Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedBeard

General Johnny Questions

Alright so I just took a peak at the Enkasu videos and saw how sometimes you guys did an enkasu at mid-screen, with neither character ending up directly in the corner. Is there an actual advantage to doing this? I would have gone for the extra damage from hitting with only the 2nd hit, since Johnny's damage output I hear is really bad (doesn't really seem like it but...). I know it's techable, but can't we take advantage of that somehow? I can see an RC (probably has to be a single jump, no double jump combo), drop and do Bacchus Sigh, then try to get an air throw holding back so they get tossed into the mist. Since they'll probably want to avoid the corner (and the mist) and tech forward, the air throw option seems pretty decent. Is it just not possible to do this in AC now?

Various tech-traps are still available to Johnny, just like in previous XX's. But like how sac'ing damage for the knockdown isn't always useful; always taking damage in lieu of the knockdown isn't always handy either. For example, a character like Potemkin traditionally always ends all his combos in a knockdown, which then feeds into his strong oki. But why might a Potemkin otg and go for a tech-trap instead? The same reason you might throw two coins instead of one. To mix it up. While Potemkin's oki is strong, it's also the same-old same-old, we've seen it all before. We all know how to get out of it, though difficult. When Potemkin is hitting you, in your mind you are prepareing yourself to deal with his oki. The combo's over, your down on the ground, watch for it, get ready for it.. oh- he otg'ed me, knee-jerk tech, get caught, lose round. Johnny can do a similar thing. You read a tell from your opponent, he's getting ready for the tech and is going to do something to me. Instead of giving him that tech and seeing what he's got up his sleeve, you take the tech away from him and give him a knockdown instead. Your opponent had a gameplan and you made him scrap it. Johnny's oki isn't too strong, but while he's coming up with a new plan, you might catch him with something simple. Whatever the case, a mid-screen 1-hit that leaves you a full screen apart can be a corner mist setup if you just do the same combo closer to the corner.

not sure if i've asked this question before but will the JO guide cover some aspects of tech trap for JO? heres one i've been using recently after 2 reps of JH loop i will eithe 5s(close), or 2p the guy and try sj air-throw into mist setups.

I've actually started recording a couple of my more exotic tech-traps. That was like a few weeks ago during a lull in my school work. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it soon.

Two questions; does Johnny have anything in terms of his pokes that must be blocked high besides his awful dust? Also, what can I do to help link KJ into combos that start with either HS or 6HS and follow that up with air combos by FRCing the KJ?

Dust and Ensenga are your only two standing overheads, and one isn't even a standing move. Kick or Slash, after the tkKJ(frc), for most cases.

Couple of combo questions: Whats the best dmging options after MFlv2 K? and what options r there after MFlv2K, dash 6HS, JH,...- other than Mist/ (K)S,jc to air combo? I've tried DBT DB (FRC) which doesnt seem to connect to every character, even so i cant find anything to connect after DB (like jHS/jK).

After a MMF2, a 6HS will usual lead in to your biggest damage options. After MMF2, dash, 6HS>JH, you pretty mush go for a coin or continue the combo. If I remember correctly, some big chars you can nab a coin and a combo on them. Something like: MMF2, dash, 6HS>MSJH, 2P>Coin, c.S>etc... If you want to mist, then you should do: MMF2, Coin, MSJH, Mist or MMF2, Coin, MSJH, 2D>Mist if you're really good with your timing and want a less-throw susceptible Mist setup. You don't want to MMF2, dash, 6HS>JH, Mist cause you have no Lv2 to threaten with.

Yes i see. Well i can do the MFJH part if i aim to it but generally i avoid using mist after it cause im right above the opponent and throwing me is the most curtain (as u also said)... Anyway ill have some matches with our best players like Zaelock and Raziel so we might have my first records ;p

Is it best to try and stay at Level 2 as much as possible? Lvl2LMF is a fantastic tool and gatling into it gives a good combo, but Im finding it difficult to apply sometimes because I usually get lvl3's inadvertedly by using coins as a lockdown tool, which I find is essential. I guess what Im saying is, Im finding it difficult to keep up my pressure/lockdown game going without coins, yet if I use them with a level 2 and they hit against impatient opponents Ill get moved to level 3 which isn't as useful on a practical level. What do other JO's do to keep the pressure going without losing their Level 2?

Lv2 is better then Lv3. Since going to Lv3 usually implies that you gave up an opportunity to use your Lv2 or sac'ed a knockdown for a Coin otg or something like that. Discounting all the fluffy maybe's and could of's, cold hard numbers: Lv2's get you more damage per coin, then Lv3's. There are ways to get a Lv3 without dropping damage or settling for a weaker setup. But there aren't many reasons to go to Lv3. Or at least at the current understanding of Johnny. Converting pokes into damage, with a Lv3, is difficult if your opponents aren't fond of throwing themselves into the air with no tension. But MC'ing does becoming extremely fast at Lv3. Which opens the door for tighter guard-jacking strings, different (and more difficult) combos, and stronger tick-throws (that can lead to Mist setups with a Lv2, at mid-screen.) Over the summer, and if my stick ever stops breaking, I hope to have some time to explore Lv3 some more. But anyways, to keep from losing your Lv2 to a Lv3, you pretty much throw less coins and MC more. I know it's not as threatening as a coin flying in the air, but you only have eight coins and sooner or latter your opponents are going to adapt. So it'll be good for you to start learning to utilize your MC's. Remember that at higher levels your MC's become faster (assuming you MC faster.) Which translates to more frame advantage. To help put the frame advantage in to perspective, read the following. Assuming everyone is doing everything as fast and as soon as they can: At Lv1, HS>MC1, dash, throw There is a 4 frame gap between the MC and the throw. Enough for slayer to 2P you, among other things. At Lv2, HS>MC2, dash, throw There is a 1 frame gap, between the MC and the throw. Slayer no longer has any normal-moves to beat out your tick throw. And I guess I'll go on to Lv3, HS>MC3, dash, throw There is no gap between the MC and the throw, in fact, you have to delay your throw because he's still in blockstun!

Wow thanks four, some good info there. Another thing I wanted to ask relates to MCing in general since I learned it not too long ago. Im trying to limit myself only to pressure strings that leave me at good advantage+good spacing, and since I don't generally want to get to level 3 anymore, being unable to toss a coin at the end of the string to reset the pressure hurts, especially thanks to Johnny's weird dash. Which strings should I generally use and MC at the end? 5k,c.5s,5HS MC isn't doing it for me right now because the spacing is erratic.

what are some strings/frame traps u guys use to land CH 5Hs? i am trying to learn how to use 5h to catch ppl as they try to jump out of pressure. 2p,2k,2s,(whiff),hs works well for me but i'd like some variations if possible. thanks,

2P-HS K-HS (late gatling, so they exit blockstun) 2S-HS (late gatling) HS>MC, HS are some of the frametraps I use. If you're trying to catch people jumping, I would advise against using HS. It's nice when you manage to catch people with it, but you're screwed if you whiff. HS has a narrow range, where it can hit airborne opponents, and you have to throw it out before they jump. If they see the HS, they can opt to backdash instead. I would either jump with them or remove their option to jump. But perhaps I don't understand the context you are referring to, if you care to explain?

hi 4, thanks for the strings. these are exactly what i am looking for; other ways to land CH 5hs. I understand its not in the best interest to use it to catch ppl jumping out. However, I was just curious what some of you guys do to land the hit as 5h CH allows one to do flashy looking mc combos ;3

Got a problem here. i keep getting the second strike of ensenga to hit or i hit with both hits(happened twice):psyduck: . How do i stop this flaw in my game. Also how far from the wall should i be when starting the combo. i get the first senario somtimes even when right up on the wall. i also find it easier to combo off of a LMF2 when ur about starting distance away if u throw a P and then start ur air combo. anyone else do that. Somethin like like LMF2> p > j.k-p-s dj.h-214s. also dj.anything seems to me like i'm jump cancelin but in the air. i doesn't come out unless i press at the end of the last hit. i can't press it with the new hit or it'll not come out. can someone clear this up. one other request. can someone test this combo for me. i feel that it works but imma noob so... throw> j.k-p-s> dj.k-214s(frc)-d. it seems that it might work but my FRC timin is still wak so can someone of a higher skill level than my try it. thanks:eng101:

Got a problem here. i keep getting the second strike of ensenga to hit or i hit with both hits(happened twice):psyduck: . How do i stop this flaw in my game. Also how far from the wall should i be when starting the combo. i get the first senario somtimes even when right up on the wall.

We can't help you till we know the combo you are trying to do, and on which character you are trying to do it on.

i also find it easier to combo off of a LMF2 when ur about starting distance away if u throw a P and then start ur air combo. anyone else do that. Somethin like like LMF2> p > j.k-p-s dj.h-214s.

People usually use c.S. Are you sure standing punch to jumping kick works? Double check and make sure the beat counter doesn't turn black.

also dj.anything seems to me like i'm jump cancelin but in the air. i doesn't come out unless i press at the end of the last hit. i can't press it with the new hit or it'll not come out. can someone clear this up.

I'm not sure I understand what you said, but here goes nothing. When you are jump-canceling a move, make sure you hit up after the move you are trying to JC connects, not before. Then make sure you press the button for your follow up after you double-jump. For example, with j.S>dj.S, when the first jumping slash connects, you tap up, then tap slash. You can't tap up and slash at the same time, because of the hitstop from the first jumping slash. The game will read your up+slash, and give you your double-jump, after the hitstop from the first slash. But because you did up+slash, you attempted to do your second slash before you actually double jumped.

one other request. can someone test this combo for me. i feel that it works but imma noob so... throw> j.k-p-s> dj.k-214s(frc)-d. it seems that it might work but my FRC timin is still wak so can someone of a higher skill level than my try it. thanks:eng101:

It works. Some characters will need slightly different timing for the jumping dust to connect.

Yea thanks that clears up a lot. especially the double jump during combo info. as for the combos; they're the beginning ones on the mist-o setups thread. i get i one-hit somethin just not enkasu, and i was doin it on robo-ky. actually it was the first one in paticular. thanks again. another request... about my combo, can any hits be added anywhere, efficiently, for more damage?

throw, j.K-P-S>dj.S-HS>KJ(frc), S>tj.S-HS-D>Ensenga on light chars, you may need to omite the punch. on heavy chars, you may need to add an extra kick or punch, between one of the double slashes I replied to your question about the 1-hit in the Mist Setup thread

with johnnys killer joker transports.. with the in game setup of P+K+S being the roman, i always get his mid air killer joker instead of the transport FRC, is there another way to set it so that it hits P+K+HS, or should i just not bother with the KJT FRCs

Go 421S - P+K+H. Timing is dead easy. Just do it as soon as Johnny jumps.

If i hit P+K+HS i get the FRC timing out 97% of the time, but if its set to any roman with S in it i just get his transport joker instead of the FRC :\

You can't use a macro for KJ FRC because the move is activated by pressing S. So after you do transport, pressing P+S+HS, the game registers the S before the FRC, which makes Johnny do KJ. If you want to do the FRC, you have to use P+K+HS with your fingers/thumb.