Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedBeard

General Johnny Questions

Sup JO dudes.

I wrote something, but it's kinda weak from Johnny's perspective.

Can some of you guys help me out. TJ, where are you bro?

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=291093#post291093

Please post your reaction/thoughts/input here:

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3120&page=21

Thanks guys,

Kyle

Should I remap my R1 button to HS and circle to dust for Johnny if I'm playing on a controller? It feels kind of awkward to mist cancel with the button there.

i'll usually use kick or slash mist stances if i'm on a pad, that way i can easily cancel it by sliding my thumb directly over high slash. but if remapping hs to r1 makes it that much easier for you, nobody's stopping you.

I haven't perfected MCing yet, but since pressing attack buttons other than HS doesn't change the stance, all I do is press any mist stance button (K, S, P) then just drop the rest of my thumb on the entire side to hit the HS. In other words I just mash all the attack buttons except dust. Since your in Mist stance it doesn't activate instant kill mode. This is just how I do it though. Also, if you map Dust to the circle would that interfere with your MSJH?

Hey guys, I'm kinda new here and I can't seem to pull off a combo with a FRC'd 214S. after I FRC the move (or just RC it) Johnny just falls down quickly without giving a chance to continue the air combo. Do you know what is it I am doing wrong? thanks.

when you first start out w/ the FRCs, you'll drop combos easily. The best way is to go to practice mode and when you think you hit the frc, mash j.S. In reality, you want to time that j.S but for now, you just want to focus on getting the move out and get used to hitting FRCs.

So just spam j.S after the FRC?

and btw, what do dj.S, KJ, PSSH, KSSH and KPSSH mean?

Is there a Johnny input legend here somewhere?

After you hit the three buttons for the FRC just quickly switch to hitting j.S. Don't spam it by repeatedly hitting the button, since that will probably mess up your chances of jump canceling after. Johnny is pretty much free to do anything you want the moment you FRC, so let loose.

dj.S= Double Jumping Slash

KJ= Killer Joker (214S)

PSSH, KSSH, KPSSH= Likely every P=Punch K=Kick S=Slash H=Hard Slash

As for a legend.. I'm not sure. But if you have any questions feel free to shoot them our way and any of the exceptional gentlemen here will help you out.

when you see normals lumped together like that, it means that they're part of an air combo. the double jumps are just assumed and likewise aren't added in. so for instance: j.P -> j.S -> dj.S -> j.H would be shortened to just: PSSH makes things easier to read.

The j.S after the FRC works, and I have another question... In this input: Throw->j.K->j.P->j.S->dj.K->j.S->j.H->j.D->Ensenga(1) everything is fine up until the j.H, by the time I get to this part of the combo Johnny is under the opponent in the air, and j.H doesn't hit. What am I doing wrong?

The character you are doing this against may be too light. Try omitting the j.P.

dj.S - Double Jump Slash - it means that you do a jump cancel (for johnny, most likely after a jumping slash), then do another slash. KJ - Killer Joker - This is actually Jo's instakill, but more likely than not the person meant to say JT, which means Joker Trick (Johnny's 214S in the air) PSSH - Punch, Slash, Slash, Heavy Slash. This is most likely an air combo string, but they didn't put in the jump cancel notation KSSH - Kick, Slash, Slash, Heavy Slash. Same thing as above. KPSSH - Kick, Punch, Slash, Slash, Heavy Slash. Once again, same thing as above. There is a notation thread somewhere in general information I think.

do any of the other johnny players use tech timing to their advantage in corners? Example: Corner: Throw, wait til opponent techs, immediate jump/grab land, 5K ->MMF2->Coin>IAD>(insertcharacterspecificiadenkasu) land ->mist Or Throw, Coin, enemy tech, super jump grab same thing. OR you in the corner, enemy facing, LMF2 (crossup) coin, opponent tech jump grab same link as before or enemy in corner, 2D - enemy tech, jump grab. From all the match videos ive seen everyone seems to neutral tech and then attempt a dash, if timed correctly (at least i havent been able to dash before the grab) you can grab before a tech dash happens making for a nifty setup into the corner mist "loops" This also will only most likely work a few times on an opponent your playing multiple times, because they can decide just to not tech or wait until the last tech frame, but it seems useful. Meh, maybe i have too much time on my hands?

The character you are doing this against may be too light. Try omitting the j.P.

I tried omitting the j.P and even tried the combo on POT but the j.H still doesn't connect.

^ Yap, it's nothing new.

I never see people abuse it the way i just picked up though >.> its like teching can be your absolute worse enemy

Are there any combos that work on every character? Or do you have to know that 1 specific combo for every character (bleh). Also how is johnny really bad in this game? Was he good in reload? What made him low tier?

