresent and Teleportation is gimmicky, now I wanna see what she has to really to show her stuff. She certainly has the tools, I wanna see the creative things she can do in battle

Gimmicks..... Use 4D as an overhead and then follow in with 236B.

That's AI grade tactics right there.

TK 214DC 214D before landing. Only works on people who block 214DC 3C consistently :psyduck:

2147D on people blocking a 236D when they can't remember that it's not a low hit anymore.

these arent gimmicks, just bad ideas :(

Isn't that the same thing? If they were better than bad idea, then they'd be good ideas, if they were good ideas they wouldn't be gimmicky.

Isn't that the same thing? If they were better than bad idea, then they'd be good ideas, if they were good ideas they wouldn't be gimmicky.

No. Nu/Lambda's TK mindgames themselves are gimmicks, and they're pretty damn viable. Reria loved that gimmick

Tager has tons of gimmicks and resets

Jin has tons of gimmicks, one that pops in my head is instead of finishing a corner combo he goes for a jab and grabs into another 3000-4000 damage combo if the opponent resets in the air, wasn't that something Ren liked to do?

Not sure why you're being so condescending, some gimmicks are viable and you do see good players use them partially as mixups (more from American players, the Japanese play it safe).

Even purposely leaving some holes in your blockstrings to do some more pressure and mixups is a gimmick itself

I was giving deliberately bad responses to a question. Should be pretty obvious trolling. Do you prefer it if I add smileys?

No, but thanks for totally being useful in the Lambda boards

Pretty frustrating. Have you guys checked the other board sections for the other BBCT/CS characters? Their communities are a lot more helpful in general than the Nu/Lambda boards. They also share more ideas and support one another, kinda discouraging to be in the Lambda boards, it's like this board is only good for learning the combo's and that's it, even the matchup info is lacking

Not really sure why you felt the need to troll me and be an ass when I thought it'd be a good idea to share ideas of gimmicks, pressure resets, etc. Sometimes these things aren't easily seen on vids without some explanation to them, etc.

No, but thanks for totally being useful in the Lambda boards

Pretty frustrating. Have you guys checked the other board sections for the other BBCT/CS characters? Their communities are a lot more helpful in general than the Nu/Lambda boards. They also share more ideas and support one another, kinda discouraging to be in the Lambda boards, it's like this board is only good for learning the combo's and that's it, even the matchup info is lacking

Not really sure why you felt the need to troll me and be an ass when I thought it'd be a good idea to share ideas of gimmicks, pressure resets, etc. Sometimes these things aren't easily seen on vids without some explanation to them, etc.

I'm not too sure.. Lambda isn't much of a gimmicks type of character. As you said Jin has plenty of gimmicks/resets, and DEFINITELY more so with Ginsengs Tsubaki. If you watch his matches, it is absolutely gimmick/reset/fake out tastic.

Really, the only kind of gimmick I know is like 3c -> 236a -> 4b. If they recover as fast as possible the overhead sorta jukes them out. I dunno :/ at least that's what Goryus taught me. Of course, don't abuse this.

It is true that the other forums are much more informative.. I dunno what we can do about that. Unless they're hardcore nu/lambda players, most people use her just to win matches.:/

Protip: talk DIRECTLY to the people who know the character. Idle #blazblue or something. Asking/giving advice for gameplay on these boards is (almost) meaningless.

I wouldn't be too concerned with gimmicks... usually they require something from your opponent that you can't control: tech timing/direction, air "unblockables", RESPECT... D:

Absolutely. Gimmicks are all about preference and play-style.

What works for one person, might not work for someone else. On top of that, there's a billion different things the character can do that can result in a billion different things depending on what your opponent does. That's why it's difficult to flesh out what gimmicks there are and what gimmicks work without sounding silly. Then there's that additional layer of "oh that was stupid" or "why did that work" stuff, so in reality, it's all just better to avoid that, especially since Lambda is easily one of the strongest characters when played solidly. After all, even top players in Japan drop combos and aren't always shooting for the most optimized stuff. Shit is hard.

If you had a specific question about a certain gimmick ("when should I try to tk overhead?") or what happened in X video ("what the fuck was that?"), you should definitely ask. That way, there's always a definite answer, instead of "here's this bag of tricks I use, if you like them you can try them".

In fact, this is the thread to do that.

j214DC leads into a lot of solid "gimmicks", you can fake into a low or double fake into a high, iad approach or retreat, or fake into a grab. If you want a mindgame, Crescent Saber is the first and biggest mindgame to master.

One of my favorite gimmicks is iad at the opponent when they're trying to aerial approach. If you're fast enough or they're caught off guard, you can grab them out of an attack they just inputted, so you can get a throw counter- otherwise you'll get hit.

