Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xan

Just picked up GG XRD Sign, open to advice

Hello everyone. I played fighting games from time to time over the years, but never in a serious enough capacity. 

Since I recently discovered that Guilty Gear showed up again on my sole gaming platform (PC) I picked it up and I'm trying to learn to play the game properly as opposed to just goofing around like I did in the Midnight Carnival days.

To that end I decided that it would be beneficial to start with a fighting stick right away so as to get past that difficult hurdle while I'm still a noob at the game - to learn it "properly" instead of having to relearn it from the keyboard to pad or stick somewhere down the line when I have some actual skill. I got myself a Qanba Q1 because that was all I could afford and so far it seems decent enough. Apparently its moddable so I might put in better parts when it starts failing on me.

I'm trying to learn how to play I-no and I've been grinding away at the challenge mode content - very slowly because I'm still not coordinated well enough on the stick (having trouble with things like Ultimate Fortissimo, dashing etc - stuff that requires quick and precise input). 

Do you have any advice as what is the quickest and best approach to learn the game in general and I-no in particular from the ground up?

I have no experience with I-no, but with the general game just keep doing what you're doing.

I would recommend hopping in the lab first thing when you start up the game for 15-30 minutes and just do things like dashing, IADs, DP's, fireballs etc to practice using the stick before doing the challenges. DO that until you start feeling comfortable with the stick which could be a day, or 6 months.

My 2 cents.

Just as PandaFace said.

Do not focus on combos in the beginning

Challenges are good but you really have to get to a point when each move comes out without even thinking. Try training mode a lot and get used to the spacing of both normal and special moves

Practice hitting combos against the cpu in versus, and try to optimize conversions off random hits as best you possibly can. Also try to set goals for yourself. Try to airthrow airdashes, figure out ways to deal with double jumps, mix up blockstrings, and try to notice habits in the way you approach the cpu and see the pros and cons on how you approach.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk