Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reaVer

GG Xrd for steam OS (Linux) inquiry

So I got in contact with Feral Interactive through their stream and popped the idea of porting Xrd to Linux for entirely selfish reasons. They have expressed some interest in the idea. But as one buyer I'm not going to be enough and thus I'm here to inquire if more people here are interested in a port to Linux/SteamOS.

As a true Linux fanboiii I've never been disappointed with the OS despite me feeling that the others are getting worser every day. I haven't bought a PS4 for precisely this reason and this expectation came to fruition during the dutch major where it took 5 minutes to swap players because they had to figure out the active user and the correct button to confirm their selection with their controller. This in addition to the controller embargo that prevents PS3 sticks from working (and I like my VS:HG). Then there were the license checks that would simply disrupt the tournament games if the owner wasn't nearby quick enough to connect it to the internet. Oh man, the horror; remember the good old days with the PS2 where you just plugged and play?

With my PS3 I've also noticed the game has some performance issues which could cause players to just completely miss their inputs; so far this mostly happened in training mode but for me it's still a point of concern.

So I think for the GG community as a whole there is a business case in using a SteamOS/Linux version of the game. I'm not that big a fan of SteamOS itself, but I'm pretty sure the smart people around here (and myself) can set up a Linux install that is tournament grade or even better. We could then use steamboxes or create our own and make GG tournaments great again!

So if there's people interested, let me know. Either PM or in this thread. This thread is not to discuss Feral's business case or a place for you to rant about how unprofitable it seems to you (a discussion you will lose anyway). This is also not a vote, so I hereby request that any posts not representing interest are removed by the mods. If there's enough interest, this thread will be sent to Feral Interactive for them to make a decision.