Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedBeard

General Johnny Questions

Jofan, Redbeard, and Disater ya'll keep Johnny kicking ass. When ya'll are doin training mode what do ya'll do usually to increase your skills and reduce your amounts of mistakes happening in matches...Hell Kenmaster is good too. I'm trying to play at ya'lls level

The way I do it is usually just go through arcade mode and practice combos on all the different characters. That way, I learn how to adjust to everyone instead of having my mind set on one character hitbox and body weight.

Other things I do while I'm practicing (this is also arcade mode stuff) is trying to find opportunities for variations on things, like if I get a random counter hit in one situation, I ask myself "Can I dash up and combo after, or from this height can I do the combo differently?" Learning to spot a counterhit can lead to a good chunk of health gone.

This is all for naught without having comp, though. You have to be able to test your stuff on people who play, and also learn how to get them into situations where you can force them into damage. Learn your mixup and pressure game.

Don't think I could have put it better than Kenmasters did. Only difference being that I use survival mode to quickly have access to randomly fighting random characters. Then if I have something that requires really strict timing I go to training mode to test it. But as far as improving my "on the fly" ability, I go to survival mode because I simply do not have access to fighting some characters(May, Bridget, random other ones).

Thanks Ken & Red it helps alot I'm trying to become a master of pressure and speed. knowing what to do and in situations will help me reach my goal quicker

Hi, coin jack - how does one do it. i thought the main idea is to have coin and jh hit at the same time...however, when i do that after a 2d mc 5k hs upper lvl3 on BA she was able to tech rit away...... is there a really simple way of testing it without the extraneous setups? thanks,

JOFan, tested right now on BA and it works, the JcK should connect just after the coin hits. You may throw the coin too early (too late and it will be an OTG hit) or input the JcK a little too late. You could do a regular FB JackHound, but it will be techable and you won't be able to combo (c.S > JC > aircombo) out of it or put a 214P. Since you asked for another way to test it, you could try this less difficult version : Put the dummy recovery to back, then throw her, wait for the recovery then MF-P(3), wait a little, coin, MS~JcK It should be more or less the same distance and height than in your combo. Though I find the timing completetly different in the two combos, because of different distance and height. Therefore, I suggest you paractice doing your full combo with MC (Lv3) rather than the above, since successing in the "easy" version (IMO really easier) won't help you. The trick is time the coin, easier said than done, indeed.

oh.......so the jack itself has to be from mist stance eh? no wonder.... >_>; thanks a bunch matey

ah, I knew I was forgetting to do something. So anyways,

You don't need to MSJH if you set it up right

Youtube is doing maintenance, so here's a vid I uploaded to my university account http://userpages.umbc.edu/~esara1/noMSJH.zip (don't rape it too much, though it's less then 3mb. so it shouldn't be a problem, I think...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_V9ln8uKQ

When doing MFH3 to coin to Jackhound, general rule of thumb is that they need to be high enough and far away enough, when MFH3 hits, that you can throw a coin in such a way that the coin connects low enough that, both, a Jackhound will hit and low enough that a Jackhound will not pop them high enough to tech out.

But if you can do it with a MSJH, or MSDJH, then more power to ya.

ok, so i feel really retarded that I've been playing Johnny for a long time and been using MC, but don't really know what to do with the higher levels of MC. I understand that higher lvl MF gives you more frame advantage, so what how do those extra frames specifically help? All I know to use it for is it makes my dash follow up safer, and that tick throws become better (less time to react). Can someone give me more specific examples of what to do with the frame advantage or am I thinking there's more to it then i really am.

Yep, level 3 MC strings gets easier and you have a wider window for frame trap, feints and such. I think you can link two consecutives HS with it or a 6H > MC > 5H without landing a CH as a first hit. Can't watch 4r5 video yet, maybe it is in, but on hit, "2D > MC > blah" are easier to pull of with a Lv3. Where blah can be : - DB combo (for instance 2D > MC > c.S [8] > HS > DB combo), - MS~JcK combo > blah (instead of the MC. The timing is just easier, no real gain here using Lv ) - c.S > aircombo, - K > HS > MF-P(3) combo - ... Otherwise, IMO, when one have a level 3, one should build the guard gauge thanks to improve MC then crack the defense (not recklessly, be sure it does hit, during a combo or after a 214P, also check the burst meter to bait an upcoming one) and score huge damage. Though I tend to mainly aim for Lv2. Lv1 MC frame traps more easily escaped, having a bigger gap. But even so, it still is an important tool, as you already know.

Just be fast. Killer Joker has no hit pause, so you can't use that to buffer in your airdash. Priming the airdash can help, by doing one forward, then FRC, then another forward to complete the dash. 6FRC6 He was able to do that combo by jacking up ABA's guard gauge. When the guard gauge is flashing, hits will automatically be counter hit. It is as you see it: Air-CH 6HS>MC, dash, CH HS>MC, dash, CH HS>MC, dash, 6HS>UMF3, 6HS>OD. The only prerequisite is that you build up the guard gauge enough for the first three hits to be counter hits.

Thank you 4r5!! I'm getting now (Even Enkasu on Sol, nice feeling!) Hmm I see. At the video, suzume is MCing so fast that Johnny seems to stagger a little Is there a way, or drill to practice this?

waraboushi: Getting fast Mist Cancels down is just sitting in training mode and working on it. I used to sit down and go through ALL of Johnny's moves and MC them till I got them as fast as I could, then I would go and practice MC combos... like on crouch H XX MC, f.S > 6H... or with L3, 2D XX MC, 2P > c.S (JI) > H XX 236P into some coin-Jack setup if possible. So really it's just sitting in training mode... and not expecting much from L1 Mist Cancels, lol.

Is Johnny weaker in AC? Like less damaging? Smaller Combos? Not as Flashy? I haven't gotten AC yet but I enjoy playing with Johnny I've learned that Johnny has alot of creativity (From watching Videos and asking around in the forums) But in AC I haven't seen much differences from many Johnny players (Bleed,DC,517,etc.) and Combo videos like I have in the previous titles of GGX I don't know maybe I haven't develop enough skill as a player yet. But from my understanding Johnny doesn't seem to be as fun to play with as he was before.

Excuse me, how to do johnny secret move? Johnny is less dmg my friend always say bad word if get johnny's combo. try this if your opponent always guard down ensenga instant=412369H(from land this move is johnny's over head attack),RC,S,(lv2)236P,then air combo

Ba_Roto, Johnny's hidden move, or Free Mist Stanced JackHound (FMSJH) is done like this : 236[P], 2146H During Mist Stance (P was used as exemple, but it could be K or S too), while stille holding the P button to stay in this stance, input fast enough the command 2146H. There may be a certain timing, either you doing it too fast or too early. It is the same as the MSJH, except is doesn't cost 25% Tension. If it is for casual play and your opponent is okay, feel free to use it. But it is forbidden in certain tourneys and is not arcade legit (console only move), hence I don't use it.

US release, and possible further Japanese releases, will have it fixed (removed). So you may reconsider investing time into practicing this.

Thanks Mitsurugi. How to do KJ(421S) RC?I don't know when timing to press PKS and 623S(I never remeber moves name>.<) I don't know the timing to RC. How to do move like Johnny combo video Howling in 4:32-finish?

FRC timing on both transports, for most people, is as fast as you can PKH after the S. The exact timing, if you care, is 11->13 on DBT (623S) and 10->12 on KJT (421S). The last combo you see in Howling is a GG-Mode EX-Johnny combo. What he did at 4:32 is EX-Johnny's air OD (236236HS), which he then comboed in to his IK, which you can only do in GG-Mode (PKSH). The whole combo is: On full guard-gauge, crouching hit, 66, 6HS>D+HS, 66, 6HS>D+HS, 6K, IAD.236236HS, P+K+S+HS

In order to FRC the DBT or KJT (Teleport, meaning the leap moves, not the hitting ones), you must press PKH, and not PKS. This latter results in the follow-up, no matter how good your timing is. That may be the reason why you can't FRC, you may be pushing the wrong FRC buttons. If that is not the case, as usual, training mode is a very good way to spot the FRC point. Be sure to have the "display" option on "input" or "both". There will be a wide line at the bottom of the screen showing your input commands, and if you do a FRC move, it will flash blue to show the exact frames. The FRC point do is the flash, not the blue "trailing", leaning if you press the PKH buttons when you see the blue, it is already too late. Have fun practicing. Ha, GG mode is hilarious, with the combos into IK, the arrows DDR thingy as a last chance to get out of it etc. Though IMO, only a few minutes, just to fool around when we are tired of a full nightlong casual play. :v: EDIT : On a side note, I really hope the US version of GGAC will fix the "Bacchus Sigh" bug, where an opponent with a fog on him can still block a Mist Finer... It does not happen that frequently but yet is not that scarce. Any news on that, for instance in the Wii version for those who have it (and played a long time on this system) ? The problem is that we don't know how to trigger it (that would be the good side of it, or else the opponent may take advantage of it), so doing rigorous testing may be hard.