Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedBeard

General Johnny Questions

BV > That is a nice broken Tensionless set-up 1-hit loop. :v: Johnny is top tier now ! Kayin > You can add a hit between the coin and the MSJH, adding a some damage and a little height, thus earning some few frames of advantage. That can make a difference against some characters since the 214P is so slow, even with the FRC, allowing them to escape or counter you if you don't. Thanks to MSJH, even the light weight should not be able to tech despite the extra height gained by the hit before connecting the JcK. For instance, near corner : MF-K(2), coin, dash, HS, MSJH, 214P (FRC or not, depending on the opponent) You can use HS or f.S and the timing may be hard on some chars. On another hand, damage from a corner MF-K(2) can be really good. Both are good options IMO. Following with a dash 6H at least. Could you describe the combo you feel scales too much and on which character ? If it involves another coin and a level 2 MF(K or P), that is normal. Otherwise, those are nice damagewise if you are not going for the mist (near or in corner) : MF-K(2), dash, 6H, coin, airthrow Not damage, but nice reset, works from time to time. Careful since with extra lag time on 214P and depending on the height and opponent character, you'll be stuffed/, even with 214P FRC MF-K(2), dash, 6H, MSJH, c.S, aircombo KJ FRC during the aircombo is useless because of the scaling and won't add that much damage, except if you get a 1-hit out of hit or have build up the opponent's guard gauge. MF-K(2), dash, 6H, c.S (JI), HS, DBT~DB FRC aircombo (JC or not) possibly leading to 1-hit. Gotta love DB combo ^_^ There was also some discussions in another JO topic here about : corner MF-K(2), dash, 6H, TK KJ FRC, j.H, j.D, land, aircombo. It is pretty nice but the 6H should connect close enough allowing the TK KJ to hit. TKing with 9 helps closing the distance. Haven't tried yet if and on who j.H, j.D, land, 6H connects (remember, remember !), that could be real good. Tech trap may possible with j.H, j.D, (6H if possible), coin.

I have a question about Johnny's wake-up game.

In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRxGkOsgXVw at 1:20, KID/KIDDO dashes in and then does a meaty 2K. However, he's well within throw range. What prevents the Anji player from just mashing throw? Did the Anji player just have bad reactions? The guys I play with will almost always throw me on reaction if I ever get that close on wakeup =(

1)Johnny is way too close/late to do the walk back and forth trap

2)he dashed in close/late enough that it was obvious he was going to be within throw range

3)Johnny doesn't have any throw invul moves, and he doesn't have any jump shennanigans many other characters have.

4)Back dash would be beaten by most HS from mashing throw?

5)Since you have to press back again to throw (I'm not sure if that's right), is it meant to hit them the split second they let go of back to press back again to throw?

Is it because throwing on wakeup is "difficult" and that if you mess up you eat a big fat combo? From my experiences, if you mistime the HS you just block.

Argh, durr. It must of been late. I read that as "mist combo" not Mist/combo" when I first read it so I was like "WTF WHERE ARE THE MIST SETUPS OFF JACKHOUND IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEM" Anyways, Japanese don't reversal throw nearly as much as we do, mostly because they know very well that if they guess wrong it's going to hurt. Back in slash I used to win rounds all the time by running into throw range and jumping at the last second, DB FRC, land -> Big Combo. Even though I only baited occasionally, it was still enough for me not to get thrown on wake up most of the time. I'm not sure what Johnny's anti throw punishes are now (TK KJ?) but the Japanese are used to seeing these capabilities and are generally more comfortable blocking while getting up and waiting for an openning to show up later. If you think about it, the first hit of Oki is you(The pressure-er) at the highest level of control. The Japanese have great blocking and thusly aren't afraid to wait it out for a better, safer openning to attempt an escape.

I'm having trouble tiger-kneeing Enseiga. In Training Mode the display says I'm doing the input right (412369HS) but I always end up either using Glitter is Gold or, if I have no coins, a super jump. Any tips?

I'm having trouble tiger-kneeing Enseiga. In Training Mode the display says I'm doing the input right (412369HS) but I always end up either using Glitter is Gold or, if I have no coins, a super jump. Any tips?

Hm, I figured out it helps to do a full circle (412369874HS). I think I was pressing HS too soon.. This method seems a tad slow, though...

TKing Ensenga is three parts. 1. The Ensenga motion (41236) which is done on the ground. 2. Jumping in to the air. Usually with 9. 3. And finally, when you have left the ground and are in the air, completing the Ensenga by pressing HS. The part most people have trouble with is step 2. You may be doing the correct motions, as shown by the input display, but if you aren't getting an Ensenga ten your timing is off. If you get a coin or a standing HS, then you are pressing HS too soon. You are canceling the start up of Johnny's jump into a coin or HS. Fix this by delaying your HS. If you are getting a jumping HS or a superjumping HS, then you are pressing HS too late. The Ensenga motion has left the input buffer. Fix this by pressing HS sooner. If you are getting an Ensenga, then you did it. Good job! Now work on getting your Ensenga to come out as low to the ground as possible. Some people use 4123698HS. Some people do a 360. They're all just timing tricks. What ever works for you. As long as you can get an Ensenga out when you need it, where you need it, then that's all that matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN6btrdDXb4

In this video (at 1:28), Johnny does a tkEnsenga>RC>air dash>js>ensnega midscreen. I was just wondering if you guys knew if there were certain conditions where you would know for sure that this would connect (like vs light chars and when they are close enough to you) or was it just spam and hope it connects anyway because you really don't have anything to lose?

If Ensenga hits, then ad.S will hit. Won't work on Robo-Ky, he's too heavy/small.

I started maining johnny a week ago. I moved from Sol. Got kinda bored of Sol. Anyway, I've never really been good a air combos. I'm just wondering if I'm gonna have a handicap during matches if my air game isnt all that great. I mean it's not combo vid worthy, but it's enough for me to have no problems fighting the CPU on Hard Mode. Jonny's air game is a complete mystery to me. The most I can do in the air is j.k>j.s>KJ(FRC) After that I'm just kinda in the air......

You're going to miss out on a lot of damage, if you can't do Johnny's air combos. and you should be doing something like blahblah-S-HS>KJ(frc), ..etc or blah-K>KJ(frc) then follow up the KJ(frc) with something like K-S>tj.S-HS-D.Ensenga and the like.

Thank you. Is that a basic air combo or one of the more complex ones? I can't even do a basic Throw>j.k>j.S>dj.k>j.S>Ensenga combo. I'll try and master that combo you showed me. I'm so used to playing without complex air combos though. :vbang:

j.K-S>dj.K-S-D>Ensenga is the basic all purpose aircombo. Try to get that down first.

I got a quick question. When performing Killer Joker from the ground (421S-S), and FRCing it, do you still have to jump install in order to get an airdash directly after you FRC? Or does KJ auto-JI for you like the air version does? EDIT: Oops, Killer Joker, not Joker Killer.

Fenrir > Nope, the "ground KJ" (the KJ follow-up of the Killer Joker Transport) does not auto-JI in the console version, whether it is the Japanese or the American one. However, if you play on the arcade cabinet, it is auto-JIed. If you wonder, the KJT itself (just the leaping move without hitting) does not have auto-JI properties though, even on arcade.

Does johnny have an moves that he should FD cancel(as opposed to MC or w/e)? I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned, but I just wanted to make sure. And Mucho thanks to everyone for their posts! Sometimes I forget to say thanks. Johnny forum is the best! Especially because of 4r5 and RedBeard :thumbu: Seriously, when I went to other forums, none of them have as good guides,ppl etc. Sadly, school/work is keeping us all busy.

Forward Dash is about the only useful FDC that johnny has.

What's up, guys. I'm trying to brush up my execution on a couple of combos, and I can't figure out exactly what inputs to do for a couple of combos. Here are the combos in specific: (corner) (K)MF2 > Dash > tk KJ (FRC) > j.HS > j.D > land, jump > etc. What's the exact input I should be doing for the tk KJ? Every time I try to do it, I keep getting the super-jump tk version, and that puts me too high. Could someone please write it out? Having the whole combo written out would be just delightful. :v: The other input I'm having trouble getting out is the Step-Jack (MSSJH, or however you wanna write it). Landing a mid-screen hit when at MF2 or MF3, then doing a gatling into 5HS, step-jack, mist is really powerful IMO, and I want to get the right input down so I can practice and do it consistently. Here's what the input looks like in my head: (mid-screen or corner) K > HS > 236K(hold) > 66214D ; (then go into 2D > mist (FRC) > 3H FTW) Is there ANY easier way to do the step-jack in there? If I do the 236K>66214D input fast enough, would I be able to skip doing one of the 6's on the 66214? I was hoping the 6 from the MF input would work similar to the way IADs work (input: 86, where the forward motion of the jump counts as the first forward input for an instant air dash). Hope my question is kinda clear... Hard to put into words. I guess the simplest way to ask is: What's shortest possible input for HS > MSSJH ? Thanks!!

TK Killer Joker

TK KJ from neutral, I input it 2149S so that JO jumps forward. Nevertheless, in the combo you described, I add a 6H right after the dash. That JC-able move helps getting the TK KJ right. The rest of this post will only talk about the combo including 6H.

First, be sure you are not pushed too far away so that the air KJ connects. I begin with (out of throw range) K, c.S and not K, HS, though depending on your spacing and opponent's character this latter also works.

For the TK part, you can either tap up first then input the air KJ motion or input in by adding a jump direction at the end : 2147S or preferably 2149S to jump forward and close a little the distance, making the KJ more likely to connect. I find the first possibility easier but since timing is involved in any case, it is all personal preference.

Opponent against the right wall, out of throw range :

K, c.S, MF-K(2), dash, 6H, 9 (going forward), 214S FRC, more or less delay, j.HS, j.D, land, jump etc.

Depending on the character, you'll have to wait more or less after the FRC point so that landing then jump and air combo is possible, the first air hit after landing connects.

As for the TK special, you tap 9 then perform the 214 motion without having to wait for Johnny to jump cancel, like you'll do for a Jump Install. Nonetheless you have to time your the input well (I do it slower than usual to match the appropriate timing) so that just a fraction of time after JC you press the S button.

It is almost as if both are simultaneous.

If you understand the concept now, no secret technique, some time training mode and you'll get it.

Mist Stanced Dash JackHound (MSDJH)

Yes, the normal input is as you wrote it :

K, H, 236[K], 66214D

However, you can buffer the 6 direction in the 236[K] to act as the first 6 in the dash motion. Meaning you'll only have to tap 6 again once thus saving extra time and input.

Before doing it in combo, just try from neutral. Level 1 is the hardest to time while level 3 is the easiest. So put yourself in training mode at lv2 or 3 as a start then if you success consistently go down a level.

236[K] 6

You'll have to tap the second forward direction (bolded above, the one triggering the dash) in a specific timing to get the MS Dash. The lower the level the longer you'll have to wait before pressing this direction while still holding the Mist Stance of course. The higher the level the more lenient it becomes making possible to press the 6 (bolded one) earlier. Afterward, input the JcK during the MS Dash as usual, immediately after tapping the second forward direction

236[K] 6214D

During combos nevertheless it is trickier since you cancel the K, HS into the Mist Finer Stance by the buffering the 236[K]. That messes with the timing learned just above. A solution is to cancel the HS into MS as late as possible. Indeed, that ain't easy and may be not practical but it has good potential.

Mitsurugi, great explanation there. I didn't know you could do that, to bad I'm still terrible at the MSJH from a MC. Could you get a coin after the Dust in that combo? Prehaps even a Coin-Jack, depending how far away you are? I love my Coins :D. I need to get back to my PS2 XD.

Thanks, Mitsurugi. I'd actually meant to have the 6H in there - I totally spaced out on that one. haha 2149S doesn't even connect after 236k.

I wanna make sure I have this all straight.

For the TK Killer Joker combo, there are two options:

(appropriate range)

combo-starter > 236K > 66 > 6H > 9 (as 6H connects) > 214S (FRC) > etc.

or

combo-starter > 236K > 66 > 6H > 2149S (FRC) > etc.

Is that right?

---

So the MSDJH _CAN_ be buffered with the 6 on the mist finer input. Awesome. That's exactly what I wanted to know. So it's really just a timing/execution issue that I need to work on.

Okay, so I just need to work on this input: 236[K] 6214D, and need to make sure I time the second 6 correctly. Is it pretty fast after going into mist stance?

---

Newjack> The idea behind this setup is to put the opponent in as much stagger as possible, so that you can connect 2D safely and lay down the mist. Opponents that know wtf they're doing will easily mash out of normal or mist-stanced JH's stagger to connect a 2D, but the stagger for Mist Stance Dash JH is really long.

Since this is a setup to put the mist the opponent, it's not terribly useful to do with only a level 1 MF, in my personal opinion. To answer your question - yes, you can get a coin in after the 2D at the end, but that would only really be useful if you only had a level 1 MF. The setup only works when you have at least 50% tension, so I guess you could go for the coin. Doing the coin there will end up being an OTG on most characters. If a coin-jack does work there, the characters you can do it on will be very limited.

ugh, my explanation is getting retarded. Just watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLM1HCu3xT4

You'll know it when you see it.

I was referring to the first part of that after the j.D if you didn't jump again

TK Killer Joker

Opponent against the right wall, out of throw range :

K, c.S, MF-K(2), dash, 6H, 9 (going forward), 214S FRC, more or less delay, j.HS, j.D, land, jump etc.

I wasn't referring to the MSJH thingy, I just stated I'm terrible at it :D.

Editzor: I just found the answer to that XD :vbang:

Newjack >

Haven't really tried since when doing this combo I mainly aim for damage. If you manage to get both good damage and end with a coin > JcK in order to put a 214P (FRC or not) that would be really sweet. Right off the bat, I think the opponent may be too high for the JcK to connect but to be tested.

On some characters in #R and Slash, it was also possible to to a falling j.H, j.D, 6H > whatever (coin, aircombo, DB combo). Though it was not initiated by a KJ FRC, maybe that still is possible in AC ?

Render >

"combo-starter > 236K > 66 > 6H > 9 (as 6H connects) > 214S (FRC) > etc.

or

combo-starter > 236K > 66 > 6H > 2149S (FRC) > etc."

Yup ! You can also do variations such as 2148S, 2147S, 21478S, 214789S if you manage to do it well. I suck at it and find the first option way easier. Timing is a personal issue, whatever suits you the best. ;)

As for the timing of the second forward motion, it is not that fast. The delay is pretty unnatural at first specially at level 1 but by just practicing 2366 at level 2 or 3, you'll get it down.

By the way, a little mistake in my previous post. While I do a MSJH as followed :

236[P] 214D

Doing a MSDJH is so fast that I do a scrubby but easier :

236[P] 63214D

Besides, there was an Arcadia article translated by POscrub (thx again man !) about JcK combo that explained a little trick to earn 1 frame of startup by going into neutral position before pressing the D button (meaning 236[K] 2145D) or 2 frames for Mist Finer specials. See the second page of the "Johnny AC Gameplay specifics" topic for further details.

About the TK KJ, I use a simple Jump cancel rather a TK. Ex: Corner > K > S > MF-K(2) > Dash > 6HS~8 > 214S FRC > jHS > jD > Land > HS .. I miss easier the combo using the TK than the simple Jump Cancel. You must note that for the TK it exist 3 direction for the imput : 7, 8, 9 In reality it's very important because for exemple using the 7, Johnny do a Back Jump and therefore, Johnny is too far of the corner and you are more probality to miss the combo. The best is to use a TK like 2148S or 2149S. In this case Johnny's Jump are vertical and the combo is easier. You can do : Ex: Corner > K > S > MF-K(2) > Dash > 6HS~8 > 214S FRC > jHS > jD > Land > (66)9 jK > jS > jD > Ens (1)

Fenrir > Nope, the "ground KJ" (the KJ follow-up of the Killer Joker Transport) does not auto-JI in the console version, whether it is the Japanese or the American one.

However, if you play on the arcade cabinet, it is auto-JIed.

If you wonder, the KJT itself (just the leaping move without hitting) does not have auto-JI properties though, even on arcade.

So we cannot dash after KJ from ground because this console version?

I just want to try Johnny combo from "Finale-Side E-" 1:53-finish but after see this post i don't have desire to try:vbang: