Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RurouniLoneWolf

[CF] Mai Natsume Gameplay Discussion

Not playing her but no one else seems to be making it so I thought I might as well so I can at least compile info here and make it easier for people to find.

Feel free to discuss all things concerning gameplay of Mai Natsume here! Remember to respect the forum rules at all times.

Early Information:

Footage

Screens

This video shows a few seconds of Mai's playstyle at the 8:30 minute mark: https://youtu.be/F43QCQiuVcI?t=511

Mori then says that more of Mai will be seen at the Tokyo Game Show. I guess this means that they won't be putting out a preview video for Mai until at least after that event has concluded.

From what we can see Mai's spear moves fairly fast when thrown and reappears almost immediately in her hand after it hits her enemy or misses and disappears from the screen. Also, there was some speculation that her normals might whiff if her enemy is really close in order to balance out the fact she's likely to have good reach, but it looks like she's able to hit her opponent even if they're standing next to her. And it does look like at least some of her attacks do have pretty good reach.

Edit: This post has some better analysis of the footage.

On 04/09/2016 at 0:04 AM, JustaMaskedFreak said:

Will she be free for limited time? Like every dlc char in Revelator?

The Famitsu article announcing the addition of Mai to the roster said she'll be a paid DLC character. I don't know if she'll have a period during which she'll be free like Es.

1 hour ago, Leiopelma said:

The Famitsu article announcing the addition of Mai to the roster said she'll be a paid DLC character. I don't know if she'll have a period during which she'll be free like Es.

Also, does her release will be immediately after the game release?

This post has some very nice Mai vs. Es gameplay. Give a big thanks to Calamitus for the find.

Looks like charging the spear allows you some pretty crafty things. You see Mai's charged toss miss Es and then Mai changes the trajectory (offscreen no less), thus forcing the opponent to block. It kind of reminds me of Mu-12 and her Steins positioning firing back during her 214A special in that regard (though with obvious differences). Mai's also got some mix-up on her, although I feel it is a bit on the slower side than most and as expected she's got some rather decent reach. Her multi-stab variable art is an excellent damage builder though take note that if you use it on an airborne opponent, it gives far less.

Her most obvious glaring weakness is, for the moment, the lack of a reliable reversal. The moment Es got her into a corner, there was little that Mai could do to get out of it. Her Distortions don't seem to help in the reversal business either. However, they really rack up the damage (plus I'm kind of a sucker for her "Spear Shoryuken" DD). She's also got a dive attack (I assume it is a special) so I'd like to think Mai the sort of character who can attack from any given angle.

That's about all I can manage at this short amount of time. I'm pretty sure someone else can fill everyone in with a more in-depth analysis. Happy viewing folks.

Things I noticed:

Let's start with the obvious. Big spear=good midrange control.

She has a big as heck overhead. It goes about a fourth to a third of the screen and although the animation is obvious it's fast.

She has a humongous AA normal. Can't say I know about it's invuln, but it can be seen hitting grounded foes as well.

Drive can be charged for greater rewards. The angle of the drive can be changed while it charges. During its flight the move can be redirected. It looks like from medium charge onward I think it can be combo'd from.

Low 2A and 2B from the looks of it. Both long reaching and both using her foot.

Natsumikaze is trash. Upon activation the opponent gets a moment to reflect on their choices and rapid into block or dodge.

She can use her "Dragoon Jump" super out of her command dash which helps make up for it's pitiable horizontal range in combos.

Her j.C, or at least I think it's her j.C, is weird. It's like Bullet's in that it hits the opponent upward normally, butit knocks down on counterhit, but instead this one emergency techs the opponent making its usefulness questionable.

Otherwise her knockdown in the air is done by her dive specials.

Es instantblocked her fullscreen rushing move and ended up having her own 2A trade with Mai's 3C...

Movelist.

Specials
Setsuna - 236
Himeyuri - 236A or A during Setsuna
Himeyuri Dou - 236B or B during Setsuna
Himeyuri Tori - 236C or C during Setsuna
Gekka - 214 (Air OK)
Suzuran - 214A or A during Gekka
Suzuran Dou - 214B or B during Gekka
Suzuran Tori - 214C or C during Gekka

Supers
Dankuuhouraika - 236D
Rikkaran'ousen - 214D (chargeable)

Thanks Dengeki.

I'm still wondering how she does that upwards swing of her spear that she anti-airs with.

As well as the difference between her 5BB into the pole vault kick on the A button and the C button. 

1 hour ago, FutonQueenErio said:

Really? I can only find the one about Es being free.

Oh whoops my bad, I misread the thread title when I posted. As far as I can find there's no news about Mai yet.

Mai's out today so I made a combo and video thread for you guys to use so go nuts guys!!! I'll keep an eye on things but I shouldn't have to do much since you guys can add combos to her wiki on your own and I'll be continuing to add matches to keeponblaz.in for everyone, including Mai. 

19 minutes ago, JustaMaskedFreak said:

What her overdrive does?

The official description just says it reduces the charge time of her Drive attacks, but it also buffs her specials; they become multi-hit and gain new properties.