Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlienJay

Is it normal to not remember / grasp all these mechanics right away?

I'm pretty new to fighters. Ive been playing Guilty Gear XRd sign for about 3 days, and I still am having trouble remembering all these different mechanics . Red Roman Cancels, Yellow Roman Cancels,  Blitz Shield, Gold psych Burst, Blue psyche burst, faultless defense, dead angle attack WTF so much stuff!  Not to mention all the other terms people use in fighting games, Am I just a dumb ass and everyone finds this stuff easy, or are there others like me?

I had watched stream archives since AC+R (and Chronophantasma) and read up about things long before I started playing Xrd on Steam release so I knew all about the mechanics, but it's been over half a year (almost 10K player matches according to my R-Code) and I still can't use all of them correctly. From time to time I remember that pushing the opponent back with FD or countering safejumps with Blitz is really useful, but doing all the things at right situations is still is too much for me to handle. RRC and YRC are used loads of times each match and Burst (Blue) at least once (hopefully twice) unless you're perfecting, so those will be the ones you'll master more quickly.

What's great about Xrd is that all of these mechanics have their purpose and everything revolves around the same Tension gauge (Burst being the only exception); if some character doesn't really need one mechanic, it can spend the Tension in some other way, and more universally, if you use the whole Tension gauge for defense (FD, Blitz, RRC'ing a reversal to make it safe), you don't have anything to spend on offense (Overdrives, continuing a combo with RRC) when you finally get your turn. While the defense in this game is really strong with all the option selects and defensive mechanics, you gain way more Tension by acting offensively (even walking forward gives you Tension) and acting too passively is punished (by slowing your Tension gain and even resetting your gauge to zero), so matches never end up being turtlefests.

I think the problem is mostly with games like BlazBlue that drastically change their mechanics... it's hard to adjust to the jump.

I had to ask a ton of questions about Central Fiction when it first hit.  So yeah, it's not something you master in a day.  No need to rush.

And honestly, don't even worry about the "scene" dying on you... you can always get friends to play you and teach you stuff.