Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slowpoke

[CS1] Carl Clover Tactical Discussion/Questions/Help

b/c it hit nirvana. I still eat stuff like this occasionally. Attacks stay active during hitstun & hitstop... it's possible he should have gold bursted, the allegreto shoved him even further int o the corner

Yeah, I thought about the gold burst.

That's probably what I would've went for.

Or not resetting the combo to begin with and just using rhapsody of memories to try ftw. >.>

Actually what he did is normally fine (although superjumping would have been better). For some reason Nirvana was hit multiple times. Depending on everyone's position the super usually hits Nirvana once (I believe) which in return causes the attackbox of the move to disappear before Carl lands. Obviously this was not the case.

Alright guys, another one of my crazy theorize, although I seem to remember this being verified at one point.

There's a glitch in SFII###whatever, where a swep and a projectile hit an opponent on the exact same frame. This negates the KD.

I've always found it shitty that all or Carl's FC launch, I want a FC that leaves my opponent on the ground, (Crouching or standing).

Anyone try these on first frame?

FC J.B/FC 2C and 6]D[/3]D[/8]D[

I'm barely starting to learn Carl, I've played against ZONG many times and am inspired by him, but I have many major problems,One happens to be I have no idea how to control Nirvana whilst doing a combo. I just want to ask, how does one do this?

rofl. <3

Start by holding D almost all the time when doing stuff.

When you become more advanced, you'll recognize when you can activate/deactivate in combos to save meter, but that's not important yet.

Also, during 5B>6B, or 5C, 623C, or allegretto, etc, you can buffer nirvana movements.

Carl has a lot of moves where directions can be buffered and it won't matter.

If you're looking for a place to start, I'd recommend getting summon bnb down. Full combo depends on starter, but just make sure you can get what I bold.

Typical 2A bnb:

2A > 2B > 3C[D] > 22]D[ > IAD j.2C~214C[D] > j.B > j.C~8]D[ > 8D hits > ([D]j.2C~2]D[ > j.C > 2D hits) x2 > [D]j.2C~2D > j.B > 2D hits > [D]j.2C > Allegretto ~ 8]D[

[D] is hold D.

]D[ is release D.

These will be omitted from a lot of combos you'll find, as most of us here are familiar with activation points.

3C > summon is staple for Carl's game. Learn it.

Okay gais my mom is leaving the country tomorrow. She worked me hella hard the time she spent here. I will be semi free once I drop her off at the airport tomorrow. So I can finally update the reset thread I promised I would update like a month ago, and hopefully get back on here to give input/ideas. Man I can't wait.

Okay gais my mom is leaving the country tomorrow. She worked me hella hard the time she spent here. I will be semi free once I drop her off at the airport tomorrow. So I can finally update the reset thread I promised I would update like a month ago, and hopefully get back on here to give input/ideas. Man I can't wait.

+hype.

@ zong's post: lmao now i think about it it can be very hard for new comers to understand us when we're talking about strats/combos cause we omit activation/deactivation points, places where you have to buffer in the nirvana move to get a desired effect, and most times we write combos the way they are seen and not how they are done (like 2D loop is written like j.2C j.C 2D instead of j.2C]D[ j.C, or during a 4D combo after 4D hits we would write dash 5C sjc j.B dj.2C allegretto 8D when it's really performed like.....dj.2C 8D allegretto)

Lol, then again it can be so hard to always have to include those, since carl players would understand when to input moves. I guess that's what this thread is for :)

EDIT

This is especially crucial with his resets where you have such a small window to buffer in stuff and you have to know exactly when to activate nirvana so that her move comes out in sync with your making the window for escape as small as possible for your opponent. That's why I'm happy that I've been able to link most of the resets to vids. most of us would understand but new comers would be at a loss of when things should be done

Basic rule, GGJ: on D moves, where they are written is where they will hit, not when they are performed.

(^_^) The more you know.

Alright guys, another one of my crazy theorize, although I seem to remember this being verified at one point.

There's a glitch in SFII###whatever, where a swep and a projectile hit an opponent on the exact same frame. This negates the KD.

I've always found it shitty that all or Carl's FC launch, I want a FC that leaves my opponent on the ground, (Crouching or standing).

Anyone try these on first frame?

FC J.B/FC 2C and 6]D[/3]D[/8]D[

I'm barely starting to learn Carl, I've played against ZONG many times and am inspired by him, but I have many major problems,One happens to be I have no idea how to control Nirvana whilst doing a combo. I just want to ask, how does one do this?

theoretically your ideas could work considering how Carl can stop the opponent from launching from any of Nirvana's launching moves. The problem is you would need nirvana to already be doing her attack long before you eve press j.B. Besides do you have ideas for ground combos that could compete with his juggle combos, damage wise?

The trouble with juggles as far as i can see is that the best ones only come off of starters that are not easily obtainable without first getting a good ground set up, and furthermore juggles are very specific on spacing. Also at this current junction, carls juggle potential is pretty well fleshed out. Personaly i think carl's ground game is an area worth exploring, Especially strange things that deviate from what people expect. If you are expecting to get launched then suddenly you are in a ground string it's going to throw your focus. Mind Games are always important.

And touching on damage, 2 ground resets = 3 seperate 2-3k combos so between 6-9k damage.

So the question is should we go for resets or big damage? I really wanna go for both.

Of course there are situational unblockable setups as well. And I'm not just talking about high/lows. I'm also talking about doing an aerial blockstring on the opponent and pushing them into 8D (situational I know but it happens. Thanks j.A).

We need to optimize ground combos yes but darnit guys 1 strong ground combo into an ground unblockable setup (high/low), assuming your don't get reversaled, into a really strong air juggle combo will do MORE THAN 10,000 DMG!!! 10,000!!!! IN JUST 2 COMBOS.

Of course the better your reset game the better off you'll be. If you can even reset your opponent. Because smart players, like who Zong mentioned, are hard to break.

10,000!!!!!

as a carl main you should be ashamed. KD = knock down. also why are you even posting njmamm? you are dead. stay dead brutha.

Less trolling newer players =( you too nj

I did a quick check through BB/GG system guides and beginners notation guide... I did not find KD listed.

just because i main haku doesnt mean i dont use carl and tsubaki for technical use and combo time training.

stay dead mah brutha, stay dead.

EDIT: KD is a universal term that is by no means advanced. its something most ppl understand right off the bat. but eh...thats what KD means. Knock Down

Quick and honest question. I've been playing Carl since August, but the problem is, I've been playing Pad all this time. Now, I believe myself to be quite the average Carl, and I've won my fair share of matches on PSN. But I feel that I'm lacking something. Did my research, and figured that that something I need to accel to advanced/tourney-level play is an Arcade Stick. Would that truly help me attain that level of yes?

(tl;dr;too formal: What arcade stick do I get to get better with Carl)

As a previously pad-warrior Carl having recently switched to a stick (~2 weeks ago), I'll tell you this much; You'll be really bad at first. You'll have to adapt to using the stick and buttons, which can take anywhere from days to years depending on the person.

Thus far, my experience has been that my combos have suffered, but my shenanigans and traps have improved. Combos can be relearned, so I feel I'll be better for the experience.

A digital artist friend of mine once said "buying an expensive tablet won't make you a better artist" and the same logic applies here. Buying an expensive arcade stick won't make you a better player. But much like a tablet is an easier, more intuitive, more accurate interface for an artist than a mouse, an arcade stick in the hands of a master can make a difference.

Of course there are people out there that can use a mouse for art/pad for fighting games and produce amazing results.

one of the reasons why i like using controller.stick is kinda weirdz to use at first.I'm the lazy type and stuff and don't really take too much time into learning things I want to.meh.. it depends really.I don't think i should even be on here or talking about random Carl stuff when I got school draining my energy away D: