Eshi

[BBCF] Amane Nishiki Gameplay Discussion

sR2AR.png

This thread will be used for any discussion of Amane himself. Keep it on topic (preferably gameplay but story is also relevant to some extent as long as it doesn't stray into general story/wishlist/etc.) so it doesn't become chaos in here.

General Information

Normals

A Moves
  • 5A- High slap/punch attack, whiffs on crouching
  • 6A- Anti air move with upper body invincibility. Jump cancelable
  • 2A- Crouching jab (not a low), surprisingly low reach
  • j.A- Jumping jab, can chain in itself in whiff and is the only overhead Amane has. Good for air to air to convert into a combo or bring the opponent in blockstun with you as you land and start pressure.

B Moves
  • 5B- Good move that covers a lot of area in front of Amane.  Hits 3 times.
  • 6B- Sends Amane diagonally upwards and back after using this move. Causes Fatal on CH. Lower body invincible on frame five. Throw invincible on frame 1 to 4. Allows air dash options afterwards, even on whiff. 
  • 2B- Hits low and a good starter
  • j.B- Scarf whip attack. Hits three times and has good range to hit down below. Not an overhead. Pretty long startup.
  • j.2B- Downwards spike. Amane interrupts his current air movement and goes straight down. He bounces back on hit or block unless done low enough to the ground. If used that way, lots of frame advantage. Not an overhead. Will not remain active until you land.

C Moves
  • Long range multi-hit pokes with slow startup. Hit 2 times from about 5 character lengths away (the knot at the end of the scarf). Second hit pulls opponents in. Will whiff at close range since there's no hitbox in between the knot and Amane. No hurtbox as well.
  • 5C- Scarf extends forward at about head level. Whiffs on crouching
  • 4C- Shorter but faster version of 4C. Not good for neutral or pressure but extremely good for combo routes.
  • 2C- Long range attack along the ground. First hit is low. Forces stand on hit.
  • 1C- Shorter but faster version of 2C. Only one low hit and doesn't force stand, but still pulls the opponent closer. 5B > 1C is a true combo and is also great for block strings.
  • 6C- Diagonally upwards reach. Causes fatal on CH. Pretty unreliable as an anti-air due to it's slow startup. Very useful in combos.
  • 3C- Sweep attack that slightly moves Amane forward. Only C attack that only hits once and isn't a long range attack like the rest. It's a regular normal.
  • j.C- Diagonally downwards striking scarf attack. Has good utility at neutral. Not an overhead.
  • j.6C- Scarf extends horizontally from Amane in the air. Mostly used for combos.
  • j.2C- Downward/down-forward striking attack. Not an overhead.

Drive: Spiral
  • 3 levels of drill gauge. Gauge increases upon using D attacks and decreases over time. Drill attacks last longer and do more damage with higher level. A drill stays active for a maximum of 16 frames. Drill meter builds on whiffed D attacks solely when you have level 3.
  • Drill can overheat if charged for too long. When overheated, D moves and D specials cannot be used for around 2-3 seconds. After the overheat, you will return to level 1.
  • Each attack will deal more hits if button is held down, with each hit contributing to the drill gauge. Can stop holding moves at any time by releasing the button.
  • Level 3 D moves do a very high amount of chip damage on block. They also have increased frame advantage
  • On hit, they'll do significantly more damage due to increase of both damage and proration.
  • On drill level 3, your gauge will actually raise faster making it easier to maintain it as well as overheating it.
  • As of Extend, all drills can be special canceled on block! This is for useful for for pressure when combined with Zettou and Hariken.
  • Overdrive: Drill gauge is fixed at level 3 and rapidly builds up to it if lower. Note that you can still overheat if you push the drill too much, but that should be pretty hard since it'll try to maintain your drill at level 3 the whole time.
Drive Moves
  • 5D- Lunges forward with drill arm. Long startup and existing hurtbox makes it risky to use it as a poke. Causes fatal on CH.
  • 2D- Thrusts drill upward. Can be used as anti-air, but the head invulnerability comes pretty late making it less reliable. Works great during combo.
  • 6D- Drill dropped from above about 3-4 characters away. Isn't an overhead. Easiest way to charge drill meter. Can be held indefinitely until overheat on block or hit, goes immediately into recovery on whiff now.
  • j.D- Downwards drill leg attack. Least damaging drill in Amane's drive attacks. Very strong pressure tool when combined with Zettou special cancel on block.
  • j.6D- Horizontal drill arm attack. Similar to 5D. Most damaging drive normal and should solely be used as a combo tool

Specials:
  • Hariken (236D)-
    Drill charge stance. Pressing A/B/C will summon a drill a set distance away from Amane (A being closest and C being farthest). Pressing D cancels the stance. Summoning a drill now has a hit of its own, allowing it to combo the opponent in air juggles. Summoned drills will last longer on higher drill levels. Drills can be hit to be nullified as they have a hurtbox. Any summoned drill will maintain the drill level from going down during active frames. Maximum active frames of 15 despite active time.
  • Gekiren (623C)-
    Summons cloth fist from underground. On hit it grabs the opponent and slams them to the ground. It's an unblockable strike that only hits airborne opponent. In BBCF, it's now possible to combo after on CH without having to Rapid Cancel. Will come out at a fixed distance from Amane unless used in the corner. Will be on screen next to the corner if the fixed distance would be off screen.
  • Raibu (236C)-
    A charging attack. Multi-hitting and with great knockback. Causes wallstick on corner hit. Unsafe on block so should be used in combos or to end them.
  • Ginga (214C)-
    Amane swipes a fan and summons a slow moving tornado. By far Amane's strongest special, this is great for extending corner combos, safely ending block strings and using meaty to stop roll techs and quick rise.
  • Gosei (j236C)-
    Air charging attack, like Raibu. Amane first goes diagonally downward then continues with one more hit on the ground. On last hit, Amane will autocorrect to face the opponent of ot applies. Unsafe on block at -7, but with 50 meter, you can make it safe or convert into a combo by using a Rapid Cancel into 2C.
  • Zettou (214A/B and 236A/B)-
    Command IAD-like hop move. The hop changes depending on the button used, A version is a smaller hop while B goes slightly higher and further. 236X hops forward while 214X hops backward. Can followup with normals after a little cooldown. You cannot cancel into anything besides movement and blocking options before a certain time. On ground Zettou, this is about 14-16 frames depending on the version. On air Zettou, this is 7 frames. Excellent pressure tool and useful in combos.
  • Seijuu (236236D)-
    Charging super. Damage is inflicted after the dash is complete on hit and is based on drill level. Has invuln and Amane will be a medium distance behind the opponent after the move has completed. Can followup into a combo with level 2 or 3 drill meter. Level 2 followup is 3C, level 3 is 6C. This super will cause overheat on hit of your drill level unless it's rapid canceled correctly.
  • Goukai (632146D)-
    Super that summons many drills that travel across the screen. No invuln frames. Pushes the opponent to the edge of the screen. Causes drill overheat. This super does really good damage even on level 1 and can be used to make combos burstsafe. You can increase damage by using Rapid cancel and by using Zettou into forward airdashes. That way the opponent eats more drills.

Misc:
  • Ground throw causes wall stick in the corner. Can be special canceled. Very versatile combo routes offered afterwards with good damage.
  • Amane uses his scarf as a bow and himself as an arrow for his air throw. Followup will vary depending on the height at which you throw. Basic one should be 6A jump canceled into air combo.
  • Taunt- Amane takes out a fan and fans himself.
  • Counter Assault uses 5B animation.

Wiki links (contribute if you can)

Amane Color Palettes

I officially christen this thread open! The BBCF demo is out and there's lots of tech to discuss now. It will take me some time but I'll update every thread as soon as I'm capable!

Thanks Eshi. Since I'm PS3 master race, I don't have hands on, but I like what 214C brings to the table. I'm probably going to keep forgetting about 1C/4C normals for the first month out of habit. Course I play Amane like Zettou are my KoF hops. Didn't know about the 6D overheat nerf on whiff. Hopefully Amane can carry me from being the shame of my Azrael-Nu filled scene, wwwww.

In b4 it becomes just Azrael-Nine until CF rebalance.

I came up with a 623c tech trap in the corner (it might not be all that new but still helpful). if you just do a generic combo in the corner say 5b>5d>214c>stuff>623c>2b>5b>5d (hold). If you hold 5d until the end of its active frames and then use 623c they will tech into and it's a free combo into about 3.8k. And if they start adjusting to it you can just do 236da and its basically the same thing. I haven't test this on lvl 2 and 3 drill but it's a nice way to get a life lead early on if you get them in the corner.

Wasn't sure if the proper place to post this was the video thread or general discussion. (Even though neither haven't had posts in almost two months). I'm looking for some critiquing on my Amane. I'm somewhat clumsy at keeping my opponents out. I'm okay at anti airing but not that great. I stick to the basic combo's, and my conversions off aa's with 5B is a bit weak. I know a little bit with what I need to improve on, but I could use a second or third pair of eyes to let me know what else I could work on. Mixup's are weak as well, I tend to go for the same gattling which is 5a or 2a > 6a > 5B > 5D > 236D cancel. It's problematic for players who're looking to poke out so I try to keep it safe by canceling sometimes into ginga. Any tips?

On 11/11/2016 at 10:23 PM, lF L A IR E said:

Wasn't sure if the proper place to post this was the video thread or general discussion. (Even though neither haven't had posts in almost two months). I'm looking for some critiquing on my Amane. I'm somewhat clumsy at keeping my opponents out. I'm okay at anti airing but not that great. I stick to the basic combo's, and my conversions off aa's with 5B is a bit weak. I know a little bit with what I need to improve on, but I could use a second or third pair of eyes to let me know what else I could work on. Mixup's are weak as well, I tend to go for the same gattling which is 5a or 2a > 6a > 5B > 5D > 236D cancel. It's problematic for players who're looking to poke out so I try to keep it safe by canceling sometimes into ginga. Any tips?

[videos]

Is: grounded normals into 236C really the grounded starter meterless bnb that amane is supposed to do?