You tend to have to learn combos regarding to certain characters with Johnny from what I've picked up, you have to know ALOT of character specific stuff to be efficient with Johnny. He was really good in #Reloaded from what I've seen/read/heard, I wasn't that into reloaded. He's low tier in Accent Core but still a threatening character in many aspects. His average damage is kind of low in comparison to heavy hitters like slayer and potempkin. Divine blade got nerfed a lot from Reloaded/slash. And his pokes are pretty high risk for medium reward. Decent damage modifier, somewhat harder to juggle than other characters because of his weight. His ability to break out of pressure is very weak, 2HS and his overdrive are preferred but some characters like slayer can 6P around a wakeup overdrive or a predicted one. He only has one overhead which would be 5D, which leaves him at a disadvantage for mixups. tk Ensegna is nice for an overhead to a point, however if whiffed or IBd it can be punished rather easily. Jackhound for a forcebreak isnt as strong as something like Slayers BBU (Big bang uppercuts in its own world though) since Jackhound only has 13-15f immunity (i believe, correct me if im wrong). He does however have one of the best grabs in game, giving him the ability to get 90+ damage out on each character in the cast from it. His dash is both good and bad, it can avoid low attacks if timed correctly (such as Slayers 2HS) but it cant be cancelled by faultless defense like most characters dashes can. This has all been said in other posts, but this is my opinion on it. As stated before though, Tiers in this game dont matter as much as they do in games like MvC2, where tier fights are all that exists. From my feeling on playing him, his safe fighting zone is much smaller than alot of characters, where he tends to excel at midrange, being kept out of that range is somewhat easy to do. His corner pressure is where johnny wants to be overall, linking the right moves in a corner to crank a guardbar isnt always easy, but damn its rewarding to link 35HS, 6HS, HMF3, 6HS, Thats my name in a corner on someone thats been blocking for the last 10 seconds.

Are there any combos that work on every character? Or do you have to know that 1 specific combo for every character (bleh).

Also how is johnny really bad in this game? Was he good in reload? What made him low tier?

there are universal combos. KSKS works on everyone, as do variants of it (KPSKS, etc). it's not a knockdown combo (one hit ensenga setup) but it does good damage and works on everyone (though i've managed to land it as a one hit a few times, it's really not worth trying).

johnny is low tier in accent core because he doesn't have any overheads (except 5D, lol), reversals (except his super, but that's 1/2 tension) or mixups. his guardstun is also terrible and due to his tall hitbox, is an easy target for random normals (this also makes some of his moves, like 5S, completely whiff over shorter characters :psyduck:).

that's not to say he doesn't have any redeeming values though. johnny also happens to have among the highest defensive modifiers in the game, so he takes less damage than most others. johnny also can do lots of damage off of random hits (most of these setups reqruiring a level 2 mist finer), and his frc points are relatively easy. mist cancel strings also do a great job of locking down your opponent, and the possibilites for mindgames with those are endless (though risky, in some cases). lastly, his throw is arguably the best in the game (not counting command throws), giving him perfect position to combo or coin.

pretty much, the best way to play johnny is to be unpredictable. you can take more damage than most other characters, so just focus on landing a coin and then from there, setting up a combo off of a normal. some of his normals are actually really good against certain characters (5K, for instance, completely shuts down order sol), so landing one on ch makes setting up combos that much easier.

KJ - Killer Joker - This is actually Jo's instakill, but more likely than not the person meant to say JT, which means Joker Trick (Johnny's 214S in the air)

OBJECTION da ze !

Their are holes in your donut Mister :v:

Johnny's Instant Kill (press P+K+S+HS then 236236H) is "Joker Trick" while "Killer Joker" is the name of his air special, performed either 214S in the air or the follow-up part in the ground special 421S~S. ;)

Even if it is true and heartbreaking, JO being low-tier is unimportant, the game won't change soon. Either accept it or change character. Know your weaknesses (for the char but also for the player), know your strengths but also the ones (weak and strong points) of your opponent and play accordingly.

What matters is finding how to beat the crap out of your opponent, no matter his tier. It is up to you to make him god-tier, even if it asks lot of skill, time, effort and such. Not an easy task but that's the way it is. Being a sexy pirate is tough but coolness has a price. :cool::thumbu:

I tried omitting the j.P and even tried the combo on POT but the j.H still doesn't connect.

No one enswered me yet.

And I have some other questions...

1. I saw on videos players performing an Ensunga really close to the ground almost instantly, how is this done?

2. I pulled off "off the ground" divine blade and KJ, is it done by pressing 21478S and 23698S?

^ Read the GG guide? They all explain there. 1. It's called TK'd Ensenga. Tiger kneed means doing air moves close to the ground. This is the input: 412369 H 2. You don't have to input 8 in the end but whatever floats your boat. Yes. And the combo...All the combos that are posted here should work. It's either your timing was off or you were doing something wrong. Try few more times. Take your time.