If your opponent is on the opposite side of the screen, just cycle between 5D, 5DD, 6D, 6DD, 214D© and 236D©. 4D and 4DD I find a little risky and 236A/B may have their moments. But if they're this far away from you, your opponent is watching your every movement for an opening, so not a lot of the stuff works.

Edit: Instead of looking to general for mindgames or gimmicks, someone can make a Discussion solely based on Lambda Strategy and Mindgames.

Thanks for the reply, Xie

I totally agree with ya that gimmicks shouldn't be purely relied on, and what will work on one opponent won't work on others. I was watching Minori and he knocked down Kahn, did an early 236A and nailed him with the second part of 4B.

I'm not a fan of 4B though so not too sure I'd use something like that

I'm totally about abusing TKs and TK feints in CT and hoping to bring that to CS. It's really gimmicky and has risk, but if you instill enough fear the reward outweights the risk. I'm hoping there's some neat tricks to abuse in CS, I know there's gotta be some potential to abuse some things and have it work moderately well consistently. Hell, I'm waiting to test out oki games of TK feint>236C and the likes of that. 2B>dash>grab is one of my favorite gimmicks, it's so high risk but it's rarely ever punished except by scrubs desperately mashing

I think Keir mentioned not hitting the opponent with 236D in the air and rushing to them on the ground with a 6A in hopes of anti airing them. Haven't tested this one so it could be a garbage idea for all I know

I just see some of the better players on live and the pro's throw a few out once in a while, and I feel like it's an important aspect to incorporate. Not to say it should be abused or relied on, but it makes players stronger. We should definitely decide on some resets and gimmicks that are viable and use them. I loved Reria's gimmicky CT Nu and I certainly am heavily influenced from PSN's Nu Dotsafety, he got me into being a rushdown Nu with gimmicks that don't involve Act pulser.

I was hoping to find more vids of Pulsr's Nu/Lambda, he's really aggressive, I'm sure he uses some gimmicks (wisely and sparingly, of course).

I was actually having a lot more fun watching Pulsr's Lambda and the Taiwan Lambda, they were more wreckless than Minori's but much more entertaining to watch, Minori just plays really safe and solid (but way above most of the JP Lambda's)

Plenty of tricks to be done with the act parser zwei. You have there a feint/low/heavy mixup there. So long as you aren't doing it from neutral (you'll just get thrown/stuffed) you can play some interesting mix ups, particularly if you're willing to spend 50% heat on an RC:

236B RC 2147D for a low high switch

236C RC 44 ... (Counter what the enemy does on their frame advantage)

236A B+C, seen this feint used at high level a bit. The guy using it waited until he had his opponent feeling the pressure before trying it though.

I'm totally about abusing TKs and TK feints in CT and hoping to bring that to CS. It's really gimmicky and has risk, but if you instill enough fear the reward outweights the risk. I'm hoping there's some neat tricks to abuse in CS, I know there's gotta be some potential to abuse some things and have it work moderately well consistently. Hell, I'm waiting to test out oki games of TK feint>236C and the likes of that. 2B>dash>grab is one of my favorite gimmicks, it's so high risk but it's rarely ever punished except by scrubs desperately mashing

RESPECT... D:

You won't get a lot in some matchups.

Also, the stuff you're saying is pure mixup... not gimmicks. Tick throws are tick throws, and high/lows are high/lows. Once you play CS you'll realize that her Pulsar's can be stuffed by pretty much anything and are only good to throw out in certain situations: 236C as an AA, 236A as a gap closer > throw if your opponent respects you (into high/low/throw if they REALLY respect you), and 236B if your opponent thinks 4DD is coming or just likes to block your D strings high OR is holding 7/8/9 in an attempt to jump out of 5DD.

I think Keir mentioned not hitting the opponent with 236D in the air and rushing to them on the ground with a 6A in hopes of anti airing them. Haven't tested this one so it could be a garbage idea for all I know

Wiffing 236D in order to make them jump at you? You're better off doing 214D/214DC since it covers more of the screen. If you're banking on them not to barrier then you're taking a risk by running to them. 214D/DC is an easy hitconfirm and harder to jump over/really safe on block.

Also, since you're from PA, have you tried to contact stunedge to play? PA is a large state, but you have cabinets in Pittsburgh PA/Dunellen NJ/Manhattan NY. You should try to make it to one of these locations if you're really itching to play.

I think you also need to keep in mind that gimmicks are generally referred to as a "mixup" or just some sort of pressure where there is no actual mixup.

It's a gimmick because there are no other options or ways to mix the gimmick up, once the opponent learns the gimmick, theoretically it should never trick them again. So, if your "gimmick" has other options you can use to punish your opponent for trying to block it in the first place, it's not really a gimmick at all!