Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ACTivegamerS

ACTivegamers Triple Threat @ Hawthorne, CA 11/14 (BB, T6, SF4!) $2.2K pot for BB!!

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that them saying they'll give us money on a website does not constitute a legally binding document.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer)... my understanding is that if their statements, which you took in good faith, induced you to act in a such a way you otherwise would not have, then some responsibility can be laid on the person making the claims. Think "maliciously leading you on".

In my case, I paid $36 and documentable amounts of travel costs (glad I paid with plastic this time) to attend this event where I wasted, at minimum, 3 hours of my time that could have been spent with my parents or sister, each 30-min drive away, had I known this event was a total loss; also I scuttled a trip to LA/FFA the week before (more enjoyable) for this event (misery), so my activities were totally changed around due to what they claimed. "They" could argue that I would've made the trip anyway, but in my still-growing ragepost, I [will probably] expound on how the wasted morning and disorganization dismayed me to the point where I pretty much just threw my matches to get the hell away/out, so everything building up to it (the 1am non-stop direct drive to HAX and the following wait) is tainted. Oh, and let's not forget the extra-hours burden we put on the restaurant after the event, compensated for by a near-unity gratuity rate (Goryus has receipt), heavy costs which would not have incurred had all the winners been [timely] (un)paid.

While not a legally-binding document in the colloquial sense ("piece of paper"), the site and posts had the elements of a contract as I understand it (again, IANAL). At the very least, a verbal contract (with all the fun aspects of trying to prove they said so).

If there are hints of backpedaling and history revisionism, it's best to start making snapshots/screenshots now, documenting the history of this muck; at very least, the evolution of the aftermath. I already made an archive of the first post the day I (pre-?)registered, and a screenshot of their web page just after I made my payment of $36 for a $30 entry fee. While hardly smoking guns, their mere existence means "they" will have to explain that stuff somehow. FWIW, in civil litigation, the metric is "preponderance of evidence" (whereas "beyond reasonable doubt" is for criminal cases).

It's best to consult a professional legal expert on this matter. I relayed relevant info thereof to SpiritJuice, I thought they were going to be passed on to MikeZ.

One interesting lawyer suggestion was to utilize mediation, where a legal professional (lawyer) acts as a guide to have both parties meet at a mutually-agreeable compromise. There are other non-court ways of resolving dispute as well (e.g. arbitration); in general, I follow the rule of thumb to reserve the courts as a last resort; courts are overbooked and lawsuits are frickin' expensive.

Ultimately, though... consult a lawyer before declaring/initiating any legal action.

I'm sure everything will be fine assuming those who deserve their money get it, and although AG hasn't really.. said.. anything at all since the event, I don't think they have any intent of starting a legal case. As mentioned, collect evidence if you feel called or that it really will come to that, but lets keep large legal action like that to a minimum until it becomes quite apparent that the money isn't arriving.

Hey guys, I heard that the money that was owed to the people that entered tourneys that didn't take place and also to the people who won tournaments has been sent and also received by some. Good shit. -Tha Hindu

I was gonna go to this but the venue fee was really turning me off. D:

It seems like every non-Evo major fighting game tournament on the West Coast has had problems running BlazBlue (let alone their whole tournament) stemming from lack of equipment, time management, and disorganization. :(

in other words, run more GG tournaments!

He's kind of like Render

you mean his japanese isn't that good? :psyduck: